Sunday, March 31, 2019

2019 March Quilt Update



Hello and welcome to the third Monthly Quilt Update of 2019.  Have you joined us in our theme for this year?  Do you know what it is?  Here is your hint and if you want to know all about it -- here is your LINK.  Always remember that in this group all links open in a separate window so you don't lose your place here AND there are no ads or popups EVER.



If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.

In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  I AM still in UFO mode around here and trying oh so hard to use or clean out the stash.  It will be an ongoing project this year.  If I want something to come in -- something has to go out.  That is one goal.  The balance change each month (hopefully) and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.

1st - It is my last day in Denton at the Minding My P's and Q's Retreat with Bonnie Hunter and today is our Straits of Macinac Class.  Stephannie is in class with us today and it is a blast.  you can read all about our incredible day with this LINK.  I stayed late to spend a little extra time with Bonnie and then home to  my sweetie, whom I have not really spent any time with in quite awhile.


2nd - I'm really struggling with the fact that it is March already.  Wow.  This last month flew by but today is Saturday and that means I am back on sweetheart time.  First up is coffee then groceries for mom, a stop at Mom's to fill her meds and help out anyway we can, onto Costco and fun treats, with a final stop at OHB for Texas Independence Day.  Yep, it's been a full day and you can share in our fun with this LINK.  When I finally land at home for a bit, a stop in my room shows just how many projects I have going at once and they are ALL Bonnie Hunter designs.  Get to it girl.


3rd -  Another day Mister finds us at the Arboretum to bask in this beautiful time of year and a stop at a Salvadorian restaurant for lunch followed by time at the movie theater to see The Mule.  One would think that was enough but, no.  A Mardi Gras parade is the finale before heading home.  Thank you, Mister, for an amazing day which you can share by clicking on this LINK.


4th - It is absolutely FREEZING here today.  Oh my.   I thought the weekend was cold, but dang.  Are we still in Texas?  To add to the strangeness of it all.  We have robins in the backyard.  WTW?  We never have them but the bushes are full of red berries and they seem mighty interested in them.  Not a great picture, but it is what it is.


I am in OMG MUST FINISH QUIET BOOK mode.  Handwork all day allows me to finish several pages up to finish work - all while making chicken soup.


5th -  It is still FREEZING but at least it makes working on the quiet book more appealing.  I really have no desire to go outside.  I spend another FULL day on it and finish all handwork on all pages except  the nativity one and attach all pages to their backings along with cutting and making binding.  The binding is even attached and stitched down on two pages before we head out to do some shopping.  I need more grommets and with Jakes right next to Harbor Freight, dinner follows.  Mister does not feel so well tonight so I finish up by working on blog posts and pictures.




6th - So ---- 14 hours in my nest nets me an "almost" finished quiet book.  The video has been made and can be watched here: https://vimeo.com/322271471  Click away.  I'm so close to total completion -- only 3 wisemen to go.  Lots of pics and the final pages can be found in this POST


7th -  I am Finished!!!!  Can I have a happy dance here?  I thought I would share before and after pictures of my nest.

The den is once again cleaned up as well as the kitchen from days of avoidance.  Mister has been in the office so I have had the house all to my self for the entire day. Everything is mailed and I am taking one big deep breath.  Wow.  Now to get caught up with quite a bit of blogging.


8th - The mundane aspects of life have crept in leaving me with laundry to do, but I am working on Carolina Christmas steps 5 and half of 6 all at the same time.  For this quilt-a-long, I have simply included my pictures in the monthly updates.  Call me lazy.  Just lots of pictures of the progress along the way.  I'm hoping to get my posting mojo back, but not this week.







9th - Oh my.  Is it the weekend again already?  I'm going to blink and be 90 any day now.  Yep, I am perfectly comfortable saying that.  No plans to leave before.  Since it is Saturday and the morning looks nice, we are off for a walk to the coffee shop.  Right before we leave the yard, the first peach blossoms are noticed.  Yes!



After coffee, I am off to meet friends for lunch and fun at the Dallas Quilt Show.  Stephannie puts this together each year and I look forward to our outing.  You can check in with this Quilt Show LINK to see the amazing eye candy we took in.

I am always thrilled for time with friends and memories made --- that's what holds us until the next time we can find each other.


After the show, I came home to find Mister making pedal helpers for me to take to retreat.  What a guy.

10th -   OH YES!  The morning is nice and we are off to the Dallas Arboretum to enjoy Dallas Blooms.  PLEASE click on this LINK for the crazy beauty we were lucky enough to take in.  Ahhhh.


My afternoon entertainment while Mister finishes the pedal helpers is to work on the Carolina Christmas blocks and get this step closer to finished.



I'm not quite complete, but Mister has 6 beautiful new helpers for those who have ordered.


11th -   I am caught up once again on the Carolina Christmas blocks and have 4 days to spare.  Yay me.



Now what?  Out to the studio I go.  It is a natural disaster zone and I want to get back out there.  Several hours later, I feel pretty good about sharing photos.  I am ready to work once again.


I have had a quilt on the frame for a YEAR!!!  That seems crazy to me, but I looked it up.  Oh my.  It must get finished and finding this room is a step forward.  How does time fly forward so fast?  A year???  That just can't be.

12th -  It's a packing, laundry, book work, kind of day.  BUT -- I do manage to get a tiny bit of sewing in and the label for Christmas Lights is ready to go, finally.  I really want this one behind me this month.  Will it happen?  Time will tell.


With pieces and bits all over my room, I somehow manage to lay out a few Jamestown Landing blocks and get them stitched together too.  I deserve a gold medal for plodding along today.


13th -  My blog is CURRENT!!!  Just in time to start another event.  Jury duty takes me downtown today but only for about 4 hours and then I'm released.  It's time to load the car and grocery shop so that I can leave for retreat bright and early tomorrow.  Sharing some scenes from downtown Dallas.




14th - I am soooo nervous for this retreat.  I can't sleep so might as well get on the road.  Why am I so nervous?  Well, because I have four newbies and really want them to have a great time.  It is what it is.  To follow along on all of our amazing adventures, here is your Retreat LINK.


The tables are ready --- let the fun begin.


My first task, as always, is name tags.  What a mess I have and it's only been a couple of hours since arrival.


Lunch at Babes is always fun and makes my tummy so very happy.


Today's task is to tackle these scraps that I have put off for a couple of retreats now.  They will be done today.


A new drink for the holiday:  I'm going to share the recipe here because it is just so dang easy and I want to be able to find it again.  Baby Guinness looks like beer but has none in it.  Simply layer coffee liqueur and Irish cream in a shooter.  Use a spoon for the second layer to keep them from mixing and this is what you get.  They are also soooo yummy, if you like the taste of coffee.

With my scraps behind me, I am laying out the blocks for Carolina Christmas so that they are ready to sew.  These are REALLY big blocks --- step 7 is under way.


15th - Yesterday, we were treated to time with brand new baby donkeys and they are up close today.



Fun and games abound today.  It's not all about sewing, ya know.


Okay, okay --- back to work.  Today I am starting on a Texas Wildflower Mondo Bag.  We'll see how far I get.


16th - I mentioned the newbies --- well here they are:  Betty, Shirley, Lou, and Gladys.  So, so fun to be around.


Shenanigans are not always brought on by me.  Proof is in the picture.  I had NOTHING to do with this one.  Such a great memory.


A complete Mondo Bag TA-DA --- woohoo


And, I've even managed to get the Carolina Christmas blocks done too.  It's been a GREAT day.


17th - Happy St. Patrick's Day!  It's that sad day of retreat --- the one where we have to go home.  It's an early departure and lots of memories left behind.  Our last big item on the agenda is a group picture of my bag ladies.  Isn't this just grand?


And, of course, I managed to miscount and left someone out of the picture.  DANG it anyway.  Yes, Mindy played along and has a completed bag.  The plan is to get Mister to work his magic on these pictures when he gets a chance.


And that's it --- Brazos Out!!


As soon as I get home, Mister and I are off to the Dallas Arboretum  for some eye candy during Dallas Blooms.


The sun is just perfect and makes these tulips look as though they are glowing from inside.  So incredibly beautiful and not nearly as cool in the picture.


A few more to share here but I have quite a few in this  POST.  Be sure to click and check them out if you love flowers.  Such a beautiful day.  Doesn't this next picture just scream "peace and serenity"?


And my favs -- white flowers of any kind.  Love, love, love.  Now we are off to White Rock Brewing for some St. Patrick's Day dinner.


18th -  It's a typical recovery day for me.  I am working on pictures and doing some blogging.  That's all folks.

19th -  NOTHING --- I am totally worthless today.  I have managed to unpack and put away all scraps along with starting to fill bags for April's retreat, but I'm making it sound much grander than it is.  How about some peach blossoms?


20th -  More blogging and staring dreamily at the sky before I finally kicked myself in the backside and sat down to layout Good Fortune.  X2.  Yep, each step has to be done twice for some strange reason.  Whew, that was a lot for today.  Hahahaha -- took about an hour tops.  After that, I walked down to the hair shop and got my tresses cut.  Seemed time.

At any rate, we are off to Intrinsic for dinner because cooking is just too much effort and tonight is baked potato night along with Happy Hour drinks.  Sounds perfect to me.



21st -   I have made a decision.  I'm getting a new phone.  This morning I am off to Verizon to see what they can do.  It means that everything on my phone moves to the new one, my old one (with the cracked selfie lens) goes to Mister so needs to be wiped, his stuff transferred from his phone after that.  At the first store, I get some young dude that tells me none of it can be done.  Well, some can BUT no promises and oh, by the way, you can't hold any phones to look at them.  They are all locked down.  WTW???  Almost in tears, I walk out and go back home.  Call the store I bought my phone at and ask for someone over 40.  After speaking with the manager (no, he's not over 40) I am assured that I can, indeed, pick up a phone and touch it, hold up the camera, etc.  I'm off for another round and as soon as I get there, I am turned over to Alex (who is over 40) and he works his magic over the next 4 hours.  I walk out having accomplished all that I set out to do and decide to pull a pretty woman move at the previous store.  I mean, seriously, they work on commission and I spent 1k today.  The words, "Big Mistake - Big -Huge" actually came out of my mouth.  Too fun.  The minute I walk in the door, my sweetie has a drink for me.  Smart man.  This day is done, but I can once again take selfie pictures at retreat.  Woohoo for that.

22nd - Yesterday, I did take some time to write out a bit of a schedule for the rest of the month.  I don't  know about anyone else, but I work better this way.  I have a love of checking things off lists and the feeling of accomplishment it gives me.  Today, it begins.  I am out to the studio first thing and manage to keep my patience in check while I figure out what is wrong with my midarm.  Problem gets solved after several steps and withing a couple of hours, my Pineapple Blossom is off the frame.  It languished there since February 27th, 2018.  Really?????  Eleven months of once again being intimidated by a machine and for what?  Wow.

I have got to stop this pattern or my stack of quilts will never diminish.

Moving on.  It is Friday and that means another step in Carolina Christmas.  This week we are setting the center.  With these giant blocks it doesn't mean that too many are required, but there are a LOT of seams to match.  Lay out is the first step.


Then to the machine and --- voila -- a center.


Mister and I decide to go for a sunset walk at White Rock lake --- oh my.  I have a whole post of beautiful pictures, but here is a teaser.  Click on this White Rock LINK for more.


My evening entertainment is trimming Pineapple Blossom.  Woohoo.  It was a GOOD day.


23rd - Back in the studio, I have Texas Tumbleweeds loaded.  Looking back at the last post I worked on it, I mentioned that it would be done in April.  Of 2018.  I MIGHT make it in April of 2019 at this rate.

Into the house with bobbins to fill for Texas Tumbleweeds and binding/lable for Pineapple Blossom.  The plan is to set up a machine in the house and get several projects tackled at once.  But for now, it is the weekend and we have a date with Mister's Mom.

Taking Mom to lunch is an adventure and she giggled all the way through it.  LOVE so much.  You can follow our fun day in the following 4 Rotations POST.


While at On Rotation, I was treated to silk screening lesson --- here's your Silkscreen LINK.


24th -  Sunday and the glory of the flowers is calling.  Yep, it's overcast again, but . . .  I'm sure we NEED to go see what's new.  OHHHHH, upon our arrival, I know I am right.  It's simply divine here today and I also know you will want to peek in.  Here is the Week Four POST that you can click and see about 30 wonderful pieces of eye candy.  For now, here is a sample




Walking with my sweetie is the best way to start a day and now that we are back home, I am energized and ready to set up the living room for a two-day project.  Well, I have promised only a couple of days, so want to give it my best shot.  As soon as I have the area under control, all the bobbins for Texas Tumbleweeds are filled and I move right into attaching the binding to Pineapple Blossom.  It has a gold flange and I still have much practice ahead to get them to be straight, but I do like the effect and this one is now ready for some evening hand work.


Moving right along, Christmas Lights is up on deck and I am going to do some simple straight line large cross hatch quilting in it.


Zoom, zoom, zoom and it's done.  Well, alright, it did take a couple of hours.


Binding is made next and attached just like that.


And this one is ready for evening hand work too.


That's day one.  I have one more project ready to go and tomorrow Merry and Bright will be first up for some simple vertical lines.  However, that is enough for today.

25th -

Both Christmas Lights and Merry and Bright were sandwiched at a retreat in February. That means safety pins and lots of them.  I'm just pulling and tossing as I go, scattering them all over the carpet below me.  I want this done and right now, it's just easier than trying to keep a container close by.  Quilting is finished - binding/label up next.


And a third ready for evening hand work.  Whew.  It's been a busy couple of days.  Now to break this little station down and clean up the living room.  I kept my word.


With the living room back in place, my attention turns back to Good Fortune.  I REALLY want this one (both of them) ready to quilt as well.  I start in webbing the first one.


And get the center finished.


A start on the second one is all I get this evening BUT, check out the progress on Jamestown Landing.  I am using it as leader/ender and a block now and then makes me feel better.  Settling in with my sweetie for the evening, binding is underway.  Pineapple Blossom is now in the DONE column.


A peek at a corner and although it's not perfectly straight on the flange, I still like it.

26th -  Okay, according to my schedule I wrote up this week, the first borders need to go on the Good Fortune quilts today.  Well, that would mean the centers on both need to be done.  In I go and soon the second center is set.


Not to make the pieced borders.  EIGHT of them.


TA-DA


Now to put them on - but first, pressing must take place, both on the borders and the centers.  It's a nice day out --- perfect.


Mister peeked at me ---


And they're on --- all eight of them.



SOOOOOOO, as I am working on the pictures to post here and write about it, I discover that I put the borders on upside down.  I am crazy angry with myself and now have to take off the 8 borders I put on today.  Grrrr.  THAT'S my evening fun.  Once they are off, I put a few stitches in the binding on Merry and Bright, but just a few.

27th - Today is remedial quilting day --- where you repeat all that was done yesterday in order to attempt learning a lesson not to be forgot.  The borders are back on --- correctly.  Does it really matter??  In the big scheme of things, likely not, BUT . . .



Now to move onto today's task.  Border Number 2. OH MY GOODNESS!!  It takes forever to get these made.  So many triangles.  Once I sew the 8 strips of each into 4 borders each, I am ready to attach.  This is a case of  "let the feed dogs do their thing" so that the bottom eases to fit.  So, so glad to have this little trick in my wheelhouse.  I remember the days of pin easing -- and do not miss them even one little bit.


Breathe -- border 2 is done.  (Just between you and me, I managed to put the first one on upside down and had to take it off and start over.  I know, apparently yesterday's lesson needed a little further installation.)  It's looking a little wavy.  I'm hoping it all works in with two more borders.



28th -  Border number three is today and I'm super stoked.  After all those little triangles yesterday, this has to be a breeze.  Long string pieced strips.  That's all there is to it.

More time outside is perfect.  I have been able to do this each day and it makes this process lovely.  The birds are singing, squirrels are running amok and I'm happily pressing away.  Back inside and - they are on.  A few less waves so hopefully number four will finish the job.



It's Thursday and I just can't move forward onto the last border BUT still have a bit of time before calling it a day.  Cheating just a pinch, I grab the first borders for tomorrow's Carolina Christmas step and sew them end to end and add the cornerstones.  Pinning the first two on is as far as I go.  Tomorrow morning -- this will be my focus.


While watching a show with my sweetie, Merry and Bright is indeed that.  Why?  Well, because it is Done and that is always merry and bright to me.


Even with it's crazy back - hahahahaha.  I actually love it all except the bright blue at the bottom.  Oh well.


29th -  The final Carolina Christmas step is posted and I feel good about moving on.  Attaching the borders I pinned on yesterday is first and then onto the pieced outer border.  These go together so quick and easy that I am shocked.

The weather is a bit iffy but I have so much more room ironing outside. I'm going to give it a try and hope that the rain stays away.  First borders pressed as well as the border strips.



I have a tiny bit of wave, but still have one border to go.  Back to the sewing machine.  I have to say --- I truly love this quilt.  These borders are amazing and the corners are such fun.  It may become my favorite Christmas quilt of all so far.

Okay.  I still have some time left today and since the Good Fortune borders are almost the same as the ones I just did, I decide to build them while listening to a movie.  Parts are ready to go.


A pile of strips and strips laid out.  Pressing will occur another day.  For now, it's time with Mister.

We opt to stay in this Friday evening and settle in with a movie.  That gives my hands a chance to stitch up a bit and by the time the movie is over, I have a TA-DA.  Christmas Lights is in the DONE column.  This has been a GOOD month.


And the back


Along with a corner shot.  It's decent.  And done.

30th -  It's a rainy day, but we make it work.  Off to the Arboretum and here is your Week 5 Dallas Blooms link so that you can share in all the beauty with us.  Here are three to pique your interest and let you know it's worth it to check out the post.



Rounding out the day, errands for Mom, visiting with her, and a three-hour trip to Costco.  Cue the theme from Gilligan's Island --- "three hour tour"  Hahahaha We do make it out alive but the car is packed and the wallet not so much.

31st -  Welcome to the last day of the month.  It's still dreary out, but I'm hoping something of interest will come my way.  Hours later --- we have been to Weatherford and back for Trade Days.  Check out this old treadle driven lathe and an Elna.  Very cool.  Next up is dinner with friends, and ice cream bought at Atomic Pie on the last night before they close.  Good and bad and everywhere in between.  What month.  No sewing today, but I'm good with what has been accomplished this go round.  What will April hold?  Only time will tell.  See you then.


UFO for this month:

*Pineapple Blossom - quilted and bound  YES
*Garden Party - quilted and bound
*Texas Tumbleweeds - quilted and bound - Loaded on the frame
BOM #1 - quilted and bound
BOM #2 - quilted and bound
BOM #3 - quilted and bound

Current Projects:

Quiet Book - finished  YES
*BH Mystery - finish setting both - Up to the very last border
Merry and Bright - quilted and bound - YES
*Christmas Lights - quilted and bound - YES
Carolina Christmas - top complete - steps 5-9 - YES
Xing -
Sandcastles -
Daybreak -
Straits of Macinac - 2 blocks made in class

UFO Items: (No, this is not the entire list)

Ohio Star - set and backing/binding to do
*Talkin' Turkey -
*Crabapples -
*Jamestown Landing - Progress Made
*Scrap Crystals -
*Smith Mountain Morning -
*Midnight Flight -

UFO Handwork Items:

1 Box finished for tea set -
Red/White embroidery between blocks on WW finished -

Links to Previous 2019 Monthly Posts:

January 2019 Quilt Update
February 2019 Quilt Update

2 comments:

  1. I had to skip to comments to tell you, I am hysterical at your Pretty Woman line!! I can't believe you actually did it! Too bad he was probably too young to get it but oh the satisfaction!!! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you. I have to admit --- it was sooooo fun.

      Delete