Saturday, September 19, 2020

Journey - Clue 3


How is your Journey going?  Has it been educational or for pure enjoyment?  Both are great - believe me.  I have absolutely loved working on this project.  I don't know if it is the colors, the units, or just the ability to tune out the rest of the world, but it has brought me joy and for that alone --- it is well worth the effort.

We are ready for another leg of our trip --- PLEASE READ ALL THE WORDS first, before beginning.  Sometimes the pictures are just not enough.

What method of travel should we use this week?  Since I've just returned from a trip to Montana involving flights, I think it's back into the air for a bit.  Doesn't this graphic remind you of wings?  What type of wings?  Insects that land on flowers?

Nope --- we are becoming "Birds in the Air" this week.  I used to think that it would be amazing to be a bird for a day --- to soar through the sky and be able to ride the air currents.  Perhaps I'm just fantasizing, but let's go with that this week.  We are going to soar like birds.

Grab that Easy Angle Ruler and we'll get started.


Unit 3 - Make 164 

FIRST!!!!  In clue 1, I mentioned keeping the HST's that we trimmed off of our strips before cutting the flying geese bodies.  If you did that, retrieve them now and you are already on your way.

Here are two reminder pictures on the Easy Angle, but go to clue 1 if you need a better refresher.  From 2" neutral strips, cut 164 PAIR of triangles.  I always put two strips right sides together as a habit --- it's not required here, but things will go smoother.  I also stack up four strips as I cut and get two PAIR with each cut that way.



Look at all these cute wings.  So fun.


Don't put that ruler away yet.  You will now need 3 1/2" black strips.  From these cut 164 triangles.  These do not need to be mirror pair, but it you cut them that way, it's not a difference.  Another quick look for you.




Fun stuff ---- I used four different blacks for this particular unit and made sure they were kinda fun ones.  I want my journey to include joy.


Now for the last bit we will need to create these units.  From 2" gray strips, cut 164 2" squares.  NOW, we can start to sew.


To begin, we need the 2" gray squares and the neutral wing pairs.


This is your layout!!!  Yes, the little notch at the top is perfectly fine.  As with the flying geese, it is where the dog ears that you would have cut off would be.


Starting on the right side, lay the triangle onto the square as shown.  Set the second triangle aside for now.


Stitch --- yep, I'm a chainer.  I do all the rights first.


Press to the TRIANGLE!!  I know it seems odd, just do it.  Less bulk at the point.


Retrieve that left wing.  It's a bird, right?


Lay it over as such, matching lower corners.


And stitch the second side --- one right after the other.


Press to the neutral again and here is what you should have --- if there is a tiny little difference at the point as I have here --- nothing to worry about.  Move along.


Now for those lovely black triangles.  This is your layout.


Place right sides together.


And chain --- watch those tips if you have a larger needle hole on your machine.  With my vintage Singer, I don't worry about it so much.  HINT:  I place this unit so that the neutral/gray section is on top.  Why???  So that I can watch that intersection as I sew --- you don't want to chop off your point.


And - here is out cute little unit.


Your unit should measure 3 1/2".


Now, we do have to trim some dog ears.  It's great TV time work.


TA-DA --- another clue is done.  Please take a minute to join the Journey Mystery group and share what you have done.  It is a private group and only Journey Members can see who is in it and what they post.  Here is your LINK TO FACEBOOK GROUP.  See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment