Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Epic Road Trip - Days 1-3

 The long-awaited day has arrived.  I'm not joking on that.  We booked this in December of 2019 and the trip was supposed to happen last April but then COVID reared it's ugly head and we had to postpone for a whole year.  However, the day has finally arrived!!  Sherri and I are off to pick up the van bright and early - can you say 6 a.m.?  Now, as with all things attempted by the two of us, there is a story here.  I have mapped out the way to Alamo but for some reason, my GPS wants to take me to Love Field - an actual field, not the airport and we are by-passing the airport.  It is discovered before too long and we find the right road.  The entrance is a whole different story.  Up the ramp only to discover that private cars are not allowed and Sherri has to back down the curvy ramp once more.  Yay!  The place is right there!  Hopping out of the car, I am going to hoof it and tell Sherri to just wait.  That is followed up, by me, with "I'm wearing my slippers."  Argh.  In I go and everything goes smooth and I have the van.  Sherri has left and as I drive away, I am struck with the thought that I don't want my last words to her to be about my slippers.  "Yes, Officer, her last words were, 'I'm wearing my slippers.'"  A simple call will work through that.  Nope --- we both still have our phones on Do Not Disturb and it takes numerous tries before I realize it.  Goodness.  Does this bode well for the trip?  

At any rate, I'm soon back at the house and we are ready to load.  Others have arrived and the whole Tetris game begins with Sherri and I packing all suitcases into the far back.  The back doors are slammed by both of us and fingers crossed they stay that way.

I put a breakfast casserole in the crockpot last night and made some banana bread so my sweet Mister is feeding the masses and trying to make sure we have all that we need in the process.  He has added a bag for emergencies, some Kleenex, and a stand for our phones while using GPS.

  




With the van finished, it's time for food for the redhead as well.  Hugs of excitement follow.


Women everywhere in the house, and yet, there are only 7 of us.



That's it.  It's time.  Much laughter and smiles all around.


Preparing for a group picture.


Finally ---- we are ready.  Sherri, Samantha, Jennifer, Paula, Terry, myself, and Stephannie bid you adieu for little bit.  


And we're outta here --- Mister's view.


My view - Ms. Sherri is driving and I'm riding shotgun.


She can do it better - 


It doesn't take long before some are snoozing.


Our first stop - must have a break and some snacks.


AND some rearranging of a bag allows for a discovery of a lost Brazos retreat item - a BINGO ball.  Yes, in the van to Virginia.  Crazy.  Go Stephannie.


It only took us three restaurants to find one open so lunch is Mexican and the quilty mural is cool.  



The scenic tour to get back to the highway and look who I am following.


Hello Memphis and the Mississippi River.


Overall, we made pretty good time and are stopping for the evening in Memphis.  Within walking distance is Brookhaven Pub and Grill - perfect for dinner.  I opt to drive and am glad I do as the weather begins to turn.  It's been a great day and everyone is still all smiles.


19th -  Last night we made the decision to eat the hotel breakfast and then stop at a local quilt shop before getting on the road.  It turns out that the information we received in our hotel book was not accurate.  Yes, there is an expensive restaurant, but the other part just doesn't exist anymore.  Hmmmm.


So . . . a nearby restaurant is discovered.  Southall Cafe is pretty close and wins.  Indeed, it does.  What a great spot.  Sherri has wonderful looking pancakes, even though she couldn't get French Toast the way she desired and Sam did her very best to convince Jenna, our waitress, that it could be done.  We are a bit behind schedule now, but the food was worth it.  Onto the quilt shop.


I am not going to do a separate spotlight on this shop as it really was a bit of a disappointment, but purchases were made.  It just took a REALLY long time.  At one point another lady came in and had us all giggling.  She had a LOT of words and used them all.  Then left.  Didn't buy a thing.




I always try to pick up something in a shop and fortunately, I found these fat quarters buried in the mess on the cutting table.  They can come home with me.  Now, back on the road again.  


While driving, it dawns on me that we will lose an hour due to the time change.  Argh.  We lost about an hour over breakfast confusion, another hour at the quilt shop, now the time change.  It's getting later and later for an arrival in Bristol, VA tonight.  Dang it anyway.

To add to our recurring theme of running late, at the next stop Sherri takes the keys from the ignition and sets them on her cup (this is a reenactment picture - they were laying without any silver showing at all) and the half-hour hunt ensues.  I kid you not - I searched everywhere around that cup, even picking it up and looking behind it.  Finally, Sam's younger eyes spot them.  OMG.  Another legendary moment is born.

It's getting late in when we arrive in Knoxville but the group decision is to have dinner and just get into Bristol REALLY late.  I call ahead to the hotel so that they don't give up our rooms and into Knoxville we go.  The van doesn't like the small, close quarters, making things interesting.  As we turn around to drop people off at Downtown Grill & Brewery, I spot this statue.  it is "The Oarsman" by David Phelps and installed in 1988.  While appearing as though he is earnestly rowing his way out of the concrete of the city, another perspective could be that the boat is sinking in the concrete.  At any rate, it's interesting.


Sherri and I drop all at the brewery and go to find a parking spot.  THAT is a whole other story but I'll just say that parking garages didn't work.  Once we find our way back to the restaurant for dinner, the gang has a great window table and I'm happy for a beer and food.


My salad is made tableside  fun.


Yum!!


Ice cream is across the street ---- some do indulge.



Again, the trek to retrieve the car provides more entertainment as we barely get into the van and lock the doors before someone shows up at the driver's window.  Goodness.  Take a peek above at the clock picture and notice the traffic cones.  Suffice to say - they may have gotten in our way.

No matter - we get back on the road - have a crazy late arrival - go straight to bed.  Tomorrow, we have a later start since Bonnie has requested a bit more time to get the house ready.  We're gonna sleep in and then go to a quilt shop in Abingdon. (post not over yet)

20th -  Good Morning!!!  Perkins is the morning destination and I am so happy for some crepes.  


We are all smiles --- the ride ends today.  Everyone will be thrilled to leave the van for a bit.


Now for the quilt shop.  It is open when we arrive and the Virginia Highlands Quilt Shop does NOT disappoint in way at all.  Here is a LINK to see all that we did.  Purchases did leave here and we are, once again, finding places to stash it all in the van.  A small contest did take place, but I'll not share who won.


My fun - future retreats in mind.


The next stop is in Marion, VA.  We need groceries and NOW the van REALLY is cramped inside.  Just around 45 minutes to go.

Hello Quiltville!!!


As we drive up, Bonnie is in the yard waving and the smile on her face is enormous.  Hugs all around and let the fun begin.  She helps us unload the massive amount of items inside the van and it is actually incredible how much there is.  Wow.

Inside the Inn.  I'll share a few pictures each day rather than one big pictorial.  That way I can explore as I go.  Enjoy!!



Where to sit?



Stairs --- up we go as all the bedrooms are up there.


But - oh how lovely they are.


The "Instructor's Room" - we are not using it.



Our choice - 



Sherri has been wanting to swing on this for over a year.  She doesn't waste any time.


But, THIS is the money shot.


We are HERE!  The "Three Musketeers" have made it.



Views from the back deck.  The old mill will need to be explored more.



Sherri and Bonnie - down to the river they go.




While down there, Bonnie sees us taking pictures and decides to get one of her own.



The old water tower across the road.


Bonnie brought up Catching Rainbows to share - Love the many "flavors" of this quilt.


My task - charms.  Always.


Followed by dinner.  Sherri and I have first night - It's Chicken Picatta over Angel Hair pasta with a salad and brownies for dessert.  The kitchen is sooooo well-equipped that it makes the task super easy.  While we prepare in the kitchen, others have made the dining table ready, complete with beautiful wine glasses that Irene gifted to Bonnie when she opened the Inn.  So, so lovely.  Bonnie's placemats just make it all perfect.


Smile Y'all.  We are settled in for a week of fun.


One last task for tonight --- everyone needs to sign the back of our gift to Bonnie.  She has gone home for the evening so it is our chance to be sneaky.



Done.  So is the day.  See ya tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment