Friday, October 8, 2021

Plano Quilt Show 2021

 As luck would have it, I was out running a long list of errands when I realized that a quilt show was less than 10 minutes away.  Putting the last 3 errands on hold for an hour, off I went.  The Plano Quilt Show is the first one I've been to since Festival in 2019.  Wow!  I am all on my own and without being tempted by vendors, I have a whole hour to wander the show and drool.  Come along and see the things that interested me AND also those who were submitted by friends whose names I spotted.

Upon entering, there was an exhibition that contained three items from Janet Plotkin.  I always love her take on things.  It is ALWAYS worth it to enlarge these photos and get the full effect.  For this last one, each quilter was given an abstract outline of a face and asked to make the project in the style of Pablo Picasso.  Phenomenal job, Janet.


Next up is the wall of mini's that are for auction.  A couple of them catch my eye and make me smile.  First is "Spooky Sewing Machine by Pat Wiant.  So so, super cute.


These little birdhouses are just downright wonderful.  The buttons for the entryway are perfect!  This is "Home Tweet Home" by Rhonda Brisco and I think it is wonderful.  Remember, it's a mini.


The last mini that I want to share is "Diva Kitty" by Pam Walsh.  The cat is wonderful, but the quilting had me stopped in my tracks.  


I only stopped at one booth the entire time, but I am fascinated by it.  The vendor is Quilt Ideas and they REALLY had some fun stuff, including colored quilts.


Racks and ladders are also for sale and I love them all.


With a coloring demo going on, I do stop for a bit and watch, but time is limited and I'm on way too soon.  I will have to study up on this some more.  I did ONE block in my Christmas Quilt with coloring, but haven't touched it since.


Up close camera helps to really see what she is doing.


Okay - onto the quilts.  As I walk through the door, the Best in Show quilt by Richard Larsen of Carrollton, TX greets me and I LOVE it.  He calls it "Curly Cube" and all he has to say is, "I was going for a 3D look."  I think he succeeded.


The next one to catch my eye is "Psychodelia" by Jean Blalock of Dallas, TX and quilted by Beth Swiatek.  Jean says, "If I ever try to make a curved quilt, trying to match pieces, I might think twice.  This was a difficult quilt to construct and I hope I'm a better person for it!"


Apparently color is big with me today as the third one for me to snap a picture is "Un-Be-Weave-A-Ble" by James Harper of Raonoke, TX.  It is quilted by Mike Davidson.  James writes, "I was drawn to this quilt design when I fist started quilting but put it off for years, until I had built my confidence to attempt.  It is made with hand dyed fabrics for the movement and vibrant colors.  Check out the quilting up close and personal.  Quilting is another thing that catches my eye and makes me stop to inspect closer.  It's something I'm still intimidated by, so I am in awe of those who do it so well.
Now, for "Imaginary Sewing Room."  Oh the texture here AND the quilting.  Love, love, love.  It is by Sunmi Box of Plano, TX and quilted by Jackie Brown.  "As a graphic designer, I wanted to depict the scientific study of quilt design.  My inspiration was a collaboration between the tradional theme of sewing and modern design elements - color, geometric lines and layout design," says Sunmi,


Closer inspection - 


The "United Squares of America" is fabulous.  Such oh, so tiny squares to make this come alive.  It is by Andrea Frizzell of Denton, TX and quilted by Fran Dornan.  Andrea says there are "2,189 squares!  My biggest quilting challenge and my favorite quilting achievement."  I am bowing down.


In the next booth, a familiar name pops up and my friend, Lori Plummer of McKinney, TX, has won a blue ribbon with her "Wild n Goosey" which was quilted by Maria Hall.  Lori stated, "It took 1.5 years to make the 3-inch blocks that were made using Debra Linker ice-dyed fabrics.  Moda Grunge was used for sashings."


Color, color, color.  I'm really seeing where my heart is going right now.  This one is just so fun because it makes use of a fabric line and large squares.  So simple and yet, so effective.  It is called "Russian Rainbow" and is by Kate Merrifield of Frisco, TX and quilted by Richard Larsen.  The placard says, "Valerie Salter's granddaughter Kate's first quilt at 9 years old with the help of her Mimi."


Posy is next and it is by Rachel Rains of Richardson, TX and quilted by Sharon Lacey.  OMG -- such small pieces and so beautifully done -- more bright colors for me to spot.  Rachel says, "This quilt includes my favorite things - pink and purple and foundation paper piecing."  Look closely at the close-up.  Goodness.

"Batik Garden" by Susan Rentz of Plano, TX and quilted by Michael Davison intrigues me.  I've not attempted anything like this yet, but . . . .  Sue says that "this is a variation on a quilt that Edyta Star taught on Craftsy.  I love all of the batiks in it."  Agreed.


"So Many Bias Edges" pulls me in with the wonderful quilting which brings this quilt alive.  It is by Pamela Carroll of Athens, TX and quilted by Jackie Brown.  Pamela writes, "I was determined to have one quilted quilted by Jackie Brown before I die.  She is fabulous!"  Oh my, the up close just shows how crazy wonderful this really is.

Rounding the next corner, I spot a "Straits of Mackinac" designed by Bonnie Hunter.  This one was made by Dena Smith of Richardson, TX and quilted by Pam Wingate.  Since I'm currently working on my own SOM, I am intensely interested in this one.  I love how she used waves in the quilting.  Perfect.  Dena writes that "this quilt was supposed to use up scraps, but I now have more blue and white fabric than when I started."  Ain't it the truth?


"Bohemian Rhapsody - Sensory Overload" has me smiling from ear to ear.  The details are sublime.  It was made by Linda Chappell of Plano, TX and she says, "Freddie Mercury's song 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was my inspiration.  The blocks were constructed using the kaleidoscope technique with one fabric, then adding yoyos, piping, crystals, flowers and beads."  I had such a hard time getting the light right on this quilt - drat, but check out the close-ups below as they are brighter.




A wavy flag --- LOVE it.  "America Has Always Been Great" was made by Glenda Moore of Mesquite, TX and her simple words say it all - "A Proud American."


"Harry Potter!!!"  I added the exclamation points.  I have this pattern and one of these days, I'll break down and do it.  Love, love, love the bookcase and accoutrements.  This is by Monica Hendewerk of Plano, TX and she writes, "I always wanted to make a quilt for my daughter that she would want both because it was from me, and because she loved the quilt.  This is it.  She is ecstatic.  Over 250 different fabrics, none used twice."  So cool.


At this point I am literally stopped in my tracks.  As I edge closer to this picture (I say that because NO WAY it is a quilt), my jaw drops and then drops again.  This magnificent piece is collage and trapunto with oh so much more.  OMG!!  Why is this not best in show?  "Rembrandt's Repeat" is by Melissa Sobotka of Richardson, TX.  It is simply amazing and I'm not the only one attempting to fathom the amount of work in it.  She says, "I wanted to create an image in the style of Rembrandt's works.  I like to imagine that this still life is a sumptuous feast on a table next to the Master as he worked."  Works fo rme.


Closer-up - it is NOT a panel.  All of those fabrics are done with collage work.  


Just a short walk away, once again my jaw drops and as I'm looking at it I mention to a couple of other people that it HAS to be the same person as the Rembrandt.  Sure enough - "Dashan of the Deities" is also by Melissa Sobotka.  This one has received the NACQJ Award and rightfully so.  It is also collage.  So crazy cool.  Melissa says that "in Hindu tradition, a darshan is the beholding of a holy person, object or image.  The experience results in the human viewer receiving a blessing."


Super close -


Ahhh - "Dear Jane" is gracing an exhibit by Lynne Fritsche and I KNOW I've shown this one before.  Someday . . . .I know, I've said that before too.


Modern and colorful --- what is up with me?  I adore this one.  It is "Birds Flying High" by Deborah Kay of Haslet, TX.  She says, "Owned the ombre fabric.  Designed the quilt and finally found the bird fabric on the Opportunity Table at a retreat to bring it all together."


Oh, and the QUILTING!!!


The next booth lets me have a glimpse into Melissa Sobotka's mind once again.  This time with the Judges Choice Award.  Can you not see right into the soul of this emu?  Melissa shares, "While in Australia I tried to photograph an emu.  As the animal walked toward me, I said, 'Hello, Gorgeous.'  It tilted its head and posed as if to say, 'Are you talking to me.'"  The piece is entitled "Gorgeous."  Aptly named.


Close in - she is a master of this technique and her quilting brings it all to life.


Now, THIS is something I haven't seen before and the third dimension really comes out as the circles are different heights of batting.  Very fun.  It is "Touch Not The Scissors" by Rebecca Griffith of Azle, TX.  She says that "the minute I saw Rachel Daisy's 'Whizz Bang' book, I knew what I wanted to do with these Alexander Henry 'Ghastlies' fabrics I'd been collecting."


Fun, fun, fun.  My grands would adore having this.  "Noah's Ark Playmat" is by Joan Hammett of Plano, TX and I want to reach out and play so I know the kids would love to do so also.  Joan says, "I made this for a sweet family with 5 children under 7 years of age.  Planning to make a couple more for gifts."  Lucky kids.


Different is the name of the game right now and although I would never have though to make a wall hanging like this, it is truly wonderful.  "Molas" by Wilma Moss of Sulfur Springs, TX is a great way to bring a wall to life.  She pens, "Such colorful designs called for a special setting."


At every show, along with Dear Jane, I run across a Baltimore Album quilt that makes me quiver in fear and yet want to tackle it.  I have a pattern now so I'm one step closer to jumping off the ledge.  This is "Baltimore Christmas" by Concetta Boscardin of Grapevine, TX and quilted by Richard Larsen.  The card says, "P3 Design.  All fabrics were hand selected and cut by hand.  Quilt was also appliqued by hand.  Took about four years to complete."  I think I'd need more.


This little quilt is divine and my pictures do not do it justice AT ALL.  It is darling and the quilting brings it to life.   "Alphabet Miso Soup" by Bonnie Moate of Flower Mound, TX and quilted by Susan Corbett is simply wonderful.  Bonnie shares, "This pattern and fabrics shipped from Japan.  Needless to say, the instructions were in Japanese.  Thankfully, the illustrations were great!"


The first darker, pieced quilt that really catches my eye.  This is "Fan Dance" by Mary Bishop of Plano, TX.  She says, "It is good when a quilt teaches you a lesson.  This one taught me that paper piecing is not my favorite technique."  I would have to agree with her, but this looks amazing.


I am almost to the end of the show and run into "Adventure" by Adrienne Poppe of Plano, TX.  What beautiful flowers!!  She writes, "I needed a fun distraction from the mentally hard work of writing my memoir and this fun adventure collage of color and applique was the perfect medicine."  I think it would be stressful for me, but for those like Adrienne, who have the creative juice necessary, what a love distraction.


This is it!  The last picture I have and isn't it just a wonderful end?  So, so much fun going on here.  Entitled "Summer Love", I really get it.  So joyful and vibrant.  This is by Wilma Moss of Sulfur Springs, TX and she had some help from Floyd Moss as well.  She says, "We took a class from Deb Tucker and both worked on the piecing of the blocks.  I expanded the design to make it larger."  It's truly wonderful and I'm pretty positive I'm heading toward some bright colored quilts coming up.  Hope y'all enjoyed the eye candy from Plano.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these fabulous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing - these were all WOW!!! I agree with you that the Still Life should have won big. Absolutely unbelievable that it was a collage piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. I am still in awe over that piece. Incredible, doesn't even begin to describe it.

      Delete
  3. I love reading your take on things sooo much and especially when you come to the Plano show. Thank you for this trip!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I enjoy them equally as much --- so many wonderful things to drool over and covet just a wee bit.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete