Friday, March 6, 2015

Orange Crush - Clue #3 - Bonnie Hunter - Mystery Quilt

It's Friday and that means it's time to post about another clue.  Yay!  I have been so busy today that this is the first chance I have had at the computer for more than 5 minutes at a time.  AND --- Mister came home and developed pictures first thing.  Ahhh, life is good.

So, onto clue 3.  We are making half-split four patches.  I have had to think long and hard on this one so that I don't have any waste.  I think I have figured it out.  Starting with a stack of 2" strips facing right side up.  After trimming the edge so that all are even, I flip it over until it is upside down.  THEN, I cut the first triangle with the easy angle ruler.  Next, flip the stack back over and grab the companion angle ruler and cut your next piece.




Keeping the stack in the same place, switch back to the Easy Angle ruler and cut the other wing.  Proceed to the neutrals as usual with right sides together and cut the required amount.  This gives you a complete set.  And it is only now that I look at these pictures that I realize that I changed things after this shot.  Yes, this gives me the required side triangles for TWO but I only cut one large triangle.  In order to still make it work and not waste fabric.  Flip the companion angle upside down after the first cut and make a second triangle right next to it.  THEN use the easy angle ruler by flipping the stack upside down again.  Perfect -- no waste and the right amount of pieces.


Within no time, I have colorful little stacks ready to be sewn together.

I love how easy these go into the machine and snuggle right up to each other.  I haven't had a single tip eaten by the feed dogs since I started using this ruler.  Not once.  No, this is not a paid commercial -- I just love the dang ruler.  I am halfway there in no time.  Now to add the larger triangles.  (And yes, my dog ear Christmas ornament is well on it's way.)


Aren't these just so fun?  I love them.


And my colorful tray -- it's filling up and I can't wait to see how this is all going to look together.  Thanks for stopping by.  If you want to play along with us on this mystery, please check out this LINK.  As always, the Orange Crush tab at the top contains links for all of the clues.

No comments:

Post a Comment