Saturday, September 14, 2019

Sapphire Blues - Clue 3


I've had 2 weeks to recover from the cruise and as you read this, I am relaxing on the beach in South Texas.  Yes, once again the deep blue is part of my life.  This picture is from last year, but the view is the same.  Do you see this years colors?  Ahhhhh ---




So, take a deep breath and allow the serenity of this picture to fill your mind.  Why?  It's simple.  This week's clue is a bit challenging.  However, I have faith.  You're gonna love the result.  Let's just get to it.

For the broken record part, READ ALL THE WORDS first and then get to work.

Cutting:

I am giving directions using the Tri-Recs Rulers to create a triangle in a square unit.  If you wish to use another method, such as the Quilt in a Day, Quilt Sense Wonder, Crafter's Companion or any others, please follow their directions to get a 3 1/2" unit.  If you're using the Tri-Recs along with me, get them out.  Look at them, and if you are like me, stop shaking.  The first time I used these rulers in 2014, I thought I'd lose my mind.  I could never get my units to come out right.  THEN, I learned the correct way to use them.  What a difference!  These are amazing rulers once you learn how to use them correctly.  I PROMISE I'll share some really detailed instructions with y'all.

PLEASE make ONE unit first to get the process and make sure your unit finishes at 3 1/2" square and has a 1/4" seam allowance at the point of the center triangle.  THEN work your chains.

UNIT 5 - Make 200

Using 3 1/2" dark blue strips and the TRI TOOL, cut 200 triangles.  I stack 4 strips on top of each other and place the 3 1/2" line on the lower edge of the strip to cut the first triangle as shown.


For the second triangle, flip the Tri Tool upside down and line up the 3 1/2" line with the upper edge.  Cut.  Continue down the strip.  Once you cut the first strip - do the math and you'll be able to figure out just how many strips  you will need.



For the second part, using 3 1/2" light blue strips and the RECS TOOL, we will cut the wings.  Place two strips right sides together for cutting so that you have mirror images.  Cut the first set of wings.  Before lifting the ruler --- do you see the little notch in the upper left corner?  That is just so dang important.  Make sure you cut it as well.


See the little notch cut out?  For the second pair, flip the ruler and cut --- making sure that notch is done as well.


Here is how your pair looks -


Open them up and --- mirror images.


Continue until you have cut 200 PAIR of wings.


Gather all the parts we just cut.


Lay out the unit like so -


Starting with the left side and the left wings.  Set the right ones aside for now.  Since they are cut in pairs, I separate as I sew.


Lay the wing onto the center triangle as shown.  Do you see how the little notch is laying flush with the lower edge of the center triangle. SUPER IMPORTANT - this is your guide to get the unit to come out right.


Chain stitch away.


Press toward the wing.


You are half done.


Now for the right side - using the right wings lay out as shown.


Fold the right wing onto the center as shown, making sure the notch lies flush with the bottom once again.


Chain stitch away -


Press to the right wing.


And you're done with this week.  Woohoo!!!!!  You can trim off the little center dog ears if desired.  Did this get easier as you went along?  I sure hope so, and please share your progress with everyone in the Facebook group set up for this mystery.  Here is your LINK to join.  Hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment