Thursday, April 30, 2020

April 2020 Quilt Update

The 20's are Roaring Again and are you joining in with our own group ROAR?  I posted all the details in a separate post and here is the Theme LINK to get the details if you want to join in.


If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.

In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  I AM still in UFO mode around here and trying oh so hard to use or clean out the stash.  It will be an ongoing project this year.  If I want something to come in -- something has to go out.  That is one goal.  The balances change each month (hopefully) and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.)



So ---- here's  April and all the wonderful fun it provided.  Please remember that any links in here will  open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads of popups EVER

1st - April has arrived!!!  I've been racking my brain trying to figure out a way to incorporate our theme of the Roaring 20's into play.  Well -- how's this?  Let's just not let this whole mess take us into a quagmire of despair.  Let's ROAR into action.  I've seen many helping with face masks and others I know are helping with food.  MAKE a phone call to lift another's spirit!  Make something that makes your heart sing!  We can do this.  Together.  Help one another with UPLIFTING thoughts and ideas.  Please try to refrain from putting our roar to a negative use.  Let's not find fault with others, no matter what.  We're in this together.  I may even go outside an ROAR into the sky occasionally.  It will help keep my love safe.  Please, please, please -- find the love and share it.  That is what we all need right now --- until next month -- stay safe everyone and share your ROAR into action.

As for me, I'ma gonna sew today.  I have plans!  First off, our new Quilt-A-Long begins today and that means cutting.  This particular event will happen three times a week and hopefully we will have a finished quilt by the end of the month.  It's a good goal ---- are you playing too?  All my bits are cut already since this particular pattern of Idaho Square Dance was a class I took last April.  It has sat untouched for a whole year and this is a great way for me to get it out of the UFO status.    Since I am so anal about cutting a project completely before starting, all my "blue" strips are cut.  (The pattern calls for blue, I'm using purple.)

That means I can move onto another project.  I have finally completed my Frolic top.  You can read all about the final steps in this  Clue 9 LINK.


Now for a back.  I pull out all of my leftover Texas Wildflower fabric and a Row x Row along with a few small panels and set to creating.  Yep, I'm still in the living room, but have promised to reduce the mess soon.


TA-DA --- backing is ready to go and I'm one step closer to quilting.


I have several small projects sitting here awaiting their turn and decide to focus on something a bit smaller after a couple of days setting tops and making backs.  The next month's pumpkins for Witch's Night Out are ready for some stitching.  I managed to draw double lines last night in preparation for this.  Can I tell you how much I truly dislike drawing lines?  I'm sure I have before and it holds true once again.  If I hadn't cut my whole quilt ahead of time (without reading the pattern -- I know), I would certainly have cut these HST's a whole different way.  What's done is done though and they are now sewn.

Wanting to stay ahead in the Idaho Square Dance event, I set my mind to getting another step completed.  That means lots of lovely little purple and white squares going into a log cabin block.



 At least they are easy and this step only requires a few rounds, but I still have one set of logs to go tomorrow before this step is finished.


The WNO units are back in the den and await cutting in half this evening.  It's always good to have a hand project while hanging with the hubby.  And that's the end of my day.  It's been a good start to the month.

2nd -  Wanting to stay ahead of the curve a bit with ISD, I start adding more rounds.  I do Love how these blocks are turning out.  With the final round for the step completed, I gather all the materials for the next step.  Purple and white everywhere!!


Then it's onto finishing up from yesterday.  The label and binding for Frolic are done and this one is in the "ready to quilt" stack.  It will happen this month.  I promise.


It's almost noon and I only gave myself that much time for sewing today.  A quick press of the pumpkin HST's and I have a layout.  That's it for now.

Instead, I am moving into the kitchen for the rest of the day.  Promises have been made to my sweetheart and promises must be kept.  First up is a breakfast treat he loves and here is the link to the English Muffin Bread Recipe.

I follow that up with some Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, Panna Cotta w/caramel syrup and a first time effort to make naan bread.  It's crazy fun and if you are interested, here is the Naan Bread Recipe I used.  Yep, that's a link.  Doesn't it look yummy?  It's a great day in the kitchen, but I'm beat.




3rd - Step 2 of our ISD quilt-a-long is today and that means cutting of the neutrals.  Once again, I'm ahead and able to just post the picture and move on.  There is some comfort in that and trying to stay ahead of the posts is good for me -- keeps me on track and structured.

I'm sewing pumpkins and ISD blocks as two long leader/ender chains this morning.  The pumpkins are being webbed and the blocks are coming together.

These are dang cute.


I LOVE the purple choice.


I have enough time left today to perhaps pull out one more finish (and a check mark) if I get on it.  At retreat last month, I cut two row x row blocks and they are ready to layout and sew.  By 4 p.m. I have them finished and am ready to clean up the living room as promised.  Three tables come down, the machine goes into the office for cleaning, little ironing station is removed, the room is dusted and swept.  THEN -- I re-set the room for some quilting projects that need to happen.  It's less intrusive and Mister is okay with it.  After all, this is the whole mess now -- chairs and sofas are cleared off and he can get to the stereo again.  Life is good.  A quick sandwich for my Whimm's blocks for this month and my next big plan is to ......


FINISH THE PUZZLE!!!!  Woohoo.  I did it.


4th - It is Saturday and I REALLY need to get out of the house for a bit.  I know I can't be around any other humans, but flowers would be okay, right?  We are off to Ennis for some beauty in our soul and you can follow along in this  Bluebonnets!!! post.   Here is a small sample:




Since we left early and a storm is coming, we are back home by 1.  It appears that masks are now approved by the CDC as a method of fighting off this virus so I've hit up the fat quarter stacks and brought in enough to cut two masks for each person in my family.  Yep, that's a bunch.  I'm cutting adult and child sizes and have a nice stack of each when done.


5th - With WNO off the larger design board, I am staring at the stack of leftover parts from Frolic.  Do you remember them?  Here's a pic to remind you.


These are just eating at me and I can't have this waste.  Settling in on the sofa, I soon have little pieces everywhere as I try and combine them into new blocks.  The picture at the right is from my quilt and I'm trying to see if that will be the right size for a couple of shams.  Can I get enough blocks out to do that?  It turns out that I'm sooooo close.  I've found the fabrics I used and in most cases I just need one HST or flying goose to make it happen.  Oh, and a few more four patches, but those are easy and I found the strips.  I'm set.


I've gone on a supply hunt in the studio.  Supplies for masks.  That means elastic, pipe cleaners, shoe laces, anything I can use.  Pieces are folded in half right sides together.


I've placed pins where my seams need to go so that I can quickly add them.  This pattern leaves an opening in the center for turning and later inserting a filter.


Since the masks could be picked up and moved to the sewing table, I have open space on my cutting mat and want to start in on the Stash Buster Challenge strips that were also sewn at retreat.  Once cut, they need to be matched up with the square and set in stacks of blocks.  I can do this.  I don't have enough strip sets yet as I still have squares to match up so will be sewing more of those as leader/enders.  Progress is good though.

It's been 2 weeks since our "stay-at-home" order was put into effect.  Is that all?  Oh my goodness, I thought for sure I had been inside for a month or more.  With only two grocery days since the 15th of March, we are definitely working on our 4th week.  We still have at least 3 1/2 to go and who knows after that.

6th - Major mask production today.  There was a bit of a learning curve, but a system is in place and I can crank one out pretty quick now.  These have a nose piece and a pocket for a filter.  Some have elastic that goes behind the ear, others have tied from shoe laces.  One round done.

I want to do something else, even if it's just a wee bit today.  Unity's second step posted this morning and I have enough time today to hunt down the required pieces.  I am so thankful for organized scraps.  All that time and effort pays off now and then.


7th - My room looks like a crazy person inhabits it.  I have all the projects I am currently trying to make progress on sitting around.  There are masks, Unity, Frolic sham parts, ISD parts, Stash Buster challenge strips, BAD blocks and who knows what else.  Each bit gets worked on as often as I can sneak them in.

I'm leaving the house this morning, with mask on.  A walk to the post office and the first batch of masks are on their way north.  Out the back door, I spot a new rose making an appearance.  Somehow this makes me think the world is not so bad after all.

Once back, I want to make a little progress on the Unity step before turning back to masks again.  I was able to pick up some more shoe laces while at the post office (there is a Dollar Tree next door) AND my pipe cleaner order is delivered so I'm ready to rock and roll again.

The geese are made as are the HST's.  I even have the corners of my square in a squares ready to go.


I'm starting on the strips for ISD and the four-patches as leader/enders today.


But then, back to masks and this is today's batch.  Whew.  I LOVE using the shoe laces so  much more than the elastic.  Everything just goes together with less hassle.

8th - Another morning walk to the post office, complete with mask in place.  It is about a mile round trip and today I do not make any additional stops as Mister is getting really panicky about me being safe.  I can help calm his nerves by being even more careful than we have been.  Into the post office, package turned over, and out again.  Total human interaction about 2 minutes.

In the back yard, the rose has opened.  So pretty.

I am stripping on ISD for the rest of the morning.  Twosies and Threesies are being cut for future steps.

I have all the little four-patch units ready to go but want to take a bit of time to get the Unity step completed today too.


Success is my glory today and you can follow along with all of the steps and miss-steps in this Unity Part 2 LINK/


Now, back to those 4-patches and some Stash Buster strips sets in between too.

Even the threesies are all cut and ready to assemble tomorrow.  It's been a good day and I've managed to mark quite a few things off the list.  That makes my heart happy but I am totally beat tonight.



A quick look outside for the moon, but it's too overcast and I'm calling it a night.


9th -  The Texas Quilter's Group on Facebook has a new Quilt-A-Long starting today and I'm thinking . . . . . Do I REALLY need another project.  Maybe I should take the word "need" out of the equation.  Thinking . . . .   I'll decide by tomorrow.  For today, I'm moving forward on the ISD Quilt-A-Long.  On tap today:  the side units.  I've got this.  First - find the parts.  Check.


Sew them together.  Check.


Now I have all the necessary ingredients to put the block together, but first, they need to be laid out so that one big webbing can take place.

The beginning happens, but then Mister is wanting time together so I put an end to activity tonight.  It's movie time.  Oh --- this is the state of my dining room table.  I have completed ALL of the strip sets for the Stash Buster project and just need to finish cutting the twosie pairs.  Tomorrow, tomorrow, there's always tomorrow.


10th - It's Friday and why that matters is because another step in IDS posts.  More cutting for this week (yes, it's an old picture as I've already sewn the strips up).  I've also finished setting up the blocks for webbing and am off to my machine.  TA-DA.


I did make a promise to my sweetie that I would clean up the mess on the dining room table today.  Cut, cut, cut and another three stacks of kitted blocks are ready to go.  My tote is full and I'm ready to sew like a wild woman on these.

As for the dining room table?  Well, it's puzzle time again.


Mister is watching a show this evening that I just am not interested in so I sneak away to make up a few of the little Frolic four-patches that I can use in my pillow shams.  Progress here and there always helps.  And that's the end of another work week for my love.


11.  Saturday Morning and we are outta the house bright and early.  Here's your LINK to follow along as we discover just how much grass can grow in one week.


Once back home from another totally human interaction free trip, I am craving Gingersnaps.  Therefore, they  must be made.  That's it --- not much else today.


12.  This year I am truly appreciating the message of Easter.  We have so many issues right now and the world is kind of crazy, but hope is always on the horizon for a better day.  I do have faith that all of this is in the hands of one who is mightier than any of us and I have to ask:  What is the lesson here?  Cos ya know, there always is one.  At any rate -- no family around but I'm still going to make a nice dinner and spend some time with one I love.   AND . . . phone calls.  I have had wonderful calls from my kidlets today.  My heart is happy.

I do locate all the pieces for the border on the puzzle.  Finding those in a box of 3000 takes a bit of time.  It also takes up my entire dining room table.  I remember this one now.  I'll be at it for awhile.


It also takes up pans and boxes.  Sorting, sorting, sorting and I've barely touched the box on the main table.

Once the border is on, I can play with a few that I pulled out along the way.  You know the ones, the bright colors.  Yep, cherry picking here.

I need to play with pieces of a different kind for a bit.  Since it is Sunday, another step in IDS has posted but today I want to work on the little triangles that will go in the setting triangles.  Ha ha, follow that if you can.


It doesn't take too long and by the time I finish, I have also put together one setting triangle AND the first Frolic block for my pillow shams.  Baby steps at every turn.  It's what I live for.

13.  Another Madness Monday in our manic world.  We have hit one month since I returned from retreat to a life of seclusion.

Thankfully, it is also a clue release with Bonnie and here is the Unity Week 3 link for you to follow me along.  I am super-focused on it today and still take all morning to cut.  Well, that's not totally fair as I'm also doing laundry and made Cranberry Scones (yep that's a link for ya) for breakfast.  I had a slight oops and forgot to add the cranberries while mixing so dotted some on top.  It is NOT the same, by the way.


I have fingers crossed that it's the only mistake for today, but no.  Somehow, my finger ran into my rotary cutter.  Honest.  I have no idea what happened by it wasn't the rotary cutter or the hand holding it that was at fault.  My other hand just went on a journey by itself.  Bizarre.

Might as well bake some more ---- brownies too.  Oh so chocolaty good.


Back to sewing and progress on Unity is made.  I'm ready to make stars tomorrow as all the flying geese are sewn and matched into kitted blocks AND they are webbed and ready.  Woohoo.  I do believe I've earned a brownie.

14. This morning it is a direct line from bed to the sewing machine.  Do not pass go, do not get food or drink --- just get 'er done.  I have also stacked up the setting and corner triangles for IDS and the plan is to just web, web, web.


It takes me until noon, BUT I have the triangles and little stars made.  Now for some food.


AND, my Unity blocks.


After lunch, borders are made and attached to Unity.  This week's step is finished and I do love the peaceful feeling it gives.  Or is that pieceful feeling?  Either way works for me.

A few BAD blocks were sewn as leader/enders while attaching the borders.  Yes, I am finding such joy is small things right now.

And that's it for today.  I could do more, but don't really want to.  I'm off to pay bills and that's always just a barrel of laughs.  Then dinner and time with Mister.  Tuesday is in the books.

15.  Idaho Square Dance is moving forward today in the quilt-a-long.  They are up to the side units and I'm barely staying ahead of the game.  What shall I do today?  It appears that I may have decided to pass on the Texas Quilter's group event, but I'm still not a week behind.  My brain is really struggling with adding one more thing to the bed in my room.

We are halfway through the month today and while it is tax day where the country usually pays into the IRS, they sent us all money.  Yep, it's in the account.  Such a strange world we are living in, but it is a beautiful morning filled with sunshine glowing through the backyard.  I WISH my camera could see it the way I do.  It would probably help if I wasn't taking the pictures through the glass too.

It's Wednesday and that means another step to IDS has posted.  They are making the second blocks and the race is on for me to stay ahead.  That means that today I am setting the center.  I have all my parts.


And I've cleared the kitchen out.  Yeah, I am out of floor space right now as the living room has a machine set up in there.  A machine that is not being used, but that's not relevant, right?  I LOVE this top so far.  So very much.


I have also caved on the Quarantine Challenge in the Texas Quilter's Group.  It did take me quite some time in the studio to find fabric to use, though.  The problem is that I don't wish to go scrappy and finding yardage with some coordinating pieces is challenging.  Add in that I'm kind of thinking "male" quilts right now as I am out of them to gift.  It appears that orange/brown has won.  My parts are cut within minutes and these are leader/ender for today ---- because I don't have any of those laying around.  Cough, cough, choke, choke.

I have a center!!!!  It has taken most of the day, but by golly, it is together.


So is my "Austin" block.


Along with some BAD blocks.  Yes, there are other leader/enders sitting around.  That's it for today.

16.  I have 4 pints of raspberries that I picked up at the store before Easter.  They are still beautiful and I'm shocked, but today we be jammin'.   I am up and moving.  Laundry is going, a bathroom has been cleaned and now for the raspberries.  Once the chores are done, I can play again.  Oh yum!!!


So, back on the 5th, I took some time and put together blocks to make pillow shams from my leftover Frolic pieces.  Today, I want to cut the few that I will need to complete the blocks and get started on the parts.  Apparently, I was a crazy person 10 days ago and I have to go through them all over again to make sense of the stacks.  However, I do get all the bits cut and am NOW ready to sew them together.  Wow.



I am moving on with borders on IDS and might as well get the binding done while I am at it.  First up is the inner border -- and I can even get it attached today.  One of my tips for today is that it is not written ANYWHERE that you have to add borders with the border on top as you sew.  If you flip the quilt over and sew with the border near the feed dogs, you can actually see your little triangles and not chop off the points.  Whoa --- mind blown.  A quick layout in the office (yep, I've made Mister scrunch over to the window for a minute) and I'm ready to start on the pieced border.


I have only 3 letters for this border - OMG.  I am doing all four borders at once.  I'm also putting together the pieces (HST's and flying geese) for the Frolic shams as leader/enders but, still ---- this is a LONG process.  Sooooo many pieces and I didn't do it in the twosie method Bonnie talks about.  I just built one long - make that four long - borders.  I don't make it all the way through today but have a great start on it AND all my parts are organized and ready to go.  Now I just need to distribute out the 4-patches and neutral squares.  Then, I'm ready to sew again.



While sitting on the porch watching the neighbors and children at play, I am prompted to go and offer masks to all the neighbors.  Yes, even with crazy quarantine hair, I walked towards a group outside (staying a good 10 feet away) and asked if anyone needed a mask as the city order goes into effect tomorrow.  Then, I posted in the neighborhood group that I'd be happy to help out.  Apparently, tomorrow is another mask day.  Feels good.  Do we look like we need out?


17.  The second block of the Quarantine Challenge released today and I'm awake at 4:30 in the morning just because.  I might was well quietly cut it out and let my sweetie sleep.  He's not having a great week with work.  A trip out to the studio and I have enough fabric for mask orders ready to cut.  Yep, the post was successful and I'll be a busy girl today.   Once everything is cut, I am ready to sew.  Now, there is just a small problem.  I have borders still on the machine and the seam allowances will be different.  That means the borders must finish first.

Zoom, zoom, zoom, as fast as you can go when you are adding a bazillion bricks and making the quarantine block and making the cornerstones for the borders all at once.

I have not had breakfast and am still going.  Mister shows up with a cup of coffee but I am so focused I forget about it too.  The "Noon and Light" block for the QAL is also complete.


Both of my blocks together.  Yep, it's gonna do the trick and fill a need.


Now for the seam allowance changes and to settle in.  No lunch, just sew, sew, sew.  I am a factory right now with a deadline as these are being picked up tonight.  By 4, I have almost all the orders complete and ready to bag up.  At this point, all I'm interested in is a glass of wine.  Whew.  I'm calling it done today.

18.  Up early again --- developing pictures and working on this blog post.  It appears that I am truly turning into that old person who goes to bed early and rises early.  I'm okay with it as the peaceful hours of the morning as the birds sing are some of my favorite.

I have more orders for masks and since it is cold out today, we are not going anywhere.  Another trip to the studio and I'm cut once again.   I also want to share that my neighbors have been amazing with kind gestures of thanks.  I won't let them pay for the masks - as that is just not right in this situation, people NEED them - so they are dropping goodies on my porch all the time.  My heart has truly been touched.

The masks are complete before noon and I'm able to spend the rest of the day with my sweetie.  We even settle in and watch "Hook."  Can you believe Mister has never watched it?  Goodness.  At any rate, I finish out the evening by a quick attachment of the outer borders on my IDS.  I have a few adjustments to make, but it's dang close to being ready to quilt.


19.  Happy Sunday.  Another step in IDS posts today and they are closing in on me.  I have a back to build and a label to make, then this sweetie is being quilted first thing -- yep ahead of the other two.  Talking Turkey is next, followed by Frolic --- all this week.  I just need to get the shams finished so I can quilt it all at once.  A start on the back happens, then a mask order to do, and then Mister wants a drive.  I am so excited to just go for a drive that once the masks are out for pick-up, we are outta here.

Starting out south of town and meandering up through Mesquite and into Rockwall is the journey and we discover a unknown speedway,


catfish farms,


and not a weather vane.  All of my up close photos blurred so I can't say definitely what it is, but, dang, so big and trying so hard to dry its feathers.


Ohhhhh, I forgot to mention that while I was busy sewing away this morning, Mister determined a haircut was in order and I caught him standing in front of the mirror with scissors.  Oh heck.  After stating for at least 10 times that there is a reason we pay people to do this, I didn't do too bad (look back on the 16th for comparison and the beard is back under control too).

20. Monday means a new step in Unity but I really want to finish my IDS backing first.  It, and the label, are on my agenda for the morning and by a little after 10, I have achieved my goal.  Photos then ensue and some nourishment into my bod.  At that point, bring on Unity.


This is ready to quilt.


Now for Unity and here is the Week 4 LINK so that you can follow along.  Today, I settle in to cut and cut and cut, taking up numerous hours.  Goodness.  By the time I'm done, I'm pretty done with Unity for today.  A quick trip out to the studio and I have IDS loaded and ready to quilt.  I'ma gonna get 'er done.


21.  Okay, Unity here I come.  First thing - even before breakfast, all those dang HST's are sewn in one long chain, block by block.  Yes, it took some organizing effort, but it worked.  Make breakfast for my sweetie and back to the machine.  Webbing blocks, making borders, and attaching.  A very busy day and when I looked up, it was late afternoon.  So much for quilting today.  Along the way, one more Frolic block for the shams happened as a leader/ender.  And that's the day.  I'm calling this one done and going to watch a show or two after emails to friends and decisions on retreat take place.  It's a full day for sure.


22.  The IDS group is up to making the center today.  It's been super fun to work at this pace and they almost have a completed quilt.  I can't wait to see them all.  What shall I do today?  I need to go out and quilt, but it's kind of cold today so I'll spend the morning working on the bits from Frolic.  I really want to get the shams together so they can be quilted at the same time as the top.  I feel like I'm in Frolic deja vu though.  My morning turns into ALL day and by the end, I have managed to get down to the last two borders on one and up to the borders on the second one.  All of those extra pieces are finding a home ---- well, not all, but . . .


23.  First up --- I have to do refunds for the May retreats.  This is just so dang sad to me.  I REALLY want to be together with the women and share in their warmth and friendship.  I am so done with this stay-at-home moment.  Okay, rant over,

 Can I finish the shams this morning?  That's the plan and it goes well.  I still have a ton of pieces left but they are now moving to the studio and into bins for future use.  I'm sure at some point there will come a need for them.  My shams are ready to join the main top and be quilted, hopefully still this month.  Now, out to the studio to do some actual quilting.

One sweep across the top of the quilt and all is good.  The return trip -- not so much.  Suddenly my tension changes and the thread is breaking constantly and nothing has been altered from the first pass.  ARGH.  I make as many adjustments as my brain can come up with, scream loudly, and leave before I take a sledge hammer to the machine.  Tomorrow is another day.


Strips that I cut for the upcoming May quilt-a-long - Carolina Crossroads - go back into the house with me and simple sewing ensues.  From strips to little rail fence blocks, I just sew, sew, sew for a bit.  I am going to make at least 2 of these quilts and brown/orange is the first one up.  Blue and green will follow along.


Perhaps SOME quilting can get done today.  My Whimm's blocks for the month have been patiently waiting and now is as good a time as any.  I get another check mark on the list today.  Woot woot.


24.  It's Friday --- I have to admit that I feel as though the weeks are flying by.  I know there are many who feel the opposite in this time of "staying home."  I guess I have just kept myself so busy that the day is gone before I know it.  Hey, if being honest --- I'm doing good to look up and remember to feed my sweetie who is hard at work in the office.  Well, digressing is my strong suit as well.  Back to topic - it's Friday and I'm anxious to complete a few things before the weekend.  Not that the weekends are anything special anymore, but one never knows.  It's also another IDS day and they are all putting borders together.  I'm truly running out of time to get mine finished.

The Texas Quarantine Challenge "A Dandy" block is out and I am once again reminded of why I love the Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers so very much.  It only takes me about 5 minutes to cut the block and I'm off to the machine.  YES!  I'm done before 8:30 in the morning.  There is still a ton of day left.  All three blocks together are looking fun.


Phone calls from/to friends are a big part of each day for me.  Today, I am sitting outside building up the strength to return to the studio for round two with my longarm.  Sharron has called and that is the bestest diversion ever.  Settling in outside, I am in the company of some beautiful mini roses.  Unfortunately, the call doesn't last long enough and it's off to the studio to see what kind of magic I can make happen.  For some reason, the machine supreme beings are smiling on me and four hours later, I have completed the task.  At one point, Mister came out to ask if the machine and I had had a "come to Jesus" moment.  I had to admit that I did, indeed, make a deal with it.  No sledge hammer in exchange for good behavior.  I have no idea what it was upset about yesterday because I didn't do anything different today, but the planets are in better alignment now, I guess.

After cutting the bottom loose and removing the very small amount of backing that remained, I immediately load Talking Turkey's backing.  No wasted moment right now.


That task complete and off comes my sweet quilt.  I do so love this one so much.


And the rest of Talking Turkey is placed.  We are ready to git 'er done.  Just not today.  I'm ready for a different room now.


But first --- a trim and out to the living room where my "walking foot" machine awaits.  Binding/label go on and I settle onto the sofa to continue my binge watch of The West Wing (yep, still another show that I didn't watch when it was on because we don't own a television) while hand stitching my binding down.  This is perhaps my favorite part of the whole quilting process.  Psst -- quilting is my least favorite.

25.  Yes, I did go to bed, but first thing this morning, I am back at both my quilt and the binge watching.  My sweetheart has to work all weekend so the days are no different for me.  How many  messes can I make in the house today?  Follow along and see.  But first --- TA-DA


And a sideways back --- I didn't have the heart to ask him to turn it around --- working on Saturday doesn't put him in the best of moods -- so a sideways shot.


Now, back to my mess making.  I've pulled out the batik strings/crumbs to work on Xing.  It's another class I took a year ago February and haven't touched since.  Perhaps I can make some progress here too.  Pretty good mess, right?


These blocks make it to the finish line -- 8 large squares, 4 medium squares and a handful of the over 100 small squares that I need.  Now, a break from strings -- but don't think for even a minute that I'm cleaning that section it.  It stays until the batik strings/crumbs are done now.

However, my break is due to the fact that the new quilt-a-long starting in May is rapidly approaching and my OCD has kicked into high drive.  I do not have the entire quilts (yes, 2 at least) cut yet so that is my project for today.  Thus, another mess in the living room.  By the time I call it quits, all of my neutrals have been cut for at least 2 quilts and some of the units are even being subcut.  I'm feeling better, but it'll need a few more hours to get me to the point where I'm happy.


Some quick trimming on today's string blocks before calling today done.  I really like these.  Perhaps this quilt will make me happy enough to work on it quickly like IDS did.  Perhaps.

26.  IDS post is to complete their top.  I'm resting a bit easier, but the end of the month is zooming up and I so wanted this to be my I-SEW-Lation month.  Check marks on each item seemed to be of a crazy importance to me.  I wonder why that is?  I don't know, but it is dang motivating.  What can I do today?  First up - Cutting parts for the upcoming quilt-a-long, Carolina Crossroads.  I have one heck of a lot of triangles to cut, but the bottom of the stack is found and I can move on.


Bits and parts are coming together.  While I am cutting the last pieces, Mister calls me to the front yard.  As he was watering the fern, a little wren flew out and then proceeded to yell at him from a nearby tree.  Hmmmm --- a quick peek in the fern shows multiple eggs.  We are outta here.

Back into the house and sew, sew, sew to manage to have the required amount of parts necessary for the first step in Carolina Crossroads.  I am making two of them and hope to have both parts ready because I think the blue/green ones will make a better picture for the step release.


Now, out to another machine again.  My little 185 has been my "string" machine for quite some time now.  I want to get all the batik strings for Xing finished this month, but there are a ton of them.  A few each day at least moves me towards that goal.  I'm kinda done for today and I have LOTS of quilting ahead of me still.  My goodness, could April slow down?  This weekend was not much fun in the "going somewhere" aspect.  I am being oh so good and staying put right now so that I can see my friends next month.  All encouragement helps and Mister is doing his part.

27.   Monday means Unity.  I have devoted the day to it and you can follow along in this LINK.  What I can say here is that I am absolutely in love with this mystery.  Watching it grow is amazing.


Once I have Unity under control, it's my daily allotment of string blocks.  And wine.  Yep, today has not been one of my better days.  As I end it, I am SO thankful for friends who check on me and keep me sane.  Hopefully you have the same in your own little corner of the world.

28.  I've got this.  I am in the studio and ready to quilt by 8:00 a.m.  I have high hopes that all will go smooth and my machine and I will see eye to eye.


It turns out that I am right and by 10:30 a.m., I have finished and started to load Frolic.


Talking Turkey coming off the fram.


Frolic loaded and ready to go.  All in all --- one good morning.


Now, I still need backings for my Frolic pillow shams so into the house I go to make those.  Do I have enough bluebonnet fabric?  I think I do.  As soon as those are cut and ready to hem, I move onto the label/binding for Talking Turkey.  It pays to have machines set up all over the house right now.  Each one has it's purpose and set up -- this one is the walking foot machine.  Perfect for binding.  I get oh so close.  Seriously.  Look at my distance on binding.  Right now my fingers are crossed that this same fabric still exists out in the studio.  I'm going on a hunt.


Success was mine and as soon as the binding is on, I move over to the strings to get the daily allotment completed.  Whew.  I'm getting tired today.  The stack is definitely growing and this is today's take.  Woot woot.  Papers need to be removed, but that's a great relaxing moment.  For now, I'm settled in and stitching happily away on the binding for my Talking Turkey quilt.  As I stated many times, this IS my favorite part of each quilt and I look forward to these moments.


29.  It's a Frolic kind of day.  I am in the studio by 8 and ready to go.  I'm even brave enough to quilt the word "frolic" into my quilt numerous times.  It goes so amazingly well and this sweetheart comes off the frame by 10.  I know -- pretty crazy.  As soon as I have it off the frame, I load the two shams and I think they take longer to load than to quilt.  It is all off by 10:30 and I'm heading into the house.  WOW.  I wish all days would go this well.


Sham backings are finished, binding is attached to all and I'm ready for hand work.  The leftover bits from the sham quilting is turned into future labels and I settle in to finish the binding on Talking Turkey --- my frozen turkey is TA-Done.

Mister helps out by stretching his arms as far as possible so that I can take a few pictures.  This is one BIG quilt.


While we are out in the yard, a quick peek at the peach trees show a few, a VERY few peaches are growing and will feed the squirrels at a future date.  There are not enough of them for us to spray and cover the tree.  Enjoy, little varmits.

Back to the sofa and I have all the binding finished on the shams.  My fingers are starting to hurt a bit so that's it for today.  I am running out of days this month and still need a few check marks, but am calling it done for these 24 hours.


Ahhhhh, birthday season has begun.  What a sweet man I have.


30.  There is quite a bit on my plate for today so by 7 I am sitting at my little 185 and stringing out the last 6 of my needed blocks.  WOOHOO.  Check mark.

It is now 8 and so a quick breakfast for me and my sweetie (coffee and a grapefruit each) takes place before I settle onto the sofa once more.  This time, I have my phone ready and start dialing.  Chatting while I bind helps me stay focused and in one spot until the task is done.  That means that I sat in one place for over four hours.  What???  No wonder I can barely walk when I get up.  BUT ---- Frolic is TA-DONE.



In fact, I'm so excited that it goes on the bed almost immediately.


Breathe -- just breathe.  The new quilt-a-long starts tomorrow and I don't have a picture of the second colorway yet.  Why is that?  Well, because they are not made.  Into the bedroom where my strips await.  They become threesies and then are cut into the rail fence units that I need.  I am ready for tomorrow and done sewing for today.  In fact I'm done sewing for the month.  My I-SEW-LATION month was crazy productive and it's the only way I stayed sane.  Seriously.


Now, it's onto May.  This whole Roaring 20's is really challenging with all that is going on in the world, but this past month I do believe that I ROARED into action.  For May, my ROAR is going to focus on friends and family.  And turning 62.  Yep, it's happening and I would like to face it like a lion.  What is your challenge this next month and how can you ROAR through it?  Give it your best shot.  I fully intend to and will face whatever comes our way.  Life is always full of surprises.  See ya next month.  (Be sure and check the goals below --- I have LOTS of red this month.)  Stay creative y'all.


UFO's to quilt:

BOM #1 - quilted and bound
BOM #2 - quilted and bound
BOM #3 - quilted and bound
Ohio Star - quilted and bound
Talking Turkey - quilted and bound YES, Woohoo!!!

Current Projects:

Frolic Mystery - Set, quilted, and bound - Done - feels so good.
Witches Night Out - Monthly Assignment Finished - Yes
Quiet Book - Supply list determined and collected
Stash Buster project - making progress on strip sets and cutting blocks
Batik Strings and Crumbs - Xing - Lg squares ✓, Med squares ✓, Sm. squares 
Unity Mystery - 2, 3, 4, 5
Idaho Square Dance Quilt-A-Long - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Prepping for Carolina Crossroads QAL - both quilts are cut and step 1 is ready for May 1st.
Frolic extra pieces - Made into pillow shams - Done, quilted and bound

UFO Items for This Month:

Two Whimms blocks (QAYG) - done
1 Row by Row block - Made 2 and put them together into a big block
BAD blocks as leader/enders - Yep, several completed

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- roll the quilt once - someday . . . .

Links to Previous 2020 Monthly Posts:

January 2020
February 2020
March 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment