Thursday, March 12, 2020

Brazos House - March Tweener Time

Tweener Time has begun.  Saying good-bye to the first group has taken place and it's DOWN TIME.  Much needed down time.  I have my Talking Turkey blocks ready to complete, but the motivation factor is really down.  We are hearing stories of panic buying and the Coronavirus beginning to be a recognized issue.   The days start blurring together and it's taking a toll on me and I find myself crawling into bed to literally retreat from the world.  I'm happy to say that my friends are so amazing and just won't let that happen.  Miss Paula even sends me into giggles by crawling in to join me.  I wish y'all could have witnessed it.



It's Monday and the gals (Gwen and Frieda) are pulling me out the door and down to the river.  I have got to work my way back to the surface and with their love, I'll make it.  Come along --- Gwen is such a rock hound.  Love watching her so much.




Ahhhh, they were right!  My heart has been lifted and life is getting a new outlook.


We spot some poor little fish that have been trapped in the tide pools (can rivers have tide pools?) and then are greatly entertained by Gwen's attempt to release them back into the water.


Walking back towards the main house, I notice the new firewood shelters.  Love them.


Back at the house --- my other two lifter-uppers are waiting with smiles.


I picked up these smooth pink rocks while down at the river ---- it reminded me that sometimes rocks are easily overlooked.  I don't want to ever do that with these four ladies --- my rocks -- they have taught me so very much.

It's hard not to read about the craziness going on back in the city and that makes it hard to stay up.  Perhaps a walk to visit the donkeys will help.  There are two just about to pop with babies.  Last year we were lucky enough to witness it, maybe this year too?  That would be amazing and very uplifting.




A nap.  Yes, a nap.  And then --- a slumber party in my room.  Oh yes, as I said, "Amazing Women."  Some great talking and planning and crazy bonds have been made.  My heart is so full and they are truly daughters of God for the love they have is crazy healing.  We've made a decision and are going out for dinner tomorrow night.  It may be the last time that gets to happen for awhile and we want to thoroughly enjoy our time together.

It's a new day!!!  I am determined to walk up the hill to Kay's, for some exercise AND time to visit with her.  I REALLY miss our interaction now that she is not cooking for us.  It's hard and I feel like I need to make the effort to keep our friendship strong.  As I round the corner up the hill, a flock of wild turkeys take flight (kinda, lol) and scurry into the brush before I can get my camera out.  Kay is thrilled to learn of them though.  One white mule is eager for a pet or two and I oblige.


I do love it up here and need to make a greater effort to walk this more often.  The view is beautiful and there is always a spot to sit and enjoy.  As I'm heading back down the hill, lovely purple Iris are peeking out around the lower cabin and the color combination of purple and green always makes me smile.  So, so pretty.


I also notice this firewood stack and the lovely artwork that is built into the stack.  Love it so much.


Today is adventure day.  Gwen, Paula, and I are going into Glen Rose for lunch and a peek around.  Kelly meets up with us for the meal and the food is incredible at Sugar Biscuits.  This is a "must stop" from here on out.  Here's a peek around the restaurant.  (I swear I thought we had our picture taken while there, but it's not on my camera.  Did we use someone else's?)


There are little shops right in the restaurant.





My tummy is happy and I want to walk around the town square a bit.  Gotta search out the fun stuff.  Are ya ready?

First up is this Ice House and the information on it is:  "In the days before refrigerators, passing by this ice house conjured up visions of ice cream or iced tea.  What little child couldn't visualize cold homemade ice cream on a hot summer's day?  And what adult, who had been working hard outside and swigging lukewarm water from a jar, couldn't wait to get back to the house at dinner time to drink a cold glass of tea made from ice chipped of a block?  Texas summers can be brutal without the luxuries of air conditioning or refrigerators.  There was no such thing as 'cold' in the summer until technology prevailed, unless it was one of Glen Rose's famous springs and artesian wells.

Ice was manufactured elsewhere and brought to this little stone house in huge blocks of perhaps 50 or 100 pounds.  Sawdust or straw insulated around the blocks; an old quilt or gunny sack provided the insulation for the trip home.  Depending on the size of an ice box in the kitchen, one of these blocks fit nicely in there to preserve milk, butter, and cooked food.  The one innovation helped keep people from getting sick from nearly-spoiled food.

In the early days of Glen Rose, community picnics were held in the park near the mill.  Vendors of lemonade put blocks of ice in washtubs with the lemonade and hawked their product:  'Ice Cold Lemonade!  Made in th' shade - stirred with a spade!  Good enough for any old maid!'  Cost:  5 cents per cup, and the cup was rinsed in cold water and used by the next customer!  As someone said, 'That was the days before germs.'"

It seems odd to be writing about that today, as germs are all anyone can think about.  Across the street is the center of the square and a grand courthouse that was built in 1893.  Downtown squares and especially courthouse squares were the heart and soul of small-town America.  It was not different in Glen Rose with movie theaters, restaurants, most retail store, and office all located within walking distance of each other.

One of the first things a visitor is sure to notice on the Courthouse Square is a bronze statue, titled "Barnard's of the Brazos - First Family of Glen Rose."  The bronze pays tribute to Charles and Juana Barnard, who were the founding patriarchs of Glen Rose.

Water tower peeking through.


We decide to walk the square and while Gwen and Paula do some shopping, I am on a hunt for more town information.  It turns out that the store they are in and the one next to it have a cool history.

First up is Martin's Grocery Store:  "For nearly 50 years (1924-1973) the Ed Martin family operated a grocery store in Glen Rose, most of that time in this building.  Ed's business philosophy was to give service to the customer.  And that, they did.  Staying open late on Saturday nights for the farmers who came into town once a week, extending credit to nearly anyone who was running low on cash, delivering groceries to your door and sometimes putting things away in a refrigerator, taking orders by phone, housing a walk-in freezer where locals could store their garden produce, and trading farm produce for groceries and stock feed.  Besides that, the Martin family always lent a helping hand to those in need.

Martin's was a one-stop shopping store:  Full line of groceries, meat market with cuts made to order, nails, nuts and bolts, saws, paint, chicken and stock feed, garden tools.  A familiar sight was boxes of vegetables sitting on the sidewalk next to the building, advertising their specials of the week.

Prior to Martin's Store, White House Cafe operated here."


And Don Hill's Store.  "What did Glen Rose do before WalMart?  They went to Don Hill's!  If he didn't have what you needed, he would get it for you.

Many a Somervell County native child who ever visited Hill's Variety Store through the years came away with an indelible memory of the fascinating array of candies, toys, and novelties, a miniature WalMart of modern times.

Besides the mentioned candy, the Hills stocked toys - some that became a little shopworn from wee hands that held no money.  It would be safe to say that these toys were the only ones some children had to play with, even for a few minutes.  Don and his wife, Vivian, displayed extraordinary patience to let children investigate before they turned loose of their coins.  Mrs. Hill tutored many a child on how to count their money.

Even several generations of adults came to Don Hill's Store to look for dishes, cookware, hardware, garden implements or face powder or novelty items.  If you couldn't find what you wanted elsewhere, you could go to Hill's for what inventory he didn't sell, he kept.

Don and Vivian Hill bought the business from his sister, Lillie Hill Campbell.  Their father, C.W. Hill built the store after a fire destroyed the former building  The Hills operated this business for 49 years from the 1930s."


Rounding the last corner leads to this unique building.  Oh my.  What could it have been?  A look at the sign on the door shares some information:  It was the Hopewell Post Office of Somervell County.  Established on May 24, 1901 and discontinued on June 30, 1904.  "This tiny log 'crib' was located in the Hopewell Community of Somervell County.  It was on the property that became part of the dam of Squaw Creek Lake that cools the Comanche Peak nuclear power plant.  Texas utilities moved all the buildings on the farm away.  Winnie Miller Merrill (born 1894), who was reared at Hopewell, remembered going to this little post office for the mail when about seven years old.  (Mrs. Merrill later served Somervell County as Treasurer for 25 years.)"

Well, that's it for today and I'm excited to come back and do a little more exploring.  For now, back to the house to get ready for dinner in Grandbury tonight.

It's a rare moment when Val goes out for a meal and we are all taking advantage of it.  Kelly has made it back from Garden City and Frieda has also returned from her errand today.  The gang is all back together and off for a fun evening --- which gets crazy photo-bombed.  It is what it is.


Another day!!  It's our last full day of Tweener Time and I have promised to make cinnamon rolls and Sam has promised to come and spend time with us.  It's a win-win.

First though --- Gwen has her bag TA-DA.  Good for her.  In case you haven't notice, I have not sewn a thing during this time.  Gotta get it together.


I DO, however, make cinnamon rolls.  Two pans, in fact.  One with raisins and one without.



And Sam DOES arrive!!!  Yay!!  I love her so very much and am thrilled she took time to come give me hugs.  (No idea where Kelly is at this point.)


It's Thursday morning and some sewing IS taking place --- just not by me.  I am prepping for the next group to arrive.


And that means cleaning off the snack table.  While this task is happening, I discover some bananas that really need a new home.  Into the kitchen I go and soon banana bread is waiting to treat the ladies as they arrive.  Tweener Time has officially come to an end.

Val, Frieda, Paula, Gwen and Kelly ----- I love y'all so much.  I'll never be able to express it well.

Bring on the Biker girls!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment