Friday, January 25, 2019

Miller's B&B Winter Gathering

Back in November, a group of us attended the Houston International Quilt Festival and were gobsmacked by some rulers and a QAYG method we had not tried before.  Naturally, the rulers came home with each of us and we made plans to learn the method together, while enjoying Lake Athens and Miller's B&B.  Yep, pretty much invited ourselves and now here we are and it's time to see what we can do.  Lydia, Rocky and I leave Dallas  BRIGHT and EARLY and are at  Sherri's by a little after 9.



An empty front room  is ready for action and soon all corners are filled with machines and chairs.  WE are ready.  Right?  Nope.  First things first.  We have to cut fabrics to make the blocks.



Grabbing a spot on the end of the table, with a bench by the window, I set to figuring out my color combinations for blocks.


Directly across from me is this sign.  I gotta tell ya, a few months from now and I would seriously do it.  However, within a couple of hours, I have all the little bits for my blocks cut and I'm ready to sew.  Well, almost ready.  It appears that I have managed to leave a few important items at home, my thread tree being one of them.  Now what?  I've seen people use cups before, but I still have the height issue.  How about a fork from the kitchen?  Add a little bit of tape and  . . . Success!!!


All the parts get moved and my little station is ready to see some action.


My goal for today is to cut the block parts and get all blocks sewn, their backs cut, and batting ready to quilt.

Blocks go together quick and I'm pleased with them.  Look close at the ones to the right.  In fact, enlarge the picture and notice the lake in the background.  What a view!!!

I am determined - seriously.  I am tired and wish to go to bed, but know that if I don't reach my goal tonight, I'll have a really hard time reaching tomorrows goal as well.  Cut, cut, cut.  TA-DA.  I am done and all my blocks are ready to quilt.  Now for some jammies.


As I'm changing, I notice some items in the bedroom and stop to stare.  I then have to pad out, find a camera, pad back into the room and take pictures.  This use of an old window is sublime.  It may just become future Christmas gifts for my children.  I like it so much.  The case on the right holds so many of Sherri's treasures.  It's perfect and beats the tar out of my armoire.

Back out to the living room for some visiting and fun with friends.  Isn't that the best part of being together?  So much work is being done, but we are laughing at the same time.  Well, sometimes.  There have actually been moments of intense quiet today too.  A sure sign of concentration by everyone.

Peek-a-boo Paula.


Lydia appears to have won the race to sleep.


Leaving our hostess and Rocky busy working away.  I'm calling it a night.


Ahhhh, a good night's sleep  is amazing.  I am ready for day two and hope to go walking with Sherri this morning.  Alas, I'm too late rising and she has already departed.  Soooo ---- some pictures of our morning on the lake.  It makes me think of On Walden Pond.  How about you?  Crazy beautiful



While I'm out on the VERY chilly porch taking pictures, I realize that I'm really not that upset over missing the walk.  Dang, it's cold out here.  On the way back in, I have to go through Sherri's studio and spot all her goodies from previous events.  This is just so fun.

Our hostess with the mostest has returned and is making breakfast.  The smells are divine and I'm realizing just how hungry I really am.  Like any group  of teenagers, we are all milling about the kitchen just waiting, waiting, waiting.  Okay, okay, one of us is actually working and not just waiting.


Quilting has commenced and I am once again on a self-determined goal.  However, after lunch we decide to make a run into Athens to pick up a few needed items and stop at the quilt shop.  Sherri speaks so highly of this shop that I want to go and check it out as well.  Off we go and it is, indeed, all that I've heard.  You can peek in on everything at The Needle Niche in this Spotlight LINK.  It's work a look.  I promise --- especially if you like to see original shop ideas.

Once back (with an interesting stop at Wal-Mart thrown in and sodas all around from a drive-thru on the way home) it's nice enough out to walk down to the lake.  Sherri and I are soon en route and I can feel myself being grounded once again.  This feels so much like home to me.


If I zoom in on the picture above, you can see what we are watching ---- ducks on the move.  Well, maybe you can see if you enlarge this picture on your screen.


Unbeknownst to us, Rocky has snuck down to the lake and is photographing us. 


I hear a PSSST and turn around to see her as she asks us to smile.  Okie dokie.


She joins us on the dock to watch the ducks progression and see the Canadian Geese on the opposite shore too.  Yep, three shadows on the water.  Selfies will return at some point -- perhaps next month.


Our photographer has one more request and we are happy to oblige.  Ask me to sit ANYTIME.


The walk back up the hill lets me see how truly beautiful our world is today --- now that it's not freezing out.  That's not a joke.  While Sherri was out walking this morning, I noticed that my car was covered in frost.  A first for her.  Such a beautiful afternoon though.


Okay --- back to work.  I've got blocks to finish and I'm a long ways away still.  By the time I'm about to fall over from desire to sleep, I finish my goal and task for the day.  They are quilted.  Not all are correct, but they are done.  Now to trim before sleep is allowed.  I want to be able to start attaching these tomorrow morning.  Whew --- task complete.


Once again, not everyone makes it to bed before sleep overtakes them.


Good morning!!  This time I am able to make the walk and just look at our beautiful morning!  Two miles later, we are rejuvenated and ready for food once more.  I really should do this every morning and I am super impressed that she does.


Okay --- let's get these blocks laid out.  I think I like it.  Sewing the columns together goes quick and now to select the sashings for each section.


Meanwhile Sherri has managed to make a wonderful bird's nest.  If you're gonna do something, so it right.  No matter the task.


I've hit the sashing stage and our whole reason for being here.  The TOOLS!!  Well, looky here.  They work as slick as we were shown in the demo.  It will take some practice but by the time this quilt is finished, I think we'll have a good grasp of them.

I decide to make all the sashings and just pin them in place.  I will sew later, once my machine has been cleaned and is ready for something new -- and new thread.  Monofiliment for the first time ever.  Isn't it just fine fishing line? 

Well, that's as far as I'll get this weekend.  They day is coming to an end and I need to get back to Dallas.  Rocky, Lydia, and I load up the clown car (yep, Mister's term) for the return trip.  Thank you, Sherri, for an amazing time and such fun with friends. 

We are treated to a glorious sunset on the way home.  Ahhhhh.  Life is good. (3 pictures)




Thank you, Rocky, for the sunset pictures and a few others as well.  I really appreciate them and they add so much.  It's hard to take pictures while driving.  Until next time --- keep on creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment