Friday, February 27, 2015

Orange Crush - Clue #2 - Bonnie Hunter - Mystery Quilt

It's clue day!  Love it.  As I cut the parts for this clue I find that I am loving this quilt more and more.  I have not had to touch a single piece of yardage yet.  It has been a simple matter of using the strips I have been working to build simply from cleaning up after myself over the last year of quilting.  I have full bins of both light and dark 2" strips, 3 1/2" strips and precut 2" squares.  I am indeed doing the happy dance while I start cutting.  Even after using a TON of strips in clue 1, my bin is still quite full and I am able to cut enough for this clue as well.

Once I have everything cut, I dig into my 2" square tin (which is overflowing) and try to pull 145 different squares.  Amazingly enough, I am almost able to do just that.  There are a few duplicates, but oh so very few.




It's time to start sewing.  First up:  let's get these triangles on.  Since I used the Easy Angle ruler, these little beauties fit perfectly and soon my chain is flowing off the back of my new 301 cabinet.  My little two-tone, "CoCo" is zipping through these with a beautiful little purr.  The chains get pressed open and cut apart to prepare for the next piece.

Now for the second triangle.  Again, I am able to easily line these up and start the chain all over again.  I am literally just taking each part from the top of their respective stacks and putting them together.  The only time I make a change is if by some odd chance I have two of the same triangles on the same square.


It's back to the ironing board to press the second triangle open and then a quick trim of the center dog ear.  Oh, aren't these turning out so cute?

Now to match up the larger triangles that were cut and make the final seam.  I am truly loving these blocks and also truly loving the fact that I have been able to use some "hard" fabrics.  You know the ones I am talking about --- the ones you really can't figure out what color they should be.  They are PERFECT in this quilt.  My completed squares are just so fun - I really can't stop smiling.


Clues 1 and 2 are finished and on the tray.  Bring on clue 3.


If you want to play along with this Quiltalong -- please follow this LINK back to Bonnie's website and her original mystery clues.  You can also find all clues by clicking on the Orange Crush tab at the top of this blog.

2 comments:

  1. What fun! I LOVE that kind of sewing...(almost) mindless and feels so productive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is turning out to be oh so fun. I love that we can throw EVERYTHING into it.

      Delete