Sunday, May 12, 2019

Brazos House - Off To The Races Retreat

Round Two has begun and I think we are ready.  I absolutely adore Val each year when she takes over the May retreats in theme, decorating, projects, and much, much more.  She is a true living saint and I will always treasure her friendship.  I'm still a crazy person with teaching, picture taking, and general "stuff", but the role is definitely reduced and I love it.

First thing, we are off to Babe's for the "Let's get this party started" lunch.  As I go to my car, it becomes obvious that I haven't driven much lately.  A spider has taken up residency and her web is quite intricate.  Can you see it?

For the second time in a row, we are fortunate to be seated in the lighted gazebo.  It's great for conversation and passing food.  Good times and a chance to get caught up on each other's lives.




With satiated tummies, we are back at the ranch, so to speak, and I'm finishing cutting jeans into squares and making potholders out of the pockets.  Four into my treasure trove today.


Right out of the gate, Sherri has a rug TA-DA


AND --- we are having a watercolor mug rug class that gets underway.  All of these supplies are leftover from my 2 Whimm's kits.  Soooooo much.


It's a chance to work with floral squares in a watercolor manner AND use grid to make the top.  For many, this are a couple of firsts.  Once the backings are together, an original applique moves onto it.  Finishing touches include a batting and backing, quilting, then binding.  Of course, there's one more thing and the reason everyone is making these.  A charm!

They go quick and I'll share all the wonderful TA-DA's, hopefully in the order they were achieved.

Right out of the gate are Ramona and Maria!

Followed by Rocky and Sherri


Gilley is next and I'm right behind her.


Linda comes to the finish line and Frieda's is complete too.


Lana finishes the race next.


We have to throw in a quilt top TA-DA too.  Yay Debi.


Gwen has her mug rug, but doesn't appear to be too happy with it.  I think a lesson was learned somewhere along the way, but I love it.  TA-DA    Frieda also has a backing TA-DA


Meri Roo and her first quilty item TA-DA, along with Val's wine glass as she celebrates finishing the race.


I don't know when Debi's was finished, but TA-DA.  I stole this picture when she wasn't looking.


Yes, other stuff went on today, but that's all I have pics for.  Last ladies standing and we'll see you tomorrow.


Friday - Good morning everyone?  Are we ready to really race today????  It's on.  As I walk around the room, I usually take pictures of stations and they are only seen in our group album.  However, today, one catches my eye.  The tortoise and the hare.  Hmmmm.  Which one are you today, Ramona?

I have my bobbins wound, my machine oiled, strips are laid out and I've been fed and watered.  It's time to get this race underway.  Ladies, start your engines!!!  And away we go -----   There are a ton of pictures in Our Quilt World showing everyone in the various stages of racing.  It was a crazy, stressful 55 minutes and my heart pounded so much.  I'm not sure this was healthy as I look back on it, but I did manage to pull it off.  I did win, but only because Maria ran out of bobbin at just the wrong time.  She was finished within 3 minutes of me.


 The mighty Maria ----


 Ramona came up shortly after with her two halves -- she's trying a different method for finishing.


Taking 3rd place is Lana!  Congrats.


Gilley comes up next


Followed by Sherri, who had technical issues and had to have a severe talk with her horse.


Frieda and pink square additions


Meri


Linda, with her little four-patch additions


Ramona takes the stand next and has cut hers, resewn it, and added borders.  Wow


The whole time we have been racing (or just sewing along), Stephanie has been sitting at her station working away on her Golden Scissors attempt.  She is finished and TA-DA - front


and even a pieced back.


A quick little device holder is made by me -- the kit gifted a couple of retreats back by Frieda.


The race rolls on --- Lydia TA-DA with little white squares added.


Linda and Ramona have moved on and made these darling Origami Bags.  We must have some too so they are roped into teaching a mini-class tomorrow.  TA-DA


My backing, binding, and label are finished for my jelly roll race top --- this one is ready to quilt.


With her quilt behind her, Stephanie is playing catch-up.  Mug rug TA-DA


And - just like that, it is evening and game time.  Are you  ready for the races?  I think Val is.  And, she's off.


She has some competition in Lana


And we have Derby girls ready to lend support -


Okay -- focus everyone.  I have LOTS of things to award tonight.  First up is GOLDEN SCISSORS!!!!


And several advancements in our wonderful program.  I'm pretty sure that a few of these don't know it's happening while others are right on top of it.  Ruby status is awarded to:  LINDA



And Ramona ---



Next up is a Sapphire award --- and she is SHOCKED!!  Can you tell?  Yes, you, Stephanie.



Last week I said that we didn't have any advancements.  I was wrong.  Write that down -- I'm saying it out loud.  I was wrong.  I have no idea how, but this is #21 for LYDIA --- She is PEARL (and wasn't aware so I don't feel quite so bad for missing it, hahaha).


The next PEARL is fully aware and bows before me to remove her Emerald tiara.  Congratulations Sherri!!!  Green off, pearly white on.



We are still not done with business ---- door prizes are to be given.  Our winners tonight are Gilley and Lydia.  Awesome and thank you so much to those who so kindly donate to the group.  Without all of you, this could not happen.


Okay --- finally, we are off to the LCR speed zone.  Are your fat quarters ready?  Lucky Sherri strikes again.


Lap two goes to Gwen and I have NO IDEA why she looks sad this time.


The third lap finds Gilley the winner!


And that's all folks!  The game nights are behind us until October.  Wow.  That seems like a long time.

Oh wait, two hats make the post --- Another tortoise/hare by Ramona and this dazzling feather display by Gilley.  Wow --- Derby Hats all the way.  There were more, but I didn't get up close pictures.  My bad.


Samantha, who arrived late, started the race anyway and has her TA-DA.


Followed by Gwen's TA-DA


Gilley has a cool TA-DA


And I'm done!!  Midnight was enough for me.  These gals made it until the wee hours.  Last ladies standing.


Saturday - it's time for a river check.  How high's the water Mama?  Sherri is ready to check it out.


It's moving back up again.  More rain up north and here as well last night.


Stephannie has stopped by and we coerce her into taking our group picture as we have someone leaving right early today.  These ladies mean the world to me and I thank them for their love, understanding, and willingness to spend time with me.  Those are treasures I can never put a price tag on.  Back row:  Gwen, Meri, Ramona, Rocky, Stephanie, Lana, Val, Frieda, Debi  Front row:  Maria, me, Samantha, Janet, Linda, Gilley, Sherri, Lydia.  Hugs to all.


Janet has finished - TA-DA - Christmas


As has Val --- love it.


Frieda with a baby top TA-DA


As I was sitting in the kitchen enjoying my lunch and visiting, I looked out the window and saw Sherri trying to get my attention from down by the river.  Off I went in a hurry and this is what I found her and Rocky looking at.  Oh my -- a giant centipede that the river brought up.


Not knowing how hard they bite, I put my hand up for a size reference.  No, I didn't get bit, but I sure won't test the water that way again anytime soon.


Speaking of the water, it is about to come over the top onto the platform.  No more steps can be seen.


Here's your final EWWWWW -- we let it go and up into the tree it slowly went.  I would have thought with that many legs it could scurry rapidly.


Up at the house, Val has completed a second top from her jelly roll race.  TA-DA


Samantha has her mug rug finish - TA-DA


I dart back down to the river and OMG --- it is really moving up rapidly.


I am on the platform and yet, standing in the river.  Crazy.


Forty-five minues later -


And another 45 minutes has this:


The river has been just fascinating to all of us this past week.  This pic is OUTSIDE the gate to the platform.  Wow.


Lydia with a TA-DA


All of the mug rugs are together finally --- They are just so cool


Ever since Lana finished the jelly roll race, she has been on a mission.  To turn that top into a quilt and earn her GOLDEN SCISSORS!!!!  It's done!  Congratulations.



Rocky has her Jelly Roll Race - TA-DA -- she did one larger and also the cut method.


I am having such a great time making the bags that Linda and Ramona taught today.  I KNOW I took pictures while they were showing us, but for some reason, they have gone into cyberspace on a walkabout.


Stephanie is catching up --- Her jelly roll race TA-DA


The last trip to the river for the night.  Kay thinks it could be up to the main firepit by morning.  Really?


It's risen a little more, but is slowing down.  Maybe it quit raining up north.


Loving our girl time


Bingo takes center stage after we return and then ----- suddenly --- Meri Roo has her TA-DA.


Like Lana --- she has been busy, busy, busy turning her jelly roll race top into a finished quilt.  It's a GOLDEN SCISSORS TA-DA.



She is followed up by Debi with her jelly roll race top -- the cut method and borders


And before we know it --- another night has come to an end.  It is the last night picture and I've had a great time.  Tomorrow, the work begins.


Sunday - Happy Mother's Day to all!!  Can I catch a sunrise?  I jump out of bed in the high hopes and discover that someone has beat me down there.


I'm a wee bit too late but manage to get a little color.  The river has DROPPED!  It's down about 15 feet from last night and everyone is breathing easier.  Especially Kay.



The platform has been left with a thick coat of much.  Ugh.  I'm sure it'll dry and blow off, but for now it is so slippery.


I'm going to put these pics in here before I close out with final shots.  I want to thank everyone that made my birthday so very special.  You the best friends a gal could every hope to have and I am thankful each and every day that y'all are in my life.  Ya spoiled me good.


Here's also a shot of the goodies from the last two weeks except my little square storage box and gloves are missing.  I love them too, though, and everyone was so thoughtful.


The house is emptied -- we've cleaned as much as we can -- and it's time to say Brazos Out!  Love these ladies so, so much.  (There's a little bit more --keep reading)


While driving home, I think the red flowers along the road are just incredible but can't find a good place to stop and get a picture.  Check out the rear view mirror.

My tulips are in the seat beside me and the sunlight on them is beautiful too.  Ahh, my heart is happy.  The music is on high and I'm heading home to my sweetie for a day and then to see my own mother on Tuesday.  Hello Dallas.  I'm ready to be back.


More tulips!!!  How many made it this far?


Oh my.


My sweetie knows me so well.  It's time for a beer and chichirones!!!   I hope your night is good too.

2 comments:

  1. You always have the best time at the Brazos retreats! Would someone share how they are cutting up the jelly roll race quilts? I think they look better cut up like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. We do have an amazing time there. I spotted this post online and I think it's what they did. Scroll down for the second variation. http://nightowlquilting.blogspot.com/2019/02/dignity-quilt-jelly-roll-race-variation.html

      Delete