Monday, November 30, 2020

November 2020 Quilt Update

November is here! Where did October go? This month allow yourself to experience ROAR WARS. Go beyond what you think you can do. No limitations. Get out of your comfort zone - in whatever manner that takes. You've got this!

This month gets us a little closer to the end of our theme for the year and I'm kinda ready for it. At any rate, if you are new to this blog --- here is how it all started.  The 20's are Roaring Again and are you joining in with our own group ROAR?  I posted all the details in a separate post and here is the Theme LINK to get the details if you want to join in.


Also, if you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.

In years past, I have set goals for each month and am continuing to do that simply to keep myself on track.  I AM still in UFO mode around here and trying oh so hard to use or clean out the stash.  It will be an ongoing project this year.  If I want something to come in -- something has to go out.  That is one goal.  The balances change each month (hopefully) and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.)

So ---- here's November and all the wonderful fun it provided.  Please remember that any links in here will  open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads or popups EVER


1st - Hello November!!  Mister and I are out and about this morning and start the day with time at the lake. We found PELICANS!!!  Please take a moment to peek at this 
Lake LINK and see how wonderful out time was.

A few errands follow and I am able to pick up the paint chips for Bonnie Hunter's new mystery.  Once home, a few minutes in the studio and I have pulled fabrics for it.  Now to wait for Black Friday.  If you are interested in playing along, here is the Grassy Creek Introduction LINK.

One of the other errands this morning was to pick up the greenware for two more tea sets.  Yep, I'm heading back to those projects once again, but I'm not on a tight deadline just yet.  I have them --- that's the first step.

Some more yarn for my afghan that I am doing for a new granddaughter is purchased and it's back home to work on some finishes.  TA-Done for the Quiet Book I've been working on all year.  To see how this all came about and find the link to the video, please click on this Quiet Book LINK.

We have ended our day with dinner at Keller's.  I've driven past this for the past 12 years and never stopped.  Today is the day.  Look at the car parked right in front of us.


And the one right next to us ---- OH MY --- I had to get out of my car and go ask to take a picture of their dashboard.


One giant menu for the whole place.


The sun is headed down --- lights are not on in the sign yet, but it was a great experience.


Snuggling in on the sofa --- more crocheting finishes out the day. Happy girl, I am. It was a great start to a new month.

2nd - During our trip to Lowe's yesterday, I picked up this fall decoration and in the beautiful morning light --- it is simply lovely.  I have a long list for today and must keep my nose to the grindstone.  First up, batting scraps to cut into 2 1/2" strips and then sewn end to end for another jelly roll rug.  Whew --- I'm ready to make a rope from the strips I sewed together last month.Sewed and stuffed Noah's Ark, made batting for rug, made rope, worked on afghan


Before I know it, my rope is complete and ready for the next step. But wait, I have the Noah's Ark panel to work on. Sewing and stuffing commences and I am a long ways towards completing it too. handwork remains and that won't take me very long to finish.


More evening hooking. Oh you --- crocheting is what I'm doing. This is growing.

3rd - Election Day is today and I'm avoiding all news - no matter what happens, people will be upset.  I want to just stay in my bubble and be happy.  Out back seems right.  The studio is cleaned and machines switched out, 

a quilt re-loaded,  

and the rug finished!!! TA-Done

Back into the house and both rugs are together and ready for shipping.

That leaves me two projects that are oh so close.  Firs to finish is the Noah's Ark Pillow set.  It is TA-Done as well.

Evening hooking and my afghan is also TA-Done.  Oh my ---- the pressure is starting to lift.  A wee bit anyway.  This is by far the softest afghan I have ever made.  Mister really loved sitting close to me while I worked on it.

4th - Two goals for today.  I need to get the backing for my 2020 Sucks Exchange blocks, make a video of the quiet book, pack up all that is going to my daughter's house (rugs, quiet book, noah's ark), and go to the post office.  That sounds like a lot so I'd better get going. Once all of that is accomplished, one last moment at the sewing machine and some tricot pieces are sewn together for another quilt top and back.  It's been another productive day, but one more project looms and one more deadline.  I can do it.

5th - Blogging all morning and then I have phone calls to make and hands to keep busy while talking.  I spend my conversations crawling around on the floor marking the tricot quilt.


6th -  Hmmm, now just where did I put those frame boards last?  Aha, I know.  They are retrieved and before I know it, I have a quilt on the frame and ready to go. (Yes, I went back and tighten up some spots.)



Sunset through decor and the end of another busy day.

7th - I REALLY need to focus on this quilt.  The days are flying by and this baby will be born on the 17th.  It would be nice to get this up there before arrival.  A good start is had and then --


I am rescued from cooking dinner. Woohoo.

8th -  It's Sunday and I didn't spend much time with my sweetie yesterday, so today is all his.  It's not quite as early as last week, but a return trip to the lake is on the agenda.  As we leave the house, Mister grabs a package that arrived last evening.  It is a stand/cord set up for my phone in the car.  We learned some things from vacation last month and this is one improvement we are making.

Now, on to the lake.  Please join us for the beauty of the fall colors and the waterfowl by clicking on this LINK.  My heart just soaks up these colors.


Something has to be accomplished today --- thus the grasses we bought last month are going in the ground. Good placement?


It's done.

Now, even though it is still the weekend, I really have to work on the quilt a bit.  I make decent progress before calling it enough for today.

9th - More quilting.  It is what I am focused on right now.

10th - I am back at it all day.  My fingers are sore and my back is sharing its unhappiness, but there is now an end in sight.  The calendar is clicking along too ---- goodness. 


11th -   In the wee hours, I just couldn't sleep.  There is just so much negativity on Facebook right now and I've been researching another social media site.  I opened a new personal page on MeWe and also a sister group for Our Quilt World.  Options are always good.  Hopefully, more people can share in our group fun.  Here is the LINK to the sister group if you wish to join in.

Now, Determination is my name for today.  Settling in, I don't rise out of my chair until this sweet top comes off the frame.


I usually self-bind these tricot quilts, but this time I'm trying a regular cotton binding.  It's soon made and ready to apply.


A couple hours of hand stitching once the binding has been attached via machine and I have a TA-Done once again.  Whew --- NOW the pressure is off.  The last package of ceramic bears, afghan, and tricot quilt are boxed and in the mail.  She should receive ONE day before delivery.  That's cutting it close.


12th - With deadlines behind me, I am able to work on my Row by Row for this month.  Pieces are ironed onto fabric and then all except the wings are cut out.


13th - I told Mister I would make him scones this morning, just as soon as my wings were cut out.  The next thing I know, he is preheating the oven and starting to find ingredients.  I think he really wants the scones.  Apparently, I need to bake a little more often.  It brings him such joy and it's just not that hard to do.  The oven is always tricky, but it still seems to be working from the "fix" he did.  My fingers are crossed that it stays that way as we are moving into the holidays when baking becomes such a major part of our traditions.

The scones are made and enjoyed.  The pieces for my Row by Row are then ironed onto the backing.  This one is ready for applique.

While I'm at it, the decision has been made not to take the Elna to retreat this month.  That means I won't have a zig-zag stitch available for applique on the retreat project wall hanging.  So - - - I cut out and press those pieces onto the backing while I have the ironing board out.  It is ready for applique as well.


My 2020 Sucks Exchange blocks are here!!!! So much fun and so many ideas as to what to do with them.

14th - All the pieces on the wall hanging are stitched down except the pumpkin.  I am out of orange thread.  Drat.


My sweetie suggests a treat, which I happily agree to and we are off to On Rotation for the last time. They are moving over near Love Field and that's just not in our normal range so it might not happen again.


As we return home, nature provides a beautiful palette for the eyes.


15th -   We have chores to do today, but first, a walk at the lake.  Here is the LINK from our morning visit.  A stop for thread ensues and then it's back home once again.


Those chores ---- well does this help? I'm beat by the time we finish.


16th - Cutting, cutting, cutting today. Picking fabrics and deciding on future wall hangings. I've pretty much decided to make the "skinnies" for each month. Since I brought red/white in for the Christmas one, I can choose some fabrics for the February one as well. I've also decided to pull out the fabrics for our Quilt-A-Long that starts in January. I need to get this in my mind and perhaps cut the first month's blocks so that I am ready for the first post. Most of my day is spent cutting little pieces. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy this type of day now and then --- but it does make a mess.

Dinner is Butternut Squash Burrito Boats. So very good.

17th -  I've been on pins and needles all morning awaiting news from Montana.  By 10, I'm breathing a little easier and my new granddaughter has arrived.  At 6 lbs. 7 oz. and 19.5 inches long, she is ready for the world and both her and my daughter are doing well.  Welcome to the world Mariel.  I will show her pic when she goes home.  

To keep my mind occupied while waiting for updates up north, I finish up the orange pumpkin applique and then make some frankenbatting so that I can keep moving forward on these projects.


A trip to Costco for Thanksgiving stuff and enough to keep us happy should another lockdown occur. I found the most beautiful poinsettia while there and it just called out to come home with me. Packing for retreat, finishing up the ironing of parts onto a backing, and cleaning up of my messes takes up the rest of the day.


18th - The last retreat of 2020 is here.  Our anniversary retreat is this weekend and our theme is Lights of Broadway.  I'm super excited to see everyone and yet a bit melancholy as my daughter is still in the hospital and we are mourning our quilting friend, Jennifer Marshall.  If you wish to peek in on what took place, here is the Retreat LINK.  


19th - Today, I have managed to quilt my wall hanging.


and cut the sashings and cornerstones for my 2020 Exchange Block quilt.


My granddaughter's first birthday was today and she received her Quiet Book --- so, so cute.



And then her sisters promptly took their turns as well.

20th - Time at the river and my November Skinnie TA-Done filled up my day.


The absolute BEST part of the day. Mommy and baby were able to go home. Zero complications and my heart is resting so much more. Panic has left the building. Remember that picture I promised? Here ya go.

21st - They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  Okaaaay -- here ya go.


Or maybe this one -


Definitely this one.


22nd - Time has flown by.  It's pack up day and I'm a bit sad.  That means back to reality and I'd rather sit on the river and let life pass by a little longer.   The hardest part is knowing that it's a couple of months before we can return and that's assuming the world doesn't implode even more by then.  At any rate, we had this time together and I will treasure it always.  From the three of us --- Brazos Out!!


23rd - I just don't have a ton of energy today, but I manage to draw several months worth of "skinnie" parts onto fusible web.  I could do that sitting in one spot.  Yep, I'm a real go-getter today.


Oh, well I did do a bit more. Three gallons of Chex Mix as my son-in-law made a personal request for it and we are going to visit this week. Request honored. My sweetie had cleaned the oven while I was at retreat and it's now working wonky again. This is not the time of year to have oven issues. However, with the help of a fan in the kitchen, the task was completed.

24th - Before I went to retreat last week, I had shopped at Costco and found this amazing chocolate.  Several wanted some so a return trip was made today.  I am now ready to fill orders.

Sunday night, as we were watching a show, Mister leaned over and said, "I bought a television."  Then he added, "I might have bought two."  First, imagine my shock as we have never had a television in the house.  So, questions came from me.  The story then unfolded.  He had been watching a specific television through Costco and they had a sale starting at midnight so he set his alarm, got up and went to order the unit.  It didn't show the sale price though.  He just figured they would adjust it.  Two hours later, he checked again (yes, my hubby is up at 2 a.m.) and discovered that the new price was posted and so he purchased it again.  Then cancelled the first one and promptly received an email stating that it might not be possible to stop the shipment.  Seriously??  Two hours???  At any rate, we did not receive one on Monday, but today delivery has happened.  We are only receiving ONE very large television.


25th -  It's one of those fund days.  Laundry, organizing, balancing accounts, packing, etc.  The company released everyone two hours early and we hit the road.  Abilene - here we come.  To share in all the fun, here is your Thanksgiving LINK.


This nativity brings back memories.  I made it in 2004 as a gift for her.


26th - Happy Thanksgiving to all.  Our day is spent with games, food, and family.  What could be better?



I would not change a thing.  We had such a good time.  After clean up is complete, a few more minutes to visit and we are on the road back to Dallas.  Loved our time together.


27th - It is a vacation day for Mister and so some sleeping in occurs.  Bonnie's new mystery, Grassy Creek begins and I save the clue.  This is the first year I won't be working on it this first week.  I'll catch up next week.  The rest of the day consisted of having the wall mount for the television arrive and gathering all fall decor to put away.   Traditions need to be kept so Black Friday done right is also on the agenda.  A quick trip to Guitars and Growlers fits the bill and takes care of lunch/dinner too.  That's about it --- all in all, a pretty easy day with little forward movement.
28th -  Mister went out to work on the yard so I kickstarted myself into gear.  I put all the fall decor away and in doing so, brought some of the Christmas tubs down at the same time.  Then I moved onto beginning the linen switch and the Master bedroom is now wearing my Ohio Star quilt that was finished this year.


I then went out to the studio and worked on all of those applique parts that were cut out earlier.  Each one found a piece of fabric to use and was ironed on.  Unfortunately, I have no proof as the camera didn't go along with me.  While doing this, Mister is working on getting the mount up for the television.

29th - Today is our Thanksgiving Day.  Yes, we planned this as when we go somewhere else, the leftovers are not a part of it.  We LOVE the leftovers and so are cooking another meal just for us so that we won't have to cook again this week and will be able to savor the wonder of a Thanksgiving dinner all week long.  It's perfect.  Unfortunately, the universe has different plans for us today.  I have just made  breakfast and the pie is in the oven when the oven decides to do it's fit.  Today, there is no fix.  It goes up to temp and then errors out.  Oh goodness.  I'm so unhappy and not letting much thankfulness enter in.  I'm actually surprised I wasn't booted out on my ear into the street.  What a crab.  At any rate, Mister to the rescue.  The turkey goes out onto the grill and I research how to make dressing in the microwave.  Rolls are forgotten and the meal comes together.  The pie is just left in the oven, turning it on over and over throughout the day.  Mister purchases a new stove/oven that will arrive on Wednesday and then we just enjoy the meal.  Everything tastes delicious and we are amazed at how well the grill worked with the turkey.  As for the pie, well it baked off and on for 7 hours, but is delicious.  Who knew?


After our meal, Mister tackles mounting the television.  It's up.


and working.  We have our own theater - at least it feels that way.


30th - Mister has one last vacation day so we are off to the zoo bright and early.  The problem is that it is really chilly out and most of the animals are still in their indoors habitat so it mostly turns into a walk for us.  That's okay too.  We did, however, see some very active penguins.


 

Once back home, we kicked it into high gear and Mister washed all the windows outside and then put up the outdoor lights.  In the meantime,  I emptied tub and tub in the house and cleaned each area as I went, including inside windows in some cases.  I'm a long way from being done, but it's a sure start.

After hours of working, we're done. It's 4 in the afternoon, leftovers for an early dinner and settling in to watch a new movie on our big screen. Fisherman's Friends is the choice and if you haven't seen it, please do. I want the CD. Remembering how chilly it was this morning, we check the weather and then make the necessary steps to protect all of the plants in front and back. Fun times.

I haven't accomplished as much quilting as I wanted to this month, but I've let go of beating myself up over it. Sometimes, ya just gotta do that.

December begins tomorrow. Take a good look at the box.  WE ROAR!!  This has been quite the year.  We have made it to the last month and although our Roaring 20's beginning was not quite what we had hoped for, it has had some definite good come from it.  Take some time to help your spirit this month.  Count your blessings.  Allow your own heart to ROAR with joy.  You've earned it.  I know I have.  We are only a month away from a brand new theme and year.  It'll happen --- and we'll share another journey together.

And with that, another month is behind me.  They really need to slow down a bit.  I'm thankful for all who follow me and promise more quilting next month.  Honest.  We have absolutely no plans to go anywhere for the entire month.  Plans can change, but right now I see lots of sewing time in my future.

UFO's to quilt:

BOM #1 - quilted and bound - 
BOM #2 - quilted and bound
BOM #3 - quilted and bound
Winter Wonderland - quilted and bound

Current Projects:

Witches Night Out - quilted and bound
Quiet Book - Done and sent
Quarantine Challenge -  Quilted and bound
Tricot quilt (by 10th to mail) - Done and sent
Thanksgiving Wall Hanging (retreat project) - Done
Jelly Roll Rug (by 3rd to mail) - Done and sent
Noah's Ark set (by 3rd to mail) - Done and sent
Afghan (by10th to mail) - Done and sent

UFO Items for This Month:

FOUR Whims blocks (QAYG) (didn't get last months finished) - 
Some Neutral strings -
1 Row by Row block - Ready for applique stitching
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
Stash Buster project (yep, it is moved here now) -

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- roll the quilt once - 

Links to Previous 2020 Monthly Posts:

January 2020
February 2020
March 2020
April 2020
May 2020
June 2020
July 2020
August 2020

2 comments:

  1. Your monthly posts wear me out. You do get so much done. Which lake do yall go to? My son an his family live between Denton and McKinney in Prosper. We hail from Corsicana, originally. Have lived in Irving, Mesquite and Greenville. I enjoy reading about the Dallas area. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about wearing you out --- it does me too sometimes. We go to White Rock Lake. It's wonderful and only a short distance from our home.

      Delete