Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Surfside Beach Retreat 1

The day for the beach retreat has arrived!!!  As difficult as this summer has been for me and how nervous I am about seeing all my friends right now, I NEED this time at the ocean to refill my soul.

I loaded my half of the car last night and Lydia has arrived this morning.  We are PACKED to the gills and ready to go.  Lookout Surfside, the ladies are returning.

We have an easy drive with our usual rainstorm around Houston -- it's not possible to make this trip without at least one downpour slowing our time.  As we approach Surfside and start to descend the bridge, I spot our house and already feel amazing.  We are here and early.  Perhaps we can be unloaded and have the house set up before others arrive.  Please let the house be ready.

Ooooooh --- this is my first view of the beach today.  (As a side note, NOTHING has been done to this picture.  It really does look this way upon our arrival --- with a storm heading in, it will likely change quick, but I truly love seeing this.)




Lydia get unpacked and the house set up for the others in about an hours time and then others begin to join us.  Ms. Sharron has been thought about all year and gifts are abundant on her bed.

As soon as she graces the beach house, she is sent into her room to see all the goodies.  Such love.


She started a joke about sharks a couple of years ago and we have all just run with it through the years.  Traditions must be continued and she is raking in the fun this year.  From a shark tail snuggie to slippers to an apron and oven mitt and on . . . Fun runneth amok.  I loved these slippers when I first spotted them and seeing her wear them makes me love them even more.  I gave her the list of all who contributed to them and I thank you all for helping make this so fun.

The day passes quick and as soon as all are here, a trip to the Red Snapper for dinner and then back to the house to actually start working on something.

Janet has our first TA-DA of the retreat.



I have claimed a spot on the sofa with several others as we are handwork only this week.  Perfect!  My red/white embroidery block is first up and thus, the evening is spent chatting, laughing, chatting, laughing . . . You get the scene right?  I even manage to make the last man standing picture.  That won't happen for all 10 nights, I promise.  See ya'll tomorrow.

8th - Sunrises make my soul so happy so I am up this morning hoping to see one for the first time in many months.  We just don't live in a spot where I have the opportunity often.  Thus, my eyeballs are open at an early hour and off we go down the beach.  It may not be too glorious of one today with all the cloud cover, but something is better than nothing.


Ahhhhh --- there's that nourishment I need for my soul.  The sound of the waves as the water hits the shore and the beauty of dawn's light reflecting make me just want to sit down and stay forever.  I was right, though, and this is about the best we get today.  There will be more opportunities, I'm sure.


Back to the house and people are settling into various locations around the room, preparing to happily work on projects while basking in the joy of the beach all at the same time.

This is the one retreat where we work on so many varied types of projects.  Some won't touch a quilt the entire time they are here and others will put together multiple tops.  It's just whatever makes each one happy.

Scenes from the room:




Sharron treats us all to Blue Hawaiians in the afternoon.  We have taken a vow not to make these at any other retreats, so they really are special down here.

It's nice outside and beach quilts are being finished all around the room AND on the deck.

We're hoping for a great picture of them all together.  Today would have been perfect for it, but too many are still in the finishing stages, including my own.

After dinner, we are off for an evening beach walk.  Each year we do this at least once as a group and tonight seems as good a night as any.  The sun is setting and the colors are beautiful  Come along with us.


I photograph this house each year and want to keep the tradition going.  The water is not quite smooth enough for a fantastic reflection, but I'll keep it.

When we return, Maria has quilts to hand out that she has completed the quilting on.  It's show and share time and since mine is one of them, I can hardly sit still.  Opting to stand and take pictures works for me.

First up is one she completed for Frieda.  I adore these little house and trees.  If I was back in Montana, ohhhh and owned a cabin, ohhhh, I would be under it each and every night.


Now it is Lori's turn to receive.  As soon as she sees it, she decides that it is no longer a gift.  She's keeping this one and I don't blame her a bit.


And finally, my turn arrives.  Maria starts by showing the back.  Tease.  I can already tell the quilting is magnificent.  This is perhaps the kindest gift and a perfect time in my life.  I do indeed feel the love.



Okay, okay --- I have tears and know you just want to see the finished product.  If you can enlarge this and check out the quilting up close, you really should.  Incredible is not a strong enough word.  Each block, each little strip --- all are unique and enhance the story being told.


Moving on, Angie with a TA-DA and Maria working on a cross stitch that fits in a mug.  There appears to be a slight slant taking place.


I have finished my first red/white block of the two I brought here and have my own little TA-DA moment.  Only one block to go and I can move forward on this quilt.


And with that, I'm done for the night.  When I rise with the sun, I'm done a bit earlier.  So be it.  Party on y'all.  Rocky does post a last man standing picture for me to steal.  Fun times.

9th - Good morning.  No sunrise for me today.  If there was one, I missed it and now, the weather is changing.  A really large storm is moving in and the forecast says we will have several days of rain.  Rain on the beach is not the worst thing as long as it breaks up now and then to get out of the house.

Everyone has again taken up locations around the house and are working on so many wonderful things.  Frieda is smocking a little girl's dress and it is going to be incredible.  I am crazy jealous of her ability to do that beautiful detailed work.  (What a messy background for a picture - wow.)


Stephanie has a TA-DA --- love it so much.


Jennifer S. with her beach quilt TA-DA


While standing at the window talking, I notice a fin in the water and KNOW that the dolphins are visiting.  Within moments we are all outside watching.  There are six of them and they are happily putting on a show for us.  I don't have a camera with me, but Sherri does and manages to get a couple of pictures.  They are moving rapidly and it's hard to follow with a lens.



My beach quilt TA-DA -- binding is on and sewn down.  It is finished.



Last year, after the beach retreat, several of us decided to have a beach pillow exchange this year and it's TIME!!!  All the pillows are out and I've devised the fairest way I can come up with to play this out.  Each person is given a chance to drawn a number from a cup.  That number indicates the ORDER they will draw numbers for their actual pillow (numbers are on the pillows).  Several ladies are in the second group and I draw for them so that they get a fair chance as well.


Each person then draws a number of a pillow to take home with them.  Lydia and I have drawn these two pillows and are they not just divine?  Both a beautifully paper pieced.  Every single person just did a wonderful job on their pillows.  Mine went to Stephanie and added to her already over packed car.  Oops.

Here comes the storm.  It's moving in fast and I think we are in for some wet times.


Sam needs to go due to work, so we quickly put together a group picture before the rain really sends us inside.  I'm gathering everyone and missing one.  Oh Sherri, where are you.  She hollers from upstairs that she needs five minutes but everyone outside is already starting to get sprinkled on and they are making that known.  I tell her she doesn't have five minutes, she asks for two and I still say no.  Well, dang.  She just marches down the stairs and out the door in a towel.  Well, alrighty then.  Perhaps I should have given her the 2 minutes.  Trying to cover her with a quilt just makes matters worse and the picture is taken as the rain is imminent.  Between Sharron's shark head (gifted by Sherri) and Sherri's strapless terry cloth dress, this picture will go down as the BEST GROUP PICTURE EVER.

Far back:  Lori  Back row:  Lydia, Janet, Mindy, Stephanie, Jennifer M., Fawn, Samantha, Marcia  Center:  Sherri, Paula, Jennifer S., Meri, Maria, Debi, Frieda   Front row:  Rocky, Angie, Sharron and, yes, I'm here but taking pictures this year.  Thank you ladies, you all enrich my life so very much.


Paula with a TA-DA


Our storm today is short-lived and we are able to get back outside for a bit.  People are on the deck and some of us opt to take a quick trip to see if shell beach still exists.  I have my doubts, but it is worth a check.  The beach is indeed no longer.  Well, that's not an accurate statement.  The beach still exists but the shells are long gone, either claimed or washed back out to sea.  I do spot a hermit crab though and grab a quick photo.


Small barnacles on the rocks as well.


Sherri sees the crab and while I wander off to see if there are ANY shells hiding, she takes up residency to see if she can get a better picture.  Score.

I THINK almost everyone is gathered at once for a meal.  Perhaps.


Paula is talking and just falls asleep sitting up.  I have to laugh because when she wakes, she denies sleeping until I show her the picture.

Cards at the table and the results of a funny story earlier in the day.  What happens at the beach, stays at the beach, but those who were there will never see the letters OPA in the same light again.


And another day is a wrap.  Yep, I am Kilroy these days.  Sleep well and we'll all be back for more fun tomorrow.


10th -  Good morning!  The sky is crazy cool this morning.  Take a peek.



Debi has a TA-DA -- her Nifty Thrifty from the group quilt-a-long



We are missing Val so very much and I took a picture of Sherri where she was channeling her inner Val.  She thought I was making a video and kept waving.  Silly girl.

Paula with her beach top TA-DA

Jennifer M. with a TA-DA


Jennifer M. beach quilt TA-DA


Followed by Lydia with her beach top TA-DA


We are ready for the picture -- will the weather cooperate?  This is the best we get but I love it so much.


Sherri has been working on some Christmas cards.  These are just so fun and the buttons Lydia gifted to everyone are already being put to use.


It's awards time!  We have a couple of advancements and since that is really the ONLY ritual we maintain while down here --- drumroll please . . .   Meri is RUBY


And Lydia is EMERALD - Congrats to both.


I have no idea what was out there, but love this picture.


Lori with her Autumn Splendor Clue 2 TA-DA


Fawn TA-DA - I remember these from the FIRST retreat she attended.


Maria TA-DA


And another day is gone.  So am I.  Here's your last man standing group.


11th - The rain has stopped just a bit and I can get out and see what is what.  We have puddles everywhere!!




And that's how we bring beach retreat weekend one to a close.  Wow.  More water on the way and lots of inside time ahead.  It's tweener time.  Thank you so much to all who attended this weekend --- loved being with you and can't wait for next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment