Wednesday, March 31, 2021

March 2021 Monthly Update

 I am hosting two retreats in March with themes centered on color so this fits right in.  We are ALL artists engaged in the creation of something beautiful.  Recognize that!  Embrace it!  Surround yourself with color and see what you can create - be it with fabric, thread, paint, or any other medium.  Share it with others and let them send some love.

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.

In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  I AM still in an ongoing UFO mode around here and trying oh so hard to use or clean out the stash.  It will be an continuing project this year.  If I want something to come in -- something has to go out.  That is one goal.  The balances change each month (hopefully) and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.)

So --- here's March and all the wonderful fun it provided.  Please remember that any links in here will open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads or popups EVER.

1st -  March roared in last night with wind and rain.  As I've looked back on Facebook memories, it appears this is a regular occurrence.  Apparently the saying has merit.  At any rate, it's cooler today and I'm trying to start out the month being productive.  It's worth a try anyway.  Since I've cut all the parts and finished the applique on two skinnies, borders can go on.  Working with this backing fabric makes my eyes go a little bonkers as I sew. 


All borders go on AND I make the binding for these two skinnies and two more that I'm working on as well.  Onward we go.  

Now what else can I focus on today as I'm not really wanting to quilt these yet.  Since, I've also relocated my second Whims project in the hopes that I can get it completed, four of the six remaining blocks are now prepped and ready to quilt.


Why not tackle one while the movie finishes out?  TA-DA -- it's a great start to March.


2nd -  I'm out for an appointment early this morning and while I know this is a quilting blog, I just want to leave this one picture I took (inside a MEDICAL office) for you to think about.  See if you can spot the issues I see.  At any rate, after my appointment, it was off to Costco for a few items and then a quick stop at the quilt shop for Grunge fat quarters that will be needed at an upcoming retreat before returning back home. Three items on my errand list are checked off and now it is well after 1:00 in the afternoon and lunch is needed as I haven't eaten all day.  Stupid?  Yes.  By 2 I am finally sitting down at the machine and starting in on two more of the Whims blocks.  Movie in the laptop and today it is The Devil Wears Prada.  I'm enjoying the revisit of many loved dvd's.  By te time evening arrives, I have almost finished them but both need a bit more work.


3rd - Up and going.  That's the plan for today.  While the oatmeal is cooking, a quick slip to the machine and the two blocks are finished and ready to go.  It's a great start to the day.

With a full belly, I would like to get more checks on my errand list.  Today's agenda is to make sure that all the parts for the upcoming barn quilt retreat project are in the house.  After talking with Val, it is decided to buy precut boards instead of begging Lowe's to cut a sheet of plywood in quarters and then REALLY begging Mister to cut those into 12" squares.  It just seems like a lot less mental stress even though it is a bit more pricey.  Not much though -- The sheet of plywood was going to cost me $60 (thank you winter storm) and the individuals were $75.  I'll take it.  I am able to locate 18 of them at Michaels in Dallas and then they send me to Mesquite where the inventory shows 6 more packets of 3.  Off I go only to discover it is a wild goose chase.  Fortunately, Sherri messages me right about now and a quick call shows what a wonderful savior she can be.  Woot woot, by the time I'm back at Lowe's for paint, she has the remaining pieces picked up down in San Antonio.  Yes!  

As for Lowe's?  Well the paint man there is another saint and explains exactly what to use and how to prime and base coat these all at once.  Deal.  Paint and sandpaper is purchased and I'm on the way home to say enough is enough today.  All parts are purchased and we are ready to go.  Sherri has remaining boards and Val has patterns and drop cloths.  Bring it on.  Only one mark on the errand list, but it took a long time and several stores to get that mark.


One fact remains - it is Wednesday.  Yep.  That means I'm supposed to make progress on Scrap Crystals this week.  Opening the tub, I find that my last step was to web all the little broken dish units and they are ready for the final seam.  I can do this.


Did I mention that a new laptop arrived on the 1st?  Well it did and I'm on a learning curve with it.  Currently both laptops are in use and nothing has been moved over yet as I'm still learning my way around Windows 10.  Oh I know, ya'll have been using it forever, but not this girl.  I'm still on Windows 7.  Yep - antique.  At any rate, how does this relate to quilting?  Well, Mister brought the new laptop out to me while sewing and I'm actually watching Call The Midwife while sewing.  I know - another that's been around while but I'm just getting around to it.


Well into the evening, but they are done.  Seams are spun and all is pressed.  Whew.


4th - I have some quilting to do.  Today, that means movies and I'm going to revisit the Twilight series.  I have two wall hangings and a couple of Whims blocks to work on and that will take most of the day.  I know it seems simple, but it just never goes that quick.  Some straight line quilting means bringing out the tape.  I can do that and by the time the day comes to an end, I have managed to quilt all four items (well, truth be told there are too many threads on the one block to call it done so I'm stopping to bury threads before finishing it, but there is very little left) AND bury the threads on one wall hanging before adding the binding and doing all the hand work.  It does leave me with a TA-DA though.


What do all those threads look like up close and personal?  Well, here ya go.  A few were buried before bedtime, leaving the rest for tomorrow.  For now, close eyes time.


5th - Well now.  With an early morning thread bury, I head back to the machine and finish the bits on the sewing basket block.  Then, it takes TWO movies to work on the final Whims block and I'm so covered in threads that a break is required once again before moving on.  For the evening:  BOTH smaller Whims blocks are ready to move on and 


I have another TA-DA.  My second wall hanging is done and I have another check mark on the list.  Woot woot.


As for that big block of threads?  It'll still be there in the morning.  Night ya'll.


6th - It's Saturday and I'm just not very motivated to sew.  Why is that?  I have so much to do but instead I am trying to get some more organizational work accomplished.  With a couple of big trips coming up, there is a lot of detail work to do.  

7th -  Breakfast out with my sweetie and then a trip to find some pots for the various plants around the yard.  It's time for some new ones and the chipped/cracked ones get to depart.  Since all plants are being gone through to determine death rate, this is as good a time as any to get 'er done.   

Once home, I manage to get a few stitches in on the stocking.  Seriously - A FEW!!


As a last attempt to actually get something done -- I pull out the last Whims block and get all the threads buried.  Now I can see the parts I missed.  That's a good thing.


Mister is out working in the yard and notices that the bees are using the watering pan quite frequently.  It's something that neither of us have really noticed before.  The robins are also back.  What a strange time in nature.

8th - It's an errand day.  Seven stops - argh.  My list is much smaller and that makes me happy so I guess it's a good thing.  The birds are happy, Mister is happy, I have groceries for retreat, and I am almost to the point of packing.  

9th - A finish to the Whims block - the quilting is complete.  Otherwise, it's been phone calls and booking of rental cars, hotels, etc. 

10th -  I have a crazy busy day ahead of me today.  Laundry is going, bedding being changed, packing and gathering of items for retreat, cleaning up the house, etc., etc., etc.  However, I still wish to make some progress so I fit a few bits of sewing in as well.  Threads are buried and the final block is good to go.


It's Wednesday to boot.  That means some progress in Pfeffernusse needs to happen.  The option I go with today is placing four hour-glass blocks together and stitching.  I'm only aiming for the first seam.  Next month, I'll move on. Once the goal is achieved, I break down the little sewing center I've created in the living room.  Go, go, go girl --- so much to do.

By day's end, the car is loaded except perishables and my purse/computer bag.  It'll be an early day tomorrow, but I think I'm almost ready.

11th - Thus begins 10 days of retreat.  My car is soooo full, but away we go.


After a non-eventful drive down, the room has been set up, people have arrived and I have rehomed three machines, 1 Singer 301a, 1 Singer 403a, and 1 Singer 404.  It's a start on thinning the herd and at least 3 more will go to May retreat with me.  Now, if you want to share in all of our fun, here is the My Favorite Color LINK.  Today's color is PURPLE!  Yep, that's my plan - a different color head to foot each day.  Ya'll just thought my car was full of sewing stuff.

One of our projects for this retreat is a small barn quilt and today I manage to get my base coat painted AND the lines drawn for the pattern.  Tomorrow - colors!!!


12th - Coffee on the porch with friends, wild turkeys across the river, and there is a baby goat and it has managed to escape, keeping Mom on the run as well.  Jen and I work to get them back into the pen.  Silly kid.  All in a day on the farm.  

Today's color is green and I didn't really get a full-length picture.  Oops -- check the end of today and you can see bits in my picture.  It's all I gots.

Speaking of farms - todays goal is to get all of the April Farm Girl blocks cut out.  Mission accomplished.  I am ready to sew.


Game night always has surprises.  This time, Jen is rocking it.


I soooo wish this wasn't blurry.  Of course it had to be our picture that didn't turn out.


Amazing women -- one and all.  Even those hiding.

13th - It's the third day of retreat and I am actually going to use  my sewing machine.  I know -- everyone take a collective breath.  There is a wee bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth, but my blocks for April are finished.  Woohoo!!!  


Today's color is brown (Gwen thinks I look like Ruth Buzzi's Gladys character from Laugh-In - yep dates us incredibly) and I have my barn quilt TA-DA as well.  (Psssst -- I had this picture taken at the end of retreat, but it goes here cos this is when I finished it.)


14th - As crazy as it seems, the first group of ladies have already departed (zoom went the time and I have very little to show for it) and tweener time begins.  Before everyone left, I made everyone scones for breakfast.  Sometimes I can be nice AND I just can't find the desire to be productive at my machine.


I do manage to get it together after cleaning up the room and get started on Dawn's Early Light.  I really want all steps finished before I go home.  Here is the Tweener Time LINK for maybe a bit more info on what happens over the next few days. 

First up - the blocks need to become BIG blocks.  From this -


to this - and that's enough for today.  See --- not a lot of mojo.  


A trip to the store for a DVD player has us starting a Harry Potter movie marathon - one a day until they are all watched.  THIS I can get into right now.

15th - Okay --- some forward progress must be attained.  Today - the borders/sashings on DEL come together.  Goodness, but there are a lot of them.  


In the process --- I even have a few BAD blocks to go with --- leader/enders baby.  Off to the movies we go.


16th - Today ---- big blocks and sashings --- I have a center.  Woot woot.  That and a movie was my day.

17th - It's the last day of tweener time and that means CLEAN THE HOUSE.  Ugh but we get it done and all is ready for the next group tomorrow.  I have even managed to finish the DEL top AFTER some horrid final border moments.  Again, wish I had a better picture.  Oh well.  Another movie tonight.


18th - The new group arrives and my color for today is White!  Here is the Color My World LINK so that you can enjoy all of our fun vicariously. 

First things first.  I do the backing and label (no pic of the label) for DEL -- now to packe this one away until I get home and can get it quilted.  I still need binding, but will need to find some really nice dark blue for it as I don't like what I originally planned on.  In fact, I disliked it so  much it went to the swap table and disappeared.  Perfect.

It's Thursday and I missed out on my Wednesday UFO work yesterday so have pulled out Xing and am adding to the parts already pieced.


As I went to add the rest, I discovered that I sewed them all backwards and they don't work.  Now to spend some time with Jack.  Argh -- one step forward and three steps back.  Welcome to my world.  Yep, our day still ends with a movie.

19th - Paula and Gwen went out bright and early to check out a garage sale.  They had such great treasures that a couple more groups of us decide to check it out.  The best description I can give of it is to use Linda's words, "It's just so overwhelming."  There. Was. So. Much.  Upon my arrival back, several ask to see my treasures.


A little bit of organization and this shows what I walked out with.  Oh my.


Now for a walk to the river.  Gwen and I think we can sit and talk but discover that the wind is dang cold down here.  Back we go.



Game Night has two ladies advancing (and a chance to see my color for today - Black).  Congrats to Samantha and Kelly.

It also let y'all see my crazy friend, Val. She ALWAYS goes above and beyond for costumes AND she has dressed in a color each day, too.

Even after over a week with many of these women, I love every minute of it.  This just makes my heart so happy each and every time we get together.  Love, love, love them so much.  Here's the gang and I don't think anyone is completely hidden this time.  Now for our movie.  Did I even sew today?  Yes, but not much.  I did get the webbing of Grassy Creek done and just have row seams to finish AND I have the base coat applied to my large Barn Quilt.


20th - Sooooo --- late last night the decision was made to return to the scene of the crime.  That's right - we are going back to the garage sale.  The sun is rising along with us.


A few still at the house want to know if there is anything left so I take a few pictures.  Remember, THIS is after a full day of shoppers.  So, so much still.


I just start methodically going through all the boxes outside as I didn't even look at them yesterday.

Then, it's back to the fabric.  By the time we are finished, there is minimal room in Gwen's trunk and she has a HUGE trunk.  We "think" collectively over 2 days, our group spent over 2k here.  AND Mister said, "You should have bought all of it."  So much for being worried that he would think I was nuts.

Once back, I haul all the new items to my car and add them to yesterday's bonanza.  Oh my.  Such a thing of beauty to behold. 


Now for an afternoon movie and then some painting.  I REALLY need to get some work done on the big barn quilt --- it is drawn and the first areas are taped off and ready for a second coat.  There's a lot to do still, but I'm pretty determined.


A LOT of painting takes place with A LOT of help from Sam - she really is an angel - and allows me to watch the final movie tonight.  Then it's off to bed for me as I have a ton to do tomorrow to shut this place down.  I'm so sad that our time is ending but I am ready for my sweet Mister.  We decide to do a last ladies standing for our last night.


OHHHHHH - the beautiful barn quilt just needs touchups ---- I can do that at home, hopefully.  Recognize this block?


21st - I'm still a couple of seams away from a Grassy Creek top and that is my goal before I have to start the work for today.

YES!!!  TA-DA.  I still have borders to do before it's ready to quilt, but I'm happy with the progress.  If only I had been more "on game" this past 10 days, I get more could be going home to quilt.  I say that like that means they'll get finished -- the "to be quilted" stack just keeps growing.  A few more BAD blocks finish out my production for retreat.  Just like that, it's time to pack and head home.

Determination is my name as I arrive back home.  I methodically unload the car and put each item away correctly as it comes in the house.  Mister is working in the yard and covered in dirt so I just let him be ---- yes, he offers to help but I'd rather not have a HUGE pile in the house.  This way works wonderfully and I'm happy when finished.  

Additionally, these beautiful peach and quince blossoms greet me with a welcome home. 

Once Mister finishes, I ask if he would like to get out a bit as he's been home the entire time I've been gone.  The answer is yes so pizza and beer it is.  A lovely patio meal and time together.  The perfect ending to a very busy day.


22nd - Useless is a good word for me today.  However, we do have one amazing thunderstorm to share.


23rd - I spent most of the day out in the studio working on going through bins and removing fabric I KNOW I won't use and adding in the new pretties.  By the time I'm finished I have an overflowing fat quarter bag of fabric that I think will make an appearance on the swap table in May.  No pictures, but trust me, it looks better.

24th - The last of the cleaning up from retreat --- all my treasures.  Isn't this just so much fun?

Sewing DOES  happen.  I've laid out Grassy Creek in order to figure out the borders and sew them together.

It takes a bit, but I've got them now.

However, it is Wednesday and I need to do the UFO work for this week so I stop the progress and head to the machine to finish up the four-patches for Sandcastles.  There are soooo many of them but they are in the DONE column.  That's it for today.

25th -  The first thing I need to share is that I have THREE empty project boxes.  It won't last through the day, but I do have them right now.   I also cleaned out the closet in my room and organized the current projects in the order they need attention.  It helps every now and then to make sense of stuff.  After some time at the cutting table, I have all border/bindings that are needed right now and sewed/pressed them.  Yes, that dark blue binding is for Dawn's Early Light and was among my treasured finds from the garage sale AS was the grey AND gold for border and binding on Grassy Creek.  It is already being put to use.


26th - An office and laundry day.  Those don't usually have much to show, picture wise.  I will say that my fingers were flying.  Once that was finished, I headed to the studio to iron all of the fusible tracings I did a few months ago onto fabrics.  What do you suppose happened?  Well, first off, I found myself pulling fabrics from the "fat quarter bag" like crazy.  Naturally.  At any rate, I have five more skinnies all ready to cut out little pieces.  I have their backgrounds chosen, along with backings, borders, and bindings.  It is quite the stack of fabric being hauled into the house.

27th - The first thing I do today is set up my 185 for some string work. First, Mister and I give her a complete spa treatment. 


I have hauled in strings of various colors and am working on the pieces for some skinnies.  Once those are finished, I move onto another project that was discovered during the closet clean.  The machine is tapping and the only thing I didn't do earlier was change the needle.  I do that and then ------ nothing.  She never works again and I put in at least two hours trying to determine why.  The best I can come up with is that somehow the timing is messed up and that is what the tapping was.  It's not the needle, that much I DO know.  I'm really fussy now - yes, Sherri, I stole your word.
To make matters worse, Mister has decided today is the day to get my new laptop set up and things just don't go well.  That is all I have to say on the topic except that I might have been a bit of high maintenance for him.  I'm SO very glad that most of my pictures and "stuff" that needed to be done happened yesterday on the old laptop.  Things are a bit messy between the two right now.

As a result, I focus on the new project in a different way.  Pulling out some other, non-string parts, I'm ready to sew, sew, sew,.  

Taking the time to find these, helps and it's back to the computer trenches I go.  My attitude sucks and I know it --- I can do change, just not so much at once and now my emails/pictures are a complete and utter disaster.  ARGH.  Time for a drink.  Or two.  Or three.  Yep, that's where I am today.

28th - We are out of the house bright and early for a stop at Dallas Blooms 2021.  Yep, that's a link to the pictures I have.  Mister has many more and I'll try to add them to the link when he gives them to me.  Here are a few to wet your whistle.



Now, back to the computer mines.  Well, that's what it feels like.  Finally, I HAVE to escape and find a sewing machine.  Those stacks from yesterday have been sewn in a two hour marathon.  I didn't leave the machine the entire time.  Whew.


During T.V. time, I pressed like a crazy person most of the units just sewn.


29th - Finishing up the pressing, I am ready to move on with these.  Just not right now.  Dog-ears have been removed from the hst's.  Snip, snip, snip.



I am now GOING to finish my Grassy Creek top.  All the borders are ready to go.  It's time to make 12 seams and call it over.  Woohoo!!!  I got 'er done.


And a label along the way.


A quick throw out of items gathered for the backing shows I need more, but it's a great start.


Back to the machine for the second part of my little units and T.V. time has the pressing and dog-ear removal behind me.  What darling little hour-glasses.

30th -  I have a list a mile long of things to work on, but for some reason, I am in the studio ironing more fabrics to pre-drawn fusible.  I have one more skinnie and four row by rows finished along with all their assorted parts before going into the house.  Yep, more came from that "don't plan to use" bag.  Back into the house and all the backings, etc. are cut and ready to go.

A little bit of sewing on the parts for the Grassy Creek backing and then I realize that I REALLY need another row by row for it and have one on the machine out back.  Tomorrow, I'll get that done.

For the evening, I cut out a ton of my little pieces.  I have many more to go but these are the kits so far.  Even the batting and interfacing pieces have been cut.  Yep, I've spent a lot of time with a rotary cutter this past week.


31st -  First thing -- out to the studio.  I am CLEANING up the applique mess and putting fabrics away.  In the process, I remember that we are doing a few projects in the May retreats that I need to pull fabrics for.  The "fat quarter bags" that I use all the time are wonderful and I want more.  So . . . . I decide to go through the "cull" bag one more time and then put it away as GONE.  I've never been one to do things part way and by the time I've finished, I have pulled enough fabric for EIGHT fat quarter bags including their linings and straps.  Yes, sooooo crazy.  I also have fabrics for another little project as well.  Now, all I need are some strings to take along and I've got all the projects covered.  


Why am I doing this now?  Well, April is shot for me.  I have a retreat and then a 12 day road trip.  I gotta get as much done now as I can.  Now, it's back to the computer and emails, group posts, information gathering, new retreat set-up, etc.  Such a long list still.

Wanting to break away from the screen, I remember that it is Wednesday and that means UFO -- this week is Scrap Crystals and I have chosen to work on the sashings.  Lots and lots of strips are sewn together and I do so love black and red.  It makes my heart happy and I know that in the end I'll have another quilt for our room.  Once all are pressed, it's time to cut.


Another check mark for me today.  The sashings are ready for their next step, but that's enough progress for me today.


Evening T.V. time has me finishing the cutting of parts and then adding the sides and burying threads on this row by row.  It needs A LOT more applique, but some threads need to get out of the way first.


I think that's it for March.  I'm sure I missed something but this post is dang long already.  I didn't get as much done as I could have, but I enjoyed most of the month.  That dang computer.  At any rate, it's time to look forward to April --- so here is your "I AM".   Doesn't it say enough?  I stumble and see others that do so as well all because of a lack of confidence.  Sometimes we just need to dive in.  Sometimes we need to fail. That failure SHOULD help us to try again after learning what we need to go forward.  This doesn't mean we have confidence in all that we do.  It says that we have confidence that we can "LEARN".


Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative y'all.

UFO's to quilt:

BOM #1 - quilted and bound - 
BOM #2 - quilted and bound
BOM #3 - quilted and bound
Winter Wonderland - quilted and bound
Witch's Night Out - quilted and bound
Quarantine Challenge - quilted and bound

Current Projects:

Farm Girl Blocks completed - April done
Dawn's Early Light - Ready to quilt
Grassy Creek  8 - Finishing up backing then ready to quilt
April Skinnie - done
2020 Sucks Exchange Quilt - 

UFO Items to work on:
 
All Neutral strings -
1 Row by Row block (dragonfly) - buried some threads, does that count?
BAD blocks as leader/enders - some made
Stash Buster project  -
Whims 2nd quilt - all blocks quilted, ready to quilt the sashings and borders

The next four are to be worked on with rotating Wednesdays until finished - 

Scrap Crystals - progress made x 2 since there were 5 Wednesdays this month
Pfeffernusse - progress made
Xing - progress made
Sandcastles - progress made

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stockings - tiny progress made

Links to Previous 2021 Monthly Posts

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Deb. You didn’t mention the nanaimo bars.... 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't and I also didn't take a single picture. I was sooooo off my game. I promise to do better in the future.

      Delete