Saturday, August 10, 2019

Quilt Plano 2019 - Feast for the Eyes

Five thirty a.m. and the alarm is quietly letting me know that it's time to get up.  No, this is not normal for me but today is special.  I am meeting friends for breakfast and following that up with the Plano Quilt Show.  (I also have a Red Hat event today so am wearing a dress, but that is another story for another post.)  Some traditions must be maintained and Poor Richard's Cafe is one of those.  Since I have arrived a few minutes early, this section on the menu has caught my attention.  As I read, Brenda and Sam arrive and lost time is made up.  It's so fun to chat and enjoy one another.  We have an hour and a half to do just that.  Simply wonderful!!  What a great way to start the day.  It's sad to say good-bye to Brenda, but we are thankful she took the time to share this morning.  Onto the show.




Arriving a few minutes early, we attempt a restroom stop, but meet a lady very determined to keep us out.  Well alrighty then.  While waiting outside, Candy K., spots us and comes over to say hi.  It's great to see her again and introduce her to Sam.  Oooooh, the doors are open.

As always, the mini quilt auction is right up front and this little one catches my eye big time.  I think that Beach Scene by Mickie Warrington  incorporates fabric painting into the piece and I am fascinated by the effect it provides.


In the door we go.  Are you ready for some eye candy?  I certainly am and as much as I would love to show all the quilts to everyone, you will just have to settle for the ones that really stop me in my tracks - whether due to color, design, quilting, or just something for me to learn.  Come along. feast with me, and if the ones my eyes select have also won a ribbon, bonus.

"Have a Cup of Coffee" by Diana Florence of Dallas, TX (Quilted by Joanie Wyrick) reminds me that I have been collecting coffee fabrics for quite awhile now.  However, the embroidery work in these coffee sayings really is fantastic.  She wrote, "My husband asked me to make him a coffee cup quilt - to make it big enough I added machine embroidery coffee sayings."  LOVE!!  The opening saying of A Yawn is a Silent Scream for Coffee just says it all.


These next four quilts are the same pattern handled different.  (There are a few variations, I know, but work with me here.)  It was a small group challenge for this show and each person chose a different color/fabric/theme.  I was fascinated with the ways different fabrics, colors, and QUILTING played a role in them.  First up is "Long Time Gone" by Jeanne Smith of McKinney, TX.  (Quilter Maggi Honeyman).  This one is in French General fabric.


This one is by Pam Walsh of Dallas, TX


More color by Sharon Schenke of Plano, TX.  (Quilted by Maggi Honeyman)


The fourth I chose is by Lynne Fritsche.  Isn't it fun to see the differences little things make?  For those who went to the Monet exhibit with me this week --- exactly what we were talking about with the water lilies.


Blue and white quilts are kind of drawing me in right now.  I wonder why????  This one is "Tuscan Blue" by Davene Hutchins of Corinth, TX.  (Quilted by Mona Levingston)  Davene writes, "The high contrast of blue and white has always stirred my heart.  And the addition of the Shibori fabrics makes this quilt almost perfect in my eyes."


Color, color, and more color.  Someday . . . .   This is "Stars for Pearl" by Rebecca Griffith of Azle, TX (Quilted by Pam Wingate) and my picture just doesn't do it justice at all.  The colors are so much more vibrant.  According to Rebecca, "Pearl is my maternal grandmother's middle name and this quilt is dedicated to her memory.  Over 2800 pieces, not counting the piping or 250ish prairie points."  I REALLY should have taken an up-close picture of the edge.  Argh.


So . . . . THIS Row by Row is just plain amazing.  Entitled "Celebration of Music," it is by Patricia Fowler of Plano, TX (Quilted by Joanie Wyrick).  I am so glad they added more sizes to these as the quilts are just turning out wonderful.


I have to admit --- I LOVE snowmen.  I always have.  In fact, if truth be told, I used to have one entire room of my house in Montana decorated with snowmen each year.  Yep -- they are pretty cool.  This quilt is just yummy to me.  "Merry Merry Snowmen" by Gloria Ann Haney of Murphy, TX (Quilted by Jackie Brown) just puts perma grin on my face.


Stop me in my tracks!  Seriously.  Both Sam and I are pulled in super close to this one.  "And So It Grows" by Cynthia Weisz of Telephone, TX (Quilted by Jackie Brown) has me standing in awe.  She says, "When I began this quilt, I had no idea how my life would be changing.  I moved from the city to a farm, lost both sets of parents and my husband.  Went from 2 to 8 grandchildren.  So it grows through eight years."  Wow.

What is remarkable, to me, about this quilt is that she has mixed wool and cotton in her applique.  I really want to try that and play to see what I can come up with.


Take just a second to look at the center medallion up close and person.  It IS a true family tree --- even down to the roots.  (You may have to really enlarge to see the names there.)  Magnificent.


Stephanie B.B. -- I snapped this pic just for you.  Books --- AND cross stitching --- this must make your heart happy.  It is "Lee Cee's Library" by Kim Martin of Plano, TX.  It was "made for my best friend, a language arts teacher.  These are her favorite books and pictures of her family."


Best in Show is "Dream's Garden" by Sun Mee Seen of McKinney, TX (Quilted by Jackie Brown).  She says, "I really like hand applique.  So I made this quilt to do as much hand applique as I wanted to."  It is beautiful and oh so scary to me, but I keep saying --- someday . . . .


I love the whimsy in this next one and want to play here a bit.  We are exchanging beach wall hangings at retreat in September and to those of you attending (if you are reading this), this is what I expect from each person --- except me.  Hahahahaha.  This is "The Pearl Hunter" by Elizabeth Budd of Lewisville, TX and she made it for the 2016 Hoffman Challenge.


Okay --- be still my hand quilting heart.  I cannot bow down low enough on this one.  It is impeccable and totally out of this world.  The simplicity of the quilt allows for the quilting to shine and it does just that.  I know, I know -- I wrote about this one during the Dallas show last March, but, honestly -- it bears another look.  "Lotus Pond" by Sun Mee Seen of McKinney, TX so deserves these awards.  She writes, "This quilt is picturing the lotus flowers floating on a pond.  I really enjoy hand quilting."  Well, I ENJOY seeing your work, both here and above.


Look close -


I know, I know --- where are the traditional quilts that I love so much?  Up next is just that.  It is "Geese on the Meadow" by Penny Treaster of McKinney, TX (Quilted by Diann Loper).  Penny says, "This quilt has a tremendous amount of tiny pieced blocks which I enjoyed making, but boy did it take awhile to complete."  Oooooh --- this just makes me want to start cutting and sewing.


This, too, is a repeat for me, so I must really like it.  Some modern mixed with my love of little pieces.  "Celebrating 50" by Kathy Thibodeau of Carrolllton, TX was made for her sister and brother-in-law's 50th wedding anniversary.  What a wonderful gift.


The next two are Farm Girl quilts and I am so tempted to make one of these.  I am reminded of my friend Jennifer S. who loves yellow as I take these in.  The first is by Kaye Dunn of McKinney, TX (Quilted by Richard Larson) and called "Frances and Molly - Farm Girls).  Kay states, "I'm definitely  not a Farm Girl but my grandmothers, Frances Raunikar and Molly Dunagan were.  They were a huge influence in my quilting journey so this quilt is dedicated to them."


The second one (and I apologize for whatever my camera has done as this is not different colors on the diagonal) is by Jill Wade of Hurst, TX (Quilted by Judy Shulter) and Jill says, "As a farm girl at heart, I instantly fell in love with this quilt.  Each block was a pure joy to make!"  Keep talking, I'll get up the nerve soon.


About this time, we hear Sam's name called over the loud speaker and she was won a door prize.  Detour required.


Now, back to business.  TRADITIONAL!!  My heart is happy.  This is "My Country Charmer" by Marty Anderson, of Parker, TX.  Yes.  I want to make this.  I adore the secondary pattern that takes place within it.  She writes, "It was fun to create the different stars on this quilt from my fabric stash."  Even better --- use it up.


So . . . . if you follow my blog at all, you know how much I love the zoo and the animals.  Everything in me wants to see these next two at the Dallas Zoo where thousands can witness the beauty of them.  I mean that with all my heart.  These are simply divine.   First -- The Simmons Hippo Outpost information room would be a crazy cool spot for this one.  It is "A Day in the Life of a Hippo" by Rose-Clair Fletcher.  She says that this "is an applique drawing done on white cotton fabric and applied to a black background.  (The hippo is from a stock photo.)  The whole thing is then thread painted using Robison Anton and Glide embroidery thread."  Just sit and drool y'all.


This next one --- could be near a conservation donation box.  How could anyone resist?  This is "Once They are Gone . . . " by Linda Chappell of Plano, TX.  She states, "On our trip to South Africa, we saw these animals (except the tigers) up close and personal as we visited Kruger and Chobe National Park, Lion Park and an elephant sanctuary."  I love everything about it -- from the words to the "cage" statement to the importance of the message.


Dear Jane.  What can I say?  I have had a longing and fearful relationship with you for awhile now.  I did buy the pattern.  That's something right?  At any rate, you are calling once again.  This one is by Susan Alotto of Colleyville, TX (Quilted by Tia Curtis).  Susan says, "Making this quilt was a journey that took me 11 years to complete.  It was fun to learn new techniques and make new friends."  See --- that is why is hesitate.  Do I have 11 more years in me?


More Christmas.  I keep thinking I am done in that department and then something new comes along.  Gingerbread houses!!  How fun is this?  "Christmas Memories" by Judy Faulkner of Fort Worth, TX is calling me.  Loudly.  She says, "The Christmas Gingerbread House was a favorite Christmas tradition of mine.  This quilt was the perfect way to memorialize it!  I had fun personalizing the dog house with Pennie, our family dachshund."  I really need to step away from the computer before I order this pattern.


More snowmen (snowwomen).  Just kill me now.  I am really trying to be good.  This is "Sewing Snow Ladies" by Mardy Cronister of Fairview, TX (Quilted by Judy Shulter) and I am coveting big time.  I totally understand her statement, "This whimsical pattern caught my attention so much, that I had to make it."  Run, girl, run --- keep those fingers from surfing.


Okay --- I am once again stopping --- for a long time.  Oh my.  This is crazy cool.  "My Baltimore Album" by Sally Brown (Quilted by Jackie Brown) is phenomenal.  Truly.  Ya gotta just take the time to see all that is going on.  In addition to the wonderful needle-turn applique, there are fun extras hidden in plain sight.  Sally writes, "I wanted this quilt to represent me, my family, our values and my Lord, Jesus Christ.  I chose to do that with the inking."  As I said, you have to look close.


Need some help?  Examples of the inking and other techniques too.  Look at those folded roses and the ruching in the blue flowers.


Or how about these folded violets (?)?  Or maybe the beading along the edge that is INSIDE the fabric.  So very cool.  And let's not forget the amazing machine quilting.  This has it all.


A quick glance to make sure I'm not alone in my little world.


And that's a wrap.  We have met up with Lori and I am sending those two on their merry way while I head off to another event.  What a wonderful way to start my day.  Thank you so very much, Sam, for taking the time and driving so far just to play for awhile.  Love ya tons.

No comments:

Post a Comment