Sunday, March 31, 2024

March 2024 Quilt Update

 


Our theme this year, JOY!!!  I believe we all need a bit of a help in adding this to our lives.  If you didn't get a chance to check out the post explaining it all --- here is the LINK to the initial post.  I'm looking forward to the direction this can take us all, but especially myself, if I give it a fair shot.  Sometimes stepping out of comfort zones is challenging, but it almost always allows for growth.  Here we go for March:  How can we add joy to our lives this month?  Let's try some music.  It can calm, excite, and take us to a different place if we play it right.  Dance a little more (naked, all alone?) and let your home exude joy.  Turn off the television and put some tunes on the stereo that will take you to memory lane (in a good way) and just let the joy wash over you.  Go to a concert in a park (free, usually) or take in a local musical.  Let the music help you feel alive.

Now, if you are new to this blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document each day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.  There will be links throughout this update that go to related posts of MINE.  They will open in a new window so that you can keep your place here.  Just click on the hyper-links if you wish.  There are NO ADS.  Never have had them, don't intend to start unless my whole world gets turned upside down.


 In years past, I have set goals for each month that I NEVER was able to reach.  However, I NEED that guideline to follow, so I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  UFO mode will continue around here with minimal purchases (those who know me know that this has been a miserable failure so far the past couple of years, but I'm gonna keep on trying), but also a few fun and new items will make an appearance now and then.  The "hopeful attempts" will change each month and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.

1st - A new month for the Dear Jane sew-along. This is the Dear Jane LINK if you wish to join in and the March blocks are:  


I'm using my own random number generator, running a UFO Challenge in the Facebook group, and awarding prizes.  This month it is: 3 and for me that is the Joy-Filled BOM that I started receiving December of 2022.  Once I finished the blocks, it has kind of sat.  I did make progress on it last month so this is the one where it finishes.


Working on New York blog posts still.  Whew, finished up the last of the big ones, now to just do the daily work and I can breathe again before company arrives on Tuesday and a whole new group of adventures begin.  As hard as it is to believe, I do manage to get ALL posts done and start the new month with a clean slate.  Well, the house isn't clean, but . . . . ya know.

I have pulled fabrics for Gnomeo and Juliet and have the March project ready to cut.  The hope is to get these done before I have to clean house for visitors.


While pulling fabrics - I found the backing for POD and the new background as well.  We're closing in on this one.


2nd - Mail call today ---- Yep, I broke down and ordered the new Ingrid's Wildflowers from MSQC.  I do love embroidery and with the POD coming to a close, a new project that I can work on each month fits right in.


So - cleaning is starting.  I found my cruise necklace parts still sitting on my desk and decided to get it open and put together.  It's pretty cute, right?  If you don't know what this is about and wish to discover - all the links to our cruise can be found in the January and February posts - of which both links are at the bottom of this post.


Mister and I escaped after a very  busy day.  He worked in the yard all day and I continued on the declutter of the house in preparation of cleaning.  Yep, it's taking two stages this month.  However, before leaving, I did get the March project cut and all patterns for Sophie-Claire printed.  I also cut the binding/sleeve for my RR project and have the label items all collected.  This is what happens when you start cleaning up a room for family (not quilting friends) to come and visit.  "Oh, I have this project too.  What does it need?"  My Dear Jane for this month is all pulled and ready also.


Here is the LINK to our afternoon/evening.


3rd - So, today is a massive work day here.  Mister is outside again and I'm doing my best inside.  However, before I can finish cleaning the guest room, the sewing machine needs to be cleared of the projects under the needle.  One last seam on Loyal Union happens - I'm only 3 away but it will have to wait.


Before I put the machine away, I grab some blue fabric from out back and quickly cut it into two pieces to make a backing.  One last seam, it's done and the machine can be cleaned up and put away.  (This is VERY blue - bad picture.)


The remainder of the day is spent cleaning house - I manage to get it to only the kitchen and main bathroom left for tomorrow.  Oh, and laundry.  We even cleaned the patio furniture out back and have it ready for guests as well - that included trimming tree branches.  Progress.

Once our exhausted bodies hit the sofa - there was no way I was cooking anything so pizza arrives and I put a few stitches into a POD block.  Three titles done and so am I.  Off to bed.


4th - It's my last day before family time.  The list is still long, but I have faith.  Went to the post office to mail the composition books to Cassie - those birthdays are done for this year.  Woot woot.  Found a trip I want to take and just need time to talk with my love.  Laundry and some internet surfing.  Isn't this a cool quilt?


All the tasks are done - the house is ready for guests and I'm oh so ready to just sit down.  Hand work time.  I manage to get two more book titles done and start the paper removal.  That's it for tonight.


5th - My niece and nephew are in town with their son, Greyson, and my day is spent enjoying time with them.  Here is the LINK if you wish to peek in.  We went to Dallas Blooms (tulips are divine)and spent some time with animals, too.



Super fun day.


Dinner down in Deep Ellum and a nice sunset.


6th - Day 2 with family and loving life.  Fort Worth today and here is your LINK to our fun.



7th - I'm not letting rain ruin my day!  We are off to Grapevine for today's fun and you have a LINK, as always.


Dallas made of LEGO's


Meow Wolf fun (so many cool pics in the link).


I did it - I our trip on hold, but I'll book it for sure.  We are taking a cruise out of Manhattan next August and will go in a few days early to finish up some of the things we missed this trip.  The cool thing about this cruise is that it goes to Bermuda and stays there for 3 days.  We are going to truly explore the country.



8th - It's our last day with Jill and Brock.  Mister is free today as well so we are going to pack in the morning before they have to head to the airport.  Come along through this LINK and enjoy the fun.  It's still raining, so first stop is indoors at the Dallas World Aquarium.




Finally, the rain has ended ---- Zoo time!!!  We held this for the last day so all could enjoy together.



9th - Well, the house is quiet again.  We are back on our own.  It's Saturday and after a leisurely morning, we're off to a market in Garland.


Mister and the Easter Bunny!   Yes!!!


Our treasures from the market - 


Lunch at the Blue Rat.  So, so good.



Went home for a bit and did the final booking for the Bermuda trip.  Also put a cruise on hold for the quilt gals.  I said I would do it one more time - this is the time.  After this, just traveling without handling it for others.  We went back out for the afternoon and I found a very large Chuck the Duck.


10th - Coffee at the lake watching the pelicans.  This has to be one of my favorite ways to spend time.





That is until this terrible dog owner got in our faces because HIS dog wasn't leashed.  It is posted multiple places here AND he came up to us - we didn't even know he was there until he was literally brushing up against me.  Fear set in and, well, the man didn't take the request well and slapped Mister's coffee out of his hand, tried to knock his hat off, and attempted to push him off the pier into the lake.  Multiple moments of name calling on his part and, well, yuck.  If you know him, I'm sorry.


One last look and time to go.


11th - Trying to get back on track a bit and find the sewing mojo.  I really don't have it this month, for some reason.  In the studio tackling some applique.



Then, inside and put this together.  It is TA-DONE!!  Love it.


While in the studio, I pulled fabrics for two very large POD blocks - a sword and a broom.  


Also pulled for my Sophie-Claire block exchange.  I'm not ready to start actually sewing yet, but each progress is happening.


12th -  The morning is spent working on pictures and trying to get on top of the blog once again.  Then a little cutting - the filler blocks for Barn Star are ready to sew.


Backyard activity -- the Cedar Wax Wings are visiting.



At this point I became a slug.  No kidding.  I have absolutely nothing to show for the rest of my day.

13th - Back working on pictures and blog posts.  I am, once again, determined to be current.  Then off to the cutting table for Gnomeo and Juliet.  So, I worked pretty hard on figuring out the best use of my fabric and these were my scraps.  Decent.  I moved on to all other fabrics, but didn't keep a log of those pieces.  It just got too complicated, but hopefully, the background will help others as well.  There are a LOT of pieces in this project.


I want to just sit for awhile.  Handwork helps me believe I'm still being productive.  Merrie Halloween for the month is done.


AND, I've picked out all the papers and finished the tiny letters as well on this POD block.  I am down to ONE book block to finish and then I get to start the background blocks.  Woohoo!!!  The white thread with the bubbles was probably  not the best choice and the pink is far from straight, but it's done.


14th - Today the flights and Statue of Liberty tickets for August have been purchased.  Woot woot!  We just have rooms left and Mister is getting those with points.  Airline tickets were less than $200 each round trip.  I'm stoked.  Trip will be paid for and we'll just have fun.  I have had a talk with myself regarding preparing better meals and so today I tried to make a nice dinner and managed to totally screw up the food processor - resulting in one big mess of which I didn't take pictures.  ARGH.  Back to sewing and the last book block is DONE!!


After my defeating day, Mister took pity on me and we went to OHB for a little fun.


Settled for tiny pancakes to eat.


15th - Hit the road early this morning for Cleburne and Sam's house.  Here is the LINK to a rather small post, but still a record of our time together. Sam and Gwen and I are having few Girl's Days together.  I've brought my POD sword to work on.  It's HUGE and all these pages have to be taped together.  I was NOT prepared well for this.  Thankfully, Sam had tape I could use.



I managed to get the blade done today.  


16th - Good Morning from Cleburne!!  Another fun day and I've finished my sword.  It's HUGE!!


Dinner at Pastafina's gets us a picture together.  Camera has been away most of the weekend.


17th -  It's a pack up and go morning.  One last look before it's all put away.


Good-byes are said and I'm on the road back to Dallas.


On the way home, I call Mister and mention that I haven't had breakfast - does he want to go get some?  Yep, a stop at Dallas Diner and then, since we're out, we just decide to get some spices and then go on a washer hunt.  Here is a LINK to the rest of our day --- no washer, but . . .  a new mattress comes tomorrow.


Two new stops make happen as well and are fun.  A brewery - 


and Portillo's.  We hadn't been to a Portillo's since Chicago and we likely won't return to the brewery.


18th - First things first.  Clean the bedroom in preparation for the new mattress.  Next, put all the spices away and that means trouble.  The spice cabinet is driving me crazy.  Time to redo it.  I've ordered new spice holders and hopefully that will help.


and, the bi-monthly trip to the laundromat happens too.  Nope, still no washer.


19th - I should be sewing, but the mojo is just not there right now.  However, it is in full force for cooking.  So, so good - Phyllo packets made with sockeye salmon.


My order for two spice cabinets shows up.  Okaaaay.  First off, the cabinet is not even in original packaging and I ordered two of them.  Secondly, I did not order this long wrench handle.  What the heck?  Online I go to get this straightened out.


Something sewy - my last Sew Sampler arrived.  Yep, I said I would do it for one year and this is the last one.


Mister took the whole "music" part of joy to heart this month.  He has moved all cd's out of the cases and into sleeves.  Now the alphabetical sort begins.


So, we had cd's packed into these two drawers before and now . . 



AND this was packed as well.  Nothing here now.  Time to use the stereo more.


20th - Yesterday, at the grocery store, strawberries were cheap so today is jam day.  I haven't made jam for a few years now and Mister mentioned that we were almost out.  Not anymore.


A couple of BOM's are cut - DM and PF - while my dinner cooks.


Mustard crusted rack of lamb.  


So nice.


Now, for the evening fun.  I saw online this morning that there is a new art installation at NorthPark Mall and we are off to explore it.  Here is a LINK to all the magic we saw.  It was simply beautiful.


Additionally, a stop at Eataly nets us a new pasta maker.  I can't wait to try it out.


21st - The second round of spice racks arrives today and I've moved everything to different cabinets (Mister has no idea where anything is anymore and I LOVE it.  Yes, it takes up more room, but I can find what I want.



Now for some fun.  I am making a turkey soup and want homemade noodles.  A quick search and some fun with the machine gives me just what I'm looking for.



See?  AND, it is so good.  I even made a homemade salad dressing to go with.  Feeling productive and bit chuffed.


Iris are in the yard.  Spring is here.


22nd - I am struggling with sewing mojo, but know I need to push through it and at least accomplish a wee bit this month.  Barn Star filler blocks are being worked on as are the Pressed Flower BOM and DM BOM and a binding for the Round Robin.  Hands on lots of projects at once.


23rd - Weekend fun in Texas.  I absolutely adore this time of year and cannot wait to get out and about.  Here is the Bluebonnet LINK to share in our early morning adventure.



More took place, but ya gotta click on the link.  Waxahachie fun.

24th - We are having a flower weekend and today is Dallas Blooms together.  Here is the Arboretum LINK to the beauty we are able to see bright and early in the morning.  No sleeping in this weekend, but so worth it.


25th - Okay, the push is on to finish a few things before month end.  I also will be losing a few days to prepare the guest room for our nephew who is moving back from New York and staying with us for a bit until his furniture arrives.  So - today the stack of items started the other day are now finished.  Pressed Flowers final block, Designer Mystery BOM, and the Barn Star filler blocks.  Whew.


I go straight into finishing setting Pressed Flowers and adding the borders.  Backing is one big seam - done and this one is ready to quilt.  It just needs the label and the more I think about it, I may make a sham to match and this one will be a gift later on this year.  


Labe and binding for Round Robin are done.


Borders and binding for Loyal Union also went into the done column today.  Nice.


26th - Fresh Raspberry Turnovers for breakfast today.  My tastebuds are dancing.


SIX Dear Jane blocks are done today.  It went well and I'm so thankful this month.


27th - Giving the pasta maker a chance at spaghetti today.  Worked out pretty well.


Fresh sauce as well - so good.


Yum - loving the cooking mojo.


Finished up the Dear Jane blocks for April - breathing a little easier now.



28th - I have to get very serious about cleaning the guest room today.  He arrives tomorrow.  However, I'm still sewing on the Loyal Union top and it's going to be ready to quilt before I put the machine away.  TA-DA.  Backing is a 108 so nothing to do there, binding was done a couple of days ago and I just need to do a label.  However, this is the threadiest top I've ever made.  It will take forever to get it clean enough to drop off at MSQC.


Onto the bedroom for the rest of the day AND then a trip to laundry so that's behind me as well.

29th - Cleaned the rest of the house today and moved a ton to the studio.  I'll be working out there next month and I tried to find homes for everything, but . . . there is just too much.  Another reason I'm on declutter and get done mode.  Airport pick up after six, then dinner at Intrinsic.  Nice night out, but a bit windy.



30th - Mister and Bobby are off to check out his apartment and get the keys.  Meanwhile, I'm heading to the studio and quilting up Joy-Filled.  This is my UFO for the month and I'd be a terrible hostess if I didn't get it done.  Having a little fun along the way.


Coming off the frame --- yes.  I trimmed it up right away and then sewed the binding on.  Just handwork left.


Time for some fun - we were off to OHB and here is the Easter Egg Hunt LINK


Then, I stayed up until almost 2 a.m. working on the binding for my quilt.  Just one small section remains.  Yay!!

31st -  An early morning jaunt to the Arboretum and some walking to enjoy the beauty of the world on this lovely Easter Morning.  Happy Easter and here is the Dallas Blooms for Easter LINK to share in our walk.


Home - quick finish to the binding and it is TA-DONE.  I made it.  Yay for Joy-Filled and I am, honest.


Now to get all the postings for April up and ready.  All pictures done, blog current and I'm ready for another month.  I didn't get as much done sewing this month, but I do love the other items that took place.  What will April bring?


Did you find Joy in Music this month?  We sure did in our house.  All music was gone through and reorganized and is being listened to once again.  It's so nice.  Now, for this month  - find the joy in work.  It does exist and the type of work is up to you.  Work is defined as "exertion or effort directed to produce or accomplish something."  You can do it.  Find it.  You will be happier due to it.


Thank you for reading this far.  If you made it here, kudos to you.  Hope you have a great month and find a way to bring joy into your life.  Stay creative Y'all.

I've tried to make a COMPLETE list here so that I have only one place to look it all up.  I apologize in advance for the boring nature of this to y'all, but it helps me.  I've made quite a few category changes this year - anything to help stay on top of things.

Projects ready to quilt by me:   

*Joy-Filled - quilt and bind - DONE


UFO's to finish:  *means on UFO Monthly Challenge sheet

Alphabet project from MSQC 2022 - 
Second Half Moon Rising project from MSQC 2022 - 
*Snail Trail Quilt from MSQC 2022 - set, backing, label, binding, quilt and bind
BAD blocks as leader/enders - 
*Rhododendron Trail - 
*Sandcastles - set, backing, label, binding, quilt and bind
Midnight Flight - 
Daybreak -
*Round Robin (mine) - backing, label, binding, quilt and bind label/binding/backing DONE
Row by Rows - 
*Rachel's Sewing Room - quilt borders and attach all parts
Desert Sky - 
*Ruby Jubilee - 
Feathered Star BOW - 
*Pat Sloan quilt - Porch Swing
Designer Mystery 2022 - 

Current Projects:

Designer Mystery - Block done
Pressed Flowers BOM - block 12 done, quilt set, backing made, just need label.  It is ready to quilt
Loyal Union Sampler -  ready to quilt, just needs label done
Dear Jane - current
Country Christmas BOM  - 
Harry Potter BOM - all book blocks embroidery finished and sword block done
Barn Star BOM - filler blocks done
Merrie Halloween BOM - done
One Block Wonder - 
Looking Through the Lattice - 
Periwinkle Star - 
Paper-Piece Project - DONE

New for this year: 

Turtle Items
Gnomeo and Juliet - cut out
Pillow Exchange
Penguin Mug Rugs


Items being held for MSQC in July

*Anna's Baskets - ready to quilt
Barbara Brachman Civil War Sampler - ready to quilt
Oh Happy Day - ready to quilt
Forever My Valentine - ready to quilt
Summer Moon - ready to quilt

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- 
Stocking - in Montana, will work on there
Wool Wall Hanging - 

Links to Previous 2024 Monthly Posts - 

No comments:

Post a Comment