Thursday, August 29, 2019

Quilt Sister Cruise #1 - Day Seven - Cozumel

OMG!!!  The day I have been waiting for the most has finally arrived.  Our port is Cozumel and when we first decided on this cruise, I selected the excursion that was on my bucket list.  Cenotes and not just any cenote, but specifically, A Blue Hole.  Let this day begin.

Rocky and I meet up on deck and decide to eat out on deck.  Oh wow.  We discover that EVERY lounge chair on deck is decorated with a towel animal.  It is just so cool that we stop and take photos for a really long time.  I have tons, but will just share the overall effect in this post.







Be still my heart - 


As we sit and eat breakfast, the others join in and soon Cozumel is on the horizon.  Four of us, however, will not set foot on her as our excursion is on the mainland.


We will exit the back of the ship and take a ferry over to Playa del Carmen and that finds us taking the crews stairs down, down, down.  I have to laugh when I spot this sign.  I took two pictures and they both have the light in the center.  It says,"  AKA, The bridgey thing that crosses to land."  Our ferry is waiting and in we go.  There are several excursions leaving together and soon we are on our way.  The major plan for today is to stay out of the sun.  Rocky and I opt for center aisle seats for that precise reason.


Bye bye Vista --- we'll see ya later today.


A forty-five minute ride ensues and is followed by a walk down the pier and to the buses.  Now for our drive to the Mayan Lands.


As happened in Jamaica, we are dropped a the gate and it's on foot from here.

Ya just never know what will show itself while walking through the jungle.  This morning it is a fairly good-sized iguana keeping us company.  With only a short walk, we are soon at the first cenote.  Oh my goodness.  It is just so beautiful.  We dump our personal belongings and before we know it, our guide is demonstrating the method we may use to enter the hole.  I'm oh so game, but wait to take pictures of the others first.


Rocky is up to the challenge, even though she says one word repeatedly as she moves down the zip line.


Linda opts for a lower entry and is soon basking in the water.


Ramona takes another approach and jumps from the platform, all while holding onto her hat.



It's my turn and Ramona mans the camera for me.  Wheeeee


The life jacket stinks for jumping and I vow not to use it again.  But the drop itself is amazing.


Rocky and I opt for a platform jump as well.  Notice -- my jacket is now gone.


It is still required though, so I threw it in first and now have to retrieve it.  Fun rules.


Our time at the first hole has run out and we're off for some more jungle walking.  This time we are told not to touch the specially marked trees as the bark is poisonous.  Oh yay, don't lose your balance or trip over the roots in the path ladies.

Along the path, the next cenote starts to come into view.  This one is HUGE and we see so many fun activities accompanying it.  Another sample jump from the guide, this time from a lower platform.  So he says ---- I think because it sticks out over the water this time, it seems higher.  Say howdy to him.


Just hanging out --- it's so lovely.  Honest.


Okay, here goes.  I'm ready for another jump.  First the life jacket goes flying.  Then, after checking the height one more time, I follow.

While just floating nearby, Ramona manages to record the whole thing.  Yep, it's quick -- don't blink, but the video is fun to have.  Thank you for sharing, Ramona.




Our next adventure at this cenote is a true zip line.  I go first so that I can take pictures of everyone else arriving.  A little bravery happens and I let go of the rope to take some shots of the journey down.  (Ramona took a great video of me taking off, but I cannot open it other than in Messenger.  It happens.)  I can, however, open the still.




Here come the others -








 Our next task is to return to our belongings, up where the zip line took off and we get there by canoeing through the cenote.  Lessons in paddling thus ensue.  At one point we are paddling directly over scuba divers and can see them below us.  Very cool.  The water is just amazing --- clear and warm.  Not as warm as the first cenote, but still crazy delightful.  Along the way back, we spot some birds in trees, just watching us as much as we are watching them.


Our beautiful view as we paddle along.


Is this a hive?  We're not sure.


Looking back to see how Linda and Ramona are doing.


Rocky and I dock, retrieve our belongings and head to the next gathering spot.  We even have time to rest a bit.  A short time, mind you, but still fun.


Once everyone has caught up, the hike resumes and Cenote Azul is next.  I am so stoked.  It's time to bring out the snorkel equipment we've been hauling around. 


Almost there


Oh my!!!


So beautiful!!!  Into the water I go.  Ooooh, it's much cooler and takes a few minutes to get used to it.


Just enjoy.



Once I've explored all throughout the hole viewed the hidden river below the overhangs, it's time for another jump.  The hole is much deeper at the other end and we are allowed to jump.  Here goes.  Rocky and I go together.



This is CRAZY deep but one can see all the way to the bottom.  The water is just THAT clear.


Sadly, we have to move on after a bit.  It's almost 2 in the afternoon and I am starving.  Our destination is a Mayan Village, where they are preparing lunch for us.  As we approach, I grab a few pictures here and there.




These lovely ladies are doing some beautiful stitching --- gorgeous embroidery.  They don't speak English so we work our way through my letting them know how much I love it.


The "kitchen" where our food is prepared.  It's a communal one and used daily for the villages needs.


It looks so good and I'm so happy to sit and imbibe.


Our big adventure is coming to an end and the trek back to the bus has begun.


After the same long bus and ferry rides, we are back on board.  We are the last to arrive and are very late due to two bad accidents along the road during our return.  I am absolutely beat -- my sunburn has blistered all over and even dinner becomes to much to bear.  I'm calling it a night.  What a great day though!  I would definitely do it all over again AND I have a great gift for my sweetie as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment