Thursday, September 13, 2018

Surfside Beach Retreat Tweeners

11th - This afternoon begins "tweener time."  The time between two retreats.  It's when we kick back.  No one really cooks.  Everyone is on their own.  Naps ensue, beach walks reign supreme, and bonds are formed that will last forever.   Hahahaha --- waxing philosophical here, but it is all entirely true.  Come along and peek in on our free days.  It's pretty carefree and unstructured.

First thing I notice is that there is a shark in my shower.  Perhaps it has been here all along, but today it has caught my eye.  Oh Sharron . . .

I'm not really up to a walk this morning, but others definitely want to go and play in the rain.




Do ya'll think that if your hair gets wet you will melt?  Cough, cough -- Marcia, Meri.


Maria is happily ensconced on the sofa and cranking out her little woolies like clockwork.  TA-DA!


And there are a couple of quilt TA-DA's too.  First up is Angie -


Then Lori


And Paula


Our afternoon treat from nature is a gorgeous complete rainbow.  It's so big I can barely capture it with my phone.


The sky changes color quite rapidly during this time and goes from blue to gold


to pink --- how fun it is to watch.


And just because it always helps to look behind oneself, the sunset taking place is pretty spectacular too.


About this time, Paula decides to go for a walk on the beach.  The waves are crazy and we have very little walk-able beach remaining.  However, nothing stops this lady and her walking stick.

Back inside the house, Rocky has some Lychee fruit that she is enjoying and the talk that ensures has people laughing through tears.  Again, what happens at the beach stays there (for the most part) but no one will ever look at these the same again.


I have done it!  OMG.  I've been here 5 days and just before midnight I finish the second block.  I am so glad to have these behind me now.  Onto something else.  And a different color or two.  Whew.


Good night from Surfside --- yep, I'm taking the picture tonight.  However, it IS definitely bed time.


12th -  The ocean is angry today.  Honest.  We have ladies leaving this morning and they are trying to beat the storm and get the heck out of here.  As they load, they are totally drenched by the amount of water coming off the room.  Wow.

Oh, and, naturally, someone (no names mentioned FAWN) has managed to leave an entire bag again.  It just wouldn't be a retreat for her without tidbits for us.  Since it is her project bag, perhaps we'll just all divvy it up and share in the spoils.  Naw -- we'll get it back to her somehow, somewhere.  Crazy lady.

Maria has another woolie TA-DA!!  This is what happens when we meld with the sofa cushions and can no longer move.


Best line from today:  "How do I spider?"

Paula joins in with another TA-DA as well.  This has been a good retreat for her in the project finishing department.


Rocky, Stephanie, and Lori are out on the beach for a bit and share these delightful pictures upon their return.  I also hear tell that swimming in clothing took place, but I have never seen the evidence.  Kung Fu Rocky.  I''m not sure who will win.  Look at the way the crab has it's claws up in response.  Perfect.


GREAT picture Lori.  From the rain dotted sand to the perfect eye to eye stare down.


I worked on my Whimm's blocks today - stealing Sherri's machine for a bit to sew the seams.  I have also started another tea towel.  Lots of starts and no finishes for me today.

Yep, I'm up again for last man standing.  Why can't I do this during the actual retreat?  Fun and games near the design wall and Lori's masterpiece.



13th -  Our ocean is still not very happy today, so I thought I'd share the sound at least.


I am inside working on my Whimm's blocks.  I have people arriving again this afternoon and will not have as much of a chance to monopolize the ironing board.  The appliques are going on and TA-DA.


It is clearing up a bit outside.  The race is on to get out and walk for a bit.  I am sooooo ready.



The stuff we find on the beach.  Last year it was a Barbie, this year a baby doll.  Where on earth will this one end up?

The ocean has brought crazy foam into the shore.  It is like soap bubbles and when the sun hits them just right, they have all the colors of the rainbow inside.  I wish the camera could replicate it.

Hey ladies --- fun times on the beach and memories being made.


Back inside, another Maria TA-DA


After lunch, we are back out again before the new ladies arrive.  Our ocean is still unhappy and we have minimal beach to walk on, but it feels glorious to just wander along.



And with that, our tweener time comes to an end.  It's time to gear up and prepare for round two.  Thank you so much to all my wonderful 10 day gals --- I look forward to this each year.  Say hello to this year's tweeners:

Maria, Debi, Rocky, Me, Lydia, Lori, Marcia, Angie, Meri, Paula, Frieda, and Mindy.  This was a big group this year and will likely not be this big again, but what fun we have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment