Friday, April 30, 2021

April 2021 Monthly Update

Welcome April --- here is your "I AM".   Doesn't it say enough?  I stumble and see others that do so as well all because of a lack of confidence.  Sometimes we just need to dive in.  Sometimes we need to fail. That failure SHOULD help us to try again after learning what we need to go forward.  This doesn't mean we have confidence in all that we do.  It says that we have confidence that we can "LEARN".

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.

In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  I AM still in an ongoing UFO mode around here and trying oh so hard to use or clean out the stash.  It will be an continuing project this year.  If I want something to come in -- something has to go out.  That is one goal.  The balances change each month (hopefully) and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.)

So --- here's April and all the wonderful fun it provided.  Please remember that any links in here will open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads or popups EVER.

1st -  April Fools Day and I'm doing yucky stuff, for the most part.  Computer blogging, posting, balancing, etc., etc., etc.  However, first thing this morning, I discovered that we were out of orange juice.  NOOOOOO.  I also discovered that I have a ton of oranges and grapefruit.  Where on earth did they all come from?  What's a girl to do?  How about finding the attachment to my mixer that juices?  Done.  Now to get juicing.  Both containers went into canning jars - the grapefruit to the fridge and the orange into the freezer.  We're set for a bit.  And, yes, it is dang good.

Now, I have several items on my list still to tackle today.  One is to locate the journal for an upcoming Round Robin that I am hosting.  It's right where I think and a happy accident is that another item I've been looking for was there too.  A quick trip down memory lane.  



I'd like to finish the applique work on a row by row and go as far as I can before running out of orange thread.  I guess another item is now on my list.  Yes, you've seen this before.  It doesn't want to go away.


An upcoming retreat has fat quarter bags being made and I am read to start cutting.  Of course, cutting something for May makes sense right now.  TA-DA

2nd - I am trying to get ahead of the game a bit today.  Borders for summer skinnies are made.  They were sitting on my machine and needed to go away.  Some BAD blocks are there too.  Done.

While I'm at it -- Dawn's Early Light needs a better photo.  Outside I go and as soon as that is done, it is bundled with it's parts and off to the long arm in the studio.  I need to quilt it this month.


The dining room table is still covered with all the fabrics I pulled last month for fat quarter bags.  Getting it done helps clean up another mess.  In the process, I have lots of strips to use in another retreat class.  Score.


3rd -    Family time is on the plan for today.  We are off to the Lake Whitney area for some fun with Jen and gang.  Here is your Easter Weekend LINK to share in our fun.

Coffee stop in the morning finds these items.  How fun.


Coloring eggs.  My mind sees all kinds of pretty fabrics.  Also --- doing this while camping seems just a little bit more fun, right?


Some wildflower for eye candy --- although a knee issue occurred too.  Drat.  Bluebonnets!


Pink Paintbrush


4th -  Happy Easter!  We are spending the morning at the zoo.  Yep - seems perfect and ya can read all about it in the above mentioned link.  Our evening activity is an adult Easter Egg Hunt.  Too fun.
5th - Good Morning!  It's Monday and I am off to JoAnns first thing.  I want that orange thread.  Straight back to the house and, at last, this row by row is done.  Why was it so important? 


Remember my Grassy Creek backing?  It needed to go in there.  That's why.  Now it is finished as well.


I now have this quilt ready for the long arm as well.  Two to do before Virginia.  Time is zipping past.  

A few more BAD blocks happened as well.

What else can I accomplish today?  Skinnies that need the applique finished seems right.  With orange thread on the machine, I can move right into that.  Some yellow happens also and that's my time today.

6th -  Somedays you just feel like there is SOOOO much on the plate.  Today is a prepare for retreat day and that means laundry, cleaning, packing, organizing, and grocery shopping.  It also means preparing food for I have the first night's dinner.  Additionally, I booked flights/car/hotel for a family reunion in June.  Now for something fun??  With my cleanout in the back and a bag full of items for the swap table in May, I put the smaller, applique pieces into this bin.  It's perfect for them.  Also, the hand quilt drawers received bins and are much neater now.  I did say, organizing, right?

7th -  Wednesday - that means some work on a UFO.  I've pulled out Pfeffernusse.  The blocks are webbed and ready for their final seam.  I'm good with that for today.


It doesn't take long --- Whew.  One more step closer.  These are stinking cute.


Out to the studio for some more applique.  The remaining yellow and all the blue happens this go round.  Now to load the car.

8th -  An early morning departure takes place.  Here is your LINK to follow the retreat fun.  Along the way, the fields of wildflowers are so abundant.  This one, bright red with paintbrush, actually gets me to stop and take a picture.  So beautiful.

Upon arrival, I notice that the chickens are free range this time.  I LOVE it!  They are just so fun to be around.


A walk to the river and preparation of our super easy salad bar takes place.  Life is good.


My accomplishment for the day?  Farm Girl blocks --- kitting them up.

9th -  I woke up to singing today.  Yes, these ladies are just so happy to be here.  Our theme is Jailbreak and wanted posters are made for everyone.  


So many wonderful faces.  Back row: Angie, Terry, Karen, Gwen, Kelly, Amy Middle row:  Lori, Paula, Val, Mindy, Brenda, Janet  Front row:  Samantha, Amber, Crystal  The official Chain Gang.


Oh, and me.

10th - I'm sewing all those blocks that I kitted up.  May and June are finished, BUT I can only show one here.  Wait until next month to see the others.



Pillowcases --- yes, our service project for the year and I haven't made mine yet this retreat.  TA-DA


Some ironing occurred in the evening.  These are all ready for applique now.  Moving forward on skinnies.  Woot woot.


11th - And another retreat is a wrap.  So. Much. Fun.  I'll miss these three until next time.  Brazos Out.


Stops on the way home.


Paula is staying with us tonight so that she can be closer to some appointments tomorrow.  While she naps, my sweet man pours me a beer  and then follow that up by agreeing to Cane Rosso for dinner.  Paula has never been and is treating to dinner.  Yum.


12th -  I pushed my knee A LOT over the weekend.  Mister has me confined to quarters today.  This is my view.  I do manage to handle emails and pictures -- otherwise the sofa is my buddy.

13th - Such a crappy day.  It started out good and I cleaned up the studio, packed some more items for May, loaded Grassy Creek and then my long arm would not operate.  Several hours later, took out the barn quilt to touch-up and I think it looks worse.  Tomorrow is another day.

14th - I couldn't sleep in wee hours so did some blogging and retreat changes.  Yes, I get messages during these hours.   I worked on the wrong UFO last week, argh (apparently following a list is just too much for me) -- so I'll do last weeks today and get back on track. Scrap Crystals is pulled out and only a few seams are take.  Seriously.  There is just too much else going on --- not a great day again.  Much discussion before I just load up my long arm and deliver it to be repaired.  Apparently, I won't be taking Grassy Creek and Dawn's Early Light to Virginia.  Perhaps next time.

When I return, I pull out the barn quilt one more time to do the touch-ups.  It's not perfect, but I'm calling it done.  Now to get it all the way to Virginia without damage.

15th -  Packing has began.  Yes.  I really need to condense as much as possible so it is going to take several days of reevaluating whether the item is really needed.  This shirt did go in my overnight bag.  Whether we swim or not, at least I have it.   

All of the applique on these three skinnies is complete and they are packed and ready to take along.  Now, if I can just get them finished while there.  

Studio clean-up takes place and I find a way to use Gwen's bags.  My projects have been removed from their totes and several can be packed into a Mondo bag very easily now.  Who knew?

16th - Time is racing and I have such a long list of "necessities" still.  Today is laundry, to finish packing, and take care of all household stuff for remainder of month.  The house is almost clean.  I'm getting close to being ready.  I think.

17th - Mister and I are spending the morning together at the Arboretum.  Walking and being together is needed as I'll be gone for quite awhile.  

Back to the house and we both pitch in to finish cleaning up the house.  Sherri and Paula are arriving today and spending the night.  I've worked on a crockpot breakfast and dinner for us all.  Now, I'm ready.  I think.

18th - The day has  finally arrived.  We have waited FOREVER.  Our Epic Road Trip begins and you can follow the beginning in this Days 1-3 LINK.



19th - Day two of our road trip.  Not everything went smooth.  Just some images here -- ya gotta read the post for the details.


Hello Memphis!!!


20th -  Today we will arrive at Quiltville Inn.  Yep, that is our destination.  The excitement is felt in the van.  But first, a stop at Virginia Highlands Quilt Shop.  This is one awesome shop.  If you are in the area, please go.  There is a link to a spotlight on it in the Days 1-3 post.  Sherri's face shares the joy of today with everyone and this picture epitomizes all of our own inner joy.  Yes, we have arrived.


21st -   Let the fun begin.  Here is the Days 4-5 LINK  so you can share in all of our fun.  Today, we are off on a visit to West Jefferson, NC.  Yay, another state checked off.  Here is an Antique LINK so see what I see.  Hey Bonnie --- hat time!



The afternoon is capped off with a presentation to Bonnie.  We have her barn quilt to gift.  It is wonderful and you can read her own post about it in THIS LINK.


It's Wednesday -- progress is made on Xing.  All the errors have been fixed and units back together.

22nd - Fun at the house today -- no power and lots of laughter.  Did you read about it?  Dinner is out tonight and arrival is fun.


I worked on Xing more today.  All the star blocks (under the design wall in the pic) and the string blocks are complete.  I am going to get to lay this one out.


23rd -   It's another day in paradise.  This is your Days 6-7 LINK  and you will want to see the pictures from the area.  Honest.  

I am up early and have started laying out Xing.  Perhaps progress will happen today.  Bonnie is sewing with us today and snaps this pic of me as the first corner comes together.


Some outdoor time.


We are in two states at once here.


This is as far as I got today and as far as I'm gonna get while here.  Apparently, I'm short units.  WTW??  Dang it all anyway.  So much for pulling things out of a project box.  Now, I don't have the extra fabric with me.  It'll happen next month at retreat.  No worries.

24th - Lunch and advancements.  Such a great time.


Frolic on Quiltville.  Ramona, Jennier, and I.



The gangs all here!!  Tiaras and shirts. 


Adding Bonnie as Dave/Jason arrived right in time to help.


Dinner is out and WAY too much fun.



And then, even more fun once back at the Inn.  All in all --- one of the BEST days ever.


25th -   This week needs to slow down but we are loving each day so very much.  Here is your Day 8 LINK to share in our fun with the ponies.

Morning activity for me is ironing on appliques to row by rows that I bought in Arkansas last year.



Quilting was finished on these yesterday and bindings added.  They are ready for handwork.


Progress was made on this as well, but I'm once again short some pieces.  What is wrong with me?  We are off to Grayson Highlands State Park and time with the ponies that live there in the wild.  It's a hike, but we're up to it.  We've been told that it is 2 1/2 miles round trip.  Here we go.  

PONIES!!!  Ya really need to check out the link.



What a glorious moment!!!!

26th -    Oh goodness.  Our last full day has arrived.  It has been eagerly anticipated for the fun it will contain, but sadness as well as we have to leave tomorrow.  Here is your Day 9 LINK so that you can share in the beauty of the Virginia Creeper Trail as we bike down 17 miles of it.  


A stop at Quilt Villa on the way home.  Yes, we made it down intact.  Info on the road.


Our evening is capped off with a campfire and s'mores.  Perfect.

27th -  As much as we don't wish to leave, it's time.  Home is calling and a beautiful sunrise is sending us on our way.  Here is your Last LINK to the Virginia fun and our trip home.


Bonnie, words cannot express the wonderful time we have had.  I thank you for being a friend and cannot wait to see you again.  Talk to you soon.


Some hand work on the way home.  Burying threads.  Yes, grand fun.


The evening is fun though --- pool with the best friends a girl could ask for.

28th -    Today is the reason we had such a long day yesterday.  Our morning activity is Marshall Dry Goods and here is your MDG LINK to the glory this store contains.  It is a MUST see place and I cannot wait to return.  It'll happen.  I promise.

Hello to our home state!!!  It's great to be back.


We survived.  We're still laughing and loving.  That's always a good sign.  Now to unpack and see how much we really did put in there.

29th -  Sherri and Paula  spent the night last night and mister kept us fed with Chinese food.  They are on their way home this morning and I spend the rest of the day developing pictures, setting up a new group for us to share the multitude of pictures everyone took, and blogging.  Just a keystroke day.

30th -  April has come to an end.  I spent the morning petting my new treasures from the trip.  Yes, all stops are included here.  On the left are the rolls from Cotton to Quilts, the back three stacks and some of the prints are from MDG, the remaining items are from Quiltsmith's, Virginia Highlands, and gifts from retreat.  Oodles to put away and I didn't even take a picture of the stuff I bought at Quiltville Inn.  It wasn't fabric though -- rulers and some reference books.  I'm ready to relax a bit today.  After all, it IS the birthday season.


That means May is here - So, so many instances happen in our lives where it feels as though ideas are just below the surface and wanting to burst out.  Right?  Mostly at 2 a.m. when one is trying to sleep, but they are there no matter what.  Putting our thoughts into action is what causes the whole thing to derail at times, BUT the energy is always there.  Let it happen.  Sit down and write out your ideas when they appear to your mind.  Allow them to grow and develop.  Being creative is what we are.  It's what makes us tick.  Let it happen.
Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative y'all.

UFO's to quilt:

BOM #1 - quilted and bound - 
BOM #2 - quilted and bound
BOM #3 - quilted and bound
Winter Wonderland - quilted and bound
Witch's Night Out - quilted and bound
Quarantine Challenge - quilted and bound

Current Projects:

Farm Girl Blocks completed - Yes, May and June due to upcoming crazy schedule
Dawn's Early Light - 
Grassy Creek  8 - backing made, ready to quilt
May Skinnie - just hand work remains
2020 Sucks Exchange Quilt - 

UFO Items to work on:
 
All Neutral strings -
1 Row by Row block (dragonfly) - done and put into a backing
BAD blocks as leader/enders - several finished
Stash Buster project  -
Whims 2nd quilt - 

The next four are to be worked on with rotating Wednesdays until finished - 

Scrap Crystals - some progress made
Pfeffernusse - quarter blocks done
Xing - lots of progress made
Sandcastles - 

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stockings - 

Links to Previous 2021 Monthly Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment