Saturday, September 29, 2018

Autumn Splendor - Clue 5


Oooooh, it's already week FIVE!!!  Wow.  Now it really starts getting exciting and bigger things are just around the corner.

My yard has started showing some of the colors from this week.  LOVE the pampas grass but mine is nothing compared to the ones I just saw at my MIL's house.  Oh my!  Yes, creamy neutrals definitely belong with fall colors.  I DO love the green as well so it must show up somewhere, right?  Hello binding.



Wine makes it's appearance under the pecan tree too.  We are officially one week into Autumn.  Yay!


I guess we should just jump right in.  This is a SIMPLE week regarding cutting.  I wonder if that means we are getting close?  Hmmmm.  At any rate, please read all the way to the bottom before starting.  Sometimes you can answer your own questions with this simple task.  Let's have a great weekend.

Cutting: Here are some notes before cutting:    This is a LEFTOVER week.  BEFORE you start cutting check your leftovers.  Depending on the size of quilt you are making, you may be able to use some up.  For example, I KNOW both sizes have neutral 3 1/2" strips left from clues 1 and 3.  When making 3 1/2" squares, you can get 12 from a strip.  Use that information when checking out what is already available.  The same is true for the 2" strips/squares.  I am sure there is some left from last week.  Notice that all we are cutting are squares.  Lots of bits and pieces can get used.

All strips are assumed to be WOF (width of fabric).

Full Size:

Color 1 (Wine/Red) - 3 (three) - 3 1/2" strips

Color 2 (Gold) -  1 (one) - 2" strip (you need 35") THEN subcut into 17 - 2" squares AND 8 (eight) 2 1/2" strips  --- Yep, gold is getting low.  Use those leftovers -- you will only need gold 1/2" strips from here on.

Color 3 (Brown) - 2 (two) - 2" strips (you need 70") THEN subcut into 34 - 2" squares

Color 4 (Orange) - 1 (one) - 2" strip (you need 35") THEN subcut into 17 - 2" squares

Color 5 (Neutrals) - 9 (nine) - 3 1/2" strips

Smaller Size:

Color 1 (Wine/Red) - 1 (one) - 3 1/2" strip

Color 2 (Gold) - 1 (one) - 2" strip (you need 20") THEN subcut into 9 - 2" squares AND 6 (six) 2 1/2" strips.

Color 3 (Brown) - 1 (one) - 2" strip (you need 40") THEN subcut into 18 - 2" squares

Color 4 (Orange) - 1 (one) - 2" strip (you need 20") THEN subcut into 9 - 2" squares

Color 5 (Neutral) - 2 (two) - 3 1/2" strips


Just put these aside for now.


I want all cutting out of the way for this week so grab those 3 1/2" strips and start cutting squares.  You will need 104 (24 for smaller) Neutral 3 1/2" squares


And 26 (6 for smaller) Wine 3 1/2" squares.


Perfect.  Now we can really do some sewing.


Please gather up all of your Unit 3, 4, and 5's.


It's time to make some more blocks.  This one is an 8-Grid Chain block.  Say that three times really fast.  First up is Block B.
Block B - make 4 (large)/2 (small)

As usual, I start by laying out all my blocks in little stacks.  It also allowed me to discover three units walking to their own tune.  Drat.


Onto Block B.  Now, because I have already gone over how to put blocks together, I'm not going to show each step of the way.  I'll simply say that you should press towards the center at all times.  Make sure that your LITTLE four-patch squares are in the outer corners WITH the diagonal going towards the center.  This holds true for ALL blocks today.



You're block "should" measure 9 1/2".



And a finished block.


Repeat as needed and then onto Block C.


Block C - make 10 (large)/ZERO (small)

Layout


Sewn


Moving on -
Block D - make 6 (large)/2(small)

Layout


Here's a sneak peek of behind the scenes.  I work many blocks at once using the webbing method.  As you can see from the heights of the stacks on my design board, I am in various stages of production.  I also work more than one block at a time -- if the design board empties, I just bring in the next layout.  Finished Block D.

We're getting there.  Only one more to go.
Block E - make 6 (large)/2 (small)

Layout


Finish


Today's lovely blocks are all ready to play.  What will we do with them?  No hints today.


We are going to play with the bricks from last week (Units 14 and 16) a bit more today.  THE 5" bricks of units 14 and 16 are the only ones you need this week.  Do NOT use the shorter bricks.  You'll also use the squares you cut earlier.

Divide each stack of the gold and orange units exactly in half and place as so.  You don't HAVE to do this but I have a certain degree of organization in my life and knowing that I make the right amount of something is important to me.  I may not have cut the right amount of squares and then I'd have mayhem on my hands.  Hahahaha.  I think I'm getting rummy and should stop writing.



First up - either draw lines or press and fold on the diagonal all of the little squares you cut.  Nope, I didn't take a picture.  Just do it.

Now, naturally, my picture above does not match my graphics or following pictures because I JUST stated that I like organization.  It's a test, I tell ya.  At any rate, you can move yours around because apparently I did.




Unit 14a - Make 17 (large)/ 9 (small)


Starting with the first stack of gold, lay your unit on it's side as shown, match the angle of the brown/neutral end and lay as so.


Open for you sew guideline.


Stitch one thread inside the guideline


Trim the excess.  Save or pitch, your choice.


Make sure that you have indeed maintained a 2" x 5" rectangle.  Trim if necessary.  Press to the gold.


Unit 14b - Make 17 (large)/ 9 (small)


The second stack of gold will receive a brown sew and flip following the exact same directions as above.



I thought I'd show you that even on the dark brown, my fold line shows up just fine.  I don't have any issues seeing where I need to sew.  Yep, you can tell I'm chaining away.  Finished the first group and moving on.


Unit 16a - Make 17 (large)/ 9 (small)


It's the first orange stacks turn and since I'm working with brown squares, I'll just finish them up.  Repeat process exactly -- MATCHING ANGLE for your layout -- only pressing to the brown.




Unit 16b - Make 17 (large)/ 9 (small)

The second (and last) stack of orange.  Repeat with gold corners and press to the gold.





I'm REALLY close to finishing and it's sweetie time.  He shows up with a gentle reminder.  Go girl, go.  Only 10 left


Ahhhh -- breathing a sigh here.  All the units are finished for tonight and while watching AGT, I trimmed all the seams.  Look at all those tiny possibilities.


I'm calling this clue complete.  We're making great progress.  I wonder how many clues are left.  Time will tell.

It's another week for creativity.  What else can you work on?  This month is coming to an end and I don't think I've met all my goals yet.  I'll be sewing the day away.  You can still meet up with us in the Facebook group - here's your LINK TO JOIN.  Share your pretties.  Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment