Sunday, March 17, 2019

Brazos House - Texas Spring Retreat

Spring is just around the corner and with it comes our March retreat, aptly named "Texas Spring."  It appears that this year will be a grand year for our state flower, the bluebonnet, and I can't wait for a road trip to see the beauty it will provide.  For now, we will bring on the season in our own way - with laughter, love, and wildflower fabric.  I am on the road before the sun is up and well on my way before it starts its ascent.  Ahhhh, I love this sight.  (Quick shot over the shoulder without looking.)




We have four new ladies joining us this weekend and I'm just a wee bit nervous, wanting them to have such a great time, of course. 

Upon my arrival, the room beckons and soon I am retrieving our "stuff" from the closet and starting the set-up routine.  I am on my own this weekend as my trusty helpers are all otherwise occupied and will arrive a bit later.  No worries -- I left with plenty of time, I hope.

By the time everything is in place, I have been joined, met my new ladies and am well on my way to creating the usual mess of my table.  Name tags need to be updated and everyone eagerly awaits this to see what is new.  The state of Texas is our charm this month.  Perfect.


Rumbling tummies let me know that it is time for lunch and since a few ladies changed plans, we are few in numbers but grand in fun.  Off to Babe's we go and oh my goodness, does this taste good.  (Hey Susan, the camera is up there)


To backtrack a bit.  As we were leaving for lunch, we noticed that a brand new donkey had just been born.  The grands of our hostess, Kay, were thrilled and had just witnessed the birth.  From the car, Paula, Susan, and I were able to watch it take first steps.  Such smiles we had.  Now that we are back, the first thing I do is go into the main room and tell Rocky and Maria to put shoes on.  Without telling them why, I drag them off to the area she is in so that we can see the little one up close and personal.  There are two littles, but one is about a week old.  It is lighter in color and rather lazy at the moment.


Our new sweetie is a bit further away and darker in color (as is mom).  Oh those steps are just so wobbly.


I decide to make a quick loop of the property before going back inside.  The goat family is doing grand.


And the river is HIGH! (From the overlook - no riverbed to play in this week.)  Looking north.


Looking south.


And a few views around the place.


A request to walk to the river is made and I'm always up for a tour.  Let's go.  It's chillier out here the closer to the water we get.


Our normal playground is pretty much under water.



The shadows on faces made me have to lighten the background -- but I still want this picture. 


Okay, okay.  I need to get to work just a wee bit today.  The name tags are complete and I have this bag of scraps from February that REALLY need to be tamed.  This is it.  I'm not moving on until they are finished.  While I work, the room is alive with fun and laughter.


This day has gone by soooooo fast.  We have laughed so much and just enjoyed one another.  I brought a few fun drink recipes with me and tonight we are making Baby Guinness Shooters.  No, they are not beer, just made to look like it and are, oh, so yummy.


Some sewing has taken place.  Mindy with her camping quilt TA-DA - I have the perfect panel for the back of this.  Will bring in April.


Maria also has a TA-DA - log cabin love.  I  need to learn to think outside the box when it comes to borders.  This is great.


I finished my scraps -- patting self on back -- and have laid out and stacked the blocks for this week's Carolina Christmas step.  Sewing will commence this weekend. 



I've made it to midnight and with little sleep last night, am done.  Crazy last ladies standing.


This is better and I'm off to bed. (keep reading, this post covers the whole retreat)


No, it is not morning yet.  My roommate, Sherri, was still awake when I went into the room and between chatting and losing my mind over the yard light outside my window, we laugh until our faces and bellies hurt.  Such good fun.  Two hours later, it's finally time for sleep.

Friday - Good morning.  As I look out the window, I see that our mommy donkeys have brought their littles up to the fence.  Quick shoes and out I go.  I LOVE this so much.


Ahh, my heart.  Look at that really cool black marking.


Looking into my room.


Paula was a busy bee yesterday and has a TA-DA this morning. I really like this and want to make one only I have a pattern that incorporates turtles into the design.  Perhaps this spring.


Mindy with her exchange plus blocks TA-DA


It's Darlene's birthday today.  I'm so glad she told me so that we can celebrate with her.


Last night we determined that Sir Lights-A-Lot (outside our window) needed to die.  Today is the funeral and that is why we are off to the barn for the necessary parts to create a funeral, coffin, and marker.  Sherri sidetracks us with a silly string battle along the way.  Children must play.



Back to the task at hand.  No, we are not alone in our endeavors.  Yes, there was a video of the battle, but it just won't load to my computer - you'll have to check the Facebook page.


Sir Lights-A-Lot has been smothered with a rug and bucket.  The marker is made and placed.  Funeral over.



Now, our next task is to sew with the goats.  We have jokingly referred to this as Maria's Timeout, but it really isn't.  Yesterday, a request was made to borrow an extension cord to plug in a machine.  A 25' cord was offered and it became a joke as to how far from the house it would go.  Today we are testing the theory and having a bit of fun at the same time.  Isn't that what retreat is all about?  (Can you believe that table DIDN'T fall over?)


I have been playing ALL morning and am supposed to be making a Mondo Bag and others want to learn along with me.  It's now time to buckle down and get going.  First step is to lay out all the squares on the grids.


Maria has another TA-DA - great idea once again.


Sherri with some pillow cases to go with her new pillow that she bought in town.  These are going to be used tonight so into the washer they go.  TA-DA


The rest of the afternoon is spent with about half the room working feverishly on Mondo Bags.  Right before dinner, we quickly gather for a group picture as we are losing one of our group tomorrow morning.  This is such an amazing family of women and I am loving every minute of this weekend.  Left to right down the stairs;  Gwen Lana, Carri, Frieda, Darlene, Betty, Maria, Gladys, Shirley.  Across the front left to right:  Yours truly, Val (behind), Rocky, Susan, Mindy, Paula, Sherri, and Lou.  Thank you, thank you, thank you for enriching my life repeatedly.


Birthday time, birthday time!!!!  Sparkling candles, blinking signs, and both chocolate and vanilla in the same cake.  Perfection.  Happy Birthday Darlene and we are so privileged that you wanted to spend it with us.  Love, love, love.

Now, for games!  I really didn't put a lot of effort into my costume this week.  I'm sorry.  However, I do have a flower enhanced cowboy hat.  That's Texas Spring, isn't it?  Throw a tiara in the mix and I'm golden.


Darlene, on the other hand, has outdone herself.  You REALLY have to look close at all the buttony fun, including bracelet and ring.


Carri, also went above and beyond in her rendition of a bluebonnet.  Wonderful


For most everyone else, St. Patrick's and Flowers reign supreme --- Frieda and Maria


Shirley and Gladys


Darlene and Susan


Carri and Mindy


Sherri and Paula


Val, Rocky, Gwen


Betty and Lou


Yours truly and Lana


Now, let the games begin --- well, not really.  First up:  Door prize and Lana WINS.

Thank you, Bonnie Hunter for the fun gifts you left behind last retreat.  They are the gifts that just keep on giving.

Advancements are next - Susan is RUBY



Frieda is SAPPHIRE



Paula is PEARL



And Rocky is PEARL -- doesn't she look soooo happy?



Speedy LCR is up next.  Gwen takes the fat quarters in a shocking finish.



Aren't they beautiful?  Oh my.


Get your money out ladies --- it's time to get serious.


Our first winner in the money round is Sherri and she chooses a jelly roll.


Yes, I have a picture of her.


Our final winner of the evening is Susan ---A layer cake goes home with her.  We laughed sooo hard, as always and new memories are added to the cache.  Thanks for playing, everyone.


More Baby Guinness fun.


Shortly after everything is cleaned up and all the furniture returned to it's rightful place, I call it quits.  No sleep for two nights has put a brick wall in front of me.  However, after I departed, these pics were sent to me.

Susan with a TA-DA


And last women standing.  You gals rock.


Saturday - It's a new day and with about 10 hours of sleep, I am a new gal.  Today -- the Mondo Bags will take center stage and Val starts us out right with the first one finished.  TA-DA


Maria TA-DA - love the modern feel to this


Gladys is leaving our midst this morning - yes, we are sad but family always comes first - and I gather these ladies for our newbie picture.  You are all wonderful and I cannot wait to spend time together again.  Welcome Betty, Shirley, Lou, and Gladys to our family.


Darlene, with a truly scrappy TA-DA - all batiks


Susan with a Twist and Shout TA-DA


Ooooh, look who sneaked in for the day.  Howdy Sam


It appears that shenanigans are being embraced by all this weekend.  I'm told to quickly go outside and there is something picture worthy.  Well, dang.  You ladies definitely get the prize.  Way to go Stan - Darlene and Lou have a new memory to hold dear to.


I have finished my Mondo Bag --- woot woot -- and I LOVE it.


Dinner is called and I happen to glance around the room.  It's empty and quiet.  Rare.


Bingo -- I've come to the conclusion that whoever sits in this seat is in charge of room games.  It seems fair.


Tonight's shooters are Rum Horchata, compliments of Carri.


Val's TA-DA


For the rest of the day/evening, I have put together the Carolina Christmas blocks.  Hooray - another step is done and I'm caught up once again.


Fidget blankets are getting some attention and although most are making backings, one does get put together.


Frieda's TA-DA


And our last night picture.  I looked at the clock and discovered that it was after one and the room still full.  No one wants this night to end and I understand.  This has truly been an incredible retreat.


Sunday - the dreaded day has arrived.  Packing up takes precedence as well as visiting over breakfast and tearful hugs and good-byes.  So many friendships bloom here and many times this is heard, "I don't want to go home."  Totally understandable.

My gifts are gathered for a picture and a heartfelt thanks to those who treated me to them.  Y'all are the best.

I haven't shown pictures of each person's Mondo Bag TA-DA as we planned to take a group picture this morning.  Charms were awarded last night and some were still working on the bags into the wee hours.

You know what they say about the best laid plans.  Well, I didn't count when we went out to take the group picture and we didn't have Mindy included.  My sweet hubby is working on incorporating the pictures together and adding her, but it takes time and he is in short supply of it today.  Thus, you will get to see Mindy's TA-DA first.


Now the group:


That's right --- 9 ladies participated and that is a TON on a retreat project.  Over half.  Love it and can't wait to put these to use.


On that sad note --- the house is cleaned up, tables are back where they belong, and rooms have been check.  We've had some quiet time to visit and it's now the moment to bust out of here.  Say creative y'all and Brazos Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment