Monday, October 31, 2022

October 2022 Monthly Quilt Update

 

Our theme this year is just so fun.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post and another  September LINK as well.  I'm super excited about where this will take me.  I know we all have colors that may not bring on the warm fuzzies, but this will be a chance to really challenge ourselves and we may find that our tastes can change.


If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.


 In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (hopefully), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

Onto October and the joys of black.  


Please remember that any links in here will open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads or popups EVER.

Here is your October BINGO card -

1st - The Secret Lives of Color - Kohl.  Make three 3 1/2" blocks.  Perhaps the  most interesting thing about this color is that the history goes back to at least 1400BC and has to do with eye liner.  Oh, read -- it's pretty cool and was also a health benefit back then, unlike many of the colors.


Summer Moon (SM) blocks post today as well - 


October is my most favorite month of the year and all the fun that is ahead of me this month will simply be divine.  IF I can manage to stay semi-ahead of the game at the same time - well - that would be awesome.  So, I guess I need to start out with a bang.  First up today is to cut and make the Oh Happy Day (OHD) block.  Finishing up the Illusions top happens next and I'm waiting on borders now.  Since this is a BOM and I haven't even received the months of October, November, and December, the border fabric won't be delivered for a few months now.  I guess we might as well go to Cottonwood Art Festival.




We follow that up with a stop at Guitars and Growlers for some AMAZING mac and cheese.


When we return home, mail call has my purchase from a recent destash post.  It'll be fun, but not until sometime next year.  I'd say this month is off to a fun start.


2nd - Sunday with my sweetie means Zoo in the morning and Manhattan Project for lunch.  Here is the  LINK to the fun.



I did get November Secret Lives of Color (SLC) blocks sewn though.


3rd - I am feeling a wee bit overwhelmed by the lists I have this month and the only way to feel better is to tackle them one by one.  First up today is my costume for the upcoming retreat.  I'm thinking I'll be a sandwich board.


 Pressing and trimming Nov. SLC parts and pieces while watching The Crown once again.


Then some time is spent working on the November table runner --- parts are done and my acorns are put together.


I'm on a roll so I just keep moving forward and soon have it put together and sandwiched, ready to quilt.


4th -   ALL of the SLC blocks are done and ready to go.  Woot, woot.


It's time to head to the studio and get Greyson's quilt loaded and quilted.  Check.


Trimmed and binding is on - I'll be doing the handwork while traveling this month.


Table runner is quilted and TA-DONE!!!



5th - The Secret Lives of Color - Payne's Gray.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  Why gray here?  First, it's a fairly dark shade of gray and, second, why not?  It's very beloved by artists to achieve that phenomenon known as "atmospheric perspective."  Such a great book.


I'm crazily trying to get things ready for multiple trips.  The black wool for my wall hanging has arrived and I'm able to get it cut and ready.


Long May She Wave (LMSW) has a clue drop and I'm off to cut --- 


Straight to the sewing machine - Lots and lots of geese.


6th - I am packed and heading off to Rainbow for retreat.  Here is the Recipe for Success LINK so you can share in our fun and frolic.  Seriously --- it's our last October retreat and we are doing it up right.


Keeping with the theme -- some cookie decorating happens.


Followed by my first set of Summer Moon blocks for November.


7th - Day 2 of retreat finds us having just the best time - with lots of unexpected surprises.


At one point - I actually find myself all alone in the room.  Hmmmm.


ALL Summer Moon blocks for November are now complete.


Costume seems to have worked out okay.


I've also taught a class on the shopping bag I made last month.  All finished and they turned out great.


8th - Day 3 of retreat and I'm trying to mark off a few more items.  Another OHD block has posted and I'm so looking forward to it.  Fabrics are ready to cut.


I've also cut the chenille strips on this crazy baby quilt I'm working on.  Is it a quilt?  I really don't know.  Binding is on and I'll work on it while traveling.


OHD block is done as well.


9th - It's breakdown and head home day at retreat.  I cannot possibly express how much fun I've had and how much I love these ladies that help me.  Now for laundry and repack for tomorrow's trip.


10th - The Secret Lives of Color - Obsidian.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  There is a story of a mirror in the British Museum in London that is pretty cool.  This color also has a history in the occult.  Read, my friends, read.


Happy Anniversary to us.  Our reward for 12 years is heading to the beach for 6 blissful days.  Here is the Days 1-3 LINK and it is filled with beautiful pictures of the beach, sunrises, sunsets, moonrises, and pure bliss.  I am so thankful for this time with my sweetheart and heartily recommend it to all.  Just time together is important for all couples.



11th - Another glorious day on the beach.


Spending some time reading - that's the plan down here.


Anniversary meal tonight - a day late.


12th - Day 3 of rest and relaxation.  




13th - The beach life is just fabulous.  Today we are in wandering mode and here is the LINK to our adventures.


A stop in Brazoria has us visiting So and Sew Fabric and Quilting.  Check out this LINK to all that Mister and I saw.



My treasures - perhaps book bindings for my FIS HP quilt.



14th - The Secret Lives of Color - Ink.  Make one 3 1/2" block and one 6 1/2" block.  Ink is used almost everyday by each of us.  The reason for black more than any other color is that is can be thinned easier and last longer.  The book tells the story of Ptahhotep, from 2600BC, and his desire to to write them down.  The ink was made from lampback and ya gotta read how this was done.  WOW.


We are having another beautiful day down here in Surfside - sunrise to sunset.  Here's your LINK.



15th - Our last full day on the beach and I'm determined to enjoy EVERY single minute of it.


I've realized that the google eyes followed me from October retreat to the beach.


All three books are finished and I would recommend them all for light-reading that will make you giggle out loud.


A friend on the night walk.


16th - It is another gorgeous beach morning.  The Day 7 LINK is yours to enjoy and filled with beautiful pics of our last sunrise.



We then packed up and headed north once again.  A stop in Willis, TX nets Mister a jar of homemade pickles.  The whole story is in the link above.

Some quilts were on display for auction and Mister took the time to get them all in order properly.  Gotta love that man of mine.

Our treasures from this past week.  It almost makes me want to do a neutral quilt, with minimal color.


17th - We are leaving on Friday for Montana and I need to pack as much into this week as possible.  LMSW has another clue out so I gather up those items.


OHD also has another block released so those parts are cut and ready to go.


Two BOM's have arrived.  One is the Designer Mystery (DM) and one is the Skillbuilder (SB) from The Merc in Missouri.  

Parts are cut and ready to go here, too.  Next comes laying out all the LMSW parts into a stack of blue starts ready to be sewn together.  I've done the preliminary work today - sewing will happen tomorrow.


18th - The Secret Lives of Color - Charcoal.  Make one 3 1/2" block and one 9 1/2" block.  Again, the color in the book is lighter than I would have though, but since I've never written with charred sticks, what do I know?  Crazy interesting though and the fact that these drawings have stood the test of time prove its value.


Early morning vampire run.  From that point on, I'm ready to sew and trying to run multiple items all at once on the machine.  Leader/Ender work at its finest, that's for sure.  Blue stars are done and ready for whatever comes next.  OHD and DM blocks are also complete.



The Skillbuilder blocks are building on each other.


AND - I even got all the December SLC parts sewn and ready for trimming.  Parts is parts.  Making baby steps forward on lots of different projects makes me soooo happy.


19th - Gotta keep the pace going.  Puzzler blocks 9 and 10 have posted and I want to have this done and in the mail before I leave so cut, cut, cut.


Another LMSW step posted yesterday so I'm back to those as well.  All cut and laid out.


SM occupied my sewing machine and they are now done as well.  Yes, for those paying attention, these are the December blocks.


While working on the SM blocks, I did the Puzzler blocks AND


The LMSW stars.  Working three projects at once sure has it's moments, but I love the challenge.


My Joy Filled (JF) BOM arrived so I'm getting it cut as well.


AND, because I just don't have enough irons in the fire, I'm working on a book block for a 2023 project - getting my feet wet.  This can be a hand project while traveling.


20th - With laundry going, I am trying to finish several items before calling it done for the trip.  The December SLC blocks are done AND all the posts are ready to go as well.  


JF blocks are done.  It's another multiple project day.  One unit after another.


All these little pinwheels are leftovers from Illusions and will be used in the label.  They have served as leader/enders the past few days.  Each one is 2 1/2" sq.


AND - for my final trick today - the book block is done and titles printed.


I am one happy girl as all I have left for December is to make the BINGO card and the table runner.  I can do those while traveling, I hope.

21st -  We are leaving this afternoon so my day is spent with paperwork, packing, blogging, pictures from beach trip, etc.  So much time on the computer, but I think I have a ton under control.  I hope that turns out to be a true statement.  We hit the road around 4 in the afternoon and the plan is 20 hours straight through.  We'll see how it goes.


22nd - The Secret Lives of Color - Jet.  Make one 3 1/2" block and one 9 1/2" block.  What do you think of with the word jet?  If, like me, a plane comes to mind, you are with the majority.  However, did you know that jet is a black organic rock that forms when pieces of woody material are buried in sediment and are coalified.  Though very similar to coal, it is less friable.  Jet can be cut, carved, and polished to a bright luster.  People have used jet for thousands of years to produce gemstones, beads, and many other objects.


Mister gives up as the sun is starting to rise and I take the wheel.  It's 6 a.m. and we are about 5 hours away.


Arriving right on schedule, a burst of activity takes place.  You can follow along in this Time With Matt LINK.  First stop is at the new restaurant to see it all up close and personal.


Then home for some garden emptying.


23rd - Early morning binding on the baby project happens and then processing the produce from the garden takes place.  The rest of our day is happily spent with family.


24th - Once again, I start the morning stitching away and finish the binding on my project.  All that is left is to wash it and cross my fingers for the ragging to work.  


Two more daughters arrived last night and it's Friends and Family night at Carverss., but first brunch happens.


Followed by pedicures.


And the highlight is family together for this big event.  Wouldn't have missed it for anything.


25th - Early in the morning, I finished the binding on Greyson's quilt.  It is now a TA-DONE!!


We make a house switch so some pictures are necessary.


So, so crazy proud of this guy.  My heart simply could not hold more love for him.


Meeting our new granddaughter, Isla.  We are in heaven.  Here is the LINK to all that happens while at Rhiana's house.


Closer time with Mariel as well - we haven't seen her in a year and a half.  Goodness.  The house switch goes off and time with four granddaughters is amazing.


26th - The Secret Lives of Color - Melanin.  Make one 3 1/2" block and one 6 1/2" block.  Ahhh, melanin.  That stuff that I don't have a lot of in my skin.  Right?  The animal kingdom (of which we are members) possess a pigment, melanin, that allows for a true black.  Ya gotta read the book for more.


The grocery store is my destination today as I'm going to make dinner for the family so that they can relax a bit when getting home from school and work. While out, I stop in at the restaurant to grab some pics of the menu and take a few more pics as well.  


Back to the house to be with kiddos for the evening.  Gammy has the golden touch - put her right out.


Miss Elena and I having fun.


One title is on the book block.  Yes, I do have quiet time during the day.


27th - Once the house empties out - I focus on my book block and all the titles are done.  I pretty much love this.


Next, I am off hunting for Halloween costumes for Malea and Elena today.  Costumes are procured - Jesus for Elena and a darling devil for Malea.  I get a pic of the devil costume hanging up but get distracted in Elena's room when I discover one of my quilts on her bed.  That just makes my heart so very happy.  I DO get a pic of Elena dressed in her costume, though.



AND - Zyra and I make it over to the Ribbon Cutting ceremony for the restaurant.  Woot woot.


28th - I have time with littles today and am enjoying it so very much.  Mama is out shopping and we get to play for a bit.



Then, I'm off to lunch with a dear friend.  Moments like this make the world better.


We are hitting the road again tomorrow so a pic with the older girls happens as well.


29th - The Secret Lives of Color - Pitch.  Make two 3 1/2" blocks.  Pitch black -- we all know the phrase.  For many, it is a fearful thing as we are not really designed to cope with it.  Our species have a blunted sense of smell and hearing, our bodies are soft and we cannot outpace predators.  Without our sight, we are vulnerable and thus afraid.  Read on and see how this even leaves its mark on our language.


Saying good-bye is never easy, but has to happen.  We are crossing Montana today to be with my mother for her birthday and, thus, farewells take place.  First, my daughter - 


then my daughter-in-love.


That's it - Billings is a wrap and we are driving once again.  Here is the Onto Mom's LINK for you to enjoy all that we do for the rest of the month.  From plains


to mountains covered in snow.  It's an interesting drive.


30th - It's my Momma's birthday so visitors are stopping by and I am able to gift Greyson's quilt.



Dinner at the lake - it's rather blue out.


The fam - love our time together.


Happy Birthday Momma.


31st - Happy Halloween to all!!  I am starting the Sewcialites project early this morning while the house is quiet and I have lots of tiny pieces cut.  

I've also washed the baby quilt a couple of times and made all the repairs I need to.  Ugh.  It turned out that I missed several lines of cutting through ALL the layers.  Think 20 plus.  What was I thinking?  I also had one little cut that needed to be fixed.  However, that is all done now and it's ready to gift.  TA-DONE!


Orange minkee on the back.


Close up of the chenille effect - it's starting to happen.


That brings us to November and BROWN!!!  Let's Color Your World with the many shades of this deep and mysterious color and enjoy the many moods it can take on..  The original post on this theme can be found here and all the wonderful information for month number 11 can be found in this LINK.  That is where the new BINGO card is as well.


Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative Y'all.

UFO's to quilt:   

BOM #1 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #2 - quilt and bind - 
BOM #3 - quilt and bind - 
Winter Wonderland - quilt and bind -
Witch's Night Out - quilt and bind - 
Quarantine Challenge - quilt and bind - 
Dawn's Early Light - quilt and bind - 
Xing - quilt and bind - 
Straits of Mackinac - quilt and bind
Ruby Slippers (a.k.a Emerald City) - quilt and bind
Pfeffernusse - quilt and bind 

Current Projects:

Summer Moon Blocks - November and December done
Farm Girl - backing/binding made - 
Sandcastles - 
Rhododendron Trail - 
Illusions BOM - Waiting on borders
Ruby Jubilee -  Ready to set - new issue arrived but I'm traveling
Brown Table Runner - Done
Secret Lives of Color - November and December done
Round Robin (mine) - 
Long May She Wave - A little behind but will catch up in early November
Baby Boll quilt - Done
Greyson's Quilt - Done
Oh Happy Day - A little behind will catch up in early November
Designer Mystery - current
Skillbuilder - current
Puzzler Blocks - 9 and 10 done and sent

UFO Items to work on:
 
Neutral strings - 
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
Whims 2nd quilt - 

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stocking - delivered to Montana - will work on when up there in future

Links to Previous 2022 Monthly Posts - 

July 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment