Saturday, September 15, 2018

Autumn Splendor - Clue 3


I have had ample opportunities over the years to photograph this time of year.  Last year, my view from the back door is the inspiration for today's clue.  Just look at the way these browns, golds, oranges and wines play on nature's canvas.  Ahhh, my  heart.

I am still at the beach with an amazing group of women and hoping for at least one sunset picture with these gorgeous colors in it.  I'll sure be trying.

Those who have done previous mysteries with me know that I really like to build as we go.  Today we will have some fun with some of the units already created and create a few more too.  It's a rather easy week so just enjoy the process and bask in the colors.



Please read all the way to the bottom before starting.  It is so easy to miss things and then have to fix mistakes.  I want this journey to be FUN.

Cutting: (Both sizes make the same number of units this week except for the first unit, but cutting remains the same. ) Here are some notes before cutting:     IF you have at least a 6" of  a leftover 1 1/2" strip of orange and wine from clues 1 and 2, don't cut the 1/2 strip listed and use that up instead.  If you have 12" (or 2 (two) - 6" pieces) of a leftover 1 1/2" strip of gold you will reduce the cutting list by one strip.  I'm a user upper so always will let you know if you can be frugal too.

All strips are assumed to be WOF (width of fabric).

Color 1 (Wine) - 1 (one) 5 1/2" strip AND 1 (one) 4 1/2" strip AND 1 1/2 (one and one-half) 1 1/2" strips

Color 2 (Gold) - 5 (five) 1 1/2" strips

Color 3 (Brown) - 4 (four) 1 1/2" strips AND 1 (one) 3 1/2" strip (This strip is being used for the triangle in a square unit and I am using Tri-Recs rulers.  If you are using another method, such as the Quilt in a Day, Quilt Sense Wonder, Crafter's Companion or any others, please follow their directions to get a 3 1/2" unit.)

Color 4 (Orange) - 1 (one) 4 1/2" strip AND 4 1/2 (four and one-half) 1 1/2" strips

Color 5 (neutrals) - 4 (four) 3 1/2" strips  (Some of these strips are being used for the triangle in a square unit and I am using Tri-Recs rulers.  If you are using another method, such as the Quilt in a Day, Quilt Sense Wonder, Crafter's Companion or any others, please follow their directions to get a 3 1/2" unit.)

And we're off.  Get out those Tri-Recs rulers.  Look at them and, if you are like me, stop shaking.  The first time I used these rulers in 2014, I thought I'd lose my mind.  I could never get my units to come out right.  THEN I learned the correct way to use them.  What a difference!  These are amazing rulers once you learn how to use them correctly.  I PROMISE!  I'll share some really detailed instructions with ya'll.

Unit 6 - Make 17 for large/9 for small

Let's start with two 3 1/2" strips of neutral and one 3 1/2" strip of brown.  That's all you'll need for this.


Starting with the Tri Tool as shown.  Place the 3 1/2" line on the bottom edge of your strip.  (Mine is just showing you the line - it needs to move to the left so that the whole triangle fits.  The second picture just didn't turn out and I'm sorry.)  This cut will leave you with a small piece of waste from the left side.


Notice how the top of the ruler is flat.  Yep, we are once again simply losing the dog ear and saving ourselves from cutting those odd sized strips.  Cut your first unit.


Now, simply place the tool upside down and repeat the entire procedure, lining up with the cut previously made.  No waste.


Repeat the first cut process and continue until all of your units have been cut.  That means 17 for the larger (this will take most of the strip) and 9 for the smaller (you will have more left, obviously.)  Whew, take a breath and the first part of this is over.  Onto the tricky piece.


With your neutral strips, place right sides together as we need mirrored pairs.


Now for the Recs Tool.  It will also line up with the 3 1/2" lower edge of your fabric and the left side will be even with the edge of your strips.


Here's the AHA moment.  Look at the very top of this ruler.  Do you see that little tiny notch?  It's important.


Cut your unit on the right side and then cut that little notch.


Next flip the ruler upside down and cut with the 3 1/2" mark at the top along the right edge all the way to the bottom.  THEN cut the little notch.


See the cuts AND the little notches I have removed.  One would think, "How can this possibly make a difference?"  Well, you're about to find out. On a side note --- there WILL be almost an entire strip left for the large and likely 1 3/4 strips for the smaller.  It made cutting directions easier for me AND all of this will be used in upcoming clues.  Just set it aside for this week.


 Continue cutting until you have 17 mirrored pair for the large and 9 for the smaller size.  You should now have cute little stacks to work with.


Moving on.  Lay out your unit as shown.  This is how it will come together and you're going to make just one or two to start, right?  Learn and test to make sure your seam and size are right before getting frustrated in the end.


Using the section on the right, lay it onto the center piece with right sides together as shown.  LOOK at the little notch.  It will line up perfectly with the upper edge of the fabric when it is placed EXACTLY where it needs to be.


Starting at the upper edge, stitch your seam.  The neutral point WILL extend beyond the brown fabric.


 Press to the light!  I know, counter-intuitive.  See how the upper edge came out even and you can still see the little notch.  It will wind up inside the seam allowance and won't make a difference at all in the finished product.  It's amazing, right?  Yes, there is a dog ear at the bottom.  There's supposed to be. Now for the unit on the left side.


Flip it onto the left side as we did with the right side and, again, make sure that your little notch lines up with the upper edge of the fabric.


Stitch and press to the light.  Measure - you need a 3 1/2" unit.  Trim the dog ears off.

Yay!!  Now, let's rock and roll.  Just chain away, always carefully placing that notch and you'll get through these in no time at all.  After all, there are only 17 (9) of them to do.


And this is now behind us along with the Tri-Recs Rulers.  Put them away.


Subcut the remaining 2 Neutral strips into 24 (twenty-four) 3 1/2" squares - this will use the entire strips.



See what I had leftover? (it's just the fold)


Next - The remaining pieces -


Subcut the 4 1/2" orange strip into 4 (four) 4 1/2" squares.  The remaining strip will be used in a later clue.



Subcut the 4 1/2" wine strip into 4 (four) 4 1/2" x 9 1/2" bricks.  A small amount will be leftover, again just set it aside for later.


Subcut the 5 1/2" wine strip into 4 (four) 5 1/2" squares.  Once again, set the remainder aside for a later clue.


Now just label and set these parts aside too as we are not using them during this clue.  I just wanted to have the fabric ready for later.


Now, let's sew a bit.  All that are remaining are 1 1/2" strips.


We're going to do some simple sewing of strips for the next part of this clue.

Unit 7 (make 8)

You will need 1 1/2 strips (unless using small 6" sections as noted above) of each orange, wine, and brown and 2 strips of gold (again, unless as noted above).  Lay them out as shown.  You need two set ups like this and remember that one of them may only be 6" long.  I did not plan ahead well and used full strips.



Sew each strip set together so that you have a strip measuring 4 1/2" and cut those into 8 (eight) 5 1/2" cuts.  (You should get 7 cuts from the WOF strip set)  Yes - 4 1/2" x 5 1/2" -- I know it's an odd size.


All remaining strips are cut to 24" lengths and the smaller section set aside for a later clue.

Unit 8 - (Make 4)

Lay out the remaining strips as shown and sew together.  I pressed as I added each row and the pressing directions and picture are below.


Do you have 9 1/2"?  If not, fix it now.  I was slightly off (too big) and had to take a couple of seams in a bit.  No, I didn't rip them out, just resewed a slightly larger seam.


Subcut into 4 (four) 5 1/2" segments.  I had pressed as I added each strip so that I would get the directions correct.  (up, up, up, up, down, down, up, up)  YES, it matters. (You can see where I had to take a couple of seams again --- those little single threads add up and will throw your measurements off, I promise.

Here are the final units for this part of the clue today.  (No, we're not finished, keep reading.)


Now, let's build some blocks.  Woohoo.  My favorite part and do you know why?  Just nine-patches - so easy peasy.
Block A - (Make 12)

You will need units 1 and 2 from Clue 1 and the Neutral squares cut at the beginning of this clue.


This is the Road to California Block and I LOVE it.  Lay out your pieces as shown.


I am going to show you how to web blocks but you are free to assemble yours in whatever method makes you happy.  I web because it's harder to get pieces turned the wrong way or out of order.  I usually start by stacking all the parts on top of each other as shown.  Twelve in each stack.


Here we go.  Taking from the two left columns lay out these units beside your machine.



Flip the right onto the left as shown.


Chain stitch all three units one right after another.


Open it up (no pressing yet, just twitch and move on).  Add the remaining column to your layout.


Flip the right pieces onto the middle section as shown.


And chain all three pieces at once again.



Now, you have a webbed block.  If you hold it up, you'll see that all parts are attached and going the right direction.


Lay it down.  Still no pressing.


Flip the top section down.


And sew.  I found in nesting the seams that letting the nine patches lay and turning the seam towards the HST worked best for me.  Yep, I developed the picture the wrong way.  It happens.


Your lay out should be this now.  (I'll fix that one seam, I promise.)


Next, flip the lower section up. (Again development issues - what can I say?  It's 4:00 a.m.) I have to use the program when my sweetheart is not working.


And repeat the process for this side, nesting the same way - towards the HST's.



NOW you can press your block.  Does it measure 9 1/2"?  (See, I fixed the corners)




And a finished block.  Now repeat 11 more times and you are finished.  If you feel comfortable, you can chain two blocks (or more) at once in the process, just keep working off your stack.


TA-DA --- I think these are so fun.


This week is Finished and look how much you've accomplished already.  I'm so loving all of this together.  I wonder what awaits next weekend?  I promise --- NO angled ruler of any kind.  How's that sound?  Until then, stay creative ya'll.  See ya'll next week.  Please make sure to share in the Facebook group - here's your LINK TO JOIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment