Friday, March 1, 2019

Minding My P's and Q's Retreat - Bonnie Hunter Straits of Mackinac Class

Drat --- the dreaded LAST day has arrived.  I'm super sad, but crazy exhausted as well.  It has been a whirlwind week and I've loved every minute even though I'm starting to miss my sweetie.  Today is Straits of Mackinac in String Frenzy by Bonnie Hunter.  I have adored this block for the past two years as she was working on this at a retreat in Temple, TX at that time.  Now, it's my turn to work on it and the clock says the class is about to start.  Out to the lobby we go for the first of our demos.  It's the best time of each day, getting perhaps one little tidbit that is new and exciting.  It never fails to happen for me.






First up today are the square in a square units and after yesterday, I am being super careful that my block comes out the right size.

As soon as we have several of those put together, it's on to the HST's and this part goes together fairly quick.  This was the block I worried about all week and so far, I have less stress than yesterday.  A ton less.

Chaining, chaining, chaining.  I am just flying through these.  Woot woot.  (Thank you, Bonnie, for this picture.)


Now to put them into units.


I am ready to move onto strings, but have to get checked out of my room.  As I leave, I let Stephannie know that my machine is available if Bonnie needs it and this is what I came back to.

How fun and I even made it back in plenty of time to hear the demo and provide more parts for her to work with.  For some reason, I cannot locate the bag of strings I brought, but I do have a bunch of 1 1/2" strips.


Lunch and then the last Show and Share of the week.  I don't have this one quilted yet, but it is sandwiched so I can share.  It is Christmas Lights that I've worked on with the Snarky Quilters group.  I love this so much and am ready to get it quilted.  It just didn't happen this week as I went to my room each night totally ready for bed.  No extra sewing for this girl.


Settling back in and ready to get stringing, one of my tablemates points out that there are Cedar Waxwings outside my window.  Ooooooh, where is that camera?  Bu the time I get it out and one picture taken, they are gone.

Our next demo is for cutting the strings and putting together our tri-rec units.  So many different options are given and I go for what Bonnie calls, "super speedy" method.  Yep, that's what I need right now ---- something easy and fast.  Using my cut-offs as I go, I even manage to get one sashing strip made so that I would have an idea of how this will look.  I'm loving it.  Honest.  I know I say that about all of them, but's it just the truth and no sense in denying it.


A quick pic by Bonnie's quilt.


This class is coming to an end and my table partner has been Stephannie for the day.  Picture time.  (Psst, we're not quite done yet.)


Out to the dining area to make a quilt.  Two angles and so many different ideas.  Since I laid the sashing in, my block sticks out a bit.



And this class is over, as is the week of fun.  I'm actually packing up and taking a few minutes to invite people to join Our Quilt World and perhaps come play at a retreat with us. 

Becky is surrounded by pink and looks so lovely I can't pass her by.  Those still remaining at our table run over for a quick selfie and Bonnie joins in.  Love it so much.  Such fun with Terrie, Carri, Stephannie, and Becky. 


After retrieving my loaner machine and table from Bonnie, we are off to FedEx to mail her supplies home and grab a bite to eat before saying good-bye.  Rudy's BBQ is PERFECT!!!  These potatoes are absolutely huge and do their job to fill us up.  My heart is full from such a great week and I'm already counting down the days until April when we can hang out for a bit again.  If you ever have a chance to take a class from Bonnie Hunter, please do so.  It will absolutely be worth it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment