Saturday, December 31, 2022

December 2022 Monthly Quilt Update

 Our theme this year is just so fun.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post and another  Monthly LINK as well.  I'm super excited about where this will take me.  I know we all have colors that may not bring on the warm fuzzies, but this will be a chance to really challenge ourselves and we may find that our tastes can change.

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.


 In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (hopefully), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

Onto December and the bliss of RED.


Please remember that any links in here will open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads or popups EVER.

Here is your December BINGO card -


1st -  The Secret Lives of Color - Scarlet - Make one 9 1/2" block and two 3 1/2" blocks.  From martyrdom to ill repute, religion to royalty, and military to barbarians Scarlet has quite the connections.  Do a little reading and you'll be shocked.


The big push is on to decorate the house.  Today is den and dining room.



Oh goodness.  It's December 1st and that means I get to open one of the gifts in my Advent Box from MSQC.  Jenny's Box, as it is more lovingly called.  What do you suppose it is?


A Christmas Ornament!  Straight onto my little, quilting tree it goes.  (It's the little tree in the den picture above.)




2nd - SLC Block L - layout and finish.  This will be a fast and furious month for this project.


Day 2 for Jenny's Box - a cute little Christmas themed Charm Pack.


I have the work in the house finished and here is the Decorating LINK if you wish  to check it all out.  Even the spare room is ready for Jen to arrive tonight.


Late night baking --- cinnamon rolls for tomorrow.  Yes, these have a recipe page on the main blog and here is the LINK.  I made two pans for tomorrow - one with nuts and one without.


3rd - SLC Block M - layout and finish


I forgot to take a picture of the envelope before opening today's gift, BUT it works with yesterdays fun.  Today there is a pattern and binding fabric to make a fun mug rug or mini quilt.  I just have to add backing and batting and it's going to Montana to be made there.


Today is the annual cookie exchange party and I'm super stoked.  Here is the Party LINK so you can see all of our wonderful fun.


Once the party is over, the mess cleaned up, and a deep breath taken - a look in the yard shows the beauty of this time of year.



4th - SLC Block N - layout and finish


Day 4 of Jenny's Box - what will it be?


How fun is this?  It's a binder to hold MSQC patterns and another pattern to get things going.  I immediately grab the stack of patterns on my dresser (I've been wondering where to put them) and into the binder they go.  Perfect.



The rest of my day is spent on pictures and November posts.  Once that is done, the decision is made to just relax the rest of the day.  Mister went shopping as he wants to make peanut brittle and marshmallows and needed a few supplies.  

5th - The Secret Lives of Color - Cochineal - Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  Cochineal comes from female insects, scarcely larger than a pinhead.  It takes THOUSANDS to create the color and, believe it or not, kingdoms have fallen due to it - including the Aztec and Inca.  This is STILL the way this color is attained.  Crazy.


Jenny's Box Day 5 - a couple of necessary items.  Great gift items.


My love knows how hard this time of year is and brought me these today!!!  What a gem.  Also, I remembered to take a picture of the beautiful scarf that my friend Gwen gifted me.  It's glorious.


It's a doctor day --- I have a ct scan.  Fun times.  Someday we'll figure this old body out.



My brain clicked in and I was able to get the post for the 2023 theme written and posted.  Here is your LINK to learn all about our upcoming adventure.


Now, I REALLY need to start thinking about the 2023 SAL's.  We have three Civil War groups going and I haven't even begun.  In the fabric comes and it's time to sort.  This is a DEEP tub and I don't think the three tops will even put a dent in it.



Also some cutting happened while watching television.  The sashings for OHD are ready to sew.


We have a date this evening and are off to the Dallas Zoo for some holiday magic.  They have reinstated the walking tour and I'm excited.  Here is the Zoo Lights LINK if you want to check out all of the amazing lights.



6th - Big Block 5 - layout and finish


Day 6 of Jenny's Box - how fun is this?  Where shall I put it?


I noticed that all of the violets are blooming - they were almost dead at one point so this is miraculous. 




Let the cutting begin.  So, so much to do.


7th - SLC Block O - layout and finish


Jenny's Box Day 7 - Another fun project to take to Montana.  Whoot, whoot.



The cutting continues ---- the mess grows.


Making progress though.


A peek outside is quite depressing.  WOW!


8th - SLC Block P - layout and finish


Day 8 of Jenny's Box - super cute AND it's a project to make a pin cushion on top of the lid.



Are you noticing that I just keep adding fabric?  The truth is that with each block I cut, I take from the tote so I haven't used the same fabric twice - YET.


Another two batches finished today.



AND, with that, I locate the rest of the parts for this quilt and bag it all up.  One down.


9th - The Secret Lives of Color - Vermilion - Make one 6 1/2" block and one 3 1/2" block.  The red-wine stone of cinnabar is where this color is derived.  It has a VERY sordid past along with the  more holy version.  Additionally, the alchemists at the time wanted to keep the method of creation to themselves and for those who witnessed it -- the word magic was thrown about.


Day 9 Jenny's Box - Oooooh - more items to go with yesterday's buttons and another project for the Montana bag.  This is fun.


Red Hat Holiday luncheon time and here is the super fun  LINK to check it out.  We are at the Galleria.


I'm actually sitting at the sewing machine and getting a start on a multitude of projects.  How did I get so far behind?


As evening falls, it's pretty eerie out.



10th - SLC Big Block 6 - layout and finish


Jenny's Box Day 10 - this one is small.  Hmmmm.  Once again, a couple of necessities.  Especially with the project from yesterday.  I love how it is all fitting together.


Mister and I are tackling the yard today.  Ugh - here is the Yard LINK to share in our misery.


Speaking of Mister - he got a new lens today and is one happy camper.  Merry early Christmas to him.


As a reward for the hard work this morning, we are out for the evening.  Check out all of our fun in this LINK.  


11th - Block Q - layout and finish


Day 11 Jenny's Box - 


Oooooh, what is coming next?  Fabric and thread mean something, right?


Somehow, I finished cutting a few things and made it to the layout stage.  Goodness, I'm slow this month.  Sewcialites block.


Sashings for Oh Happy Day.


Two Sewcialites in layout, plus the stars for OHD cornerstones.  Maybe someday I'll sew again.  Oh, hidden under the book are January's blocks for the upcoming Sew-a-long.  At least they are cut.


12th - SLC Block R - layout and finish


Day 12 Jenny's Box - What a cool item and MUCH needed.  It'll come in handy next month while I do some handwork in Montana.  I'm thinking a LOT of this box is being packed.


I SEWED!!!!!  Miracle of miracles.  One Sewcialite block done.


It's time to do some grocery shopping around here.  I had boiled the last of the eggs and wanted to make egg salad sandwiches, only to discover that we were also out of mayonnaise.  Mister to the rescue.  It was soooooo good and the first time he has made it.


Back to sewing and the sashings are together.  Woot woot.


More cutting of Civil War blocks has taken place.  I'm trying to go back and forth between sitting and standing.


AND - drumroll please, I'm a great-auntie again.  Avrielle arrived today and Uncle just HAD to go to Costco to shop tonight.  Such a fun man.  My niece opted to find out gender upon delivery so . . . we all had to wait too.


13th - SLC Block S - layout and finish


Well, there's warnings out everywhere right now.  Could be a bumpy ride.


But, no.  This is the worst we got at our house.  Others had much, much more to deal with and I feel so very bad for them, but at the same time we are thankful to have escaped another one.


A little sewing happened and I am caught up with Sewcialites.


While I am talking with Mom on the phone, I notice a gathering in the front yard.


They just keep on coming.


Oh my, I almost forgot Jenny's Box for day 13.  That would be rather unlucky, right?


How fun are these?  Red and White to boot.  Another Montana item.


My stars are DONE!!  Bits of progress here and there.


However, most of my time has been devoted to cutting Civil War blocks.  There are just so many to get done.


And my table just continues to be covered.


DM and SB have both arrived and are instantly cut.


14th - The Secret Lives of Color - Rosso Corsa - Make one 6 1/2" block and one 3 1/2" block.  Think car racing and you have this color.  It means "racing red" and was adopted by Enzo Ferrari for his cars all because of a race that took place in 1907.


Day 14 Jenny's Box - Another PERFECT item to go with the projects I have ahead.  I'm loving this.


By the time the middle of December rolls around, I really have to turn my thoughts to the holidays a bit.  Today is Chex Mix day and I'm making 6 gallons of it.


Since I have to stir every 15 minutes for 6 hours, it's a good time to get some more cutting done.


More and more of my table continues to be covered.  I have a tote of CW fabric and I'm bringing it in with each block I cut so that I can attempt to avoid the same fabric twice in a the quilt.  The stack of scraps in the center is going towards Dear Jane.


Towards late afternoon, the kitchen has released me and I get a chance to sew a bit.  One more DM block is done AND I have the SB quilt top finished.  I'm kinda done in for today.



15th - SLC Big Block 7 - layout and finish


Day 15 of Jenny's Box 


LOVE this little tote to carry all the items we need as we move about AND fun fingernail stickers too.  All of the small items are going in the tote for the trip - super convenient.


I decided to make ONE Dear Jane block to get an idea of how long this is going to take.  Abrupt plan changes ensued.  This will now be a 2 year program.  Goodness, what was I thinking?


The final Illusions fabric has arrive and all the borders and binding are cut and ready to go.


Back in the kitchen, Mister wants some homemade marshmallows.  Let's get them done.


16th - The Secret Lives of Color - Hematite - Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  This color has played major roles in spirituality.  From burial cloth and rituals it led one to associate it with blood and became prized.  


Jenny Box Day 16 - 


Nice - always helpful to have in the various places.  Now I have one in my retreat bag, my studio, my bedroom, and this one can go to Montana.  It's also reminding me that with all of this cutting, I should change my rotary blade.


However, the focus for today is on shipping.  It all needs to go this afternoon.  This is always a hard day for me and today was no different.  It is a dark day and my meltdown was epic.  I will always wonder how my husband gets through these.


Once all the boxes were gone (courtesy of Mister), I sat and laid out January's BB blocks.  These are going to be so cool.


Then, to lighten the day I made peanut brittle.  No pics though, so you'll just have to believe me.

17th -  SLC Block T - layout and finish 


Day 17 Jenny's Box.  Hmmmm.


Ahhhh, cute and red and white for the holiday season in my home.  It'll stay with the Christmas stuff.


We are out and about for the weekend and I'm thrilled to share this Day 1 LINK  so you can travel with us.  For my retreat gals, there is a fabulous part in here about the dinosaurs in Glen Rose.  It will make you giggle.  It's been a day filled with goats, donkeys, amazing accommodations and a ZEBRA.  Check it out.




18th - The Secret Lives of Color - Madder - Make one 9 1/2" block and one 3 1/2" block.  This time we are dealing with flowers.  It comes from the roots and by 1879 could be created synthetically.  It was used as far back as 1500 B.C. and fabric stained with it was even found in King Tut's tomb.


Day 18 Jenny's Box - this is super cute and going into my Montana fun.  I'm super excited about all I will be able to work on up there next month.


We are still playing in Liberty Hill and here is the Day 2 LINK so you can see all of our amazing fun - especially with the zebra.



19th - Big Block 8 - finish only because somehow I missed taking the layout picture


Jenny's Box Day 19 - a fun perpetual calendar.



My morning starts nice and cozy on the sofa letting Mister sleep in.  We have to return home today and I want to enjoy this as long as I can.


On the way home, we make one stop at Poppy's Quilt N Sew - a cute little shop but I didn't take pictures although we sure enjoyed visiting with those who were working.  It's definitely worth a stop in.


I did spot one item that caught my attention, but they didn't have the pattern in stock.  Hmmmmm.


20th - The Secret Lives of Color - Dragon's Blood - Make one 6 1/2" block and one 3 1/2" block.  What a cool name for a color, right?  The myths associated with this make purchasing the book worth it all by themselves.  There are nubs of truth in the myths and trees are involved.  The color lost it's popularity when widespread belief in dragons subsided.


Day 20 Jenny's Box - a charm pack of solids.  I bet another project is coming up.


Looking at the calendar has me a bit scared.  I need to be ready for THREE sew alongs starting in 11 days.  Back to the cutting board for me.  More blocks are kitted up, but there are SOOOO many still to go.


My second DJ block.  The center is not wonderful, but I can live with it.  First time to do this method of applique.  I think I like it and hopefully by the time this project is complete in two years, I'll be good at it.  I did say "hopefully".


21st - SLC Block U - I forgot the layout picture - ugh.  The colors are:  top = Hematite, Violet, Prussian Blue.  Larger block = Rosso Corsa   Side top = Magenta  Side bottom = Vermillion


I'm off to Costco today.  Mister wants some socks along with the required groceries and gift cards I'm picking up.  The question is - which ones does he want?


In the process, I spot these slippers and I'm sooooo stoked.  I love them and they were only 10 bucks.  What a deal.


I forgot to open my package this morning - Jenny's box Day 21.  I knew it.  Something to make with yesterday's charm pack and another item for my Montana bag.  I'm going to be busy up there.


More blocks kitted up - 


We are treated to a beautiful sunset tonight - 


22nd - SLC Block V - layout and finish


Day 22 of Jenny's Box - okay, I haven't been bit by the "bolting" bug yet, but this may give it a jump start.


I've received two VERY similar Christmas Cards - how fun.  These people really KNOW me.


So - I mentioned the other day that cold weather was coming.  It's here!


I'm off to go to Costco again this morning.  I loved my slippers so much that Mister sent me back for more and I picked up a pair for him too.  The crazy part is yesterday there were two pallets of men's and two pallets of women's slippers.  Each pallet probably had at least 15 layers of boxes.  This morning there was one pallet of each and only about 3 layers left.  It is a GOOD deal.  I picked up a black pair for at home and a pair to take to Mom's and that leaves me one back-up pair just in case.  Perfect.


It is still brutally cold out and I'm still cutting away on blocks.  I told myself I'd have the area all cleaned up for Christmas.  Will I?


23rd - SLC Big Bloc 9 - layout and finish - we'll take a few days break now


That's it for now ---- I've kitted up all I'm going to for a bit.


Mister is keeping the bird bath full of warm water and the robins are taking advantage.  He's such a sweet man.


Jenny's Box Day 23 - another fun project to make.  You know where it's going.


I am SEWING today.  Joy-Filled blocks are done.


Another DJ block


The blocks for BB Sew-Along are ready and so is the post.  One down.


Snuggling in with Mister for the evening - we went back in time.


Check out the sewing machine.


24th -  Happy Christmas Eve!!!  Day 24 of Jenny's box


These are way cool.  I love it and would never have bought this for myself.  I can't wait to try them out.


The marshmallows are being cut and sugared today - they are sooooo good.



Then, it's off to take my mind off the fact that I'm not around any family at all.  Hello sweetheart.  Don't judge - we all cope our own ways and 2 beers is not terrible.


Mister coped different.  Two forks - one partaker.  I love Brussel Sprouts, they don't love me.


25th - Merry Christmas!!!  Jenny's Box Day 25 - a super cute tray.



All of my treasures!!!  This has been such fun and I am definitely going to do it again next year.


Christmas morning delights as we get to open our gifts and stockings from Santa.  Yep - we must have been good this year because they were filled.


Now for It's a Wonderful Life.  Original version.


With hot cocoa and the most yummy marshmallows.


With prime rib, baked potato, brown butter peas, and Yorkshire pudding for dinner.  Way to go Mister.



26th - SLC Block W - layout and finish


On Christmas Eve, we discovered that we had a flat tire and Mister put the donut on.  This morning he has an appointment to get it fixed and I'm along for the ride.  Stopped at the store - woah.


Then we went to London for lunch.  At least it felt that way.


Fish and Chips is the order of the day.  So good.


Back home and a bit of sewing happened.  A couple of LU blocks and Sewcialites is caught up again.


27th - SLC Big Block 10 - layout and finish


I'm making progress on LU blocks.  I just have 2 more to do.


While watching television this evening, I'm working on some applique parts for DJ.


Here is the block - temporarily pinned.


28th - SLC Block X - finish - once again I blew the layout picture  Upper left going down = Lavender, Archil,  Scarlet   Larger block = Electric Blue   Bottom row middle = Dragon's Blood  Bottom Row right - Periwinkle


Morning hand-work while my sweetie sleeps in a little later.  I'm doing my best at turned-edge applique and have finally found a method that works for me.  Freezer paper and tiny stitches before appliqueing.  I can do this.


Once Mister is up, he wants out of the house today and has tickets to a couple of new exhibits at the DMA so we are dressed and gone before I can barely blink.  Here is the Downtown LINK so you can share in our sights.


After a day of fun, my evening entertainment consists of more applique and preparing parts for the same.  I am on a definite learning curve right now.


29th -  SLC Big Block 11 - finish only as I must have been asleep when doing these.  The larger blocks are:  upper left = Ultramarine  lower right - Woad


With only a few days left in the month and family due in late tonight, I'm really cutting things down to the wire to get ready for the beginning of three sew-alongs.  ALL days is spent working on blocks, doing laundry, cleaning house, and wrapping gifts.  Nothing like a little procrastination to make one focus.


Now - all of my Loyal Union blocks are complete for January.  Woot woot.


Five more Dear Jane blocks hit the done column as well.  I'm down to just three remaining before the 1st.  Now, for family.


30th - SLC Big Block 12 - layout and finish


My daughter and her family arrived late last night so we are out playing today.  With this - Jen's Family Visit LINK you can see all of our incredible time together, just hanging out.  My heart is so full after their visit - I'm ready for the New Year now.


Fun times working a mystery puzzle together.


31st - Secret Lives of Color layout and finish.  Do I love it all?  I'm not thrilled with the lower left corner as I feel in the picture it is too white - in real life, it's better.  The upper right feels as though the 6 1/2" block on the lower left and the 9 1/2" blocks on the lower right should have had colors reversed.  Overall though, for winging it as I went, it's pretty fun and I will remember this year of color forever.  I had toped to have this completely finishing by today, but life got in the way.  I think I'm going to embroider "The Secret Lives of Color" in variegated thread down in the white section.  We'll see.


Jen's family left this morning and, after getting the house back in shape, I set to finishing my Dear Jane blocks.  Woohoo!  They are done and ready for tomorrow's posting.


That means that all are done and ready to go.  The countdown begins now.


What is left for this year?  Well, here are the yearly post links.  Finished Non-Quilt Items 2022 and Finished Quilts 2022.  With that, I get to say good-bye to December, the Year of Color, AND 2022.  That's a lot to say farewell to.  I am looking forward, though, and that brings us to January and a new year and theme.  We are Binding Us Together and that will provide just so much fun.  Are you ready for a new adventure? The original post on this theme can be found HERE.


Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative Y'all.

UFO's to quilt:   

BOM #1 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #2 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #3 - quilt and bind - 
Winter Wonderland - quilt and bind -
Witch's Night Out - quilt and bind - 
Quarantine Challenge - quilt and bind - 
Dawn's Early Light - quilt and bind - 
Xing - quilt and bind - 
Straits of Mackinac - quilt and bind
Ruby Slippers (a.k.a Emerald City) - quilt and bind
Pfeffernusse - quilt and bind 


Current Projects:

Summer Moon Blocks - Current
Farm Girl - backing/binding made - 
Sandcastles - 
Rhododendron Trail - 
Illusions BOM - Waiting on borders
Ruby Jubilee -  Ready to set
Red Table Runner - Boing to Montana
Secret Lives of Color - Current
Round Robin (mine) - 
Long May She Wave - Ready for sashing and borders
Oh Happy Day - Ready to set
Designer Mystery - Current
Skillbuilder - Working on backing, binding, and label
Puzzler Blocks - Current

UFO Items to work on:
 
Neutral strings - 
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
Whims 2nd quilt - 

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stocking - Is in Montana - will work on during trips up there

Links to Previous 2022 Monthly Posts - 

July 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment