Saturday, December 15, 2018

Good Fortune - Clue 4 - Bonnie Hunter - Mystery Quilt

It's Friday!!!  That means another clue is released in Bonnie Hunter's Good Fortune Mystery.  It also means something else, just for me.  What could that be?  Well . . . .

I have not finished Clue 3.  Yep, it's been a bit of a crazy week here on the homestead and sewing just didn't happen.  Between doctor visits/tests, several days at the hospital helping my sweet MIL, and a raccoon that decided to hang out in the studio - let's just say it's been interesting.

However, the new clue is out and it is strings!!!!  Oh I do love working with strings and this clue looks so fun that I quickly gather some papers (and cut them lickety split) along with one of the string bins from the studio (the other one is neutrals only).  This puppy is heavy.  I know it doesn't look like much from here, but believe me -- there are a LOT of strings in here.  The only question now is, are there any in the colors I need?




This is the largest of the five pop-up bins (pattern by the Fat Quarter Gypsy) that I made a few years ago and is perfect for holding the strings.  It stands about 2 feet high and in it's packed state is about 2/3 full.  Let's dump it out and see what we have.


I pull out all the even slightly orange or gold/yellow strings.  It nets me with more than enough for the orange and leaves me needing to cut a few yellow strips.  I don't think too many though, or I will defeat the purpose of the strings if the new ones just wind up back in the bin.


Heading straight to the machine, I am ready to do some stringing.  Oooooh, this is just so much fun.


A few simple changes to the machine and we are off and running.  Zoom, zoom, zoom.  Okay, okay --- not quite that fast, but by chaining two at a time, they really do build up a nice stack of finished papers rather quickly.

Keeping at it and not allowing myself to stop until all the papers are covered (which breaks down to about 3 hours), I soon have this great little stack of beauties.  Orange reigns supreme right now.

A half hour at the cutting table and I have all the little units ready to de-paper, however, I'm calling it a night so that will happen tomorrow.

This clue is just such fun that first thing in the morning, I get all the papers removed from the orange units and move onto letting the yellow add to the mix and am now rapidly zipping through the papers.  Cheery yellow is EVERYWHERE!!


Another 3 hours and some heavy duty Netflix binging brings this stage of the clue to an end.  That means I need to focus on something else for a bit --- perhaps feeding my sweet husband who has been out repairing all the damage to the studio that the silly raccoon caused.  A pork chop and potato bake seems right and there are blackberries and pears to use up so a lovely crisp takes shape as well.  I REALLY need to spend more time in the kitchen as I truly do love to cook and bake.  Note to self:  perhaps 2019 needs more cooking time.  I can even blog about it perhaps?  Yep, cos I have so much spare time now that my posts are notoriously late.  Move on girl.

Mister and I settle in for the evening to enjoy a show and I cut a few yellow units at a time and he helps me remove the papers.  It's a great system and before we know it, they are complete and so is the show.  It's bedtime, but not before showing  you the finished clue.  TA-DA  (keep reading as this post is not quite finished)


Here is the mystery units so far (yep, lacking clue 3 but now I can get back to it) and if you found your way onto this blog via the Link-up on Bonnie's site, here is your LINK BACK.  Thank you for stopping in and hopefully, I'll get Clue 3 caught up this week as well.  Until then, keep on creating.


3 comments:

  1. I need a couple of those bins!! I can't wait to see what you do with your othet colorway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mine and have all five sizes. The larger goes to colored strings, next is for neutral ones, the medium is for "stuff" sitting near my station, the fat quarter size stays in the retreat tote so that I can use it to hold thread and the smallest (soup can size) also goes in the retreat bag and gets used for cut off threads, fabrics, etc. while sewing. They are AWESOME!! The second colorway is really close to Christmas Lights

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete