Sunday, March 8, 2020

Brazos House Retreat - It's a Slumber Party!

The first of 2020 back-to-back retreats begins today.  It's a foggy morning with the clock showing between 6 and 6:30.  I was hoping for a bit earlier departure, but bed felt really good this morning.  The fog stays with me all the way to the center and the very first thing I do upon arriving (after hugging Val) is book it down to the river for an up close look-see.  I LOVE the sunrise on the water and the fog all around.  It gives the place an ethereal feel and I can sense the peace setting in.




It appears that a new fishing platform is being built to replace the one that washed away last year in the flooding.  I hope this one has a different plan.  Just finding a spot to sit and enjoy this scenery is high on my list, but work awaits up at the house.  We have so much to do before we're ready to greet the ladies.  One last look and away I go.


Four hours and fast moving hands later, the room is filling up.


A group of us are off to Babe's for the traditional kick-off lunch.  I honestly think this is one of my favorite things we do.


Now to walk off some of that food.  The new quilt shop a block away has proved a perfect motivation.  Sherri finds this octopus and falls in love.  I'm pretty sure she has located a place to purchase the pattern as well.  I spot these hand-painted, then printed blocks on the wall and decide that the bluebonnet one will be a perfect label for my Frolic quilt.  It goes home with me.  (The single flower, lower left.)


These blocks are really wonderful too.


It doesn't take long and Rocky has our first TA-DA.  Beautiful, but super scary for me.  What an amazing quilt top.


A quick trip to town gives me a chance to get up close and personal with the nearby livestock.


I have set to work on my list and the back for Winter Wonderland is ready to go.  Hahahaha - I'm making it sound much harder than it was.  In fact, I'm not even showing it, cos it was THAT difficult.


Onto my next item --- cutting out a couple of Row X Row blocks.  With some diligence, I have them completed, kitted up, and ready to sew.  Now, where is that list and what is next? 

Ah, yes.  Another Row x Row.  This time I have to draw the pieces and iron on the fusible.  Before calling it a night, that is exactly as far as I get.  Tomorrow is another day and these will get cut out and ironed on.  That's the plan at least.


Last ladies standing --- Such a wonderful group!!!!!  (keep reading y'all.)


Good morning!  Are you ready for another day?  Believe it or not, Brenda has a TA-DA and it is being modeled by Shirley. 

She is followed up by Janet with a TA-DA of her own.  Love the beachy feel of this one.  Love it lots.

Stephanie has an ornament TA-DA --- yes, variety occurs here.


I am teaching shopping bags for both retreats and today is the day.  I have one of the original ones I made in 2014 for my first time hostessing a retreat.  Wow --- so much fun since then.


And here the come ---  Janet and Chris


Followed by Sherri and Cindy


Then Janet has some dresses finished ---


Val has a purse TA-DA


Followed by with bag TA-DA's by Stephanie and Val (she's prolific today)


Children must play --- It's BUBBLE time.  So, so much fun.



Game night is ON!  We are truly in slumber party mode.  Look at how creative these ladies can be -


More -





Duos --- Meet my lovely ladies:

Val and Kelly


Frieda and yours truly (blurry -- yay me)


Kamryn and Stephanie


Stephanie and Brenda


Cindy and Janet


Susan and Chris


Paula and Mindy


With one trio --- Gwen, Sherri, and Shirley


Paula advances to Silver Diamond ---- Woot woot!!!


Kelly wins something!!!  It's one of the door prizes.  Janet wins the other one.


Let the games begin - roll them dice.  And the winner of round one - and about 50 fat quarters - is SUSAN!!!! 


Paula takes home the first jelly roll and Sherri is awarded the second one.  Congratulations ladies.


A few shots of Baby Guiness for the evening giggles all around.


Now, back to business.  The machines are once again humming away and Chris has a TA-DA.


And with that --- it's time to say good night once again. There are only four of us left --- and we're ready to sleep.  (yes, keep reading)


Saturday is here and Paula has her pumpkin TA-DA's.


More bags are finished --- Kamryn and Stephannie


Janet with a TA-DA -- modern and fun.


Bags from Brenda and Kelly - so many charms being handed out this weekend.


Visitors stop by --- hey there Sam and it's so night to meet Crystal and Amber (one on each side of her).  Hope you get a chance to retreat with us sometime soon.


Shirley has a Talking Turkey block TA-DA and Janet has another top as well --- Wow.


Me???  I have been cutting shirt strips ALL day.  Preparation for May's Quilt-A-Long is underway.


Kamryn with TA-DA's - she's done amazing for her first time with us "old ladies."  This is ALSO her NEWBIE picture!!!!!


I have my Row-by Row block completed too.  I can only cut strips for so long.  It's not really completed, but it is ready for applique and embroidery.


Cindy with a TA-DA - patriotic beauty.


One more bag tonight --- TA-DA for Paula


A very strange group picture this weekend.  Somehow, this almost slipped my mind so a selfie it is.  I don't think I can figure out the rows but I'll try.  Starting in the back:  Janet, Stephannie, and Kelly peeking.  Next row:  Brenda, Shirley, Chris, Susan, Frieda Kamryn and Val.  Front group kinda zig zag -- Sherri (peek), Mindy, me, Stephanie, Paula, and Cindy.  Whew.  We are missing Gwen, Rocky, and Maria.


Mindy TA-DA (this one has been in the works for quite a few retreats and has been fun to watch it come together.)


Janet with one more TA-DA


Chris - TA-DA


Mindy with her second TA-DA.  Fast, isn't she?


Val - TA-DA  - great finish


Shirley has a TA-DA (I dont' know how she does these over and over again.)


Frieda's block --- WOW


Three more NEWBIES --- so much fun.  Chris, Janet, and Susan.


Stephannie with TA-DAs


Frieda with her bag TA-DA


And that's a wrap.  I'm done in and don't even make it to last man standing.  This girl is wiped out.  I have loved spending time with these women and they continually build me up and show me love beyond measure.  Hugs to all and I can't wait to see y'all again.

2 comments:

  1. WOW....what a great amount of work you all got done. I love all the tiaras.....would you mind telling where you got them?

    We are on lockdown due to the corona virus and I so miss my sew days with my girlfriends. Hopefully we will be able to resume them soon.

    The eye candy was wonderful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Retreats are just what is needed to keep us happy at home. We pick up tiaras at many places, but two popular ones are Sam Moon and Amazon. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete