Saturday, January 6, 2018

Waco One-Stop Shop Hop

Howdy!!!  Happy New Year!!!  I've been home with my sweetie enjoying the time together and working on a new project.  Oh gosh, come clean girl.  My sweetheart has been working from home sick since the beginning of the year - no real fun there - and my new project is scaring the you know what's out of me.  That's right -- the bejeebers.  Did you think something else was departing from me?  At any rate, MONTHS ago, I marked the date for the Waco Shop Hop as we all need a little gal time in January.  It turned out that Val needed to come this way to pick up a machine AND when mentioning this shop hop, Sharron agreed to tag along and the party had begun.  So from Houston, Spring, Athens, Mineola, McKinney, and Dallas our merry band is gathering in Waco.  Come along to peek on our fun.

Food!!!  Every good event has to include food of some sort.  Right?  Upon arrival in Waco - yes we synchronized our watches -- breakfast is first on the agenda.  What an amazing time.  It's as though we were just together yesterday -- truly like family.  Conversations, laughter, love and the comment, "I would have drove here just for breakfast with ya'll" warm our hearts and set the tone for the day.



Okay, okay --- ya'll want to see our fun at the shop hop.  After purchasing the tickets, into the hall we go.  I HAVE A LIST.  That's right.  Ya'll know I've take the UFO challenge and additionally am on a fabric fast.  The only fabric I can get must already have a home or be a white neutral.  I have plenty of cream/toasty neutrals but really am short on whites.  So that's it for this year - those neutrals or something required to finish an ongoing project/event.  I'll make one exception later in the year for my own mystery, if I need to.  Now, let's go shop.

Immediately, I find a great fat quarter for the exchange and then spot the 2017 Hoffman Challenge Exhibit.  Squirrel.  Leaving the booths behind, temporarily, over Sherri and I go.

In this challenge they had to use a specific fabric that was available in a full colored print or black and white.  It's great seeing what others can come up with.  I don't want to do it, but it's fun to see the other ones.  I'm sorry about the blurred picture.  Need to slow down.


My favorite of them all?  This one.  Oooooh.  It's call Winter Sunset and I THINK it's by Su Markes.  My memory fails me at times and in my picture, the glare makes it hard to read the name.  I do love it though.


As I'm about to return to the booths, a lovely, sweet lady comes up to me to introduce herself.  I'm so glad to meet you Paula and look forward to future adventures together.  She's from the Weatherford area (which I LOVE) and is hoping to attend one of our retreats.  The other gals introduce themselves too and now she can put faces to the names she sees online.  Welcome to our merry band, Paula.

The next booth has just what I'm looking for in fun white fat quarters.  I adore the Tootsie Rolls and once everyone sees the bugs, a dash to find more takes place.  I still think we are one short but will definitely keep my eye out for this fabric.  The shop occupying this booth is in transition.  You may have known of it as Tomorrow's Quilts but it is now PHD Quilts.  They know you well, Stephanie (My Imperfect Life Blog) and said to say hi.  So, enjoy their smiles.


Just around the corner, at Memories by the Yard, I find the batik for the Texas Tumbleweeds borders.  I am now ready for the Quilt-A-Long starting on February 1 AND a fun little pair of scissors is the almost gift to go with it.  I say almost, because they were only $1.99 with my purchase.  My list is officially complete.

The next booth offers me ANOTHER opportunity to see these great bags up close.  I've looked and looked at them.  They are huge and I would never carry one anywhere, but would be perfect in the studio.  It's a spot where I do like the Kaffe fabrics being used.  Hmmm.  I decide to get the pattern and the insert for the bottom.  This will use up some stash and be fun in the process.  Mister can find the clothesline for inside -- he'll love an excuse to go to the hardware store.

Just as I'm leaving the room for a moment, Phyllis is walking in.  Hello there.  It's so fun to see friends.  She is with her sweet husband and off they go.


Sherri and I take off for a quick hunt to find Fawn and Joyce.  Success.


I find one more pattern that could be used in my upcoming classes, and it is time to sit and relax with friends before our good-bye have to take place.  We were gifted bags at PHD Quilts and Sherri is just discovering that they go into a self-enclosed bag.  Yes, the rest of us knew that.  While sitting here, Ana comes by to  join in and tells me that she saw Janet and Doris.  Well, dang.  I need to have a quick hello myself and take off with camera in hand.  They are at the booth we spent time in as people were trying to fill their fat quarter exchanges - yes, good prices.  Howdy ya'll.  While I stand visiting with them, I notice that the sale fat quarters have been refilled.  I still need some for retreat in February so I dash back to grab some monies, return, and make my last purchase.


Back to the table for a little more time together.  Lori has just returned from winning an amazing door prize.  It's two complete jelly rolls and a couple of charm packs, all in batiks.  WOW.  She now will be playing in the Quilt-A-Long too.  (I THINK, this is where Sherri discovers that she has a coupon to use - did she?  I don't remember.)


Well, that's it.  Val and Sharron have to go and pick up the treadle, and everyone else has trips back home too.  What a totally fun day and I'm so very glad we did this.  Let's go Lori --- Dallas and McKinney await.

Here are my treasures for the day but I say that very tongue in cheek.  The true treasure is the time with ladies I am so thankful to have in my life.  Love ya'll and see ya soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment