Friday, September 30, 2022

September 2022 Monthly Quilt Update

 Our theme this year is just so fun.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post and another  September LINK as well.  I'm super excited about where this will take me.  I know we all have colors that may not bring on the warm fuzzies, but this will be a chance to really challenge ourselves and we may find that our tastes can change.  

If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.


 In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (hopefully), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

Onto September and an explosion of orange.  


Please remember that any links in here will open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads or popups EVER.

Here is your September BINGO card -

1st - Sick, sick, sick.  ARGH!  The past year has sucked in that regard.  I have minimal energy and spend most of the day on the sofa, but there are little bouts of productivity.  I've cut the template for a project AND the project itself.


With that, it's back to the sofa and a COVID test to see what's up.  Negative.  So, I guess it's just a TERRIBLE cold.


Mail call --- some HP fabric and some wool for an upcoming hand project while traveling.


As I'm lying on the sofa --- this little guy is watching me and wanting some food.


Summoning all the strength I can, I head for the machine and crank out a few Ruby Jubilee blocks.  I am now caught up until the reveal comes out.


There are a few bonus HST's to throw into the container.  I think this will have a fun label in the end.

2nd -  The Secret Lives of Color - Dutch Orange.  Make three 3 1/2" blocks.  This is such a fun color category and t his shade is so deeply Dutch.  Its history goes waaaay back to the House of Orange.  There is an assassination story, portrait clothing fun, and New York was, for a short time, New Orange.  Ya gotta read all about it.  This book is fabulous.


Nothing has changed -- still feel awful, BUT I am forcing myself to function until noon.  In the mail today is something for the beach and October retreats.  Surprise ahead.  Also some more wool.  It's almost all here now -- just waiting on the black background piece.  That means I can get started on drawing the shapes I will need onto fusible web.


Also - a bit of work on an upcoming gift for a great-nephew.


Now for some SLC time.  I'm ready to make some bigger blocks.  Layout and finish for Block E


Block F - layout and finish


Block G layout and finish


Block H finish - somehow I didn't get a layout picture.


Block I layout and finish - 

I have the chance to add new Illusions blocks to the mother ship and it's getting there --- only 3 more blocks to go.


Late afternoon mail delivery - 

always need spray baste, bottles for surprise project, new cookie cutters, needles for trying out a new type of quilting, a book to read, and something for my Christmas party.  Moving forward - so many irons in the fire at once.  I am still in shop mode and being on the sofa so much isn't helping.

For my final evening burst of energy --- I figure out which wool gets which shape.


3rd - The morning has not brought me any reprieve with this dratted cold.  Oh how I wish it would have.  Trying to keep moving -- the shapes are pressed and cut out --- ready for the trip.


I've started book 3 - more research, ya know.


Since I had my wool out and was rummaging through it, it seemed like a good time to clean out the bin.


My project is kitted up -- thread too.


4th - This cold is just hanging on but I need to get the living room floor cleaned up so I'm still working  away on the SLC blocks.   Big block 2 layout and finish


Big Block 3 layout and finish - 


This is what my corner looks like so far.  Oh so far to go.


Onto cutting out a baby "quilt" for a new great niece/nephew.  I'm trying an all-new-to-me technique.


At the same time, I've cut the quilt for my great-nephew.  Mister went out to get food and even was a champ and stopped at Joann's for me so that I could get the interfacing I need for another project that will happen in November.


5th -  Believe it or not, I am still fighting this cold and it's really wearing me down.  Today, all I can manage is to cut the bag I'm making at November retreat.  That was IT.


6th - Somehow I'm mustering the "I AM WELL" attitude and doing the mind over matter thing.  I have cleaned the house, pinned the baby blanket, and cut binding for Grayson quilt.  At that point I fall in a heap and just read.  So much for the mind thing.

7th - Not a lot today -- I am tired from yesterday.  Yes, paying the price for that little experiment.  I did figure out the fabric needed for the grocery tote we are making at October retreat and found that I was short a bit so ordered another piece.  The rest of my energy went to getting the October posts for SLC up and ready to go.  I also found Amaury Guichon and started following his page.  I watched his School of Chocolate on Netflix a while back, but didn't know he was posting his magnificent creations all the time.  Check out this sea turtle mama and baby.   It's ALL chocolate.


Todays mail call --- more items for beach and October.


8th - The Secret Lives of Color - Saffron.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  Isn't this color beautiful?  Do you like saffron?  It's a crazy-expensive spice with such an interesting history and a crazy-short harvest time.  Hear ye, hear ye - read all about it.


The world is a bit sadder today as Queen Elizabeth passed away.  She is the only queen of my generation and it all feels strange.  At least, I'm starting to feel better --- thank goodness.  

One more COVID test (this makes three and all are negative) just to make dang sure before heading to the beach and the beginnings of a new book.  Taking it easy today so that I stay on the upswing.  While on the sofa -- it's time for another movie.  This research is rather enlightening and I'm enjoying it a great deal. 


9th -  I'm packing and getting ready to leave tomorrow.  Went to Costco and Kroger - let's just say I lost mind.  There is NO WAY three people and all of our items are going to make it to the beach.  I am certifiably a crazy person.  What am I going to do?  Packing is complete and the car is loaded.  Oh - I have the beginnings of a pretty cool charcuterie board.  Kelly will be adding to it when she arrives.


10th - The day has finally arrived and my cold has departed.  I'm safe to be around others.  Hallelujah.  Stephannie arrives and we are off to the beach for a week of bliss, but first -- the traditional Buc-ee's picture.  To share in all of our fun - here is the LINK.


A stop at A Needle and Thread --- what a cute new shop.


I spotted this bundle and was instantly drooling.  Oh my.  I escaped without it but time will tell if it finds itself part of my treasure trove.


Stop number two at GRS has us out the back door where I find some fabric for an upcoming idea.  Now, we are running a bit late to get to the beach and get the house opened up.  However, it is soon all worth the wait as the view of the water comes at us.


Ending the night with a beautiful moonrise.  Loving life.


11th - Day 2 of beach life.  Breakfast is on me and it's a pizza.


Life at the beach is just so relaxing.  Each little thing creates a smile and a sense of calm.


My TA-DONE for today --- I big-stitch hand-quilted it while enjoying where I am.  What could be better?


Night from the house - 


12th - The Secret Lines of Color - Amber.  Make one 3 1/2" block and one 6 1/2" block.  What does this color bring to mind?  Jurassic Park perhaps?  Or just beautiful jewelry.  At any rate please read the story of the Eighth Wonder of the World -- WOW.


Day 3 at the beach and a sunrise - 


Some crazy redhead decided to make sugar cookies down here.



Cookies are about all I accomplished today - wow.


13th - Day 4 in Surfside and I have a TA-DONE.  I saw this pattern while at MSQC last month and want to make them in the November retreat.  Seriously took me less than an hour.  Woah.  Love it and it has my regular purse inside to show dimension and size.


I also finished the binding on this wonky runner from MSQC.  Is it supposed to be wonky - heck no.  So many lessons learned.


A little cookie decorating happened.



Time outside while we walk down to the restaurant for dinner.



14th - Day 5 - It's another fabulous day and I am trying to soak it all in as much as I can.  Here is the Days 5-8 LINK if you want to see more beauty and fun.


These ladies have been with me at the beach EVERY year that I've hosted a gathering here.  My heart is so full.


We are off on an adventure today and you can read all about it in the above link.  I do return home with 3 bolts of cork, some fat quarters for next years Harry Potter project, backing for my SLC top and a fun neutral.


We also add a bit of culture to our lives.



Home just as the sun is heading down.


And some deck sitting to end the day.  Can you say "relaxed" and truly mean it.  We can.


15th - The Secret Lives of Color - Ginger.  Make one 3 1/2" block and one 6 1/2" block.  This is MY color according to the new terms for a redhead.  I LOVE ginger in foods and it's my favorite spice - for sure.  This chapter is sooooo good and I'll share a couple lines here:  "To taste, it is hot and pungent, insistent and exotic.  And, somewhere along the way, it was these qualities that led to its association with a particular group of people:  redheads."  There ya go.  Get the book - it's not too late.


Day 6 and there is a chance of a storm today, but it is still so beautiful.


Special time with a special friend.


My contribution to the meals -- a charcuterie board for lunch.


I got all the strips cut for Long May She Wave, an upcoming mystery I joined in.  Why? I have no idea except to say that I'm a crazy girl.


16th - Day 7 and the perfect view while reading a book and basking in the ocean air.


Using our time wisely --- friendship and fun.  No better way.


17th - The dreaded last day has arrived.  I've chosen a few moments to myself - celebrating the golden hour and absorbing enough to hold me until next month.




Packing and cleaning happen next and all of my lovely gift items are packed super carefully.


Time to go --- Surfside Out


A stop for snacks on the way home nets me some fresh orange juice and as soon as the car us unloaded, Mister and I are off to spend the evening together.


This Oktoberfest Fun LINK will let you share in the rest of our evening.


18th -   We have early morning passes to the annual fall event at the Dallas Arboretum.  Here is the Autumn at the Arboretum LINK so that you can join in with the beauty of the season.  Just a taste here.  I LOVE creativity - no matter how it happens.


This feels a bit quilty to me --- how about you?


Pure beauty.


I ended with a pumpkin sit and then it was home to relax.  Started a new book in my research for November.


But first -- a new movie as well.


19th - The Secret Lives of Color - Minium.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  This color actually had me doing more research as I'd never heard of the Gladzor Gospels.  Minium plays a big role here in the artwork, and here's a clip from the book:  "The person who worked with it was called a minator, and his work, an eye-catching symbol or heading in a manuscript, was called a miniatura.  (This is the origin of the word 'minature,' which in its original sense did not mean small at all."  Time for you to research too.


The Queen's funeral is today.  That is all.


20th -  Well, back to the living.  While at the beach, Sherri had this great light for sewing and reading - so I had to have one too.  Of course.  It arrived along with a second package containing interesting items.  What WAS I thinking when I ordered this?  Step away from the shopping.

A little bit of "quilt stuff" happens too.  The puzzle blocks that came in the mail are laid out.


The second block in the Skill Builder Mystery is cut as is the fourth block in the Designer Mystery.

I also start cutting for my shopping bag and have a lesson in reading ALL THE WORDS after doing a crazy amount of unnecessary work rendering this fabric useless for this project.  ARGH.


Maybe sewing will go better - puzzle blocks together.


As are my two blocks.  That's all for today folks.


21st - I'm trying to stay on top of what I cut each day.  Joy Filled starts today -- blocks are cut.


Clue 1 for Long May She Wave is also cut and ready to sew.


Each day since I returned from the beach, I've decorated a few cookies for my sweetheart.  The ones from today are kinda cute.


I even sneak in a movie as I've finished another book.


Onto the last one.  Whew.


Joy-filled is sewn


along with clue 1 LMSW (long name to keep typing)


22nd -  My Buttercup and Slate fabric has arrive.  I've been super excited for this one.


Greyson's quilt is laid out -- first run anyway -- more tweaking will happen.


23rd - The Secret Lives of Color - Nude.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  I remember back when I worked as a Director with the Miss Montana Pageant and we taught, taught, taught that nude was the color of hose AND heels.  "Follow the line down" was the mantra.  It's been a color in fashion forever, but times are a changing as one person's nude is not another's.  Look into the work by Angelica Dass, a Brazilian photographer, and her project entitled "Humanae."  She has over 2,500 skin tones now.  Cool.


First thing this morning, I see the light through the office window and head out for a picture.  This is just so pretty.


I've moved a few things around and sewn the columns for this quilt.  Also some bits and parts on Illusions October and November.


24th - Oh Happy Day Mystery starts today and I'm breaking into the Buttercup and Slate fabrics.  Yum.  The first block is pretty simple so I have it cut relatively quick and then laid out on a mini design board.  Off to the studio real quick and I have the applique finished for the Illusions blocks.


Sashing fabric strips are cut for Greyson's quilt and then I'm off to get dressed for a Red Hat event.  Mister is dropping me off so that we can have a little fun later.  Here is a bit of what ensued while there - Red Hat LINK.  Once he picks me back up --- what to do, what to do.  We stop at a new-to-us brewery, but are a little unimpressed and decide to move on.  McKinney has it's big Oktoberfest celebration today - so why not?  When we arrive, it's almost 5 p.m. and I want to check out Downtown Dry Goods real quick as I've only peeked at it through the windows before.  Here is the LINK so that you can peek in as well and perhaps plan a visit.


Now --- onto Oktoberfest.  Right outside the shop there are dancers and the festival atmosphere surrounds us.  Here is the Weekend LINK to share in the fun and watch the video.



25th - Morning at White Rock Lake --- I share soooo many pictures in the link yesterday.  What a calm and peaceful time for us.



Afternoon British Baking Show and charcuterie board.


I did find a few minutes to make my Oh Happy Day block and a couple of pieces to Illusions as leader/ender.


Mister surprised me with the last of the cookies being decorated.  How fun.


26th -  Monday always means that I try and start out organized and productive.  Today I am tackling a variety of projects.  One more Illusions block done (I think it's October's as I'm ahead - woot woot).


I need to get the grocery tote re-started.  I've got all the pieces cut correctly and the fusibles/interfacing pressed on.


Front and back are quilted - simple, but effective for a grocery bag.


Since I was quilting and didn't have a seam guide, my leader/enders are some paper-pieced parts of an upcoming project.


I've sewn the sashings onto Greyson's quilt and I have a definite problem now.  When math goes wrong - it really creates havoc.  I'll need to think on this for a bit.


My fabrics for Anna's Baskets have arrived.  I really had to hunt these down and one is still coming from the UK.  I just LOVED the original and want to replicate it next year.


Ooooh, October fun has also arrived.


27th - My ENTIRE focus today is on the grocery tote and by 3 in the afternoon -- it is TA-DONE.  I am so pleased with it and it's a great deal larger than I pictured in my mind.




One last item for today and the binding for the baby quilt is made.


28th -  Another clue to LMSW is out so while breakfast cooks, I've got my cutting finished.


November's Illusions is in the done column too.


Now - the brain cells have to kick in and do something with Greyson's quilt.  Soooo much piecing to line up halves of bodies and stripes.  ARGH.  My head hurts and I've created a lovely mess.


Backing has been found as well.


By the time I'm done with all the craziness --- here is my top (binding off to the side).


Top, back, binding, and label all ready to go.


Oh -- the LMSW clue is also done and marked off the list.


29th - This morning I am out in the studio and it takes me 3 hours to unbury my machine and put stuff away.  I even clean out some totes and make a bag for the swap table along the way.  Next --- load the quilt.  I've written Greyson's name in the white band before the blocks so hopefully all goes well when quilting commences.


That was about it at this point.  I headed into the office to set up bills for October, balance accounts, sent out notices and generally make sure I'm ready for a new month.  

30th - Motivation seems to be an issue today.  I'm not entirely sure why, but it's there and I'm fighting it.  The thought of quilting is overwhelming, so I'm working on smaller projects.  First up is to tackle the batting scraps and cut them into strips that I can  sew together for future jelly roll rugs.


A quick trip out back and the final applique blocks for Illusions are done.


Since I've managed to get sucked into repeating The Crown to be ready for the new season - I might as well make something while watching.  How about an ornament?  I'm pretty happy with it.


The LAST block for Illusions is also done.  Woohoo!!!!  I'll attach it to the mother ship tomorrow and then they'll just sit and wait for the border fabric to arrive at the end of the year.  Now, it's Friday and I'm off to see what's up with my sweetheart.


That brings us to October and BLACK!!!  Let's Color Your World with the many shades of this deep and mysterious color and enjoy the many moods it can take on..  The original post on this theme can be found here and all the wonderful information for month number 10 can be found in this October LINK.  That is where the new BINGO card is as well.

Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative Y'all.

UFO's to quilt:   

BOM #1 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #2 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #3 - quilt and bind - 
Winter Wonderland - quilt and bind -
Witch's Night Out - quilt and bind - 
Quarantine Challenge - quilt and bind - 
Dawn's Early Light - quilt and bind - 
Xing - quilt and bind - 
Straits of Mackinac - quilt and bind
Ruby Slippers (a.k.a Emerald City) - quilt and bind
Pfeffernusse - quilt and bind 


Current Projects:

Summer Moon Blocks - October ready to go
Farm Girl - backing/binding made - 
Sandcastles - 
Rhododendron Trail - 
Illusions BOM - So close to just borders
Ruby Jubilee -  Current until November issue
Black Table Runner - Done
Secret Lives of Color - October Ready
Round Robin (mine) - 
Long May She Wave - current
Baby Boll quilt - ready to quilt
Greyson's Quilt - Ready to quilt
Grocery Tote for October Retreat - DONE
Bag for November Retreat - DONE
Oh Happy Day - current
Designer Mystery - current
Skillbuilder - current
Puzzler Blocks - Current

UFO Items to work on:
 
Neutral strings - 
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
Whims 2nd quilt - 

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stocking - waiting until Montana to take it up there

Links to Previous 2022 Monthly Posts - 

July 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment