Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Mineola With Friends - Bonnie Hunter Emerald City Class

For those who remember my 600+ red and white triangle cutting mistake, well today I get to put them to use.  I had really wanted to make this quilt in green, but the universe had a different plan and so instead of Emerald City --- my quilt will be Ruby Slippers and, yes, Bonnie supplied the name.

Breakfast in the hotel with Bonnie and Irene (check out that Val has a HUGE waffle) and then we are off to Stitchin' Heaven and day two of our classes.  I am a bit intimidated by today's class and am still aiming for about the same amount of completed units, but time will tell.

Let's get this class started.




You really can't tell how much this quilt sparkles until you are up close and the picture is a bit larger.  The red likely won't do that.  Drat.



We have just a bit of fun time before class --- well, hello Glenda.  It's always fun to see those of us from retreat.



I thought I'd take a minute today and give you a glimpse of the store.  It really is a great shop BUT will soon have a new home.  Until then, shop, shop, shop.  Take a peek around.




Oh so tiny squares. Oh my.


Hey there Nancy --- pssst - she's always smiling.




Okay --- time to get to work.  Since I am totally precut (huge mistake, remember), I can just start in with half square triangles while Bonnie gives her cutting demo.  I have a great chain by the time I stop --- I need about 120 of these just for today.  There are over a 1000 in the quilt.  Goodness.

It's too big to press at my table --- big board here I come.


I even have a leader ender left from yesterday.  These sure are tiny triangles.  The two on the right?  Well, I sewed them with the wrong side of the red out and in this case, it doesn't work.  It has way too light of a "wrong side."


Demo time for the next step.  Are these a take on the birds in the air block?  For some reason, that is where my mind goes.  With four complete, I have met today's goal for this part and am ready to move on.  Some HST's are also sewn together and I know strings will be after lunch, but I'm going to get a bit of a head start.


We need quite a few string blocks and I've pulled enough papers to get through today.


And made a fine mess too.


Lunch was brought in today, so I just kept sewing up until Show and Share time.  I have Pineapple Blossom from classes here two years ago.


And Texas Tumbleweeds


Ana is back to share her Tumbler Leader/Ender Challenge from a few years ago.


and Double Delight -- and old mystery which we did a couple of years ago as a quilt-a-long in the Facebook group.


and Bricks in the Barnyard.  Way to go Ana.


Okay, back to strings.  The blocks are starting to appear.


I don't often get pictures of me working, but Ana stole my camera for a bit and took a few for me.  Truth be told, she took more than a few but I'm only adding a couple of them.  Funny girl.  This shows that I am at least attempting to keep my mess to myself.  It's one of the reasons I always choose to get back into a corner.  No different here.  We have a bit more space to move around.


Val has her block done waaaaay before me.  Love the teals.


But, the reds are pretty cool too.


By the time to lay down, I have one block.  Two more are almost there.  The fourth would have happened but I miscounted the number of papers I needed to fill.  Argh.


And they're done.


Gwen is coming into town for dinner and we are excited to meet up.  Then it's off to Quitman and delicious fare from Tony B's Texas Kitchen.


Gwen's steak and my chicken and pasta dish.  Both melt in the mouth wonderful.  It's so much fun to just sit and visit with her and I'm super excited to see her again in a week or so.

Right before leaving town, a stop is made at the new Stitchin' Heaven location.  WOW --- this place is going to be huge.  It's way too wet and muddy to explore, but dang.  I can't wait to see it open.


And as Bugs Bunny used to say, "That's all folks."  Today is in the books.  It's back to the room and more binding for me.  Tomorrow is another day.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy following you on your blog. Your exciting and busy quilty life is to be envied. You seem to move as fast as Bonnie herself. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am not even in her league, but she is definitely inspiring. Someday, I want to grow up to be like her.

      Delete