Sunday, April 7, 2019

Brazos House - Bluebird of Happiness Retreat

With only two and a half weeks between retreats, time is zooming right along.  I am on the road once again and it is a foggy drive down to Rainbow, TX.

Even though there has only been a couple of weeks, I am more than ready for this weekend although I am a bit distracted.  My grandson invited me to jump out of a plane with him on Sunday and I'm feeling just a tad bit distracted with that right on the horizon.  At any rate, onto Brazos I go and I will once again miss the sunrise due to crazy weather.  Why, oh why, will the sun not shine on the weekends in Texas?

I'm moving along fairly well, until all of a sudden it's a standstill on the interstate.  I lose over half an hour and since I left a little late anyway, well, let's just say I'm pretty positive I won't be the first one at the center.




Instincts are correct and Val has arrived early and has the room all set up.  Oh, how I love her.  I walk in with my balloons for her retirement and big hugs.

The car is quickly unloaded and I begin the task of putting the rest of the room together and starting in on name tags.  Each retreat has the same beginning and I kind of like the routine.

As the room fills, hugs all around and smiles abound.  Then it's off to Babe's for the traditional Thursday lunch.  I love these gatherings and I love Babe's Chicken House.  Oh, it's just so good.   Good food, good talk, lots of fun photos afterwards --- what could be better?  How about a tiara wearing chicken?



I have some very definite goals this weekend --- as with all days until the end of April.  Today's list includes adding the binding to Texas Tumbleweeds and making the backing/label for Carolina Christmas.  Start sewing girl.  After the binding is on and I've made progress on the backing, silly string comes my way.  I'd love to explain, but what happens at retreat sometimes gets to stay there.


With dogmatic resolve, the backing does get finished.


And TA-DA's around the room begin --- Maria is first -


Checking off my list for the day allows me some free time.  Grabbing a couple of friends and some wine --- we are off to the river ---- passing by the chickens, which are once again roaming free.


Black is apparently the color of the day.


While we are gone --- Debbie has a TA-DA


Dinner is called and off we go.  I have a few after-dinner items and they involve a birthday for Lori


and a retirement celebration for Val.


The evening continues with TA-DA's by Lori


and Debbie (she's rocking it)


I have somehow, in my wine state, managed to finish the label for Carolina Christmas.  This one is now ready to quilt.  Woohoo.  Check mark for me.


Sherri and I decided to call it a night a little early, but talking and shopping for cruise excursions kept us awake.  After quite a bit of time, we remembered to put the dishes away and managed to get included in the last man standing pic.  That's how it is done.  Well, kinda --- I'm hiding and everyone else is a bit odd.

Friday - Good morning Y'all.  It's gorgeous out!  Seriously.  I want to enjoy today as much as I possibly can and first up is to check out the animals --- who are also enjoying the sunshine.  Goats and pigs -- awesome.


My task list for today includes backings for both Good Fortune quilts so I am off to the library where I can throw fabric on the floor and see how it all goes together.


While I am plodding along, seam by seam, Virginia finishes a TA-DA.  She has taken her plus block exchange and changed them to a disappearing nine-patch block.  I likey.


I need a sewing break.  Let's go to the river.  Okay, okay.  I'll be honest here.  Sherri and Maria already went down and discovered something really cool so I've been pouting just a wee bit.  Now, others are wanting to go as well so "here they come, just walking down the street, singing do a didee didee dum didee do".


And just what is the excitement over?  Well, Alligator Gar are spawning in the river.  We wade out right up next to them.  This is just so cool.



Wow --- soooo many.


I love these moments with friends.  So many memories are down here in the water.


Once back up at the house --- the first Good Fortune backing is complete.  That feels so good.


Lori asks for a picture with me and her Autumn Splendor quilt.  I am so humbled by those who chose to play along and create with me.  TA-DA


Shortly after, Maria, Rocky, Angela, and I decide that the bluebonnets must be seen up close.  They just must.




Life is just so good right now.


Upon our return, Debbie has a second butterfly TA-Da - my goodness, she is focused.


Followed by Sherry with a TA-DA focused on African fabrics.


I settle in and put together a second Good Fortune backing.


With people coming and going, I grab everyone for a group picture before dinner.  On the porch for a first time, but I really like it.  I take the first one


And then jump in to be with the gang.  Here ya go:  Back row:  Sherry Lori, Samantha, Mindy, Terry, Gwen, Karen, Maria  Middle row:  yours truly, Val, Debbie, Sherri, Rocky, Betsy  Front row:  Angela, Tracey, Virginia


ONE newbie this go round --- Terry -- we are SO glad to have you.


We have a wee bit of time before dinner still --- Karen has a TA-DA (with help from Rocky)


Maria and I walk next door to check out the labyrinth.  It's dang cool.

Each of us took the time to walk the path and rethink the things that were bothering us.  I came away with a much better attitude and better able to go the direction I think I need to.  What a great opportunity to refocus.

Now, back to work.  I just barely have time to run some scrappy binding strips together before dinner.  After our delicious meal --- it's game night.


With a theme of Bluebird of Happiness, I was at a loss for a costume.  My budget just didn't allow for a whole bird, but thankfully Amazon came through for me.  Googling "bluebird costume" brought up this t-shirt.  Perfect.  I had the mask that I picked up earlier and a pair of royal blue leggings finish it all off.  It'll work.

I'm not the only one playing tonight --- Val is all in blue with a hat that is a birds nest, complete with chirping birds.  It's simply wonderful and so incredibly creative.  I want her mind.


Sherri has blue bird poop on her shirt and Betsy has a crazy cool hat.  I LOVE it when others play along.


Some advancements tonight:  first up is Angela who is RUBY  (thank you photo bombers)


Sherry is also a RUBY (AND all dressed in blue carrying a bluebird.)


As is Samantha (actually a couple retreats ago, but what can I say -- it got missed.)



One Sapphire in the group tonight -- congratulations Tracey!!!


A couple of door prizes are awarded to Debbie and Samantha


And, finally, let the games begin.  Could I really be standing any more like a bird?


First round goes to Karen and she has a ton of pretty blue fat quarters to call her own.


Val and Maria follow up with rounds two and three.


Duos around the room -

Terry and Samantha


Betsy and Mindy


Sherry and Debbie


Sherri and Tracey


Karen and Maria


Angela and Lori


Rocky and Gwen


Yours truly and Val --- what a fun night.


Games are over and now to relax a bit -- I mean the stress of winning is behind us.  That and trying to remember which direction is right and which is left.  Cheers, Y'all.

Sewing is back on our minds now and we have  a TA-DA from Lori --- it's a table runner so two pics, one each direction.


Paybacks --- just so fun.


TA-DA by Maria - all flannels and I want to snuggle into this one.


Lori with a last stitch TA-DONE!!!


Some hand stitching has taken place and I'm about halfway around Texas Tumbleweeds.


AND the bindings for both Good Fortune quilts are complete.  Woohoo.


Lori has two device holder TA-DA's


And that's it for tonight ---- LWS y'all.

Saturday - Rising a bit early, I am determined to finish up the binding on my Texas Tumbleweeds.  The weather has changed and we are in for a storm this morning.

Perseverance pays off and Texas Tumbleweeds is TA-DONE.

Mere moments after my TA-DA -- the power goes out.  It is dang dark out and quickly people make plans to head into town for awhile.


With window light, I set to using the cutting table and get all the parts for my mini design walls prepped.

With no electricity, the A/C is not running and it soon becomes quite warm in the house.  Choosing to open the back door, we soon have a visitor.  She pads though the sewing area and into the hall before making her way towards the front door.  I am trying so hard to get the door open but panic sets in and she's sure that the window should be her way out --- slamming her beak into it over and over before I can get her out from behind it.  Argh.


Still no power, so I move onto cutting out a book for my grandson.


And then, as if by magic -- we have POWER!!!  First up for me is the book and it's finished in no time at all.  TA-DA

Next, I need to make some binding for the design walls and it requires a zig zag stitch.  I only brought my 301 so need to go VERY old school and pull out the attachment.  It works like an charm and I'm soon ready to glue all this binding on.  (Psst -- the binding is the leftover backing from Texas Tumbleweeds)


As I'm gluing away, Val has her bag TA-DA --- she has been one busy girl.


As has Angela -- TA-DA


And the 3 little portable design walls are complete.  Yay.


Lori, with pillow TA-DA's


Labels are complete ---- OMG -- my day is finally checked off.  BOTH Good Fortunes are now ready to quilt.



Maria with the cutest cat TA-DA


Angela with another bag TA-DA


Sherry has finished her top made from aboriginal fabrics.  I adore the stars in the sashing and this one is going on my list.


For my evening sew time -- all the little tree blocks for Crabapples are finis.


And it's a wrap.  I'm ready for bed -- hoping others are too --- it's our last night and tomorrow is sky dive day.  Nervous?  You bet?

Sunday -- The day is foggy once again.  Within moments of loading my car, I get the call informing me that the dive is off due to weather.  Dang.  It is rescheduled for next week and now I'm relaxing and taking my time breaking down the house.  Several fidget blankets were completed this weekend and I'm THRILLED.


We've decided to spotlight the bag ladies with ALL their goodies -- WOW  They should start a business.  Congrats Angela, Rocky, and Val.


Samantha has her TA-DA


Brunch pulls the gang together for one last time --- no one is really ready to go home just yet.



Debbie with her last TA-DA


Followed by Tracey's TA-DA


One more fidget blanket


And that's it.  We are OUT.  Until May --- stay creative y'all and I hope to see some of you in Mineola in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment