Sunday, November 16, 2014

Learning to Transfer Photos to Fabric


I have a project that I am working on and I got it into my head that I want to try photo transfer to fabric for it.  I have absolutely no idea what I am doing but watched a couple of you tube videos and am willing to give it a try.  A quick trip to the grocery store for a roll of freezer paper gets me started.  I have chosen a bleach white Kona cotton to use as the base for my photos and am ready to start.

Step one:  Cut a piece of freezer paper the same size as a sheet of printer paper.  I simply used a pencil and drew around an 8 1/2" x 11" letter I had gotten in the mail.  Repeat step with fabric.

Step two:  Iron the wrong side of fabric to the shiny side of freezer paper using a pretty hot iron.  Make dang sure that the edges have sealed.

Step 3:  Place the fabric/paper into the printer so that it will print on the fabric side.  You must have an ink jet printer for this to work and will most likely have to use the manual feed as the trays don't always like the feel of the freezer paper or fabric.  I thought that I knew my printer well, but the first attempt came out on the freezer paper.  Dang, try again.

My second attempt works beautifully and I can barely tell the difference between the two.  In the picture, the one on the left is the one on the paper and the one on the right is my fabric.  They both look vibrant and beautiful.  I could not be happier.

Enough for today as I don't want to push my luck, but tomorrow the real printing begins.  Feeling confident now.

No comments:

Post a Comment