Saturday, December 29, 2018

Good Fortune - Clue 6 - Bonnie Hunter - Mystery Quilt

This month is just zooming by and my mountainous mess in the living room continues on.  I am sorting and organizing like a mad woman.  I have found so many items, long forgotten and with classes coming up in February, am actually finding places for them to be used up.

Along with this comes today's clue in Bonnie Hunter's Good Fortune Mystery.  Clue 6 is strings once again and I am at the point of needing to sort through the neutral strings so everything else comes to a halt.  It's STRINGS y'all.  My absolute favs to work with.  Making a quick trip out to the studio to retrieve the neutral sting bin, I am soon back sitting by the tree and out they come.  A quick turn of the bin and after removing just few along with sorting by whites, creams, and toasty -- I have located my paper scissors that have been missing for quite some time.  Hmmmmm.




A few short minutes later and I have a decent supply of the whites - probably enough for today's clue -- but will likely need to draw on the 1 1/2" strip bin for the creams.  I have also found some misplaced colored strings along with a few toasty's and a few batiks.  Task complete.  Isn't it funny how much more it looks like once fluffed?


Papers are ready and so are the whites --- let's get going.


Fun, fun, fun and now I have the first complete sheet.


Let's give it a cut and see how many I can get out of one strip -- working with both sizes at once.  I'm pretty impressed at the tiny piece of waste I have.


And BOOM --- the whites are sewn.  I even have a couple of little strips that I can use in the label.   Now, onto the creams.


I'm not going to get all the way through these today but I do get a good start before calling it a night to spend time with my love.  He settles in beside me to watch television and de paper all the finished units.

Love, love, love when he helps.  We had the job complete in no time and I'm only about 3 sheets of paper short on the creams.  Tomorrow is another day.

12/29  My sweetie has to work this morning so the first thing I do is settle in and complete the last three pages of strings.  It goes quick and I have this clue complete, along with some skinny pieces in the creams too.


Both sets -


Tray #1


Tray #2


And both together -- What a fun time.  I really do love working in the strings and am so glad they made an appearance in this year's mystery.  If you visited via the linky --- click HERE to find your way back.  Thank you for stopping in and stay creative y'all.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome neutrals. I wonder how long you have been "collecting" them. I can't believe you are keeping up with the steps doing 2 quilts. Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. I started following Bonnie in 2013 and put her scrap users system into effect instantly. As soon as I finish a project, I put cut all scraps into the sizes she recommends and it works. I pick up neutrals when I am at shows and shop hops and try to only purchase other items "as needed" to finish something. In order to get a lot of strings, When you square up your fabric before using for the first time, don't just sliver it as tight as you can --- cut at least 3/4" - 1" and it doesn't matter if it's uneven. Into the string bin the cut off goes. It's amazing how quick they build up. The same with the end of the piece.

      Delete
  2. Fun strips. This whole year seems to have gone by in the snap of my fingers. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too. It will be interesting to see what comes our way --- can't wait for the reveal.

      Delete
  3. A lovely collection of pieces indeed. I have my daughter delegated to remove papers ... hmm, I need to get her started on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My hubby is a saint and helps with the de-papering. It's perfect for t.v. time.

      Delete