Wednesday, September 30, 2020

September 2020 Quilt Update


September has arrived!  Each month of this year becomes more challenging with my theme.  Sometimes I think I should just toss it out and start again --- something most people wish they could do with 2020.  At any rate, I think I have another version for you.  One of my favorite things in the whole world are waterfalls.  Have you been around one that ROARS?  The picture above sure makes me feel the word right through the screen.  How about Niagara Falls?  I've not been there (on my list), but I've heard tell that it does indeed ROAR.


Perhaps this picture is more calming to you.  It's ROARING though, I promise and perhaps THAT is the lesson for this month.  AT least for me.  I wish to stay calm through the storm that 2020 is.  I wish to ROAR with productivity and laughter.  Are you with me?


Now as for this post --- I didn't end August or start September in the manner I wished, leading me to think that perhaps this next photo needs to be recreated this fall at a retreat.  What do you think?  The 20's are Roaring Again and are you joining in with our own group ROAR?  I posted all the details in a separate post and here is the Theme LINK to get the details if you want to join in.


If you are new to the blog, you may be asking, "just what is a monthly update?"  I decided long ago that I just can't keep up with blogging daily.  I just can't.  Sooooo, what happens is I document a day in my life within one post and if something special happens, a separate post takes place.  See, you can stay caught up with a once a month check and then, if you're interested, see the other posts too.  It's a great system for me.

In years past, I have set goals for each month and I will continue to do that simply to keep myself on track.  I AM still in UFO mode around here and trying oh so hard to use or clean out the stash.  It will be an ongoing project this year.  If I want something to come in -- something has to go out.  That is one goal.  The balances change each month (hopefully) and will always show up at the bottom of the update if you read that far - and they are joined by links to the previous monthly updates for the year.

Now, grab a cuppa and sit back for a fun read and perhaps a new idea or two.   (P.S. I format on a computer, so if you are reading on a phone, well sometimes the pictures will be before or after the story.  It is what it is.)

So ---- here's September and all the wonderful fun it provided.  Please remember that any links in here will  open in a separate window so that you can keep your place on this page at the same time and there are no ads or popups EVER

1st -  September means Autumn to me.  Yep, even the first of the month.  I know, I know --- it doesn't actually occur until the 21st, but not to me.  I LOVE Autumn.  It is by far my favorite month and it usually signifies travel time for us.  This year has been so challenging, but we are going to Montana and I'm looking forward to it.  The plan has been to drive, but Mister raised the question of flying today.  Hmmm --- some quick looks and we just can't make the flights work at a reasonable price.  Well, it was a good thought - back to driving.  Meanwhile, here in Dallas, rain is on the way.  I'm so good with that.

I've decided to really push today and see how much I can take off the list since I'll be gone for 8-10 days.  When I finished my BINGO card yesterday, I was left with more strips to cut for the row by row and, boom, they are done and ready to sew.


While at the cutting table, I get after that tub of 2 1/2" strips for a block exchange I am participating in .  Each person has to make 30 6 1/2" block, but I offered to make two sets as Sam was short a few people.  Time to cut.  All the whites are tone-on-tone and the colors are to be BRIGHT.  When you are working from precut 2 1/2" strips, it doesn't take very long BUT the white strips were from a Jelly roll and I had to sliver trim each piece.  It drives me nuts that they can't cut these straight.  Especially for the price of them.  Grrrr.

Now, to the machine and about 3 hours later, I have all the blocks completed ---


AND I even sewed the row by row mountains along the way.  It's been a GREAT first day of the month.  My evening project is to cut out the applique pieces for this.


2nd -  Late last night, my second Farm Girl book was delivered.  I am up super early and quietly sitting with graph paper and pencil.  The project really has me excited for some reason and I have opted to do a larger version, requiring both books.

 It started out with me drawing a version with just the original book, but I want to use the barns and my layout required 5 double blocks, which I just don't want.  If I do both books, it comes out even and all blocks are used.  For me, that works and since they are just 6 1/2" blocks, they will go quick each month.  Set aside one day and I'll stay on task.


Now to press on the applique pieces for the row by row and add interfacing to the back.  It's ready for final stitching.


Now --- I really want to clean up the living room and there are a couple of projects sitting on the machine out here.  First up is the jelly roll that I found last month and the leftover batting.  Just to give you some perspective, it is now time for breakfast and I put oatmeal on to cook -- it takes 10 minutes.  During those 10 minutes, I get the ENTIRE jelly roll sewn end to end.  Ten minutes can accomplish something.  Trimming ends and pressing takes place after breakfast and then I just start in making rope with the leftover batting.  I know I don't have enough but will go as far as I can.  The rug will have to be finished at the end of the month when I have leftover batting again.  This is all assuming I get my backside in gear and actually go quilt something.  I make it about halfway.


About now, I think to myself that I should check flights one more time.  Lo and behold, I find round trip tickets (3 days out - who would believe it) for $230 per person.  OMG.  I jump on it and we are now flying.  Time to rethink the packing and what to take with as I won't have 50 hours in a car.

Now --- both Whims blocks are ready to quilt.  They are up next and although it takes me most of the rest of the afternoon (along with making lunch and brownies - the ones I never made earlier in the week), I have the living room all cleaned up and settle in on the sofa to bury threads by 5 p.m.

 By the time Mister is finished working and joining me, I am ready to trim and call these blocks done.  Whew.  It feels good to have them out of the way first thing in the month.  Next month I won't set up the table until towards the end and then do Octobers and Novembers before cleaning up the room again.

My reason for cleaning the room???  To have floor space for layouts, of course.

3rd -  Packages are just so fun, right?  My fabric for November have arrived and I can't wait to use these in other projects as I only needed fat quarters.  I'm sure I can find a great place for the rest.

I have a LONG list of things to do today and that means, walking away from the computer and making them happen.  With an empty living room floor, I can layout some quilt tops.  First, baby quilt.  It's now stacked and ready for webbing.  One down.

Next was some work on Journey ---- yes, it's still happening and I still can't show anything but only for three more days.  Then, bits and pieces.

One of the items on my list is to clean up my room so that I can at least walk through it and lay out a suitcase to pack.  When my mother-in-law passed away last September, I received her sewing basket and I haven't really wanted to go through it until today.  Healing must have occurred.  This was so fun and I'm putting it near my chair in the living room for handwork.

Now --- Witch's Night Out is also on the list for layout today.  Parts - oh so many parts - and this . . .


becomes this so quick that my excitement level rises.  Sewing was not part of the plan today, but this is like a jigsaw puzzle and is calling to me.  By noon I have three rows completed and a bit of the last one.  A break for lunch and then back at it until around 2.


The center is complete and the outer borders are made and waiting.  I LOVE it.


Since we are flying, Mister asked if I could make him another mask to take along ---he gave away his extras and has only had one for awhile.  Easy peasy --- and I had some black fabric still sitting out from working on the row by row.


Speaking of --- this is on my list for today too.  All the applique work is finished and this block is TA-DONE.


I found this pattern today while cleaning my room.  I think some retreat projects will happen with this --- so, so cute.


4th - I feel a bit frantic today.  Why?  Well, we are traveling to Montana tomorrow and I feel as though I just have so much still to do before departing.  We are up early and I'm hitting the ground running.  With nice weather this morning, the studio's mess is first on the agenda.  This also serves two purposes and I wish to bring in the fabrics I pulled for Orca Bay AND I want to pull fabrics for the two little wall hangings I showed yesterday.


 It's a bit of a mess and the beach tub is even still right in the middle of the room and unpacking it is just so depressing.  Grrrr.  At any rate, by the time I am finished, the fabrics have been pulled and all is right in this small world once again.


Once upon a time these white shelves were chock full of UFO's.  I'm making a dent.  It's slow, but sure for me.  Perhaps another one of these tubs will make it's way onto the machine this year.  I have hope.

All of the fabrics/strings for the two wall hangings are now on the cutting table in the house. (Yes, it's now too warm to continue working out in the studio.)  The hope is to trace all the designs onto fusible webbing, iron the webbing to fabric, and have these all ready for cutting before the day is out.  I have laundry going as well and need to pack.  Go girl go.


Mister has been busy too --- all the basil was trimmed and I'm now rigging a line for them to dry while we are away.

The living room floor still has Witch's Night Out laying there staring at me.  Okay --- first things first -- borders go on.  Now I can put this away and deal with the backing/binding/label when I get back home.  I will admit that this was the most fun I've had setting a quilt.  Honest.

One of the row by rows that I want to take on the trip so that I can cut out pieces, needs the same process as the wall hangings, BUT, it also needs the base cut and fused.  Done.


 By the time I finally am able to clean up the cutting table, I have finished the laundry, packed and cleaned out my room, emptied all the trash in the house and discovered how much garbage is in my purse and tote bag.  The bright side is ----- all the parts are now fused and ready to cut.

 Only the row by row is going with me so that I have something to do while sitting in layovers, but that's okay.  I'm breathing easier.  Now, for some "empty the refrigerator" dinner and an episode of Amazing Race.  Tomorrow, the fun begins.

5th -  We are off to Montana, via a 4 hour layover in SLC. 


During the layover, I work on cutting out another row by row - gotta keep those hands busy.


So, at this point Blogger put in a new interface and I'm struggling to format these pictures.  ARGH.  It is very challenging to wrap text around an image, or to put pictures side by side.  It may alter all that I do in here and that is kind of sad to me.

We have spent time with family, a lakeside dinner, sunset on the water, and an all around enjoyable evening.  It really does make one reevaluate a lot of their own life.  If you wish to peek in on our journey (did you get that?), here is the LINK.

With that said, tomorrow is the release of Journey --- can't wait to share the fun.


6th -  It's a Journey release!!!!  Here is your Clue 1 LINK if you wish to join in.


This week is flying geese and here are mine:


Now, back to where I am today.  Montana is simply divine and today is a boating day.  At stop at the store for water/sunscreen, etc. has me peeking at the beer --- lookie, lookie.  No, I didn't purchase it.    


Boating time!!!


Upon our return, I took the time to write on the exchange blocks I made.  They are now ready to go for the October retreat.


7th -  We are spending the day at Mom's just visiting, with a trip to town for groceries being our big foray out.  Throughtout the day, I have managed to finish two quiet book pages.  Well, finish the hand work at least.  They both need to be attach to the pages still.  Yes!



8th -  It's just another day in paradise.  My heart is truly at peace here.  I know, I know - changes must happen and we're just not quite ready yet.  Mister and I took a drive to Swan Lake and you can see all that we say by clicking on this  LINK .  


Two more pages on the quiet book have been completed.  Between rising early and having quiet time and a few stitches here and there throughout the day, I have this one ready to pack away, awaiting final page backing.



9th - Breakfast out, a stop at the grocery store and a Hutterite stand, making one more quiet book page and preparing a family dinner are the days' moments.  I am completely content.  Now that I post this picture, I'm sensing it is not truly done.  Something is missing on the face and I think there needs to be a "hole" inside the little door.  I'll fix at home.




10th - Mister and I are on our own today and a drive west to Libby, up to Eureka and back down to Woods Bay is the plan.  Two breweries, a quilt shop, a chainsaw competition, Libby Dam, and the Kookanusa Bridge all make an appearance.  Take a moment to check out this Day trip LINK to see some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen - truth.

As we arrived in Libby, I wanted to stop at a quilt shop and Mister was happy to oblige.  Here is the The Quilt Cottage LINK for you to check it out and see how cute it is.  However, I will share the sign spotted in the parking lot.  Fun, right?



We also stop for lunch at a brewery while here --- these quilts are hanging on the wall so I thought I'd share with y'all.



There was a chainsaw competition going on and Mister spotted these turtles for me (so many cool pictures in the day trip link)


All in all, it was a great day.  No sewing accomplished, but I'm okay with that.

11th -  I'm hand stitching this morning - working on the last quiet book page I've brought with me.  I don't think I'll finish it before we leave, but a bit here and there is still making progress.  Lots of visiting and family time with a dinner in downtown Bigfork.  Here is your  LINK to our day.  


12th - 


It's a Journey day (while I'm on a journey of my own).  If you wish to check out this year's mystery, here is the Clue 2 LINK

My early morning stitching makes more progress on the quiet book page and all my houses are now sewn.  I know, I know -- pictures or it didn't happen, but I didn't take any.  After saying good-bye to Mom, our trip to the airport included lunch with my sister and brother-in-law and that made the day so much easier.  I hate leaving.  A nice stop at a local market and I'm in the mood for fall.  How about you?


Hello there Dallas --- we're home.


13th - An early morning down time and then we just can't lose the whole day and made plans to go down to Deep Ellum.  However, the mail included some deliveries while we were on our trip and I have these great charms for my October and November mini-classes at retreat as well as an upcoming item in October.  Are they not the bomb?


Mister is watering outside and spots this little fella on the grass.


And snails!!!!  It must have been damp here while we were away.



The afternoon fun is a new-to-us brewery in Deep Ellum.  Here is the LINK to check it out and meet some new friends.  A stop at the grocery store and pick-up dinner of Pho end the day.


14th -  My sweetheart wants to enjoy ALL of his last vacation day so we are out and about.  Please click on this LINK for some great photos and videos of our fun.  We left home early and returned late.  Stops at the coffee shop, zoo, False Idol, Schlotskys, and Intrinsic.  Whew.  Just a bit of beauty to wet your appetite.  Love the colors here.



15th -  We are back to normal, I guess.  Routine life.  It is what it is.  I've gone through the mail, paid the bills, developed trip pictures, started the blog posts, organized retreat stuff, and, FINALLY, as I unpacked and found my trip projects, began some fun.  I ironed all the parts cut out in SLC onto my row by row block.  It's ready for applique now.


So --- remember how I said I thought the squirrel page needed something?  Well, it's fixed now.  I've added a nose and mouth and a hole in the tree.  Now, it's ready to attach to a backing.


I had also worked on the houses page (without any pictures) and ran out of red thread on the plane.  With that added and the shoelaces in place, this one is finished as well.


16th -  Morning time at the computer means more pictures developed, another post completed, and those little bits and pieces of life put in place again.  Now -- today needs to show some progress.  Deadlines are looming.  First up is the baby quilt.  I get the backing cut and binding made.



The label is done as well and this one is ready to quilt.


Witch's Night Out needs parts made too and I set to work on the backing.  Oooooh, this might be one of my all-time favorites.


The binding goes together quick and this one is just short a label, but it is ready to quilt.


Last, but not least, for today --- my Farm Girl fabrics arrived.  Yep, I splurged.  I'm gonna really love this quilt.  There are 34 fat quarters in the main pack and 15 additional fat quarters in the second set.


17th -  We are more than halfway through this month.  I have a LOT to do still and I just received a baby shower invite for my daughter.  That means a quilt needs to be finished.  Out to the studio and I start in on the BOM quilt that is loaded.  Do you remember that?  It's been there awhile.  At any rate, I want to custom quilt it and things just don't quite go my way.  I know what I want to do and I now know what I need to do first.  Off it comes to rip out what I did do and on goes the baby quilt.  It is loaded, quilted, and off within an hour.  These small ones are so fun to quilt.  The other quilt is now on the sofa for some evening unstitching.


I want to get the last five pages for the quiet book cut out.  It's not really on this month's list, but I am feeling the push for it.  Here comes the mess again.  I get two pages finished before calling it a day.



Ohhhh, my fabric for the sashing and cornerstones on my 2020 sucks quilt arrived.  So, so fun.


18th -  When I took the BOM quilt off the frame yesterday, I also cut the batting for it.  Left on the bolt was a small piece to do the baby quilt and I still had leftovers.  Today, I am taking care of that.  I have cut two pieces for the wall hanging mini-classes at October and November retreats and the rest has become strips to finish out my rug. 


Now, back to the quiet book and by the time the day is over, I have the last three pages cut and pinned AND the mess cleaned up.  


19th -  It's a Journey Day!!!!  Here is your Clue 3 LINK.


Saturday means time with my love and he has early entry to Autumn at the Arboretum.  Here is the LINK to share in our fun and all of the crazy, beautiful, wonderful pictures.



Home for lunch and then Jen called asking us to come over to Abilene for a visit.  Why not?  Within half an hour, we have an overnight bag and are out the door.  Lunch didn't happen so when we arrive a wee bit earlier than we told her, a stop at Sockdolager in the SODA district ensued.  You can see all of our adventures in this Abilene LINK.  

On the way over, I worked on a couple of quiet book pages and managed to get all the background stems finished on both pages, but no pics to prove it.

20th -  Travel home from Abilene after breakfast out and made a couple of stops along the way.  Saying good-bye is always hard, I don't care how long it will be to see each other again.  I so wish I lived closer to kids.  I envy my sister these days.  I DO love my sweetheart, but family is just so far away and the connections with his family are strong but rare in actual seeing one another and we live in the same city, more or less.  It saddens me.


I stitched some more on the way home and managed to complete all the circles and all flower stems.  In addition, four flowers were completely put together and one is almost there.



Once home, I sat and unstitched the BOM quilt with some help from Mister, while watching television.  He helped hold the fabric apart so that I could get into the stitches inside.  That really made it go so much quicker.   

21st -  I am not really on top of my game today.  After working on Journey some, I actually napped.  That is so strange for me.  It helped though, and when I was back awake, I had the desire and energy to attach the binding and label to my little baby quilt.  That meant I had the perfect late afternoon project to just sit and watch a show.  By the time Mister was off work, this little sweetie was TA-DONE.  All that is left is to write on the label and get it in the mail.  The baby shower is on the fourth.


22nd -  I've been starting out each day with some time on the computer and setting goals for myself.  When I'm busy and traveling or out having a good time, the blog picture developing gets behind and I need to take time to put them into my stories.  Yep, that's how it works for me.  Write as I go and insert pictures later.  Setting aside a certain time to get this done each day helps me to catch up and stay that way.  A phone call to Mom lasted 1 1/2 hours and during that, most of my fabrics for Orca Bay (2021 QAL) got pressed.  Yes, I will cut the whole thing first.  It's what I do.  Making messes is also what I do.


Some more work on netted me these finished BAD blocks.  All in all, not a bad day.  How was yours?


23rd -  ALL day has been devoted to Journey.  That doesn't leave much to show, but I'm almost there -- ended the day working on the backing.  Along the way I did manage to complete another couple of BAD blocks.  Every little bit helps.

When I started the "Journey" mystery, I have to admit that I had a second theme in mind.  My sweet man and I are going to be celebrating 10 years of marriage (our own journey) shortly and I wanted a quilt on our bed to honor that milestone.  We had long ago chose red/black/white for our room and I bought this backing.  New York has a very special meaning to us and it's time to put it into play.  What do you think?  I love it.


24th -  A little determination can go a long way --- I finished the back, binding, and label for Journey today and it's off to the studio for quilting -- perhaps tomorrow.

From that point, I finally mustered the energy to make the label and sleeve for Witch's Night Out and it's ready as well.  Can I get them both done this month?  That is the plan, but . . .


A couple of labels are written on -- one so I can get it in the mail tomorrow and one so that I can put it away in my constant desire for a clean room.  Yes, it's ongoing as I make messes faster than anyone I know and the desire to clean it up doesn't happen near as often as the mess-making.


Continuing my quest today, I have scraps from three quilts and one row by row to clean up.  After pulling all the leftover strips, yardage, and strings, I'm left with small scraps to tackle.  Squares of all sizes soon accumulate on the cutting table and the task is completed.  Yes!


25th -  I just don't feel "myself" today.  Every time I stand up, I am light-headed and a little dizzy.  I guess it's just a little disconcerting.  At any rate, my plan is to sit.  However, I still need to do something.  Fortunately, there is always hand work around.  It takes me two movies, but these two pages are now complete.



26th -  Continuing on with our Journey -- Clue 4 is live and that is your link.


Today has been set aside for errands.  We have been to the post office to mail a quilt, had breakfast at Dallas Diner, went to Lowes and Home Depot in search of lights for the pantry/kitchen and other various required items, and a stop at Total Wine for a bottle of gin (we're not quite ready to give up gin and tonics for the season yet - although, almost).  While at Total Wine, a booth caught our attention and I have to admit I was pretty interested - not in the liquor itself, as it was not my cup of tea, but in the process.  It is made from Texas Sotol.  Yep, these plants that you see here and are considered a "nuisance" for ranchers in West Texas.  The company is in Driftwood, TX and has a tour available at the location as well as a tasting room.  The liquor smells a bit like tequila, but doesn't taste like it.  Always fun to learn something new.  We have a recipe card from them and if we are down that way, plan to stop in at the facility.  That's my commercial for today.  The errands are done and Mister is off to Guitars and Growlers for an afternoon delight.  Beer -- 


and flatbread --- perfect.


When we return home, my ceramic bears have arrived and that means it's time to paint.  Baby's arrival is getting closer each day.


27th -  The DMA is on our agenda for this morning and since we are a bit early, a stop at Klyde Warren takes place.  Here is the LINK to all we saw and I HIGHLY recommend clicking and checking it out for we saw some amazing quilt/embroidery work today.   Here are just a couple of them but if you read the separate post, so much information is to be gained, that you won't see just by looking at these pics.  


Once back home, Mister we out to work in the yard so I figured I'd do the same, kinda.  Up to the attic I went and down the scarecrows and fall decor came.  I so love this time of year and by the time I finished, the house just makes my heart happy.   Click on this House LINK to see all the fun.



I ended the day by cutting the papers for string blocks in Orca Bay.  That's all for today folks.


28th - Once I have a bee in my bonnet, it's hard to get me to change direction.  I know, it is silly, but . . .I am who I am.  I spent ALL day cutting for Orca Bay.  As I began, I laid out the first fat quarter and just look at how poorly it is cut.  THIS is how I accumulate strings so rapidly.  Instead of just sliver trimming it to straighten, I will take at least an inch more at the narrowest point.  Nothing goes in the trash that way.  Now, for strips, lots and lots of strips - so that I can turn those into lots and lots of triangles, squares, etc.  I cut all those neutral and brown strips then realize that I can clear the table quicker if I cut the easy parts first. 


Large triangles, triangles I only need a couple of, squares and green strings happen.


Yes, mess making happens along the way.


By the time my back can't handle a single minute more, I have all cut but one part.  Oh my.  (Psst, I cut twice as many green squares as I needed - it figures.)


29th -  The sun is shining to beautiful today and I'm letting it change my attitude a bit.  I have felt stressed to finish projects on some arbitrary timeline that I imposed upon myself.  Today, I'm letting that go.  It's not gonna happen and why do this to myself?  So, what do I do?  I finish cutting Orca Bay -- I'm ready for next May.  Does that crack anybody up?  I have soooo many deadlines in front of me and THAT is what I spend time doing.  Now, I'll just pack it all up until May.  What a funny girl I am.



With projects finally cleaned up, the living room and dining room are cleaned up and looking beautiful once again.  Now, onto pictures and blogging.  The month ends tomorrow.

30th -  I am so doing the happy dance.  It's almost OCTOBER!!!  That is my favorite month of the WHOLE year.  The house is decorated for autumn and my heart is happy.  It's a prep day.  Laundry, first of month bills, balancing accounts, packing, grocery shopping, etc.  I'm leaving bright and early tomorrow morning and am perhaps just a wee bit excited.  At this point, I'm pretty done for the month, but . . . 

How can I incorporate that into this year's theme.  Well, here ya go.  I'm a girl from Montana and each year at this time, the deer and elk ROAR --- it's rutting season.  Now, I'm not saying that is the plan, BUT -- this month is early voting in most places and no matter what your persuasion is, this is your chance to ROAR like the elk and deer.  Don't let it pass you by.

UFO's to quilt:

BOM #1 - quilted and bound - off the frame and unstitched, starting over
BOM #2 - quilted and bound
BOM #3 - quilted and bound
Winter Wonderland - quilted and bound

Current Projects:

Witches Night Out - Monthly Assignment Finished - Set, backing/binding made
Quiet Book - 5 pages completed - YES  actually 7 completed and 3 more cut out and ready to go, some stitching done
Quarantine Challenge -  Quilted and bound
Journey 1, 2, 3, 4 shared/posted - So much fun being seen online
New baby quilt - Done and mailed
Swap blocks - Done and ready to deliver at October retreat

UFO Items for This Month:

Two Whims blocks (QAYG) - YES
Some Neutral strings -
1 Row by Row block - Done, another one ready for applique stitching
BAD blocks as leader/enders - Yes, completed teal, blue, working on yellow.
Stash Buster project (yep, it is moved here now) -

UFO Handwork Items:

Hand Quilting -- roll the quilt once -

Links to Previous 2020 Monthly Posts:

January 2020
February 2020
March 2020
April 2020
May 2020
June 2020
July 2020
August 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment