Monday, May 23, 2016

Roll Roll Cotton Boll - Clue 6 - Bonnie Hunter - Mystery Quilt

The weeks for this mystery are simply flying by.  I'm doing my best to stay caught up, but fell a few days behind this time.  Perseverance is the name of the game, though, and today my clue 6 units are finished.  Yes, I'm patting myself on the back.  Somebody should, right?

This week our task was to make 5-packs from the bazillion half-square triangles of last week AND attach triangles to the threesies that we made in the very first clue.  Imagine my excitement when I go to the project box and discover that oh so long ago, I had actually cut the brown squares I would need for the triangles.  Oh yeah.  I am indeed ready for a happy dance.

Out comes my Easy Angle Ruler and just like that --- I have hundreds of little brown triangles.  I think I'll do the 5-packs first and then come back to play with these.



The hardest part about this step is to make sure that I have TWENTY different neutrals in four strips.  I start in and then discover that it is going to take way too long to do this unless I sort the neutrals into stacks.  Once that is accomplished, I start zipping these together.

I'm loving them and trying to keep them in bundles of four for each block so that I won't have to go through again and make sure that the neutrals are all different.  As you can see, I am using teal for the red in the pattern.

At some point, I notice that I can no longer get away with different neutrals in the 5-packs.  Since my craziness doesn't want duplicates, what's a girl to do?


Answer:  unstitch the remaining HST's and give them new triangles from the remains of cutting for Talkin' Turkey.  Yep, overcut there and luckily I can make them work here.  Okay, now it's back to making the HST's again but I"m happy so it's worth it.  As the last 5-pack goes through the machine, I start adding the brown triangles to my threesies.  First one side -- then the other.


This step goes easy and I am simply left with pressing and removing the dog ears.  The pressing takes me over an hour and I decide to let the dogs continue to hear for awhile.  I need to get onto clue 7.  Come along with me and make some blocks.  That's all I have for today but always remember that if you click on the summary tab at the top of the blog, you will be able to follow a link to purchase Bonnie's book if you wish to play along. See ya next week.

1 comment:

  1. Making great progress! Love the purple too. And I recognize the green scraps you were cutting up while we were at Maria's. Hugs, Allison

    ReplyDelete