Wednesday, November 30, 2022

November 2022 Monthly Update

 

Our theme this year is just so fun.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post and another  November LINK as well.  I'm super excited about where this will take me.  I know we all have colors that may not bring on the warm fuzzies, but this will be a chance to really challenge ourselves and we may find that our tastes can change.


If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.


 In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (hopefully), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

Onto November and the joys of brown.  


Please remember that any links in here will open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads or popups EVER.

Here is your November BINGO card -

1st - The Secret Lives of Color - Khaki.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks and one 9 1/2" block.  Khaki became popular as a result of various militaries embracing it.  Odd how they finally figured out that bright red or blue was easy to find and shoot.  So much more in the book.


Summer Moon blocks have posted as well.


I am still in Montana and loving life.  Here is the Montana Days 4-6 LINK so you can enjoy it all with me.



I AM working away while here.  Today is another Oh Happy Day (OHD) cutting for two blocks.  I'ma gonna get caught up.


I'm also cutting out some new coats for Bailey - my mom's toy poodle.


A visit from our great-nephew always makes us smile.


2nd - What a difference 24 hours makes!  We've switched from fall to winter in the blink of an eye. With all of that change, I might as well make one too.  It's off to trim the locks.  A LOT!  It seems that when I'm up here, I usually go short and today is just the same.  How about this for a before and after?


Now for some sewing or at least sewing related activity.  The last blocks for Long May She Wave (LMSW) need to go together so I start with a layout.

3rd - Sewing actually happens today.  The two blocks for OHD are done and I'm momentarily caught up.


A peek outside makes my heart happy --- there is SUNSHINE.  However, there is also work to do.


Bailey's coats are TA-DONE!  Two with plaid, one lined with sherpa and the other is a lightweight one.


He looks good, right?


I also fixed the one I made last time.  I didn't have sew in velcro when I last visited and used the sticky kind, which inevitably came off.


4th - We are out and about which gives us the chance to check out the damage from the storm.  In some places the poor trees really suffered.  Here is the Days 7-9 LINK to follow along with my time here.


However, in the house we are snug as a bug in a rug.  I have a chance to get some "catch-up" work done.  The final stars for LMSW are done.  Next are the little Sewcialites blocks and I'm current there, too, now.  Man, these tiny blocks do test me.       
The strips for LMSW are cut - 


As is the next Sewcialite block.  It was a good day.

5th -  The Secret Lives of Color - Buff.  Make one 9 1/2" block and one 3 1/2" block.  When you think of "in the buff" it really does relate to this color but not how one thinks.  Move your thought process to animal skins and start there.  This book is amazing.

Mister is out in the yard for a bit and brings me a leaf.  OMG - look how huge it is.  This is a full size laptop.


We make a trip into town for some couple time and stop off to see Brock and Jill.  Guess what I see on Greyson's bed?  Yep, his new quilt.  My heart is sooooo happy.


Now for some sewing - the block for OHD is done.


As is another Sewcialite block, but I sure didn't have as easy a time with this one.  Sure hope it works out okay in the finished project.


Starting to put the rows together for LMSW and the beginnings of the December table runner are taking place.


AND - the evening ends with the Houston Astros winning the World Series.  Woot woot.

6th - We've decided to get brunch out today and are off to Riley's.  While there, I am treated to some beautiful eye candy and decide to share a bit with you.


I WISH the camera could show you the beauty of these grasses, but, alas, it can't.


There is even a little leftover Halloween magic.


For my next trick I get Summer Moon laid out by using a king size bed.


AND make some progress on the December table runner.

7th - I am helping Mom with her home today and we are decorating for Christmas.  I'll be back up in January to help her, but this way she gets to enjoy it for a couple of months and she is hosting Christmas dinner so she's ready to go.  It takes most of the day, but we get 'er done.  Here is the last LINK to our time up here.


8th -  I have put a new zipper in a jacket and prepared a hand project for some stitching while driving the rest of the way home.  Seems productive.


9th - The Secret Lives of Color - Fallow.  Make one 6 1/2" block and one 3 1/2" block.  What do you think of when you hear "fallow?"  My mind goes to fields laying fallow as do many others, but there is so much more to this color and even a riddle comes into play.  It's never too late to get the book.


Good-byes are always so hard ---- love ya Momma.


A view of the lake as we leave Woods Bay.  Here is the LINK to today's adventures.


Just an hour in - the view changes dramatically and so do our plans.  Fun times.


On the bright side - December's table runner is TA-DONE!


10th - The morning is being spent in a hotel room.  Like I said, "Fun times."  I'm stitching away on my wool wall hanging and now get to iron on more pieces.


AND more pieces still - now I can stitch some more.


By afternoon, we are back on the road again - slightly better visibility.


With a gorgeous sunset to take us over the pass.

11th -  We made it to Utah late last night and are beginning our time with Cassie and her family.  Here is the  Day 1 - Provo link to follow along with all of our amazing time.  We start out with the cutest pumpkin display on the porch.


Then follow it up with memory making grand time.



Quilts on the bed being used ALWAYS makes my heart happy.



12th -   The Day 2 - Provo link takes us through another amazing day here - with more grand time happening.




Walks that make memories for all - 


Some fun along the way - 


And laps full of babies to end the day.


My beautiful daughter - thank you for a great time.

Oh - since this is a quilting blog I thought I would share with y'all that I did actually get a little creative today.  Play Doh fun.

13th - The Secret Lives of Color - Russet.  Make two 6 1/2" blocks.  I heard the color and though of potatoes.  However, this color is much darker and has various meanings.  At one time, it was even a type of cloth.  Reading is fabulous.


We are back on the road today and here is the Homeward Bound LINK to share in the beautiful scenery that we enjoy on our drive.



14th -  The morning doesn't start out real great.  We have snow again AND while eating breakfast, I lost a tooth problem again.  This is getting old.  I called the dentist right away and can get in on Wednesday morning to get it fixed.  


Future quilts are all around us today.



By 4 in the afternoon we have arrived back home.  After 25 days and 29 family members visited, it's good to be here - even with the crazy mess in the yard.

15th - Quick, quick, quick.  I have one day to change things out and take off again.  BUT - there is a fabulous treat waiting on the porch for me.  It's Jenny Doan's Christmas package and I'm super excited.



My unpacking allows for a final picture of the new table runner.


AND, a late night visitor brings smiles.

16th - My day begins at the dentist and goes severely downhill.  They don't fix in the office.  Of course not.  Just because Montana did and Aspen Dental did doesn't mean my actual dentist will.  I have to take the denture to the lab in Bedford, wait for the fix, and then drive to retreat  What a fiasco!  A quick trip home to load the car and I'm off.  Once I have teeth again, it's off to Rainbow to set up for retreat.  Here is the Committee LINK to see all the magic happen.


Dinner with the gals.


17th -  The Secret Lives of Color - Sepia.  Make one 9 1/2" block and one 3 1/2" block.  This color's history takes us to the cuttlefish and the ink of cephalopods - and here you just thought it was brown.  It's a fascinating story.

The much-awaited retreat has begun and here is a Wizarding World Retreat LINK so that you can enjoy all of our fun with us.  SOOOOOO many TA-DA's.  For me, though, the moments with such dear friends are what I hold onto.  Memories, memories, memories.



18th - Retreat is WONDERFUL and today is our mystery game.  I've got a selfie stick and I'm trying to learn how to use it.  Success, I think.  Yep, decked out in Gryffindor colors.


These costumes are so, so good.  Everyone played and everyone did such a great job.  What an amazing memory, and one that will be talked about for years to come.


Yes, I did do some sewing.  I made the little strip blocks for my bag.

19th - Today, I have a TA-DONE.  How fun is this bag?  I fell in love with it in Missouri and it's everything I remembered.


More Sewcialites blocks are finished as well.  Are they perfect?  Oh, my heck, no.  But, they are done and they are each 3 1/2".


Love, love, love.

20th -  Drat, we have to head home today, but the fun has been intense and the love in the room, crazy strong.  My heart is full and ready to move onto new adventures in a new year.  However, my treats from this weekend will go with me when I depart today.


Departure is held off just a bit.  Jen and I have opted to stay for a few hours so that she can finish her quilt from the Missouri trip.  All that is left is binding so we both settle in and after a few hours ---


TA-DONE!  Woot, woot.


It's a wrap and I'm headed home.  Whew.  Now, my really crazy time begins.

21st - The Secret Lives of Color - Umber.  Make one 6 1/2" block and one 3 1/2" block.  Once upon a time when I did a little oil painting, Umber was a color I remember buying.  In fact, it may have been Burnt Umber.  At any rate, the word comes from the Latin ombra, meaning "shadow."  Lots and lots more and even a famous trial is related to it.  I'm in awe of this book.

I kind of took today off - except for pictures and blogging.  I'm feeling way behind once again and wonder why that is.  I'd love to keep current on it, but it truly does take more time than I realize.  Perhaps a New Year's resolution is in the making.

22nd - So, today is not off to a great start.  I mention to Mister that there is water running in my bathroom, but I'm not sure where from.  Then, I leave for a doctor's appointment, which ends in a shot and return home to no water at all.  Wonderful.  Well, I can sew, right?  So, I start laying out blocks for SLC.


Layout two Puzzler blocks which came in the mail.



Prepare for some cutting - 


Hunt for a cookie recipe - 


And actually cut - LMSW parts, Skillbuilder block, OHD blocks, Joyful blocks, Designer mystery blocks and who knows what else.  I didn't sew, but I did make progress.

23rd - Day 2 of no water - this time I will sew.  First up is the Skillbuilder blocks, which are then


added onto the Mother Ship.


Puzzler blocks are sewn and put away.


DM block is done.


OHD times 2 - sewn and ready for finishing instructions.


Joyful blocks made.


LMSW sashing and borders sewn together.  It's been a productive day and it hasn't ended yet.


As soon as my love finishes work, we are into the car and off to Abilene for time with family.  Here is the Thanksgiving LINK to share in our fun.  Lots and lots of big boys in the house.

24th - Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!  I am helping out with dinner and giving a requested birthday gift to a grandson.  Jack of all trades, master of none today.


After an amazing day, great food, and memories to hold onto, we return to Dallas and the shrouded city welcomes us.  I hope you made some memories this week - hold onto them tight.

25th - The Secret Lives of Color - Mummy.  Make one 9 1/2" block and one 3 1/2" block.  The history of this color made me shiver a bit.  It actually has to do with mummies.  No kidding.  People actually bought them just to make this color.  Crazy weird.


Day4 with no water.  It's Black Friday and I'm working on SLC blocks all day but will post about each one as they post in the group.  So - no sneak peeks.  For the evening, we have a date night - here is the PMJ LINK  so you can share in our fun.  There are even a few videos.



26th -  Day 5 with no water and I HAVE to start focusing on my party, which happens in one week.  That means each room has to be cleaned and decorated AND I have a  meal to plan for and cookies to bake.  Time to schedule AND time to clear off the sewing from all over the house.  A few last cuts on OHD for the finishing blocks happens and that's about it for fabric for a bit.


Mister is on attempt one to fix the water.


27th -  Secret Lives of Color Block J - layout and finish.

EARLY this morning, another tooth has jumped out of my denture.  This is starting to be ridiculous.  I cannot reach the dentist until tomorrow morning, so back goes the gauze in my mouth.  Fun times.  The good thing today???  Mister has the water back on and the leak is fixed.  He's beat up, but decides to go and work on the yard so I bring all of the Christmas tubs downstairs so that I can get started on this task.  There's just a few of them.


28th - The Secret Lives of Color - Taupe.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  This color ends our fun with brown and hopefully you have picked up a tidbit or two.  Taupe is a color in which no one can agree on it's exact shade.  It is a French word for "mole" and the colors of moles are a deep gray on the cold side.  Taupe is all over the place and it's generally stated that is is browner than a mole has a right to be.  

I'm off to the dentist first thing this morning and, naturally, they cannot have my repaired denture back to me until Wednesday.  ARGH.  NOT in a great mood and opt to pout for the rest of the day.  Bring on Good Witch bingeing.

29th - Secret Lives of Color - Block K layout and sewn.

Okay, get moving girl.  The dining table needs to be cleared off, so let's finish cutting mat items.  All of the recipe pages for the cookie party are now trimmed and ready to insert into the binder pages.


I took some time to map out a timeline for the next week.  Today is clean and decorate the Master Bedroom and Hallway.  Check.




Recipe pages are done and the craft items are ready as well.  Check, check.



30th - Secret Lives of Color - Big Block 4 - layout and finish.



It's Wednesday and I'm supposed to have a tooth again.  That means real food.  So . . . . since the house is a natural disaster, we might as well make it a little worse and cook our Thanksgiving meal.  Starting with the cranberry sauce.


That disaster I mentioned?





We had to turn everything off and go to the dentist, because, shock, shock - a problem arose.  Mister went with this time and I left with everything back in my mouth and prepared to enjoy our dinner.  Losing my mind and about to have a stroke with high blood pressure every time I go into that building.


BUT --- what a reward.  Perfect.  


That brings us to the end of November.  What a crazy month!  I have one more nutso week and then 3 months of calm.  At least that's what the calendar says right now, but we all know how things change.  At any rate, here comes the last month of the year and all the joy it has to offer.  Do so --- take it into your heart and pass it on, no matter your own personal situation.  Find joy and kindness - it spreads.  I promise.


That brings us to December and RED!!!  Let's Color Your World with the many shades of this deep and mysterious color and enjoy the many moods it can take on..  The original post on this theme can be found here and all the wonderful information for month number 12 can be found in this December LINK.  That is where the new BINGO card is as well.

Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative Y'all.

UFO's to quilt:   

BOM #1 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #2 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #3 - quilt and bind - 
Winter Wonderland - quilt and bind -
Witch's Night Out - quilt and bind - 
Quarantine Challenge - quilt and bind - 
Dawn's Early Light - quilt and bind - 
Xing - quilt and bind - 
Straits of Mackinac - quilt and bind
Ruby Slippers (a.k.a Emerald City) - quilt and bind
Pfeffernusse - quilt and bind 


Current Projects:

Summer Moon Blocks - done and ready to set
Farm Girl - backing/binding made - 
Sandcastles - 
Rhododendron Trail - 
Illusions BOM - ready to finish, waiting on border fabric
Ruby Jubilee -  ready to set
Red Table Runner - DONE
Secret Lives of Color - Blocks done, ready to set
Round Robin (mine) - 
Long May She Wave - Rows made, ready for sashing and borders
Oh Happy Day - Blocks done, setting stars cut
Designer Mystery - Current
Skillbuilder - Current
Puzzler Blocks - Current

UFO Items to work on:
 
Neutral strings - 
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
Whims 2nd quilt - 

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stocking - This is now a Montana Project so no work until January, at least.

Links to Previous 2022 Monthly Posts - 

July 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment