Monday, September 17, 2018

Surfside Beach Retreat 2

13th -  Round two ladies have arrived and we're off again.  Tonight is dinner at the Purple Cow.  I have not been to this restaurant before although many have.  It's a deconstructed burger for me and fries.  Oh so yummy fries. 


After dinner, we discover that the ocean is providing sea foam like crazy.  It is coming in waves and packing up on the beach.  A little research shows that it is not at all harmful to humans and, in fact, is a sign of a healthy ecosystem.  Might as well have a little fun with it.






The rest of the evening is spent getting everyone settled in and soon machines are humming and projects are in various stages of production.  I have completed my tea towel and moved onto the last one of these 1998 UFO's.

We're calling it a night.  See ya'll tomorrow.

14th - Although it is still dreary out, we are able to walk first thing in the morning.  No beautiful sunrise earlier due to the rain and clouds, but still it's decent enough for meandering.  As we are out on the beach, several groups of pelicans just hover directly over us.  Do we look like breakfast?


Today's ocean delivery.  A piece of wood that appears to be growing hair.  Creepy, but cool.


Ladies on the move.


Debi locates some clams and shows us just how cool they are.  As we watch, they slowly make their way back into the sand.  Yes, we all watch until the last one is gone from sight.


Toes and clams


Friends are the BEST!!!  These ladies just lift me up repeatedly.  I would be absolutely lost without them in my life.


After our wonderful adventure this morning, Maria is ready for another presentation.  This time it is for Eveline.


Someone is sleepy today.


Debi with her Texas Tumbleweed TA-DA


Dinner provides the opportunity for advancements while everyone is together.  Marcia is RUBY!!


As is Frieda -- RUBY!!


All the hard work --- no Sharron around to make the Blue Hawaiians for this group so I take on the task, even making a virgin version for those who do not wish to partake of alcohol.  AND . . . the last tea towel is DONE!!  Woohoo.  They are out of my tote and ready to use or gift.


Maria with another woolie TA-DA


And I'm off to bed.  Didn't make the last man standing picture, but others did.  Night everyone.  (Some stayed up even after this picture --- talking about Lydia who worked on the design wall until almost 3:30 a.m.)


15th -  Good morning.  The first thing I see as I leave my room is Lydia's quilt top.  This is what kept her up until the wee hours last night.  It's so fun.


And LOOK!!!  It appears that the weather may be changing a bit.



As I'm taking those pictures, flocks of pelicans keep soaring overhead.  LOTS of them and HUGE flocks.  I am enthralled and follow along with them, wishing I could fly too.  Meanwhile, inside, Paula is busy watching me.


Sherri and Marcia are making bowl cozies and Rocky steps in to entertain for a few.


The end result?


Stephannie with a Row x Row TA-DA - Diggin' the boots.


And I need some "me" time.  When my emotions run high and tears are just right on the surface, it is best to get away.  Hello water, sun, and sand.  You never fail to lift me up, even through the tears.


Debi K beach quilt TA-DA


And the second group picture.  The wind is NOT cooperating at all today and this is the best I got from over 30 pictures.  I still love it though.  Each quilt has the same blocks in it, but all are uniquely different.


Lori with double TA-DA's - yep twins, almost.


Paula's TA-DA


Followed by a pillowcase to go with her beach quilt.  Hmmmm -- I wonder if I have enough matching fabrics.

I tell everyone to get ready to take the group picture and Sherri does NOT wish a repeat of last week so she is the first one out there and takes her group picture of ONE while I am busy trying to locate everyone and get them outside.  It's nice out and we need to take advantage.  Others gather at the rail while waiting on the stragglers to join in.


The suggestion is made that if I take the picture from above, we'll have the ocean in the background better.  Um, no BUT it is a cool shot.


Here we go -- complete with ocean background.  Yep, I'm perched on a bar stool.  Whatever works.  Look at these amazing faces.  Love everyone so much.

Group two is:  Far back:  Lori  Back Row:  Britney, Stephannie, Angie, Meri, Rocky, Sherri, Lydia, Paula, Mindy, Marcia, and Debi   Front Row:  Frieda, Gail, Maria, Gilley, Eveline, and Leanne.  Amazing, amazing women.


Gilley's current project on the wall


For our evening entertainment, we are off to the jetty after dinner.  I believe we will have a decent sunset tonight and our fingers are crossed that we will not get carried away by mosquitoes.  All goes well and we are indeed rewarded for our hike out.  Enjoy the eye candy.



As far as we can go --- I'm here too -- just taking the picture this year.  There needs to be a charm for reaching the very end.


It's a gorgeous night.  No bugs to speak of and nature providing her own show.  A dolphin even showed up to gift us for taking the time to be out here.


The night is just spent enjoying each other and happily working away.  Lori with another TA-DA


Debi and Marcia are packing up to go (so sad) but Debi has completed her goal.  SIXTY pea pods.  WOW.  I hope they sell well in her booth this year.


My project for the day has been to work on a couple of quiet book pages.  I think I have three of them ready to place onto their backings and stitch down. 



And this night is a wrap.  I'm off to bed and literally still standing in my room when they decide to take the last man standing picture -- RIGHT OUTSIDE MY DOOR. 


16th -  It's BEAUTIFUL!  I am up early and off to watch the sunrise.  Thank goodness the weather broke and we can enjoy moments like this.


Here she comes --- so, so beautiful.


A little higher still


And BAM --- it's up.  I was trying to get a picture of the ladies watching so my focus was there.  If you notice, Maria has her camera up and


Her focus was sublime.  I'm pretty sure we took these at the exact same moment, judging by the bird wings on both birds.


One 90 degree turn and it's lighter out.


Back towards the sunrise.  So beautiful and I'm so glad I'm here to enjoy it.


It's definitely a day for friendship.  We all need each other now and then.  My purple polka dot jammies were a gift from Rocky this retreat and I adore them.  It's time for a haircut -- looks like a football helmet on me.


Today I am working on some Row x Row's from 2015.  I'm thinking I'll use them in an upcoming backing.  First up is this one from AZ.  I'll have to stitch the upper pieces and do the applique stitching when I get home.


However, all is coming to a stop right now.  It's time to get some swimming or bobbing in.  It's bobbing weather.  The water has calmed down and is turning blue once again.  Hallelujah. 




After a delightful and refreshing time in the water, I am ready to settle in and get another block worked on.  This one will also need the sides stitched on when back home and then the applique stitching to complete it. 


For the last block, all I can do is cut everything out - for that I've opted to enjoy the deck and a Guinness.  Seems like a great combo.

While sitting there, Meri has her TA-DA and down I go for a picture.

Her Christmas tablecloth is finished and ready to brighten her home this year.  She says it's the biggest thing she has ever made and I believe her.  Way to go Meri.

I spent several days here helping Rocky and Lori make Featherweight bags and then Rocky helped Angie do one as well.  Here is their TA-DA


And here's what happens when someone else interferes.


Lori TA-DA -- she has really cranked them out this week.


Stephannie TA-DA with her Row x Rows


Eveline has trimmed and bound her chicken quilt.  TA-DA


The sad part has arrived.  Most people are packed up and ready to load cars in the morning.  The happy benefit is that all that's left to do is sit around and chat.  The work will come tomorrow.




Okay, so here's one story I WILL share.  Paula has been talking about a missing pair of shorts the entire weekend.  They have been found - along with a shirt and bra.  Leanne sends them flying at Paula while she sits on the couch and does so with a stripper's tune ---


Maria with the last TA-DA at the beach.  Santa Woolie.


I'm done.  I have a ton of work tomorrow morning and just can't hang with these gals anymore tonight.  See ya on the flip side.  Meri, are you taking a selfie during the selfie?


17th -  It's another early day.  My last chance to see a sunrise for awhile and I am going to take advantage once again.  My partner in crime today is Rocky and we are sooooooo rewarded for our effort.  The minute we venture outside, the colors are bursting at us.


Wow, just wow.


A little sand play --- it's dark, but hopefully you can read it.  Quilt Sisters 4-Ever, '18


From the deck -- now to get to work.


Once everything is cleaned up, put back in place and our cars are loaded, we are physically ready to say good-bye to the beach.  I can't speak for mentally.  Good-bye Surfside, until next year.  Surfside out. 

2 comments: