Sunday, May 31, 2020

May 2020 Quilt Update



The 20's are Roaring Again and are you joining in with our own group ROAR?  I posted all the details in a separate post and here is the Theme LINK to get the details if you want to join in.


If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.

In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  I AM still in UFO mode around here and trying oh so hard to use or clean out the stash.  It will be an ongoing project this year.  If I want something to come in -- something has to go out.  That is one goal.  The balances change each month (hopefully) and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.)

So ---- here's  May and all the wonderful fun it provided.  Please remember that any links in here will  open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads or popups EVER

1st -  This whole Roaring 20's is really challenging with all that is going on in the world, but this past month I do believe that I ROARED into action.  For May, my ROAR is going to focus on friends and family.  And turning 62.  Yep, it's happening and I would like to face it like a lion.  What is your challenge this next month and how can you ROAR through it?  Give it your best shot.  I fully intend to face whatever comes our way with strength and resilience.  Life is always full of surprises.

Carolina Crossroads first step started today and our new Witch's Night Out post is up as well.  I'm so thankful to have gotten prepared ahead for those and can relax a wee bit.

Now, what shall I do today?  Ahhh, the new Quarantine Challenge block is out.  This week we are making "Four Corners" and I've read the directions from Quilter's Cache and promptly opted for my Companion Angle ruler.  I've cut one 2 1/2" strip of brown, one of orange, and one of my neutral.  All of my pieces will come from those and within 5 minutes, I am once again ready to sew.  (You can't see my orange squares, but they are there, under the brown ones.)  I rip out the final seams three times and then decide that close enough is good enough.  Two of the four points meet nice, the other two are misbehaving and I've given up caring.


All four blocks together - I think next week I need to go back to the alternate brown or orange to keep things lively.


When working on Carolina Crossroads for the post that went live this morning, I was left with a bunch of "bits" at the end of my strips.  They ARE large enough to put to use for the next step, so some cutting takes place and soon all the scraps are tamed and ready to use - both colorways.


Off to the machine to see what I can put together.  I go until the stack of twosies are finished and then my  mind wanders and I want to work on something fun.


Ahhhh, preparing for the Witch's Night Out June post.  It's the black cat and broomstick's turn and this one just looks fun.  I can play for awhile.  Layout first.


Ta-DA --- super fun.  And with that, I'm done for today.  Changes are taking place in my house and I have a bed to find.  Drat it all.  House cleaning for the next few hours and then sitting outside reading for a couple more.  Calm.  It's what is needed.


2nd - I have determined that all cutting for Carolina Crossroads should be done before retreat.  The issue now is that I have no idea how many strips I'll need for the next step, so as I clean up the "bits" from clue 1, I'm moving on and even get a chance to put together a little test unit.  These are kinda cute.


It's Saturday and birthday week, so Mister orders our very first "curbside pickup" pizza and a can of beer and we are off to the lake to relax and enjoy.  The afternoon is perfect and we truly enjoy ourselves for over two hours, just talking and enjoying the fresh air and watching the world go by.  I have so missed being able to be out and about on the weekends.  Fingers crossed for more of these little moments.



After a thoroughly delightful time, back to the house we go.  Yay!  Yep, that was dripping with sarcasm.  At any rate, I settle in with my sweet little 185 and crank out some crumb blocks.  I've made a dent in the ones I need, but have quite a bit to go still.  I'm off to bed.

3rd - Well ----- I couldn't sleep so I got back up around 1 and started sewing more crumb blocks.  After about an hour, I was drowsy and tried again for some sleep.  Success.  In the later morning -- you know, the part where we normally wake up -- I finished up the last of these little units.  They are just too dang fun.


Whimms blocks are sandwiched and the area where my 185 had been set up is cleaned up and everything put away before some binge watching of The Good Witch takes place.  As I'm watching, lo and behold, the same machine I had just been sewing on pops up in an episode.  It's badged differently, but it's the same machine.  Too funny and very cool.


4th -  Happy Birthday to me.  I'm cutting, cutting, cutting today.  I think I have put a permanent indent on the sofa as it has been rather a long day.  First -- the Unity clue has been released and all of my triangles are ready to sew.  I'm not going to get to them today, but they are waiting patiently.

I move on to the borders/binding/additional pieces for Carolina Crossroads x 2.  The stacks are growing and I'm hoping to complete this task before I leave town in a few days.


More strips are sewn as well.  This project has taken on a life of it's own.  Goodness.


5th -  Those strips sets from yesterday??  Today they are being cut up, more sewn, and more cut.  It seems to be a never ending process.  Who would have thought it would take as many strips as it seems to be using.

After hours, it appears I have finally located all the pieces I need for the first quilt.  This one is blue/green and two different steps will involve the little 9 patches so I've prepped them all.


And the process repeats itself with the brown/orange quilt.  More strip sets.


I was not joking about days of cutting.  It is evening - after 7 -and I am finally seeing the end of this prep time.  Well, at least this stage of it.  I have a heck of a lot of little pieces stacked up and ready for some itty bitty webbing.  That seems to be the best way to tackle this, but it will happen at retreat --- no time before hand.  Tomorrow is packing/laundry/etc.day.  Into the project box these parts go.


6th -  A dear friend is having surgery today and she is on my mind.  Many of us are wearing tiaras today in honor of her and as a united force for good.

I'm also collecting items for retreat and packing.  I have my priorities in order here -- costume first.  Clothes?  If I have time.  Mister needs a few treats for my time away and some Naan bread for his hummus will definitely put a smile on his face.  Time in the kitchen brings this yummy product to fruition.  I'm kinda jealous -- maybe I should have made a double batch and then I could take some with me too.  Drat.


As I'm cleaning up the house, I have quilts sitting around that just need labels written on so that they can be either put on beds or put away.  Some quick info is added and these four are truly done and behind me.



7th -  Awake before the alarm even goes off, I'm hitting the road bright and early.  In fact, I even have a beautiful moonset to watch as I travel.  It's incredible.


My car is loaded to the gills and no stops are being made.  We've all prepared for this day and I certainly won't be the one to break the rules.  If you wish to follow along in our retreat fun, here is the Brazos Disco Retreat Link for you to click on.  A walk to the river is first up and as I breath it in, I am at peace.  Let the fun begin.


The first project on my VERY long list of items is to finish up this weeks Unity clue.  Here is the Clue 6 LINK  so you can peek in on that if you wish.  My finished units are so cute.


The friend I told you about yesterday - she did well in surgery and a large group of us are making friendship squares for a quilt for her.  Stephannie is spearheading the project and I've made my block and turned it in.


Next up --- start the nine-patches for CC, getting part way there before calling it a day.

8th -  Good Morning!  Retreat day 2 and I am nine-patching away.  Lots and lots of little webbing, but they are going together.  Check marks are happening on my daily agenda lists too.  That feels so good -- maybe, just maybe I can stay on task for the next 9 days.  With all my little units pressed and ready to go, I settle in on the sofa and layout the blocks.  More webbing to follow.


But first, a hike up the hill, some time with Jen and Gwen, and just enjoying the country life.

Then back to it and webbing blocks can create a bit of a boondoggle under the table.  As the blocks touch me, I keep thinking something is crawling on my feet.  Maybe adjustments need to be made.

It's game night at retreat and Kelly is Sapphire.  I usually don't post this stuff here, BUT since the program was her brainchild and she WAS the first Ruby, well after all these years, she deserves a moment in the spotlight.  Congratulations, my friend.


Now back to my blocks and before bed, I have them all pressed and done.  Woohoo!!!


Tomorrow will be hour-glass units.  They are laid out and ready to go, but, for now, sleep.

9th -  Retreat day 3 brings me right back where I left off last night.  LONG chains of triangles sewn together, pressed, and sewn again.  I LOVE making progress like this and am really enjoying these units.  The cutting was a bit of a bear, but they are all going together so nicely.  Let's hope this continues the whole way through this project.  Dog ears have even been removed and I've remembered to save them for ornaments since this was a Bonnie Hunter mystery once upon a time, long, long ago.


I still have time today so I grab the next units and get going on them as well.  More little nine-patches with just two colors this go round.  Dang, these are so fun.  I really am loving them and hope the quilts turn out as soft as these units are.

Group pictures are always a challenge but this time we decide to have a little fun with our "virus" retreat.  I love these women more than I can say and thank them for following the rules I set forth and having this opportunity to share time together - masks and 6 feet (well, for the picture at least).


10th -  Retreat day 4 and our first weekend comes to an end.  Half of our people have returned home and the rest of us are enjoying the true peace and quiet of country life.  You can peek in on this Tweener LINK and see how truly hard we are working.  Hahahahaha.  My project for today is the bazillion HST's for my Scrap Crystals quilt.  Yep, something different to mix it up a bit.

Also, the Quarantine Challenge block posted on Friday and I'm behind.  It is a paper-pieced block called A Triple Star and with Gwen bringing her printer to retreat, I am able to work on it.  We have a bit of a snafu in the sizing of the papers, but finally figure it out and I set to work.  The second snafu comes from the pattern, but with just a few parts redone, that is figured out as well.


Since it was a paper-pieced block this week, there was an alternate option - The Go Along block (which reminds me greatly of an Ohio Star) and I choose to make it as well.  It's late by the time I'm done and since I'm a bit crabby (due to the snafus), bed is calling.


11th -  Day 5 of retreat and I have set it aside as my Unity day.  After yesterday and the challenge blocks, I'd love to say all goes well with this one, but I have a snafu once again and find myself at 2 in the morning, calling it a day.  Here is the  Clue 7 LINK so you can share in all my fun and misery.

12th -  Day 6 of retreat and, even before coffee, I go straight to my machine and add the final borders.  YES!!  I DO Still love this and am so glad I went to sleep before proceeding.  With help from Jen and Frieda, I am able to get a picture out on the deck of it so far.  TA-DA

Now, there is still a LOT of day left so I set up my 301 table and mocha longbed for some quilting.


After nearly 10 hours (a few meal breaks included), I have finished the quilting.  Trimming happens right away and even though it is 10:45 at night ---


binding gets added too.  I am ready for handwork.  Whew!!


13th -  Retreat day 7 and I'm back to little pieces.  The half-nine patches are going together and that makes me feel happy.  After manhandling my quilt all day yesterday, it feels good to play with smaller pieces.

Since my machine is still up, though, I get the Whimms blocks quilted too.  Then, the table and machine are packed up and returned to the car.  Two less items to deal with in my space.


I also brought Lady Elna along so that I could complete the applique work on a Row x Row block.  With a few empty tables around the room, I grab one and pop a movie in.  Another check mark for me today and another machine packed up and back into the car.


14th -  It's day 8 of retreat and ladies are both returning and new ones arriving.  The fun is about to begin again and you can follow along in this Sock Hop LINK.  I've settled myself into a ball on the sofa for binding and don't plan to come up for air until the task is complete.  Several movies later, I have my TA-DA.  I started this quilt in 1995 when I knew NOTHING compared to now.  It feels so good to finish it and see my roots showing.  I can't wait til Christmas so that I can put this on the bed. I think I'll make a couple of pillows to match from the leftover blocks/binding.

Parts are out for tomorrow's task --- setting and corner triangles.


Oh, thought I'd share my daughter's triumph.  Jen's Professional Tote (cut a LONG time ago) is finished.  Stephannie returned to retreat and was able to pick up some parts at my house along the way back.  Yay Jen.  UFO's being completed.  Feels so good.


15th -  Day 9 --- raining, raining, raining.  Wow.  All those bits I put out last night are sewn together through the day.  I'm making such good progress on these quilts.  Hallelujah.


It's also Quarantine Challenge day again and we have another paper-pieced block as well as another alternate.  I'm doing both again and the printing goes MUCH better this time.  The PP block is Night and Day and the alternate is Rosebud.  Both blocks are in the done column as well.


Locating all the parts for the second block in CC and taking the board to the sofa, once again all are laid out and ready for a whirlwind episode of webbing.  Five hours later (dinner and game night in there), I have my finished blocks all pressed and ready for setting.  I likey them.


16th -  We are almost to the end of our fun here as it is day 10.  I've kept to my checklist like a pro, but am not thrilled with today's task and so am finding other things to do.  How about I  make the binding for CC?  I can also sew the border strips end to end so they are ready too.  Now what?  Oh, I know -- labels need to be made.  I can play with the leftover pieces and see what happens.  Yay!!


So, If I'm totally honest, the reason I have minimal motivation today is that my belly is hurting badly.  I THINK quilting and manhandling my project for as long as I did and then spending a day curled into a ball binding, has pulled some muscles and then let them stiffen.  My abdomen is screaming at me.  Fun times.

It doesn't stop us from a group picture though --- AGAIN -- I am so fortunate to be surrounded by incredible women.  If you know or meet any of these women, know that you are a lucky person.


I have had Jen here the entire time and I truly cannot think of a better Mother's Day gift.  It has truly be a treasure I will remember for a long time.  Love ya so much, daughter of mine.

17th -  It's day 11 and we are out bright and early.  There is a break in the rain and the house is totally cleared.  Brazos Out and don't expect any sewing from me today.  I'm beat.

Once home, my sweetheart treats me to pizza by the lake again and I could not be more grateful.  Now to find more pain medicine so I get a good nights sleep.


18th -  I am beat!  Plain and simple.  It seems that the older I get, the harder these 10-11 day stints are, not matter how much I rest while there.  I am dragging today.

I've camped on the front porch watching baby birds take flight and creating a new avatar.  Yep, really working hard.

A trip to the studio looking for some Christmas fabric since we've decided to add a "Christmas in July" retreat to the schedule and everyone wants to make pillows.  While there, I locate the parts to fix my well-worn slippers, and backings for another set of pillows to match my Ohio Star quilt.  This taxes me so much that I'm about done for the day.  I DO have a stack of ideas ready to go though.


Just to prove my point --- my suitcase took a tumble and there it sits.  No way I am going to touch that thing today.  A friend asks if we have a 301 for sale and a quick trip out to the studio finds this one.  It'll need quite a bit of cleaning, but may work for her.  I certainly hope so -- we'll see in a couple of days when I give a test run.

19th -  It's Monday and that means that the Unity clue is out.  It turns out to the the final clue.  More cutting and more neutrals - drat.  I didn't think I'd make it, but . . . I do.  You can follow this weeks progress by clicking on this here LINK.


20th -  It's a cutting kind of day.  I have hopes in cleaning up the dining room before the month ends and that means all cutting needs to be tackled.  First up, the parts for slippers and Ohio Star pillows.  Quickly following that up is the parts I need for two pillows.  There is an exchange taking place in July and I want one for myself too.

Mister has been working on the 301 that we are selling and, DANG, she turned out so pretty.  The best part is she runs beautiful.  Yay!!  She is sold.


21st -  May and June usually mean doctor appointments in our home.  This year, we are adding eyes to the mix.  Why?  Well --- it's been about 10 years for me and who knows how long for Mister AND my glasses were broken at retreat.  I guess that means I have to bite the bullet.  Want to know the really sad part?  We have paid for vision insurance for several years now and just didn't put it to use.  Lessons to be learned even at our age.  It's a new doctor, obviously, and a very empty lobby.  COVID has certainly impacted each aspect of our lives.  Mister goes first and I settle in with my phone and some games.  When my turn comes, it's the jungle room for me.  Yep, I'm giggling.


Everywhere I look, there are critters and greenery along with the wall murals.  It is a visual stimulation that just keeps on going.  I like both the doctor and his assistant -- order my glasses and depart like a ghost, never seeing anyone else.  It's kind of creepy when you think about it.  Oh, turns out I have two kinds of cataracts --- yep, lots of great news but we'll just deal with them.  Is there a choice?  Grocery shopping takes place since I'm already out and masked and it's been about a month.  By the time my day is complete, I'm ready to just put my feet up and watch a show.  Why are days like this so exhausting?

22nd -  It's Friday and that means a new block in the Texas Quarantine Challenge.  Today it is Rising Star and I do manage to get everything cut out quick.  However, that is about it for today.


23rd -  As I'm walking back to the studio, look who comes out to say howdy.  I love these little lizards so very much.  Although I stood there for a few minutes, no dewlap.  Dang.  I REALLY do want to find the dining room this month.  I know I said that before, but today I'm taking steps to insure it will happen.  All of the patterns for my pillows have been selected.  I do so love having my light pad and it is set up and ready to go.  Do you recognize the patterns?  I have another project, not yet completed, that you have watched me work on for over a year.


Cleaning up the floor for a bit, I lay out the Carolina Crossroads quilt top so that I can get it set.  Oooh, I do like this.


Mister has finally had it.  We are taking the big plunge and going to a brewery.  finding a spot in the corner away from everyone fits the bill and with some BBQ for dinner, it is a nice break.  No one gets very close to anyone else and OHB has it set up perfectly.  It's just what we needed for a small break on this 3 day weekend.

Back home, the second of my Carolina Crossroads quilt tops is laid out as well.  I am not as sure on this one, but it sure is soft and calming -- kind of like my Unity top.


24th -  Since I mentioned Unity yesterday, I figured I should get back to the sewing machine and make some progress.  My Quarantine Challenge block is put together, several Unity blocks and a load of partially finished units before I call it quits for today.  It's Sunday and some time with Mister is appropriate.

25th -  We are outta town today!  That feels amazing to say.  My friend, Gwen, lives in Winnsboro and that seems like a safe place to go.  We are off to spend the day with her and her sweet hubby, Larry.

Being with Gwen means country life --- complete with animals and ponds,  flowers and food, great conversation and rides on the four-wheeler to see the property.  I feel refreshed and ready for the city once again.  I cannot thank her enough for sharing her home and time with us.  It has been such a wonderful afternoon.  Oh, it poured all the way there and all the way home -- but we were blessed while visiting.  I can't ask for anything better than that.  (If you look close, the boys are in the background as we take our turn on the ATV.)


26th -  Mister says the three-day weekend went way too fast and is back at work today.  I, too, am trying to be productive and decide to focus on Unity and get this off my plate today.  For some crazy reason, I think I'll be done by noon.  What a fool I was.  It's about 4 by the time I have a top to photograph.  (The link above shows all the steps to get where I end today)

27th - I STILL have a mess in the dining room.  The light pad is still there and so first up is to draw the pieces I need and then clear this off the table so I can cut large pieces of fabric.  Why, well because that's what I do.


My focus is still on Unity and the back is up now.  Again, I think the time will go quicker than it does and after about the third, very loud OMG, Mister comes to see what is wrong.  I just can't seem to get the math right on this one but it does happen and I have to admit that I really like it.  Another hour and I have the label and binding ready to go too.  Now, what else is still in the dining room?  To be honest?  Nothing I want to work on today.  A quick few moments and I have the borders and binding on my Ohio Star pillows.  That will give me a hand project for tonight --- because those snowmen were just for drawing, not actual stitching.  Hahahahaha.


28th -  I'm settling on the sofa today and hand stuffing then hand-stitching the binding down on my pillows.  I have a TA-DONE!!  It wasn't on the list, but still it feels good to complete another item.


29th - Another Friday and another Texas Quarantine Challenge block.  This week it is "Shooting Star" and I am so close to finishing up in the dining room.  I bet you think I'm a broken record, but it's true.  The block gets cut  along with the backing for the second Carolina Crossroads quilt.  Both spend some time on the sewing machine and are in the completed column.


So did I clean up?  YES!!!  The entire front of the house received a thorough cleaning -- even blinds and I'm enjoying the look.  How long it will last --- only time will tell, but I'm going to try real hard to live with a slightly smaller quilting footprint for a bit.  It's the little engine that could.  Right?


Even with all of this today, I still had a bit of time before Mister signed off work and headed to the studio to once again locate the long arm.  I've just been piling for several weeks now as I finish up projects and -- well --- what a messer I am.  An hour later, all is righted once again -- strips are back in bins, fabrics are in the correct color tub, and everything else has found it's home.  Yep --- now to get Unity quilted.

30th -  I'm not ending the month with check marks, but I AM managing to be productive.  The entire  morning is spent working on balancing PayPal, posting retreat dates and rosters for 2021, paying personal bills, cleaning the office, etc.  Mister has an idea for a project and we ordered the fabric for it.  This should be entertaining.  Believe it or not, the day was filled with this type of activity.  June will be a chance to re-ignite the sewing mojo.

31st -  Mister and I spent the day together, wandering, walking, sitting and watching others at Lake Ray Hubbard and simply trying to let things go.  We picked up a pizza and went home to sit on the porch and enjoy the unusually cool weather for nearly June.  Excursions for our January Quilt Cruise were booked and shirts were set in motion.  I'm checking things off on lists all over the place.

Did I do as I planned for this month?  YES!  Time with friends was immeasurable and we all ROARED with laughter and love.  I met another year with grace and feel as though a whole lot of life is still in front of me.  Projects were tackled with grace and although I didn't finish as much as I wanted to, I made great progress.  Now what?  Our world is such a mess.  Not only do we have COVID, but now we have rioting and devastation all around us.  Our city has a curfew at night and life is just so bizarre.  How can I take this theme forward into June?  Perhaps by literally ROARING.  I'm serious.  There are days when I want to just go outside and scream at the heavens.  Maybe that is cathartic.  At any rate, for June --- I am going to try some new things and ROAR into action with new life skills.  First up:  the patio furniture is being re-done -- by us.  Wish us well and we'll see what other ways we can enrich our lives and learn new skills at the same time.  That's the plan anyway.  OH --- and time with my ladies, of course.  Bring it on.

UFO's to quilt:

BOM #1 - quilted and bound
BOM #2 - quilted and bound
BOM #3 - quilted and bound
Ohio Star - quilted and bound - DONE
Winter Wonderland - quilted and bound

Current Projects:

Witches Night Out - Monthly Assignment Finished - Yes
Quiet Book - Supply list determined and collected
Stash Buster project -
Batik Crumbs - Xing - DONE
Unity Mystery - 6, 7, 8✓  Backing/binding/label made -- Ready to quilt
Carolina Crossroads QAL - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. 6, 7, 8✓ Backings/bindings/label made.  Both are ready to set.
Quarantine Challenge - 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

UFO Items for This Month:

Two Whimms blocks (QAYG) - YES
1 Row by Row block - YES
BAD blocks as leader/enders -

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- roll the quilt once -

Links to Previous 2020 Monthly Posts:

January 2020
February 2020
March 2020
April 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment