Friday, January 3, 2014

Extra Credit Class - Bonnie Hunter - Scrappy Bargello

Today is my extra credit class.  Woohoo!  I simply grabbed a bunch of solids that I had sitting around and cut them into strips.  I added some black and am hoping to pull a rainbow of sorts.  It could be a mess -- I guess I'll find out as I go.

The first thing I do is sew 36 strips together in a long panel and then sew the ends together to make a loop.  I am the first one finished so Bonnie takes it to the cutting board and uses my quilt for her demo.  She folds the panel in fourths, squares it up, and starts cutting 2 1/2" strips from it.



She then opens a seam on the first strip loop cut and lays it out.  She lines up the next loop so that it is one off, and opens the next seam so that she can lay it beside the first one and start the pattern.  This continues for all the loops that were cut.


Now to sew the long strips together.  What will I get?  Oh, cool!  It is absolutely vivid.

Everyone in class is full of oohs and aahs as I hold it up.  I LOVE all the other ladies units also, but this one definitely stands out.  We all think it reminds us of a hot air balloon.  I was hoping for more of an Amish look and so will perhaps have to make some adjustments, but do like the rainbow design.

The entire process is repeated and then the two panels are attached.  This quilt really goes quickly.  I KNOW that this project will not become a UFO --- it will be finished in January.


Another great day is in the books.  I told Allison that I was kinda sad for it to end and she remarked that I shouldn't be.  She said, "today was a great day, tomorrow will be another one."  Words to live by.  I will use these 4 days to carry me through for several months and keep my motivation levels up.  Keep on quilting girl --- year of the quilt begins in earnest now.

I cannot express enough thanks to all the ladies who impacted me this past week.  You took me through a tough time with your love and enthusiasm.  I will always be grateful.  A special thank you to Bonnie and Allison.  I hope to see you both again soon --- perhaps a trip with Allison to Moda?  One hopes.

Now -- home to my sweetie who has been totally abandoned this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment