Saturday, October 20, 2018

Autumn Splendor - Clue 8


Well, my anniversary has come and gone.  Wow -- the years are flying by.  One of my favorite anniversary trips was the one we took to New England as "leaf peepers."  Oh the beauty of it all will never leave my mind and just in case it does -- I have pictures.  Not these ones though.  Again, the following are from my 'hood.

If the year goes just right, we get the entire color scheme during the fall.  I love the reds, oranges, and golds that permeated the landscape and leave just a hint of green behind.  What a glorious time of year.




Clue 8 is here.  That means it is time to put some more of that wine into play.  Now, if I'm being totally honest - I'm not really happy with my choice of wine fabric but . . . . it is what it is.  I would have gone with a more solid wine, but I'm on my fabric fast and working with what I had.

There is just a tiny bit of cutting this week and it's a SUPER easy week.  I'm not joking.  This is for those who are still trying to get caught up.  One of my least favorite things is to get to the end of a mystery and feel overwhelmed and unable to finish.  This is your catch-up week and we will all finish soon.

Both sizes work the same for this beginning part.

Working from leftovers first (if you have them) --- I found some of these sections that were made way back in clue 3.


Take them apart right in the middle.


We will only use the wine/gold sections.


Cut off 3 1/2" sections.  You need a total of 8 (eight) and so see how many you can get from leftovers.


I could not get enough so grabbed a couple of leftover 1 1/2" strips - one gold, one wine


Stitch, making sure you have that 2 1/2" seam and cut your remaining 3 1/2" chunks.


With a leftover chunk of wine -- cut 3 1/2" strip(s) depending on size. (mine was 5 1/2" wide so I had to cut 2)


And then cut that into 4 (four) 3 1/2" squares.


That's ALL the cutting for this week.  Let's build.

Unit 23 - make 4

Once upon a time, you cut 4(four) - 2 1/2" squares.  Locate them and add in the wine squares you just cut and the wine/gold bricks.  Here is your layout.


Stitch them up and they should be 5 1/2" square.  Are they?



Now, let's play with the blocks a bit.  Are you ready?  LARGE SIZE first -

Big Block 1 - Make 1

It seems pretty straight forward with the graph, but you need to look at the picture to make sure your lines are going the right way.  SUPER IMPORTANT!  Once you have it laid out correctly, stitch it together.


Just keep going -
Big Block 2 - Make 1

Same process, watch those directions.


Getting larger now --

Big Block 3 - Make 1

Watch those directions closely.


There are more seams to match now so make sure to pin.  Y'all know how much I hate to pin so if I say to, you probably should.



Big Block 4 - Make 1

Follow the process and it'll be great!



SMALL Size -  Obviously you have less blocks to work with and they are different.  Don't get confused and since I didn't sew the small one, I just have layouts to show you.
Big Block 5 - Make 2

Yes, you make two of these BUT watch the directions.  They are different.  See the pictures for clarity.


Big Block 6 - Make 1

As I explained above, pin your seams and really watch the directions of fabrics.


Big Block 7 - Make 1

You've got this now --- stay alert.


EVERYONE NOW!!!

One last item this week -- Remember these 2 1/2" strips?  Sew them end to end.  That's right -- easy peasy.



And that's all there is to this week.  If you are caught up, take a deep breath and relax.  If you are still playing catch-up, here's your chance.  Until next week --- stay creative and enjoy the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment