Sunday, April 25, 2021

Epic Road Trip - Day 8 - Ponies!!

Good Morning to Day 8 of the Epic Road Trip!  We have fun plans for today, but they will happen in the afternoon and that means we all get to spend time in the sewing room.  Jen has finished another bag and has her TA-DA.  I LOVE these bags and must find time to make one.

I am focusing on getting items ready for further work.  My two skinnies for May now are quilted and have the binding on.  I can bury threads and hand stitch the binding while traveling home.  Well, I think I can, but will it happen?  I am also working on a few Row by Rows.  All the pieces were cut ahead and I am just pressing them into place for applique once home again.  These are the two I picked up last year on our Arkansas trip.




A third row requires the making of some blocks.  I really don't do wonky well and then I discover that I am missing pieces.  Goodness, but that seems to be the theme of this retreat for me.


Lunch has been eaten and we are heading out.  Our destination is Grayson Highlands State Park and Zoey is along for the ride.


Curvy, curvy roads happen next.  Oh my.  Once inside the park, our first stop is at the overlook.  It's gorgeous NOW and I can only imagine it in the fall.  Hey Mister, what do you think about our October trip this direction?


Yep, the tiara came along today.


Gather round - Today's adventurers are Jennifer, Samantha, Stephannie, Linda, Terry, Sherri, and I, along with Bonnie.


I am sharing this picture because it is one of the few moments where Sherri and I are in the front of the pack.  More often --- we hang at the back.  The views all around us are crazy cool and soooo many pictures are taken.  I cannot share them all here, but it should be a destination for all.


Oooooh, I spy a rock up there that I want to hike to.  Sadly, I am told that it is not on the agenda for today.  Another time Mr. Rock, I promise.


Over the next ridge we come upon our first ponies.  Ahhh, my heart.



We are at the intersection of the Appalachian Trail. We will actually be hiking part of the trail today and I like that I can say that.  How fun.  Now, which way do we go?



More ponies - 


Proof that I was here.  Yep, it's dang windy and chilly.



Notice how in the upper right, I've been left.  Yep, at the back.


Way back.



Rest stop at the top.


She's in solitary.


Some info to share.


Bears are around AND we are starting our leg of the trail.


Even with the chill, it's a great day!!!  I'm loving being out hiking again and, thankfully, my knee is behaving itself.  I know it's there, but we're making it.



Strolling along.


An underground stream makes an appearance.


We stop at a rock for a picture together.  No idea what takes place, but Bonnie says, "Do TA-DA," and the heavens open behind us, giving this crazy cool shot.  Gotta love nature.


And then it was gone.


At the back of the pack going around rather large mud puddles.


Is this an OLD apple tree?  I know it is surrounded by wild berry bushes.

 
More ponies - Bonnie says we are super lucky to see so many.


A new foal --- so sweet.  I try not to disturb while walking closer.


Another resting - 



At some point, having people on both sides of this one caused some nervousness, but all went well.



A wonderful overlook with a very cool fence.


Making the final return and there is my rock again --- this time with a pony as well. (My picture didn't turn out as well as Stephannie's -- this is hers.)  And with that, we are back to the car and making the return trip to the Inn.  All are happy, happy girls and full of chatter about all that was seen.


It is Frieda's birthday today ---- of course we didn't forget.  


Bonnie even shared her good china for the occasion.


Happy, Happy Birthday, dear friend.


While we were out and about, Paula has a completion.  Her new "retreat" quilt top is ready to TA-DA


Scenes from the fireplace mantles in the sewing room.  And that's the day.  I'm beat and ready for bed.  Not even a stop in the Hen Den tonight.  Those of us who hiked will sleep well and tomorrow is another physical day.



No comments:

Post a Comment