Sunday, July 31, 2022

July 2022 Monthly Quilt Update

 


Our theme this year is just so fun.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post and another July LINK as well.  I'm super excited about where this will take me.  I know we all have colors that may not bring on the warm fuzzies, but this will be a chance to really challenge ourselves and we may find that our tastes can change.  

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.



 In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (hopefully), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

Onto July and the gorgeous yellow of summer.  


Please remember that any links in here will open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads or popups EVER.

Here is your July BINGO card - 

1st - Summer Moon has posted once again - I hope you are loving this as much as I am.


Speaking of Summer Moon - I have fixed June's blocks and have the correct small frames attached.  Goodness, what a silly mstake.


As for the rest of my world?  Well, July is play with felt month.  Lots of tiny pieces of felt as I continue the quiet book process.  My nest is in full mess mode and will be until I get these pages finished.


I did manage to complete these two pages today.  A BINGO mark for sewing with yellow thread gives me my start on this month's motivator.

2nd - The Secret Lives of Color - Blonde.  make three 3 1/2" blocks.  Did you know that "true" blondes only make up around 2% of the population?  They are almost as rare as us redheads.  Crazy!  However, it IS the most desirable color and the most often requested dye.  Not ALL of history on it is wonderful though -- however, ya gotta get the book for more.

The weekend is here and we are off to try a new coffee shop.  This one had lots of flair and fun, but we just weren't thrilled with the coffee itself.  I have to admit that using pictures as a table marker is a fun idea though.


Since Mister is still in search of a good cup of coffee this morning, stop number two takes place and this one has the ticket.  Great coffee and yummy food.  Oh, and a giggle thrown in for good measure.


Perhaps even a new quilt design idea is brewing along with the coffee.


It is blessed hot out but a quick stop at Central Market for groceries and I'm back to my little pieces of felt.  Two more pages today.  Also, my BINGO mark for applique.  It's by hand, but is indeed applique on each and every one of these pages.

3rd - We need to walk.  The zoo provides us just that opportunity.  It is member morning so we are up and off bright and early to share some fun with the animals before they get overly warm too.  BINGO mark for the walk and here is the LINK if you wish to check it out.  Love, love, love the animals.




Sunset heading home from east Texas.

While driving, I worked on the quiet book and made a lot of progress on fishing page - well, at least the pole is done. 

4th -  Happy Birthday America!!  We are opting to spend the day at home and I'm okay with that.  I have soooo much to do on this project, that sitting and stitching is just perfect when it's 104 outside.  I made some fresh strawberry granita for dessert and it's just so yummy.  The fishing page AND the Under The Sea pages are done.  It was a good day and I'm pleased with the progress.

5th - The Secret Lives of Color - Lead-tin Yellow.  Make two 2 1/2" blocks.  This was the yellow of the Masters, but has been lost over time.  What happened?  There are a lot of questions surrounding this.  Read and discover the guesses.

The last of the quilts tops in our Round Robin has been received so I can share this Round Robin LINK with y'all and you can share in our happiness.  It was fun and what a great group of women to work with.  I have to say ---- everyone did a decent job of keeping up and staying on schedule.

Now, I want to do Butternut Squash Burrito Boats this week and that means I need to cook some black beans.  Here is a truthful moment:  I've never cooked them before.  Yep, always bought the canned ones.  Here goes nothing.


Meanwhile, the quiet book mess is growing all over the house.  The dining room table is covered with pages ready to be attached to their backings and the den is just one big mess.  This is my complete focus right now.


I'm cutting again today and hoping to get the last 5 pages finished.


I get three of them, but they are the hardest three of the whole book.  Whew.  So many little pieces of felt.

6th - First things first today - finish the cutting on the last two pages and they are done pretty quick.  Yay!!  Now for some stitching and by the time the day is done (yes, it takes almost all day) - I have the Igloo Puzzle page finished.

7th -  The Secret Lives of Color - Indian Yellow.  make two 3 1/2" blocks.  This pigment is often associated with unpleasant substances, however it has a rich history in India.  Learn, my friends, learn.

As for my day ---- well, I've finished two more pages AND gotten a strong start on the third.  All in all --- another good day.

8th - I am determined to finish up the dinosaur page AND make progress on the fire truck.  By the time I call it a day, one page is complete and I'm down to just a fire extinguisher, a fireman, and a Dalmatian before the truck page can be said to be finished as well.  Close - oh so close.

9th - It's the weekend again.  Goodness, but this week zipped right by.  We are going to get some shopping done this morning and are off for coffee when this jerk (red car) loses their stuff over lane things.  Seriously, he was in the left lane and his lane had to merge with ours.  Apparently, we were in his way and this made him mad.  Mad enough to throw a can at our car as we got onto the highway.  Crazy people.


Coffee is found ---- along with sweet treats.


Then some shopping.  

First, Mister bought a new camera.  YES!  I've been after him to do this for awhile --- might as well spend the money now instead of later.  Then, it was off to Verizon for a new phone.  Why?, you ask.  Well, Mister's phone is exploding and the system is that I get a new one and he takes my old one.  Works for me.  It's relatively painless and everything is transferred over before we even leave the store.  With loyalty discounts and other fun items, I walk out spending 1/3 of what I expected.  Awesome!

Once the shopping is complete, a stop for a beer and some BBQ happens.


And then - back home.  It's a bit warm in the car.


10th - The Secret Lives of Color - Acid Yellow.  make one 9 1/2" and one 3 1/2" block.  Emojis!!!  These lovely little depictions of emotion that we use each day are based in this color.  Is it also related to LSD?  Read for yourself and find out.

As for my day --- well, when I wasn't cleaning up the guest room, this man and I spend the ENTIRE day together.  No joke.  BINGO mark for sewing with yellow thread.

11th - I have some energy this morning.  That being said - what should I do with it?

First up - I have lemons and oranges that are not going to last much longer.  Out comes the juicer and the fun begins.  Starting with the lemons, we have enough to make a couple glasses of lemonade and then freeze the remaining juice into ice cubes for recipes.  Onto the oranges.

By the time I'm done, I have a whole quart of solid juice plus a glass that we shared right away.  It's way too strong to drink straight, but we'll enjoy this the next few morning.

After the juice and making breakfast, more cleaning happens this morning.  

Quilts have been changed on the beds and my guest room is ready for Wednesday's grand arrival.  I've also worked out what remains on the quiet book and that mess is cleaned up as well.  So is the machine and stuff in the living room.  Goodness, but I've been an organizing fool today.  However, some BINGO marks came out of it - one for organizing, one for changing the quilts, and one for making lemonade.

A new BOM Mystery quilt arrived in the mail today.  Yes, I'm completely ready to be locked up.  Crazy lady.  By 4, I am ready to sit down for a bit.  Leftovers for dinner and my hands get to work on the dang Dalmatian.  By 9, it's done and and so am I.  See ya tomorrow.

12th - The Secret Lives of Color - Naples Yellow.  Make one 9 1/2" and one 6 1/2" block.  No one really knows where this color came from but Dali suggested once that it was from Mount Vesuvius and Paul Cezanne didn't think a palette was complete without it.  

New quilts on the beds ---- BINGO mark.  They even both have yellow in them.


Evening out with my sweetie ---- love me some German sausages and pretzel.


Today's accomplishment???  Everything on the two airport pages is done except the little pieces, which I will work on while on the road this week.  I've also put all the pages back together in order and ready for the next step.


13th  - It's been a minute since grands have been here for "summer camp" and I have missed it so very  much.  Fortunately, this year, some are back.  Let the stories begin.  Hyrum and Zyra are arriving this morning and I'm cruising along getting ready to leave the house when I get notification that their flight is 20 minutes early.  WTW??  Now, I'm racing and using every toll road I can to speed things up.  As I pull into the parking lot, I make the decision to just take my ID and phone in.  Faster through security, right?  Well, things go super smooth with the ticket counter AND security and I get there just a few minutes after the plane (briefly run into my son-in-laws mom as she was on the same flight, but that's another story) and discover the kids are not at the gate.  Neither is a gate agent.  Since there wasn't a gate agent, the attendants kept them on the plane until they were ready to leave and I was waiting.  Woohoo!!!  I have them safely in tow and a pic for Mom and Dad proves it.  Here is your link to join in our fun if you so desire:   H&Z Days 1-3 


A stop at Subway and I add my credit card to my back pocket along with my ID and soon have sandwiches for all to take home and share with Grandpa.  Only one problem - no phone.  What???  I had it at Subway for sure so back I go.  Yep -- keep in mind that I've only had this phone for less than a week.  Back to the house I go.  Goodness, I'm a hot mess.  

14th - We are off to Abilene this morning for a couple of days focused on Louis.  Here is the Retirement Day 1 LINK to share in our remarkable day.  We are off to the base and, REMEMBER, the story above about my ID?  Well it comes into play here BIG TIME.  So, much fun.




Yes, I remember that this is a quilting blog.  Well, I didn't find any quilting going on while on base, but I DID find sewing.  Ya gotta check out the size of the needle in the second picture.



15th - Celebration Day in Abilene and here is the Retirement Day 2 LINK  so you can share in all the amazing stuff associated with a military ceremony.  A few pictures to tempt you.



Three generations.


16th - The Secret Lives of Color - Chrome Yellow.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  This color comes from a scarlet-orange crystal in a gold mine in Siberia.  Seriously.  It sounds bonkers, but true.  Van Gogh LOVED this shade and it is found in the many sunflower paintings he did.


We've left Abilene with warm memories and two grands looking for some fun.  Here is the H&Z Days 4-5 LINK to show what all takes place.  On the drive home, I finish up all the little pieces for the quiet book.


Oh yeah --- THERE'S a story.  After the waterpark, we went to dinner at Tony's and then settled in for a movie night.

17th - The Dallas Zoo, burgers at Rodeo Goat, the Cidercade, and Andy's for frozen custard.  It's a busy day.  So, remember my sad story of the ID that didn't go to Abilene?  When we got home, I immediately went and got it and my credit card from the pocket in my skort - right where I had left it.  While at the Cidercade, I decide that I want to have a glass of cider and my ID is in the car as I didn't want to cart my purse all over the place.  Out  I go to get it and once again put it in my back pocket.  I won't forget this time.  


Did I mention that it is HOT out?

18th - The Secret Lives of Color - Gamboge.  Make one 9 1/2" block and one 6 1/2" block.  Here is your tidbit:  Gamboge is the solidified sap of Garcinia trees, and comes principally from Cambodia -- or Camboja, as it was once known, which is how Gamboge got its name.  Please, read about the process of milking these trees.  WOW.

Time with the grands is so much fun and it continues today.  Here is the H&Z Days 6-7 LINK  for all the glorious pics.  Today it was the Children's Garden, home for a movie, Thai dinner and games with Grandpa to end the evening.


19th - My heart is sad today as these two sweeties have to go home.  However, my life is also back on track with it's messiness.  

It's a busy morning with breakfast, packing, showers, and preparations to travel.  My ID story continues here.  OMG.  I cannot find my ID again.  I've contacted the Cidercade (last time I KNOW I had it) and it was not turned in.  I've looked EVERYWHERE.  Super happy girl and I have to get into the airport this morning to fill out the paperwork to send the kids home.  My passport is retrieved from Mister and I'm set for this morning.  What the heck is my problem?

I am not leaving until the plane does (things happen, ya know) so I find a nice seat and go online to make an appointment to replace my driver's license.  IF I knew the number AND the audit number (seriously?  If I had that information, it would likely be in my hand) then I could just request a duplicate.  At any rate, I schedule an appointment and sit back.  It's eating at me though.  Finding a spot near the window, I literally DUMP my entire purse onto the floor and VOILA --- there is my ID.  I swear I looked in there at least half a dozen times.  Now to cancel the appointment.  Goodness, am I getting old or what?  I have NEVER misplaced my ID and now I've done it twice in one week.

A Costco stop on the way home and my arrival has a treat that came in the mail.

 I decide to go and get the rest of the groceries at the store and all is well until I put the food in the car and my sweet vehicle decides not to start.  I think the battery is dead.  It's crazy that I didn't get any warning.  Mister is home working, but doesn't answer his phone after several attempts so I load the Lyft app on my phone and have a driver in no time.  As we are loading the food into her car, she is hit by another car in the parking lot and it takes off.  Well, the chase is on.


We follow for quite awhile and finally pull up beside him.  THIS dude ---- ugh.


She takes me and my food home and I give her all the pictures I took while driving on our little escapade.  Goodness --- what a day so far.  

THEN, I get some disturbing news to bat --- I'll just leave this here.  I'm ready for today  to be over.


20th - Well now, it's a new day and I'm ready for retreat.  I pack up, load my car and drive down today to help out has Stan had surgery.  You can share in all of our amazing moments with this Retreat LINK.  For the meantime - take a look at how the house looks before we take over.



Time with friends for dinner --- LOVE.

21st - The Secret Lives of Color - Orpiment.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  It's been said that this is "a handsome yellow more closely resembling god than any other color."  However, the pigment is also deadly.  READ and you'll find King Tut, Caligula, and the Taj Mahal involved.

My task for today at retreat is to get the binding attached to all of my quiet book pages.  By the time the day ends, I'm close.


22nd - Retreat fun.  What more can a girl say?

23rd - Today I was able to get some of the binding finished on a few pages, but I really need to focus on another project as well.


The amazing women keeping me company this weekend.


YES!!  I have my Summer Moon blocks for August ready to go.  Whew.



24th - The retreat is a wrap and it was just so fun.  I am so blessed to have these women in my life and I never loose track of that.  It's homeward bound for me and Mister takes me out for dinner and a glass of mead.  It's the perfect ending to my weekend of fun and love.  My treasures from retreat are pictured below --- I am blessed.

25th - The Secret Lives of Color - Imperial Yellow.  Make one 9 1/2" and one 3 1/2" block.  This red-gold yellow was fiercely reserved for royalty in China even though regular yellow was also very special.  An ancient Chinese saying is, "The sky is blackish blue and the earth is yellow" showing how very important this color is to them.

A car trip halfway to Abilene to retrieve a grandson happened today.  Large planes in the sky.

Also - a little internet fun while waiting for them to arrive.  Here is the Joshua's Visit Post 1 to our fun.


26th - More time with Josh today:  Cafe Brazil, Dallas World Aquarium, The Cidercade, Pho dinner with Grandpa and a little binding in the evening.  No drama day.



27th - Josh  and I out and about - The Dallas Zoo, some sewing, Cane Rosso dinner.  Your chance to follow along is in this Josh's Visit Post 2.  The sewing is a pillowcase with fabric he brought along.




TA-DA


OH - and I finished the binding on all of my quiet book pages.  That feels good.

28th - The last day with Josh and it includes the coffee shop, bookstore, vr at the mall, baking cookies, and the drive to deliver him back to Jen.  While having dinner at Subway - his return meet-up spot, I broke a tooth.  Oh yeah.  I left messages with the dentist while driving home and hopefully they can fix it tomorrow morning as I'm heading to Missouri retreat in a couple of days.


29th - The Secret Lives of Color - Gold.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  Ahhh, the color of desire.  I'll share a fiber story with ya from the book.  "Cloth of gold - fabric woven from threads with a core of silk or linen wrapped in gold - had been around since Roman times and was beloved by European royalty."  Oh, please ready more about this and how King Henry VIII's marquee made entirely from golden cloth had an impact.  Additionally, SO much more in the book and GREAT history.


My  morning was NOT FUN at all.  Naturally, my dentist was not available to fix my tooth until Monday.  It's my FRONT tooth and is cutting my mouth every time I speak.  I am leaving on Sunday for Missouri, so Monday doesn't work even without the pain.  I call all over and find a dentist to fix the tooth this morning and race out the door.  It DOES happen, but once again I have fallen victim to a call center with bad information.  Will I ever learn?  The rest of the day is laundry and packing.  Yep, packing again.  For the evening, Mister and I have tickets to a play in Fort Worth and while we are driving there -- something strange starts falling from the sky.  What is that wet stuff?  It truly lasts about 2 minutes and is done.  UGH.

We arrive with enough time to grab a bite to eat at the Modern Art Museum - it was okay.  Service was less than stellar and the manager even came out to talk to us.  What we waiting on FOREVER (I'm not joking as our food was all eaten) was the glasses of wine.  WTW??  The setting was beautiful though.


Across the street is the Casa Manana Theatre - 


It is pretty cool inside and the stage is ready for tonight's performance of Steel Magnolias.  The kids bought us these tickets back in May as a birthday/Mother's Day gift.  The play is great and we have a wonderful time - thank you to the kiddos.



30th - Mail call has some charms for November and a few minutes online while crazily cleaning the house sets the tone for my evening.  Sam and Jen are arriving this evening so that we can get an early start on our adventure north tomorrow.  I am SOOOOO excited.  I'm packed and ready to go.

31st - Some last minute vehicle changes happen and we are off to Missouri.  Please follow along in our fun as on this day alone, we meet up with quilting friends in Arkansas.  Here is the Day 1 LINK.  (Psst - the coolers are empty - we are planning ahead)


Time to go pick up our fourth.


All together and ready for fun.


Marshall's happened.  See -- we KNEW we'd need the coolers.


Oma's Playhouse!!!!!  Howdy Ramona.


Ahhhh, such a fun night with friends.  Hugs to all.


Our Arkansas abode for the evening.  It's lovely.


Well, that's the end of another month.  I didn't get the BINGO card complete, but did make progress along the way.  Perhaps August will go better in that way, but having grands is always worth the BINGO sacrifice.


That brings us to August ---  and PURPLE!!!  Let's Color Your World with the many shades of this luscious color and embark on a Royal Journey.  The original post on this theme can be found here and all the wonderful information for month number 8  can be found in this August LINK  That is where the new BINGO card is as well.


Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative Y'all.

UFO's to quilt:   

BOM #1 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #2 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #3 - quilt and bind - 
Winter Wonderland - quilt and bind -
Witch's Night Out - quilt and bind - 
Quarantine Challenge - quilt and bind - 
Dawn's Early Light - quilt and bind - 
Xing - quilt and bind - 
Straits of Mackinac - quilt and bind
Ruby Slippers (a.k.a Emerald City) - quilt and bind
Pfeffernusse - quilt and bind 


Current Projects:

Summer Moon Blocks - current
Farm Girl - backing/binding made - 
Sandcastles - 
Rhododendron Trail - 
Illusions BOM - current 
Ruby Jubilee - current cut
Purple Table Runner - done
Secret Lives of Color - current
Round Robin (mine) - 
Puzzler Blocks - current
Quiet Book - ready to grommet

UFO Items to work on:
 
Neutral strings - 
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
Whims 2nd quilt - 

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stocking - waiting until Montana to take it up there

Links to Previous 2022 Monthly Posts - 

No comments:

Post a Comment