Friday, November 4, 2016

Houston Quilt Festival - Day Two

Good morning.  As I step out of bed, I gingerly put my feet down.  Do they hurt as much as they did last night?  Nope.  Yay.  I am good to go.  It's time to get dressed and go to breakfast.  Val calls just as we are heading up and meets up with us for a wonderful visit.  It's always so good to be with her.

Okay, after breakfast it's time to get started again.  I have a plan.  Let me say that a bit louder.  I HAVE A PLAN.  I am going to go and finish the vendor area (and start that by redoing the last two aisles I did yesterday as I think I was a walking zombie by then) AND start on the quilts.  The show opens at 10 and I am giving myself until 1 to get into the quilt area.  Can I do it?  I'm gonna give it the old college try.



The first thing I do is backtrack to aisle 1600 so that I can look up that bag that Bonnie was telling me about yesterday.  Well golly.  She was right.  I LOVE it and purchase the pattern while snapping as  many pictures as I can of how it is made.  My sweet Featherweight is going to have a new carrying case.

The company hosting the booth is Quilts Illustrated, Inc.  and I love her pattern.  I am not sure if it will hold the original case too, but even still, it will allow me to carry my Featherweight with just one hand instead of two and that's always a good thing.


Now, back to aisle 1000.  As I work my way down it, I see a demo for making "batik" fabric with paint and a stamp.  No wax is involved so it's a bit different, but interesting.  The issue I see is that I don't need ANOTHER hobby and I could see this one taking up space.  Move on girl.

Or take a nap like this little lady is doing.  Nothing is bothering her even a little bit.

At the end of aisle 900, I come to the Olfa booth.  Now, I vaguely remember passing it yesterday and thinking that I don't have any need here.  Well, now that I am thinking clearer, I at least give the booth a glance.  BAD idea.

I watch a demo for quite awhile and also check out the folding cutting mats, enquiring about them intently.  Run, run, very fast.  This would be super pricey and I MUST be strong.  Go, go, go.

Early this morning I told myself that I needed to stick to the list today.  I still need to get the fat quarters for for the birthday exchange that starts in January and the magenta fabric for the mystery starting on Black Friday.  The fat quarters have specific requests so as I come across Webfabrics in the 800 aisle, I go to the list to see how many Kaffe's I need.  With those soon in hand, I am on my way again but not before I spot some lavender fabric that would be fun for the mystery.   I still move on.  I need to be good today.

One of the next aisles contains the quilt that you can get blocks for during the festival shop hop.  It's dang pretty, but being a newbie, I have absolutely no idea how to go about this.  Maybe next year.


The Shabby Fabrics booth has a winter quilt that grabs my attention hard.  The booth is absolutely packed and even though I find the pattern, the line at the checkout goes on forever.  I don't have time for this today so I put the kit back and grab a catalog from one of the staff.  I'll check it out online.

The fabric booth of Fabric Fanatics is next and I take advantage again of checking off some batik fat quarters that are on my list.  Familiar faces are once again in the mix and it's fun to say howdy.  They are absolutely swamped so my time is very limited but we manage a couple of pictures before I am on my way.


Another shop on aisle 400 catches my eye.  Oh, if Mister were with me I would be here for awhile and walk out spoiled.  I absolutely am mesmerized by this jewelry.  It is called Quilted in Clay and the detail is incredible.  I know that it is done with the same method as one of my turtle's back home, but that only intrigues me more.  I want, I want but I make it a policy not to buy myself jewlery if at all possible.  My sweetie loves to do it and so I take lots of pictures for him.  Yep, a method to my madness.  The prices are dang reasonable too.


It is almost lunch time and Sherry D. sent a message that she is in the food court.  I take a few minutes to go up and say hi real quick.  We will be seeing each other next week at the day retreat, but it's fun to see each other here too.

While we are chatting Sherri M. sends a message that she has arrived as well.  I head off to find her and see what's up.  I cannot believe how happy I am to see her and quickly move into a wonderful hug.  She is definitely a soulmate to me and I treasure our friendship intensely.  We get to visit for a bit and I walk her back down to the show to meet up with her friends again before heading back on my trek to finish the vendors.


As I am finishing aisle 100, I look up and see Val coming my way.  She is looking for me to start our viewing of the quilts.  A quick watch checks shows 1:00.  I did it.  Let's go.

Val worked here hanging quilts each day this week after her regular job.  She knew just where to start and what to point out to me.  I love that we both have a love for traditional blocks and some scrappy fun as well.  I stop in front of one and her words are, "I thought of you when I saw that one."  Oh she knows me well.

1. The quilt to the left is Jeu de Dames belonging to Anne-Marie Uguen from Paris, France.  She says, "This quilt circa 1840-1860 shows a Rail Fence pattern that was in fashion at the end of the nineteenth century.  The zigzag stripes define each block.  This is a memory quilt, dedicated to my friend, Josiane, who had prepared all these little squares for a future project.  I have imagined and given life to Josiane's project."




2. Below is Desert Sunset by Helen Young Frost in Tucson, AZ.  It is one of the mini quilts in the auction.  Those squares are TINY.


3. This is Sunkissed by Theresa Olson of Port Saint Lucie, FL.  She says, "After taking an applique class with Juanita Yeager, who uses Pellon 65 to make her applique pieces, I adapted her technique.  I added a layer of wool batting to the applique pieces, as well as the Pellon 65."  This is an original design from three different photographs.


4.  Grandmother's Cabin by Rahna Summerlin of Port Orange, FL.  It is an original design inspired by traditional quilts of the 1930's.  She says, "Inspired by traditional quilts of the 1930's, I combined several classic quilt motifs that are easily recognizable.  I put them into a single quilt to pay tribute to the style of the 30's era and our grandmothers that made them.  I challenged myself to use as many fabrics in the quilt as possible.  All the quilting was done free-motion on home machine.  This is my own original design."  Isn't it just oh so soft looking?


5.  Life is Delightful by Kazumi Matsuo of Japan.  I have to tell you that the quilts from Japan are absolutely amazing and most of them were "no photographs please".  I wish I had them to show you though.  Back to this one.  Kazumi says, "This quilt was created to commemorate my 60th birthday.  I expressed joy for my delightful life and gratitude to my family who live with me in this quilt."


6.  A Long Way Home by Amy Pabst.  It was inspired by the quilt Classic and Cool by Caroline Wilkinson.  Amy says, "This is a non-traditional layout of a very traditional block.  The quilt was paper pieced and has 3,028 pieces.  It was machine quilted on a Babylock Sashiko."  These strips are absolutely tiny.


7.  Reflections of Cape Town by Cynthia England of Dickinson, Texas.  It won the Handiquilter Best of Show Award and $12,500.  It is based on a photograph and is absolutely incredible in person.


8.  I neglected to get the information on this quilt and am not sure how that happened.  Perhaps my camera just didn't click.  I don't know.  What I do know is that it was all hand quilted and I stand in awe of it.  Being a hand quilter myself, I cannot comprehend how long this has to have taken.  It is simply amazing.

9.  This is Forever by Sechiko Suzuki of Japan.  The artist says, "This quilt was inspired by the applique pattern for a Baltimore Album quilt.  When I saw it, I thought that I wanted to age gracefully with my husband, just as the pigeons in the pattern.  Three flying birds symbolize our son, who have already, or will soon, be leaving nest.  I want them to return home sometimes."  The trapunto in here adds so very much.


10.  Winter Memories by Chicko Shiraishi, also of Japan.  It is an original design and she says, "I was inspired by The Little House on the Prairie book series, written by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  Long, severe winter days are written in this story many times.  It was so hard to live in those days, but Laura lived vigorously while finding daily pleasure."  I LOVE the lace overlay and crocheted stars in the borders.  Simply wonderful.


11.  Silk Road Sampler by Melissa Sobotka of Richardson, TX and winner of the Koala Studio Master Award for Innovative Artistry and $5,000.  Melissa says, "Where East meets West in Istanbul, there is a spice bazaar that has been there since 1597.  There, surrounded by exotic smells and tastes, the vibrant colors of the Silk Road come alive.  One vendor had so many ornate pillows of various colors and designs, it was like viewing an applique sampler."  I can't even begin to express to you how beautiful and incredible this quilt is.  Just listening to her explain how she created the details and the happy surprises that came along on their own was compelling.  It was very hard to walk away and let others hear and see.


12.  Quahadi by Marla Kay Yeager.  Her comments are, "Quahadi was five years in the making from drafting the original traditional block, to the refining and creation of two tops to achieve this piece.  There were many challenging obstacles to overcome throughout the process -- from drafting to paper piecing to the use of a complex numbering system to integrate and balance the 23 colors.  The quilting process took about six months to complete.


13.  Summer Solstice by Leah Gravelis of Alberta, Canada.  This is an original design and I am again standing in awe of it.  It is a quilt-as-you-go and the strips are miniscule.  Leah says, "I was inspired by the views from my studio window in Edmonton on June 22, 2015 at 11:30 p.m.  In Canada's most northern city, the sky glows as the longest day passes to night with twinkling lights in the landscape.


14./15.  There is a display of dresses based on quilts that could no longer be used or repaired.  The task was to turn them into something wearable.  These two were my favorites.


16.  An entire collection entitled Cowboys, Horses, Quilting, and Leather caught my eye next.  The artists is Cathy Wiggins of North Carolina and she stitches and dyes the leather into magnificent quilts.  One of my favorite ones is Home.  Here is what she says about it:  "There aren't many things more beautiful than a finely tooled western saddle.  I wanted to create that look with quilting.  The leather is quilted, then dyes are used to achieve the desired tooled look.  I used actual western conchos on the saddle and studs on the hat brim.  I love the raw edges of the hides and try to incorporate them into my designs whenever possible."  These take me back to my days when horseback riding was part of my life and the smell of new leather permeated many parts of life.


17.  Dear Jane:  An Out of Hand Experience by Bonnie Robottom of Calgary, Alberta and quilted by Sharon Blackmore.  Bonnie says, "My challenge with Dear Jane originally was to take traditional quilt and piece it with modern fabrics.  I am very pleased with how my Dear Jane adapted to the 21st century fabrics and techniques to produce and lovely quilt."  I have a Dear Jane on my bucket list and so check these out whenever possible.  The colors in this one are quite unique.


18.  Jane, My 8 Year Journey by Connie Drake of Independence, MO.  This is more along the color scheme I am thinking of using in my own.  Connie says, "I became acquainted with Dear Jane in 2007, while visiting a local quilt shop.  I saw some women working on their little squares and thought they looked easy and shouldn't take too long.  Oh, what a silly thought!  I purchased my Dear Jane book at that time.  My real journey with Jane started in 2009 after retirement.  Feeling a little lost, with no real plans, she gave me a goal to work towards.  After reading several books on how to make scallops, I got brave enough to finish my Jane.  Because of Jane I have met other quilters who have become good friends and have joined a quilt guild."


19.  Star Crossed by Sonja Kraus of Dalworthington Gardens, TX who says, "My quilt is based on an antique quilt circa 1870.  The blocks were the result of an exchange with the Patchwork Divas."  I love the little stars so very much.


At this point, Val has to get back to work so that she can come back for her class later.  We say good-bye knowing we will be together again in February at retreat.  Until then, my friend.

I decide to try and finish the side that we have been looking at together and so continue on my eye candy feast.

20.  Cabin Trees by Ramona Williams of Missouri City, TX.  I love this combination of blocks so much.  Something similar may happen in my future.  Ramona says, "Love, love, love the trees until I started to piece them.  I've dreamt of owning a quilt with trees but the little pieces became a nightmare to finish.  I wanted a lap size quilt but did not want to make more tree blocks so I decided to put them on point and add the alternate Log Cabin blocks."  I think it turned out pretty cool but understand that all those little triangles could get to someone.


21.  Don't Fence Me In by Carol Staehle of Arlington, TX.  BASKETS!  I have not made baskets yet.  I really like the simplicity of this top.  Carol says, "Zigzag borders make interesting borders when they mathematically fit the block.  When that doesn't work, as in this case with the Basket blocks, one option is to make a length of border and cut it at the needed dimension and sew it on.  It makes an unusual frame for the Basket blocks we exchanged."


22.  African Vase by Peggy DeLaVergne of Dublin, TX.  Isn't this scrappiness so wonderful?  Even the flowers are scrappy.  Peggy writes, "I wanted to use as many African fabrics in this quilt as I could, and I wanted to have unique flowers on the quilt as well.  I wanted to do something with a flower vase so I decided to do Nine Patches in African fabrics and cream with gold as the background choice to start the quilt.  Then I added three borders.  Light bulb moment - I created a large vase using a modern fabric and then added the flowers to make the quilt complete."


Okay that's my show for today.  I know, I know.  There are so many more.  I just determined not to go crazy and kept with the quilts that spoke to me personally.

At the end, I saw these two ads.  The first one is for next year in Houston and the second one is for Chicago in 2017.  Any takers?


It's now after 3 and I haven't eaten lunch.  I am starving and head off for some food.  Pappasito's is almost empty as compared to last night so I belly up to the bar and order a sangria and a couple of tacos.  Before I know it, I have enough food for two people - no doubt.  As I'm enjoying my repast, Lydia lets me know she has finally located the missing Sharron and I agree to meet up with them as soon as my belly is happy.

I finish up a little after and aim myself towards the 200 aisle of the show which is where Sharron and Lydia are sitting and visiting.  Lydia and I switch places as she goes to find food and I get to have some one on one time with Sharron.  We walk a complete loop of the vendor area, stopping at Stitchin' Heaven so that I can pick up the remaining fat quarters I need.  Another thing checked off my list.  I think I'm just down to the magenta fabric now.  As we are walking back to the 200 aisle so that she can meet up with her friends, we spot these two ladies.  Now that's the spirit needed by everyone.  Perhaps next year.


I have to say so long to Sharron, but we will see each again in just a couple of weeks.  I sure hope she finds her phone at some point so that everyone won't worry so much about her.  Love ya Sharron.

Okay, I really need to finish my list.  I go back to one shop where I had spotted a magenta that might work.  Nope.  Now to just scan the aisles looking for fabrics.

As I come upon the spot where I had found the lilac fabric earlier, I am unable to resist this time.  I get enough to finish my backing and also make the binding for my mystery quilt.  Well, it wasn't on my list for now, but at least it's done and behind me.  While I am having my fabric cut, Janet comes down the aisle and we FINALLY connect.  I so love her wonderful smile and amazing attitude.  All my thoughts are with her for her upcoming surgery.

Okay -- MAGENTA!  Where are you?  As I'm walking toward the exit, on the end of a vendor shop that I've already been to, I spot the perfect fabric.  The trouble is there is only a yard.  I search out help to see if they have anymore and as luck would have it, they have ONE more one yard piece.  SCORE.  My list is completely finished.  Guess what?  SO AM I.  I am literally beat.  It is definitely time to return to the room and do a little relaxing for the evening.  I know there is a shower in store and the hope of keeping a few muscles from tightening up completely.

Before resting though, I get out the iron and prepare my owl woolie for it's journey home tomorrow.  It needs to be completed on the way home and in order for me to do that, I need to add the backing.  Now I am ready to kick back.

It's 8:00 p.m. and I am in bed.  Yep, such a party animal here.  I have no desire to do another single thing except watch a mindless show or play a game or two.  Sleep is coming quick tonight.

Here's today's treasure hunting.  What an incredible day.  I am still tossing around some items I located while walking the aisles.  I think I have 4 quick stops in the morning and then onto the rest of the quilts.  Checkout is at noon and we will be on the road shortly after that.  Good night Houston.

1 comment:

  1. Marvelous Day Two!! Look at all your goodies you found. Really enjoyed all the information on each quilt that spoke to you personally! Hugs and I look forward to spending time with you soon. Allison in Plano

    ReplyDelete