Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Surfside Beach Retreat - Session 1

September is finally here and that means the beach retreat.  Woohoo!  I look so forward to this time each year and even with all the unease surrounding me right now, the ocean is calling.  I'm packed and ready to roll. 



Several cancellations provided last minute car changes and Stephannie is riding with me down to the gulf.  We are outta here.


Chatting and driving go hand in hand and with only a quick Buc-ees stop and a grocery stop in Lake Jackson, we have arrived precisely on time.  Ahhhhh . . . .


So many ladies are already here and unpacking.  That's perfect.  I am ready to do the same and as soon as we are somewhat organized, dinner is determined.  We are going to walk down the road to one of a couple "new to me" spots.

Part of the way there, we have a change in plans and select a different restaurant.  That means a walk through a field and if you look in the background of the picture below this, you'll see some are getting into a vehicle for the journey.  The rest of us just hike up dresses, etc. and off we go.  It seriously is not very far and we actually arrive before the car does.


Smile everyone ---- let the retreat begin.


We have a crazy long wait for dinner --- crazy -- during which the harvest moon rises.


Karaoke starts while we are finishing up and Rocky adds her name to the cue. 

Just as she gets going, back-up dancers arrive in the form of Lori and Stephannie.  YES!!!  Spontaneity at it's absolute best.

A few minutes out on deck to admire the beauty of the moon.


And time with friends.  Love this girl so much.


I take a wee bit of time and finish the binding on my wall hanging for the exchange.  TA-DA



AND . . . .I really need to get down on the beach so take off for a short walk.  Guess what else is out and about tonight?


Upon my return, I call it a night.  I am TA-Done.  However, these three manage to burn the midnight oil and are last ladies standing.  Way to go and props to Sharron for the picture.


14th - It's clue day for the mystery so I am up bright and early.  That also means I have a chance to see the sunrise.  A quick post and off I go.  Oh ---- the colors are just starting.


Taking a bazillion pictures makes it hard to choose just a couple to share here.  I'm sure it's still too many, but enjoy.


And if the sights are not enough --- let your ears play along as well.



Rocky is out with me this morning and she lets me play a bit.  The moon is hanging out behind us - wanting to stay in sight for a bit longer.


Oooooh, the colors are changing.



We get back up on the deck by the time the sun rises above the clouds.  Others are awake and watching giving me such a great picture.


Peek a boo


And I threw this one in just because.  Do you see the long line of pelicans?


A little bit later, Val has found her happy spot ---- binding away for a bit then coming in to share her  TA-DA


I've prepared the wall hangings for the exchange.  Aren't they wonderful?


Each cup contains numbers to be drawn by the participants.


And for the afternoon delight --- some front porch sitting along with Janet's TA-DA.  Welcome to Janet, this is her first time with the gang.


Taking a sunset watch walk after dinner is perfect.  I have accomplished absolutely nothing today but a few crochet stitches and yet ---- this is wonderful. 


Good friends and great memories.  Just what nights like this are for.  Oh - and maybe a photography lesson or two.  Moments like this are just so treasured by me.  I cannot express that enough to those involved. 

A stop at the water's edge provides a few more such moments.



With the sun setting, the moon rise is next.  Simply beautiful.


One final TA-DA of Val's before I call it a night.  I don't have sent a last ladies standing picture today so I guess I'll just end here and pick back up tomorrow.

15th - I've managed to pull myself out of bed for the second day in a row to see the sunrise.  It helps that I have gone to bed early the last two nights, but still . . .   The thing is that I am up at the same time at home and due to the location of our house, never get to see the sunrise up close and beautiful like I can here.  I want to take advantage if possible.  Look at these blues.  Oh my.



Again --- so many pictures to choose from.  Just a few to share.


As I return to the house, both birds and humans are  making their appearances.


Ahhh, there she is.


Up at the house, Val has another TA-DA.  She is a binding machine and her quilts are just wonderful.


Lori with a TA-DA too --- top made here.


Walk on the beach time.  Yes, it appears that this is why I am here.  Still no real production going on for me this year.  My mind is just elsewhere.  However, fun on the beach certainly helps.  Wind and short hair ---- what a great combination.



We walked all the way to the Seahorse Restaurant in the hopes of finding another spot to have dinner - either as a group or during tween time.  The menu is fairly large and everyone can find something to eat, but it is a bit pricey.  Time will tell.

The day passes with lots of great conversation and laughter.  What else do we truly need?  A group picture, that's what we need.  Enlisting Rocky to help with the camera, a quick line up and here we are.

Back row:  Janet, Lori, Val (hiding), Maria, Frieda  Center:  Debi, Lou, Eveline, Sharron, Betty, Meri Front:  Yours truly, Stephannie, and Rocky.  This is a wonderful group and the room is full of harmony.  Psst - no, we did not send out a memo to wear a dress for this picture.  It just worked out that way.


The camera stayed away for the remainder of the day and once again, I crashed early.  Stephannie left me a last man standing pic --- so here ya go.


16th -  Good morning.  It's pretty cloudy out today and I missed the sunrise.  It happens.  I thought I would show you that I have been doing "something" while here.  I am working on a baby afghan for my new granddaughter that is due to appear in November.

We have very little beach today as the tide is quite high and storms are once again heading our way.  Please, please, please don't let us have the water issues we had last year.  They've replaced the windows and our fingers are truly holding firm in a crossed position.


High tide.


The sunset is sharing color over to the front row of house tonight.  The oranges and yellows are truly beautiful



Look at the sky ---- so cool.


Val has moved indoors for her binding, but is still at it.  Debi is binding as well, although this picture doesn't quite show it.


Various forms of "work" are taking place.   And sharing.



Val with another TA-DA - I'm starting to feel pretty worthless, but I just can't wrap my head around anything right now.  So much going on within my family that it is distracting.


Scenes from the room.



Last ladies standing after I've gone to bed once again.  These gals are enjoying every minute together that they can.  Thank you to Maria for the picture.


 17th - Today, our first session comes to an end and the storms are definitely looming on the horizon.  No chance of a sunrise, but beach moments are still enjoyed.



Eveline has had everyone sign her Surfside t-shirt and I think it's just a wonderful idea. 




Meri Roo's work


Maria is cross stitching this week.


Sapphire Blues being worked on.


A picture of the wall hanging that I won.  I totally forgot to take this before and somehow all cameras went to sleep during the exchange.  It is what it is.  Mine is from Rocky and quilted by Maria.  Love it so much.


As the gals load their cars, the heavens start to unload water at a very high rate. 

Many towels are put to work and the poor gals need entire clothing changes.  Drat.  We have so enjoyed having everyone here this weekend but must say good-bye to Stephannie, Lou, Betty, Eveline, and our newbie, Janet.  It was such fun being together.  Drive safe, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment