Tuesday, March 31, 2020

March 2020 Quilt Update

The 20's are Roaring Again and are you joining in with our own group ROAR?  I posted all the details in a separate post and here is the Theme LINK to get the details if you want to join in.


If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.

In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  I AM still in UFO mode around here and trying oh so hard to use or clean out the stash.  It will be an ongoing project this year.  If I want something to come in -- something has to go out.  That is one goal.  The balances change each month (hopefully) and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.)



So ---- here's  March and all the wonderful fun it provided.  Please remember that any links in here will  open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads of popups EVER.

1st -  We have come to the beginning of another month.  Building on previous months, I am still working to feel more accomplished with my long arm and striving to help others more often.  In addition, I think I'll ROAR towards organization.  Not sewing organization.  Life.  I feel like I'm pretty organized most of the time, but I've let a few things sit and they need to be settled.  This month, by the end of it, I hope to have all my ducks in a row for the year.  I can do it and that will free up my brain to roar in far more fun ways --- like being silly and sharing with friends more often.  How about you?  Let's make a month of it.

It's the weekend (Sunday) -- couple time.  Starting the day out with a new to us coffee shop - it deserves its own post.  Here is the PINK COFFEE LINK.  Seriously, it's PINK.

From there, wandering is in order today.  We've decided to just go where the back roads lead.  Here is the Greenville/Sulphur Springs LINK so that you can share in our day.  It's worth a peek --- just for the bathrooms alone.

Once back home, I take a few minutes and start to lay out the Witch's Night Out blocks for April.  I want a jump on this so that I can focus on other projects later this month.


2nd - Mister is back to work and I am too.  More WNO fun happening.


And TA-DA!!!


Only one more BAD block in the process, but that is still forward movement.  Right?


Binding is going on Jamestown Landing!!!  I am soooo happy.


3rd - Today is Election Day!!  Let your voice be heard.  It is what makes our system work.  I am meeting Stephannie for lunch today so that I can pick up the new name tags for retreat.  I'm look forward to these moments of girl time more than you can imagine.

Sofa time, doing the hand stitching on JL and it is TA-DONE!!!  Front -


and back -


Kelly's sweet FW, Ruby, is visiting and ready to go back to her owner. What a little sweetheart.


4th -  I'm off to a good start this month and two more Whimm's blocks hit the table.  Quilting and squaring takes place and I'm really pretty happy with the way these are going.

Now, it's time to start the packing process for tomorrow.  I have a LOT of stuff this time with a list to go with them.  My hopes are crazy high for checking things off the list.


5th - It's Retreat Day!!!  I am off bright and early on my way to Rainbow, TX and girl time.  Sooooo looking forward to it and I have so many great plans.  Here is the LINK to share in our fun.

First thing I manage to check off the list is a backing for Winter Wonderland.  I have no excuses now and need to get it finished.


Row by Row's cut and ready to sew is next up.

I also have another Row by Row that requires a bit more work.  Applique is involved and I manage to get all the pieces drawn out and ironed onto the fabric before calling it a day.  A few checkmarks and I'm off to a good start.


6th - Day 2 of retreat and we are starting to hear about the toilet paper runs taking place around the country.  OMG.  People are crazy.  Meanwhile, back on the farm, I am presenting a mini-class on shopping bags and my bag from 2014 is the sample.  It's held up well.  Do you remember me making these?  It was right before the first retreat that I hosted.  Here is the LINK to my post back then.

We also have fun with bubbles going on!!!!  In the afternoon, I get all the parts for my row by row cut out and before I know it, it's game night.  Always a hoot and this slumber party is right on target.  If ya didn't click the link from yesterday, you really should.  These ladies went all out.


7th - Day 3 of retreat and two of our events are posting today.  Witch's Night Out Month 3 and Talking Turkey Week 6.  So much fun going on everywhere.  Sherri is making a french toast breakfast for everyone this morning out of leftover rolls.  Love it.  My big focus for today is getting my row by row all ironed and ready for applique.  With all that is going on in the world, I'm a little distracted and finding it difficult to concentrate.

However, these ladies definitely make it easier to cope.  Love, love, love them all so very much.


8th - Day 4 of retreat and the first group has departed.  That is always a sad morning and now I'm just wandering around trying to do anything but sew.  What is wrong with me?  I had such high hopes for this retreat and have literally accomplished very little.  At least Frieda is being productive.  Gotta love her little paper-pieced block.

9th - Day 5 and Tweener Time is underway.  All of the fun can be found in this POST.  You should definitely check it out as we were out in nature AND various other spots.  I "thought" I might sew today and even took out the block parts.  Does that count?


Sewing didn't take place --- but cuddling did.


And river walking with friends



AND my very own slumber party in my room.  These women are the BEST on the planet.


10th - Day 6 and I've got cabin fever and need to visit with Kay.  A walk up the hill does my body good.  The views are wonderful.

Gwen, Paula, and I also make a trip into Glen Rose and discover the town square.  It's all new to me and I love it.

For the evening --- the gang has returned from various adventures and we are having dinner out.


11th - Day 7 and I'm baking.  I promised cinnamon rolls to Paula and promises must be kept.  Two pans -- one with raisins and one without.



Samantha stopped by and that means even more fun.  My heart is so full tonight.


12th - Day 8 and the beginning of the second retreat.  You can follow along in this Biker Fun LINK.  I start the day by making banana bread to greet the ladies as they arrive.  The house smells amazing.

AND . . . .  shock of all shocks  . . .  I start sewing again.  It's about time, right?  My blocks for Talking Turkey get put together today and I'm ready for the next post.  I really do like hosting quilt-a-longs as it keeps me on task.


I've decided to just start webbing without even a layout.  My chances of putting two blocks together that don't have a similar fabric is almost non-existent, thus I am going to just punt and sew.

I did it!!!  It is webbed and now all I have to do is the cross seams.  Woot woot.  Sewing strips for the Stash Buster Challenge are my leader enders and I've managed to complete quite a few today.  Yes, I'm going to use those solids that I really don't care for.


13th - Day 9 of retreat and I'm teaching the bag again.  Rows are also being sewn on Talking Turkey and there is hope that I will accomplish at least one more thing on my list. 

Game night is an absolute blast and I LOVE this picture so very much.


And this one!  Fellow cyclist.


More strips during the rows this evening.


14th - Day 10 - I am sooooo worried about what is going on in the world but trying to bask in the idea that we are out here in the country and probably safer than if we were at home.  My rows are finished and I'm ready to move onto the first border.

Still more strips for the challenge have been put together.  It's a great leader/ender.  With a whirl of the clock, I have this top to the point of posting the next step.  Whew.  I had hope to have a completed top.backing, etc. to take home with me, but I'm going to be happy with where it's at.  This month will go down in history as one that really threw people off.  (Yes, I have some turned geese.  They'll get fixed further down the road.)


Time out for a group picture.


Oh Em Gee.  I have even managed to get a layout for my Frolic quilt.  All the rows have been picked up and pinned together so that it can be set.  I'm loving it.


15th - Day 11 and it's time to pack up and return home to my sweetheart (which I am soooo ready for) and the real world (which I am definitely not ready for).  I had hoped to stop at the Dallas Quilt Show on the way home, but it has been cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak, which has now been labeled a pandemic.  I think everyone is pretty much thinking about what is going on at home and the house is empty the earliest it has ever been.  It's Brazos Out for us three and a phone call to check on my mom happens while driving.  These ladies mean so very much to me and I need to make sure we stay in touch over the course of the next few weeks. 

16th - I took the plunge and went to pick up some groceries today.  Cleaned and sanitized the house and ordered online what I couldn't get at Costco.  The rest of the day is spent on bookwork/calendaring/ etc.  Just a very busy day.  Talked with kids  - no pictures.  The virus is heavy on our minds and we are talking through preparations.

17th - St. Pat's Day and a totally non-productive day for me.  Too much dwelling on the situation we are facing as the president has asked us to stay home for the next two weeks.  Laundry done.

18th - I've hauled my sewing machine into the living room and set up a little station.  I don't want to be out in the studio all by myself right now.  I'm sure that time will come but I've been apart from my sweetie for quite awhile this month.  All the remaining Talking Turkey borders are being put together and I have stuff EVERYWHERE.


But, I get 'em done.



19th - Dairy Queen Day was supposed to be today - cancelled.  It's pretty much what the world is full of right now -- one cancellation after another.  It even impacted me today as our governor put Texas on "no groups of over 10" until April 3rd.  Our April retreat had to be cancelled and that just stink.  A rainy day with flooding doesn't help my mood and I pretty much just mope the rest of the day.  Mister joked that locusts are next and then I find out that they really are a problem in Africa.  Oh my.

20th -  The fun job of refunding and balancing Paypal is this morning's adventure.  It's just so darn depressing.  I force myself to go and sew and manage to get the 2nd border onto my top.


Convincing Mister to leave the house took some work, but we won't get out of the car near anyone else.  I just want to go down by the river -- get some fresh air -- and take a picture or two.  I'ts definitely eerie with so few people out and about and so many closed businesses.  The county my daughter lives in has gone on lockdown to try and fight this virus with some testing and strategies.  I am so worried for all the kids and grands.  I can't sleep much right now due to all of that.  Everyone is just so far away.



21st -   The ladies from retreat deserve their pictures to be posted so I spend the morning on them and a few blog posts.  I am rapidly getting behind again and don't want to end the month that way.  It's National Quilting Day and I've put out a quilt in honor of it.


We've also cleared the table and found some puzzles in the closet.  We are now scheduling our activities for the next few weeks.  A bottle of wine and a cheese board are for dinner as we try to keep some semblance of normalcy going.  The first puzzle has been chosen by Mister and he thinks he picked the easiest.  I may have to disagree, but some parts will go together quick.  I know he chose it because there is a quilt on the fence.  Such a sweetie at all times.


22nd - Some days ya just need a little comfort and this is one of those.  Therefore, comfort food.  A pot roast is in the oven and that will feed us for several days.  It's the way to cook right now.

23rd - Lost day - Mister actually went to fill the gas tank, drop the deposit at the bank, and pick up some gin so that I won't have so many stops tomorrow.  We are trying to get all of our ducks in a row as we go on "stay at home" in Dallas County as of midnight tonight.  All of our preparations have paid off and we'll be just fine except one more trip to get groceries.

24th - Wanting to finish our preparations, I venture out today and go to "senior"morning at Costco.  As if I wasn't depressed enough, I have had to come to terms with the fact that I am "senior" or "elderly" and it is a tough pill to swallow.  I also stop at two other stores to pick up the smaller items but get everything on my list.  What a mentally exhausting morning.  Trying to stay away from people and yet get what one needs is crazy challenging.  Once home, I shower, put most of the food in time out and proceed to make 3 gallons of Chex mix (because I HAVE to MAKE something), boil some eggs and prepare a nice chicken dinner with fresh julienned green beans.  So much time in the kitchen but busy hands and mind.

25th -  I had to make the crazy difficult decision to reschedule the April trip to Virginia today.  Bonnie and I talked for quite awhile and came to the conclusion that it was best to just push it back a year.  I honestly don't think this mess will end at the beginning of April and neither does she.  My April calendar is now completely clear.  Beyond that --- it's another lost day for me with the exception that I have determined I'm a mess and need to get my act together.  Will I?  I decide to put together a quilt-a-long for the month of April that uses a pattern in the book Bonnie has on sale right now.  Maybe I can help her AND keep myself busy.  It also happens to be one that I have as a UFO and need to get back to.  Perhaps this will help.  We start April 1 on Idaho Square Dance.

26th -  So -- changes, right?  Up, showered, dressed (there's something new), and a mile walk through the neighborhood.  This needs to become habit.  It's a gorgeous morning and I'm basking in the sunlight and birds and quiet.  It's crazy quiet out here.  I see a few others out walking and everyone says hi. It didn't use to always be that way.  Perhaps we will come out of this a bit kinder to each other.  As I'm walking, I spot this on the sidewalk.  What a great idea and I need to share this with my kids.  It's kind of like a quilt, right?  The crepe myrtle wood is just glowing in the sunlight.


This yard had the most beautiful azaleas.  I sooooooo miss Dallas Blooms this year.


Talked with ALL kids and mom today.  That was super uplifting and got me going enough to get the second and third borders on my quilt.  When I went to add the fourth one, I found I had made mistakes and have to take two back off.  ARGH.  That's it for today.


27th -  The last border is back on and I have FOUR mistakes to fix in the center.  Such fun and tomorrow is another day.


28th -  The neighborhood is having a "bear hunt" for the kiddos while families go for walks.  I hunted one down and put it in the window.  Biscotti sounds amazing and we have everything we need so I get to it and Mister makes a homemade chai tea as well. 


Some progress has happened on the puzzle, but it's come to a much slower pace now that we are in the trees.  Someone couldn't take it anymore and their OCD came to shine.  No names mentioned.

I put the back together for Talking Turkey and then moved onto the necessary fixes.  Putting a hole in your quilt top is never fun, but four of them really grates on ya.  I sewed these blocks while at retreat and wasn't on my game, which is obvious.  There is likely a lesson to learn from this.


TA-DA --- it is fixed and finished.


While out back taking photos, I notice that the Japanese maple is just glowing a bright red in the sunlight.  Must stop and enjoy for a few minutes.

Back into the house, label and binding are complete and this one is ready to quilt.  Wow -- it took me forever to do this but I'm glad I've hit the check mark that was scheduled for 10 days ago.

29th -  We have some bananas that have seen better days and my sweetie missed out on the banana bread I made for retreat, so it's his turn today.  Two loaves hot and ready to go with another batch (another recipe) of chai tea.  Bonnie has announced a new mystery starting tomorrow and I head to the studio to pull fabrics.  Shirley had given me these lovely panels while at retreat and I use them as the backing inspiration.  I'm going with spring colors.  Back into the house and butternut squash boats for dinner.


I'm thinking a jump start on WNO for May since April will be so busy.  However, I don't get very far.  Just keeping it honest here.  Why don't I get far?  Well, because the announcement we've been waiting for took place.  Our Stay-At-Home orders were just extended to April 30 and I even hear the president say that he was hoping things would start to improve by June.  Yep, we're in this for awhile.  It's looking less and less likely that our May retreats will happen too.

30th -  Our Sew-In-Place quilt along with Bonnie is entitled Unity and is a medallion quilt.  Today, we build the medallion.  You can follow along with me in this  Unity Week 1 post.

I LOVE my spring colors and am hoping that the work on this will keep me cheerful throughout the next few weeks.


Once my medallion is finished (ya gotta click the link to see it), I start in on setting Frolic.  First the border sections are sewn together and the edging stay stitched (I find this easier to do when they are not attached yet) and then the setting of the center begins.  That's where this day ends, but I feel good.  It was VERY productive.

31st -  I want to finish setting this today but find I can only work for so long at any time.  Phone calls to friends and family are just more important right now.  And laundry.  Always laundry.  Even though it is mostly jammies and underwear, there is still only so many By lunch, I have the first half together.

The second half is underway and I make all the way to the final seam before calling it a night to spend time with my sweetie.  He's important too.  That final seam and the borders going on will happen tomorrow.  Then onto the backing.

With that we have come to the end of another month.  I've been racking my brain trying to figure out a way to incorporate our theme of the Roaring 20's into play.  Well -- how's this?  Let's just not let this whole mess take us into a quagmire of despair.  Let's ROAR into action.  I've seen many helping with face masks and others I know are helping with food.  MAKE a phone call to lift another's spirit!  Make something that makes your heart sing!  We can do this.  Together.  Help one another with UPLIFTING thoughts and ideas.  Please try to refrain from putting our roar to a negative use.  Let's not find fault with others, no matter what.  We're in this together.  I may even go outside an ROAR into the sky occasionally.  It will help keep my love safe.  Please, please, please -- find the love and share it.  That is what we all need right now --- until next month -- stay safe everyone and share your ROAR into action.


UFO's to quilt:

BOM #1 - quilted and bound
BOM #2 - quilted and bound
BOM #3 - quilted and bound
Ohio Star - quilted and bound

Current Projects:

Frolic Mystery - Set, quilted, and bound  Almost set
Witches Night Out - Monthly Assignment Finished - Yes
Quiet Book - Supply list determined and collected
Stash Buster project - strips sewn
Batik Strings and Crumbs - Xing

UFO Items for This Month:

Two Whimms blocks (QAYG) - DONE
1 Row by Row block - ready to applique
BAD blocks as leader/enders - only one this month
Talking Turkey Quilt-A-Long - Week 6, 7, 8, 9
Winter Wonderland - backing made - YES
Jamestown Landing -- binding/label finished  YES

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- roll the quilt once -


Links to Previous 2020 Monthly Posts:

January 2020
February 2020




No comments:

Post a Comment