Thursday, February 7, 2019

Brazos House Winter Tweener Time

What exactly is Tweener Time?  I've been asked that quite a bit lately.  Well, in short, it is the time "between" back to back retreats.  I am able to stay at the house and Kay allows a few to stay with me.  They, who pay for BOTH retreats, become the tweeners and for a small additional charge, they can join in for the extra days.  There are quite a few who buy both retreats and then go home in between as well, for I am only allowed a certain number to stay.  Thus, this afternoon (Sunday) our tweener time has arrived.  The house is quiet. Oh so quiet and each person goes about doing their own thing and napping takes a major role.

I have opted to work on my QAYG project and am joining columns and adding sashing.  Karbach Chocolate Stout is on my agenda for the evening and life is just dang good.



Brenda finishes her rug and has a TA-DA


Frieda has also finished and here is her beauty TA-DA.  Somehow I missed taking her picture with it.


My evening finishes, having made the piano key borders and attaching two of them.  Perhaps tomorrow I can complete this project.  Fingers are crossed.

Monday morning I set to getting the remaining sashing, borders, and sashing onto this.  Although it is wonky as all get out, I do love the fabrics, colors, and softness of it.  Just don't look closely at it --- soooooo much was learned along the way.

It's beautiful out today and I want to stretch my legs a bit.  Come along with me and walk the route, see what I do, and take in the beauty of this place.




The overlook --- the platform is gone and the area has really been cleaned out, whether by nature or man, I am not sure.





Sights around the yard -



Taking a peek at the neighbors property --- Kay said it was a must do.  It's crazy how much they have opened it up.


New house going in.



Not sure what this platform is for but there is a giant open space in the center of it.


A wood bridge leads over the creek and into a new trail hiking area.

It's so fun and I wander along it for awhile, just seeing where it takes me and how difficult it is.  Quite a ways and not at all if you are wondering.

This is going to be such a great place when they are finished.  I can't wait to watch the progress.


Many angles of the same place.




Benches starting to appear.


A look towards Brazos House.


Back on the farm --- a visit to the chickens is definitely required.




Goats laying in the shade --- early in the morning, the kids can be seen running and playing, putting a smile on everyone's face.


A nice shower, clean clothes and I'm ready to go back to sewing.  My Whimm's blocks are on the table for this week and one gets cut out.  Oh so  many tiny pieces.  Goodness.


Back to the QAYG and I have a TA-DA.  Bound and everything.  Whew --- mission accomplished.


Tuesday - Good morning.  It's wonderful to sleep until you naturally wake up.  What a treat.  As I look out the window this morning, it feels as though a change in weather is about to take place.  The river has disappeared in a mist of clouds and the temperature is dropping.


My second rag quilt is on the design wall and that makes me content.


Rocky and Maria have returned to join our merry little band after several days at home.


Whimm's is now the focus.  I want these last two blocks finished today.  Sew, sew, sew.

Val has finished her charity quilts and getting a little display set up.  I love them so much.  TA-DA Val.


Two blocks are sewn and ready for applique.  Bring on the pressing sheet.



Frieda with a TA-DA


Maria and Rocky with twin TA-DA's --- retreat quilts for their beds.



Another TA-DA for Maria - She is rocking and rolling.


And still another --- adding borders to a 1st session TA-DA


We all decide to watch a movie tonight and while it is on, I cut the pieces for the second Whimm's and do some snipping on rag quilt #1.  The movie is What Women Want and giggles are heard all around.

It's now the wee hours of the night and I am still determined to work on these blocks.  With it almost 1:30 a.m. --- they are complete.  Wow.

They are beautiful and I can take a deep breath now.  The next step is to get all 24 blocks quilted as I am going to use the QAYG method for putting these tops together.  I think that with some monofiliment thread, that will be best.  Now to get out the Quiet Book supplies so that I can actually get busy on it.  Then to bed.


Wednesday - Oh my.  Tweener time is flying by.  Paula has rejoined us, along with Sherri and Gwen while Lydia is departing, so our numbers have increased by the atmosphere hasn't.  It's still quiet and  very laid back.  Miss Paula has created her ball of rope for her rug.  My bad as I forgot to share the information that this just doesn't work well.

I am working hard on Quiet Book pages and have all the parts cut out for 6 more.  It's still a long way to the finish line, but progress is being made.  I have a hippo dental page, a stoplight, some shoes to tie, a train that teaches counting by sight, and a bug jar - with bugs still to cut out.


Movie night is in full force tonight --- It is Second Hand Lions and we have all settled in with either hand work or full focus on the show.  No machines allowed in the background.  I am snipping like a wild woman on my rag quilt.  I REALLY want one ready to wash.  The movie is EXCELLENT and I can't wait to tell my sweet Mister about it.


And TA-DA ---- it is ready to wash.  Wow. 


Wanting to put the Quiet Book supplies away tonight, I set to finish cutting out the bugs.  It's pretty late (early?) by the time I finish, but they are ready to sew.


Making a decision to upload a few pictures turns out to be a questionable one.  It takes FOREVER and just to illustrate, the second rag quilt is completely webbed by the time they finish.  Dang.

Oops, Paula finished her rug and I missed out on a TA-DA picture.  Oh well, here is the piece of art.

Night all --- I think I'm probably sleeping in a bit even though retreat starts again tomorrow.  I have all the tables ready to go and just need to start the routine fresh.


Thank you tweeners --- it's been fun.  We are short one as Lydia left us, but here are our smiling faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment