Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Good Fortune - Clue 3 - Bonnie Hunter - Mystery Quilt

12/7  Don't you just love this time of year?  Each Friday we wake excited and eager to see what is in store for us with Bonnie Hunter's mystery and today is just such a day.  However, all I get to do is look right now.  I am hosting a party in my home tomorrow and today is prep and clean day.  No sewing for me, but such great eye candy.  We are making chevrons, which I love, AND using the bonus triangles as well.  Perfect!!!  Now, I'm off to clean.

12/13  Almost an entire week has gone by and my life went crazy.  A party on Saturday, many trips to the hospital for my sweet mother-in-law, and some doctor and dentist appointments thrown in for good measure seem to have kept me from my fabric.  Oh, and the raccoon -- that crazy raccoon that I spent part of a day extricating from my studio.  However, all that is behind me now and I have pulled the strip bins for this clue.  It looks like the Scrap User's System will once again pull through for me.  It is so fun to use up this older stuff and keep my new fat quarters and yardage still intact for what is yet to come.




A couple hours of cutting and I soon have a tray full of rectangles and squares that are ready to play.  That's all I can do today, though, but it's a start right? 


12/14  Clue 4 came out today and, dang, it was just so much fun that I moved straight to it instead of tackling these units.  Why is that?  In order to appease my conscience, I take one set and draw lines while watching a show in the evening with my sweetie.  Lots and lots of lines.  Check out the tick marks on my paper.  Simple little step of putting a piece of paper down saves the table under it.  Ask me how I learned to do that - hahaha.

12/16  Having finished Clue 4, I am now able to focus on some sewing for this clue.  Starting out with two units as my samples and to check seam allowances, I like them.  Everything is spot on and I couldn't be happier.  Let's get those chains going.  As I complete the first seams, I just turn the string and sew the second line, saving the snipping apart for after both seams are in place.


A quick (well, not really) press and repeat those steps with the other side until I have these great chevrons and a stack of small HST's.  The rest of the snipping will have to wait until later this evening.


I have a bit of time tonight while watching The British Baking Show so I start in on the second set of squares that need to be marked and manage to get that step behind me.  I cannot tell you how happy that makes me.  Drawing lines is my least favorite thing to do but once those are finished, I reward myself with some snipping and soon all my chevrons for the first group are in the DONE column and I have a crazy big stack of bonus HST's to work with.

12/17  It seems like this clue is moving along at a turtle's pace.  A little bit here and a little bit there.  Tonight, the task is to press the HST's and trim the dog ears.  It truly is a "little" bit here . . .


12/18 I am determined today.  My sweetie starts his vacation tomorrow and there is no way I will get back to the sewing machine until maybe Sunday.  Another clue will already have released and I don't want to be behind again.  That means I have to buckle down and get the entire second set finished today.  Setting Netflix to Sugar Rush, I sew, sew, sew --- then snip, snip, snip --- repeat, repeat, repeat.  It's like one long hair washing episode - shampoo, rinse, repeat.  Somewhere along the way I discover that I didn't count well during the cutting stage of this set.  Apparently I cut way more of the bricks than the squares.  Since I simply chained away and then started the second side, you can probably already see what happens.  By the time I get to the end of my squares --- there are a LOT of units left that need their second square.  Back to the cutting table for more squares, attach them and continue on.  It does take almost the entire day with me even snipping while I'm waiting for dinner to cook.  Yep, the parts are in the kitchen.

With some HST pressing and snipping of dog ears while watching another GBBS episode, I get to call this one finished.  Can I get a Hallelujah?  Oh, and yes, I have a TON of extra units in the set on the left.


So where does this take me?  I have two really pretty trays sitting at the foot of my bed.  I think it's just part of the Christmas decor.  The ornaments are filled from this clue and I'm ready for the next step. 


Original Colors:


Second Colorway:


It feels good to be caught up and even though I'll be away from home on Friday, I promise I'll be peeking in bright and early once again.  Will you?  Thank you so much for stopping in.  If you found  your way here via Bonnie's Link-Up, here is your route back:  SIMPLY CLICK HERE.  This is just so much fun.  Until next week, keep on creating.

4 comments:

  1. Those week 3 units took me more than a week, and I was only doing one set. Congratulations on getting caught up on two sets! They are both looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. If I didn't love chevrons so much, I'm sure it would take longer but I actually do enjoy them and I try to do the bonus triangles naturally so this one fit my wheelhouse. I'm glad yours are finished too.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations for being up-to-date on TWO sets of pieces! Wow; I can't even find enough time for ONE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It really was easier the second time around. Does that help any? At any rate, I'm sure your ONE will be magnificent.

      Delete