Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Minding My P's and Q's Retreat - Bonnie Hunter Xing Class

It's been two years of drought in the Bonnie Hunter class division.  I am in big need of a fix and starting today, I have four solid days of classes ahead of me.  To say that I am excited is a crazy understatement.  My hotel is booked, the projects are packed and I'm ready to go ---- at 6 a.m.  It's time to hit the road again after being home for 18 hours.  I simply dumped the laundry into the washer, then dryer, and back into my suitcase.  No time for decisions right now.  Drive woman, drive.  Denton here I come.



I loaned Bonnie my 301 and Sew-Ezi table for her hotel time and all I asked for in exchange was to hold me a spot back in a corner, out of the way.  Mission accomplished and I am so thankful.  I have lots of space for my "stuff" (i.e. crap) and can just sit and sew in the corner.  Perfect.


Today's class is Xing (kind of pronounced as Zhing) and it has crumb blocks.  They scare me a bit and I was hesitant to take this class because of them.  I have chosen batiks to work with and it's time to get started.

But wait.  First up is a pic with Bonnie to get it all started and for me to shoot a quick post into the group.  Now, I can settle in and just learn for a bit.




Introductions are made and Jill (from Minding My P's and Q's) shares the layout of the building a bit.  We are ready to go.



We are starting with crumb blocks and small group demonstrations.

Then it's off to our own little places of joy to see what we can create.  I really have to wrap my head around these and find the working with papers helps me so much.  I made one without ---- that was just not even a bit pretty or usable.


Our next demonstration is on cutting these cute blocks.  It's amazing how they go from wacko to just oh so cute with a few rolls of the rotary cutter.

I am fortunate to have a couple of table mates that I know today.  Lori is sitting beside me and I'm trying super hard not to infringe on her space but we all know that I will fail before the day is over.  It's just what I do.


Carri is across from me and I'm having a great time getting to know her better as well.

Look at these cute, cute blocks.  I think I love them and I was so super scared to make some.  They go together quick and I have to think a bit more than string piecing, but not much.  I am learning to watch the color placement so nothing runs into another, but it's happening.

Now to head out to the lecture lobby for lessons on making the star points that will surround these little crumbs.

Confession time.  If you have followed this blog, you know that I spent several weeks preparing for this class and all my little points and squares are already cut.  I'm going with blue backgrounds and loving them so far.


Both Carri and Lori have blocks to share too - fun, fun, fun.  And FAST!!!  These go together quick.  On the table in front of Lori are several of mine and I've learned to avoid blue in the crumbs.


After lunch is Show and Share!!  I've brought one share for each day and today is On Ringo Lake.


Yes --- a terrible picture of me, but a great one of the back.


I thought I'd share Bonnie's view of this fun-


Back to class we go and now it's time for some string piecing and our demo.


My little bucket of pretties has been emptied and I'm ready to play.  The cut-offs go right into starts of crumb blocks.  What could be better.  Soooooo - if you are making this quilt, that's a tip for you.  Make the string blocks first.  You'll be a long ways ahead on the crumb blocks that way.

Since I cut my project ahead of time, I have sashings and cornerstones to play with and let everyone know just how to put this together.  Once I have a corner mocked up, Bonnie comes over to teach from it.



Here's a view for you --- I think I'm going to love this quilt and it will go together quick.  Can't wait.


With class over for the day, our bellies are ready for food and a table for 13 fits the bill.  Chinese flavors create these smiles --- well that and sheer exhaustion, but joy in being together.


I didn't check into my room until after the class and HOLY MOLY!  It's an estate.  Goodness me.  Now I'm really wishing my sweetheart had come along.  He would have had more room here than in his home office.  Gotta love upgrades.

Deciding to go back down to the room for a bit, I have my quiet book to work on and tonight's mission is to finish the little guy on the camping page.  Once he is done, I am as well and it's off to bed for me.  Tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment