Monday, March 30, 2020

Unity Quilt-A-Long - Bonnie Hunter Mystery - Week 1

There is turmoil in our world right now and everyone is staying home for at least another month.  That means many of us have empty calendars and time on our hands.  I know that applies to me, for sure.  I also know that with five children, their spouses, and sixteen grandchildren plus a mother over 80, I spend most of my time worrying to the point of catching myself with my jaw clenched.  This quilt along means that I have a place to focus my thoughts and keep my hands busy as well, PLUS it is motivational as I wish to keep up with the crowd.

I have changed up Bonnie's colors this go round as I was gifted some fun panels at the last quilt retreat and I want to use them in the back.  That means I'm going with "Spring."  What do you think?




Now, before I start cutting and sewing, I have given myself ONE RULE!!!  I am already so stressed that I don't need to let this add to it.  I've given total release and don't give one iota if points match right or seams line up perfect.  We are living in a VERY imperfect world right now and more jaw clenching is just not going to happen.  I want to just enjoy every moment of this.  So, here's to Unity and a thank you to Bonnie for putting it all together.

The first thing I do this morning is pull squares and strips from my Scrap Users System and am able to find almost all that I need.  A few more strips are cut, but I'm ready to rock and roll. 

Since I've chosen the sew and flip method, I'm pressing my squares in half.  I really don't like to draw lines.


 First one side and then the other are chained quickly.  The trimming and pressing takes longer than actual sewing.


 Single units become doubles.


These are just so fresh and fun.


Look at this stack of bonus triangles.  I'm just going to put them in a container and hold onto them.  Maybe a chance to use them will show up later.


TA-DA ---- I LOVE how pretty this is!  Now, back to Frolic.


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so very much. I'm missing all the beautiful flowers here in Texas this time of year.

      Delete
  2. I don't see measurements for strips and squares. Where might I find them ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to Quiltville.com and use the blog tab, you can find out all you need to know. It is a Bonnie Hunter pattern.

      Delete