Friday, December 26, 2014

Grand Illusion Clue #5 - Bonnie Hunter - Mystery Quilt

Ugh.  This is the second time I am writing this post.  My wonderful witty remarks were vanquished with the mere click of a button.  Somehow I managed to create two entries and deleted the completed one instead of the empty post.  Double Ugh.  I will try to somehow recreate.

I know you may find this hard to believe, but I have not thought about the mystery at all since last Friday.  I have been so busy working on gifts and spending time with my sweetie that it just didn't cross my mind.  I did wake this morning around 6:00 and realize that the clue was likely up.  Did I want to get up?  Nope.  Back to sleep for awhile.  At 7:30 I climb out of bed and go to check on the clue.  Twenty-nine four patches!  Yes.  I could not be happier.  I grab some leftover squares and strips and start cutting.  In no time -- seriously, by 8:00 I am starting to sew.




I decide to put the "B" units together first and then move on to the "A" units.    At one point I count the strips and figure I have enough for about 40 blocks.  Oh my, it is time to sew.  Once the strips are sewn together I need to make the subcuts. Working with small strip sets is perfect and I am able to do the subcuts with so much variety by moving the pieces about as I cut.  It turns out that I have enough of the sets to make 28 "A" units.  Not that far off.


Aren't these just oh so sweet.  I LOVE four patches.  They are perhaps my favorite unit to sew.  The are just so cute and easy.  AND I can be very accurate at them.

I hope everyone else is having fun with these and enjoying our "break".  I think "easy" is behind us now and we have work ahead but I am excited for it.

Please link back to Bonnie here.  You can always find my Grand Illusion posts by clicking the tab at the top of the blog.

MY (I am wording it this way because I always make extra units for fun in the back and for variety) piece count thus far: 2, 876 plus 880 in my bonus HST's.  Wow -- I'm impressed with what Bonnie let's us do without realizing it.  So fun.

12 comments:

  1. Compared to some of the previous mysteries, this does feel like a vacation. I only got 2 blocks done today ( it was turkey dinner day here since I worked yesterday) but hope to do some more tomorrow, after a quick visit to the LQS who just posted they are having a sale. So many interruptions..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mary but Bonnie did say ahead of time that this one would be easy. I'm thankful as I am still struggling to finish my other projects. Where does the time go?

      Delete
  2. Tried don't know if it posted, will try again. Name of the quilt at the top of the page. Beautiful colors and pattern. poladydwd(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah --- it is called Wanderlust. It is a Bonnie Hunter pattern that was a mystery class last New Years Day in Plano, TX. It later came out in the July/Aug issue of Quiltmaker magazine. I don't know when it is slated to be available in a book.

      Delete
  3. Don't you just love it when the computer leads us up a creek without a paddle. Your GIMQ is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly still don't know how it all happened but that wasn't the worst of it. I also managed to delete my monthly post and an now trying to rewrite an entire's month of fun. Oh my. Thanks for reading and I so hope it will turn out. I am indeed loving it so far.

      Delete
  4. Your blocks look wonderful all ready for the next clue. You have some very pretty fabrics there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am so convinced that I will stay on top of this one and get it finished right away. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  5. Oh this is going to be a lovely quilt! won't be much longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much. I am hoping the last clue will be out Friday but one never knows for sure.

      Delete
  6. You have some great fabrics in your units. I have no idea where we are going with this although I am surprised to not see any triangle units yet--the last mystery I did was Easy Street which was set on point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. I am loving this quilt so far and hope to stay inspired enough to get it finished right away after the reveal. Wish me luck. Easy Street is one I have not attempted yet. Perhaps next year and I don't mean 2015.

      Delete